9/7 year olds - your thoughts on attractions.....

tjknitz

DIS Veteran
My step children do not get excited about anything. When we told them we were going to WDW (none of us have ever been), they were happy, but to be honest I've seen more excitment from them when we tell them we are going swimming :confused3

So anyway, they are not really into planning and telling me what they want to see. I am basically putting together a touring plan on the attractions that I assume they would want, but Im also keeping in mind my 13 mo old - she needs to be entertained and have fun too. I have a feeling that the two older kids are going to be disappointed by Dumbo, Tea Cups, Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, etc. I've noticed that most of the rides (esp in MK) aren't what you would call 'thrill rides'.

How do your 'not babies/not yet teens' kids react to these attractions?

HMM well my 2 are 7 1/2 and 6 as well as a 2 year old. We went in March
They really still loved pp flight, Small world, tea cups. The older one did not want to do Dumbo though! They loved Buzz, we did the speedway car thing, the Goofy's barnstormer. Pirates, jungle cruise, magic Carpets.
they are not yet into the bigger rides. They would not want to do Space Mountain or Splash yet.

Just wanted to add, my 9yo is a boy who wants big thrill rides. My 7yo is a girl who has no fascination what-so-ever with princesses. I told her that I was going to try to get reservations at Cinderellas Royal Table, she asked me if Hannah Montana was going to be there. When I told her no, she said she didn't really want to go! AHHHHH I'm so excited for this trip, and I have a feeling I'm going to be disappointed by their reacitons!

How do they react to the airplane/helicopter ride and the Tilt-a-Whirl ride which are common at carnivals and most amusement parks?

I would think they would probably react to Dumbo and the Teacups in the same way.

My 9 and 7 year olds are pretty ho-hum about them (actually they avoid the Teacups/Tilt-a-Whirl because of motion sickness concerns).

On the other hand, they like Peter Pan and Winnie the Pooh OK. You don't find an attraction like those at the local carnival.

I think your kids will have a great time. It is amazing how just the atmosphere of Disney excites all ages! My daughter (8) wasn't into princesses either, we did the princess dinner and she was thrilled. Don't forget the haunted mansion along with the other attractions listed previously! I think you will be surprised at how into the trip they will become when you get there!

Thanks everyone! I just really hope that Disney gets them excited! I will be so let down if we go into that park and I'm the only one acting like a kid!

In general, they like the Tilt-A-Whirl's at carnivals, I'm just mainly scared by the 9yo's reaction to the lack of thrill rides.

I'm just mainly scared by the 9yo's reaction to the lack of thrill rides.

If he likes thrill rides, then you want to be sure to hit Rock n Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror at Hollywood Studios, Expedition Everest and Dinosaur at Animal Kingdom, Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad at Magic Kingdom, and Mission Space (orange version) and Test Track at Epcot. (Beware of motion sickness at Mission Space orange, however.)

I have a just turned 7 year old and my 8 year old will be 9 in May, they both love Disney, this past trip was not our first but I will tell you I think that they were more excited during this trip than any other that we had taken in the past :) my 8 year old is a thrill ride junkie and has to ride Space Mtn, Big Thunder, and Splash over and over again my 7 year old on the other hand... not so much his all time fave ride is Pirates and they both love The Haunted Mansion, they still love the magic carpet ride, tea cups, race cars, they really love Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin and the thrill ride junkie personally asked that we go on its a small world and pp flight. I am sure as soon as they walk in see the balloons and the train, hear that music and smell the great smell of main street and see the castle they will get excited, I am 32 years old and have gone to Disney ever since I was a small child and I still get excited everytime I see those things :lovestruc.

9 and 7 year olds will be tall enough to go on any ride normally, so I say have them go on all of them! :thumbsup2 If they aren't into planning, go ahead and familarize yourself with the layout of the parks and certain attractions you want to go on.
When you get into each park, give them their own maps and let them pick (unless they give in, then let them look at maps online before you go) some rides and attractions they'd like to see.
Don't worry, within 10 mins of being there they will be into helping you pick out rides! :wizard:
Have a great trip!

disneylandhunni i personly stilll like dumbo..
and im 13..
is that a bad thing..?

DW loves Dumbo--its one of her favorite attractions at WDW. She is -- lets say over 40, as am I. We ride it together.

I have a 9 and 6 yo and though they've been to WDW more than most at their age they both have a good time. My 9 yo son doesn't love Small World but rides it because his sister enjoys it. As they get older they are liking the thrill rides more but to them Disney is much more than just the rides. Its the restaurants, the monorail, the resort pools, the characters, the Lego store in DTD, the waterparks... the list goes on and on. As your trip gets closer hopefully they will get more excited. Once they get there I have a feeling you won't be able to tear them away when you leave.

