9/28/13. Disney Wonder 7 night Bahamian out of Galveston.

I think you could walk there - it's probably a 10 min walk I would guess looking at the map. The breakfast at HH is very hit and miss. Danish Pastries, cereal, bagels and coffee & juice. The first time we stayed they had plenty, the last time, they were out of almost everything and didn't restock it. We went and ate at Denny's on the Sea Wall last time instead but this soda fountain place looks awesome! La Kings on the Strand is also a great place for an old fashioned Soda Fountain & candy store. I'm going to try and hit that up in the afternoon when we get there. :thumbsup2

Thanks! It really depends on HOW excited I am that morning! If I get up to see the ship, I'll probably get things together, and we'll go! However, if we're exhausted from all of Fridays events, we may 'sleep' in a tad, eat whatever (as long as I get my coffee & water, I'm good) at HH., and get ready to take the car over to Hotel Galvez.

Google maps says .4 miles maybe 6-7 Galveston blocks. We plan on walking. :)

I can't vouch for the food, as I've never eaten there, but the reviews are decent on tripadvisor. It's pretty hard to mess up eggs though.

Thanks Candice! Love the thought of a walk on a beautiful day! However, NOT if it's as humid as Memphis and then coming back to get everything together. How hot is Galveston in Sept? If I'm up as early as I think, this sounds lovely...but I don't want to be a smelly mess when I meet Mickey either! :)

My PAT is11:30. I'd like to show up earlier if I could. Does anyone know If that would be a problem? Also what time do they open the port and start letting people in?

They have opened at about 10:45 am in the past, and they don't monitor PAT like they are said to do in PC, so you can show up earlier than your PAT. However, I have heard that your boarding # is assigned based on PAT, so you may have a little longer wait once in the terminal.

How hot is Galveston in Sept? If I'm up as early as I think, this sounds lovely...but I don't want to be a smelly mess when I meet Mickey either! :)

It can be pretty steamy in Galveston in September, but you just never know. It will be a little cooler than it is in Houston, and it will probably be nice early in the morning. :goodvibes

7 WEEKS!!!!!!

:cheer2::cool1::banana::yay:

:yay::dance3::cheer2:

Good morning Cruisers!

Just a heads up, if you haven't booked your pre-cruise hotel...

Lastminutetravel.com has the Hilton Galveston for $119 a night. And Comfort Suites for $95.

And I believe BOTH of these provide free cruise parking, but I'd call ahead just to make sure!

:yay: :yay:

THAT is so cool! We love vintage places! How far is that from HH? Can we walk? We'll have a car, but know we won't want to go too far! But, yum! My 14dd got giggly;) when she looked at the website and the food!:)

We live in the Houston area, been to Galveston a ton of times, and have never heard of it. I looked at the website also. Think we are going to drive down tomorrow morning and check it out. Thanks for the information

We live in the Houston area, been to Galveston a ton of times, and have never heard of it. I looked at the website also. Think we are going to drive down tomorrow morning and check it out. Thanks for the information

Let us know how it goes. :)

I've been to Galveston tons and I'm ashamed to admit I've never really been in