In the Magic Kingdom, my 8 year old daughter loved:
Astro Orbiter
Space Mountain
Buzz Lightyear
The Mad Tea Party (more intense than you think)
PhilharMagic
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Splash Mountain
Pirates of the Caribbean

I can't say that she was disappointed by anything, though. I think you'll be surprised by how much their enthusiasim picks up once you get there. I think it's hard for kids to be really excited about going because they don't really know what to expect.

Oh, disappointed like when I asked my 15 year old niece if she wanted to go down in September and she said no, she'd rather go to NYC? :sad2: We live in NY, I'll take her to NYC some weekend!

So, what has worked is to get her involved in the planning-sort of. Might your kids be interested in one of the water parks? I have always told DN that water parks were not on my radar because "we can go to Buffalo and swim" (and yes, I know there's more to them, I just want my park time!!) So I caved and we're doing a water park this year. DN is also picking some of our dining ressies.

From the sounds of it, the kids aren't that excitable about anything, so try not to be bummed that they aren't excited about this either. Maybe ask them where they might want to eat.

My husband spent the year I was planning our Disneymoon by replying to every question with "I don't care, we're going to Daytona", and then walked into the Magic Kingdom and asked where the 'golf ball thing' was, so I really do feel your pain. Just plan enough that you are comfortable, and leave room for things to come up. You never know, the kids might decide they love Buzz and want to ride it ten times!

Ress

I suspect they have in their minds what they think wdw is like, and I bet they are thinking a "simple kiddie mouse cartoon with simple kiddie rides. " not very "cool"
It is very hard to explain to people what disney is truly like

I would show them the pool at your resort and maybe typhoon lagoon(plan a day there since they love swimming) that may be enough they get excited about your trip

www.allearsnet.com has pics and info that may help them get into the mood and give you a way to share.

maybe rent some movies like POtC and toy Story..things to help them know the characters so when they go they "get" the theming

and if all else fails my 3 - 12 yr olds and my 9 yr old and I are happy to go with you and I can guarantee we will act as excited as you are hoping your kids will act :rotfl:

My step children do not get excited about anything. When we told them we were going to WDW (none of us have ever been), they were happy, but to be honest I've seen more excitment from them when we tell them we are going swimming :confused3

I did a trip with my DSD when she was 10. I do not know your relationship with your step kids but I can tell you my trip with her was very different then I expected. Before I get flamed, I would like to say that I have a great relationship with my my DSD now. She is 21 and joining the Navy and I am proud of her.
We surprised her on the way to Florida that we were going to WDW(then age 10). She was not excited. When we got there she wouldn't sit with us on the bus. She acted mad and was not as "excited" as I had hope. Right? It was the happiest place on earth why on earth was she not as happy as I wanted her to be? The answer was that she did not want to go to WDW but not with me. I was her competition for her dad. The whole trip she was acting up in order to get ALL of the attention from her dad. Mind you, she is really stubborn so she kept this up the whole trip. It was hard on everyone. We had her aunt and cousin with us too.

Honestly, I was clueless as to why she was acting that way. Now, I know her and could see that she needed some time with her dad without me around. As our lives went on, I always make some special time for her and her dad and back out of things. Once I do that, things run smooth. I wish I could have don't things differently back then but I just didn't "get it". Even though I had divorced parents. Anyhow, those wonderful bonus kids may be worried about something else that they don't feel comfortable talking about. Or I could be completely off......:)

My oldest was 9.5 last year when we went and she absolutely loved everything. (She does love thrill rides-- she and I went to Six Flags by ourselves this summer and only rode the coasters-- but she truly enjoyed the mild attractions.)

Because of the age difference, some may tell you to split up, but we never did ( my other kids were 4 and almost 2). We used fastpass for all of the major attractions, so we never had to wait long. One benefit the older ones will find to having the little one around is that they will get to ride the thrill rides twice if you use rider switch. If they're really not enthusiastic about some of the mild attractions, you can mention this trade off-- they ride small world and pooh with the family and then get to double up on the thrill rides.

One evening, my oldest and I had a mother-daughter night out and left the little ones at the resort with daddy. We just did the attractions she was interested in, but honestly she really enjoyed sitting on a bench, eating dessert, and soaking in the atmosphere. Her best memory from the trip was watching the fireworks while riding BTMRR. :goodvibes

My boys are 8 and almost 7, and they love love love all things Disney. However they tolerate Its A Small World b/c it is DH's favorite ride :rotfl2:

My boys are not really into planning, but they have an amazing time every year when we go. Try not to stress about their reaction, I bet they will have an amazing trip.

BTW - I love Dumbo too.

Have you considered spending a day at Universal Studios Island of Adventures?? We spend one day there a couple years ago and had a really good time, it was a trip without the kids so DH and I could ride all the thrill rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter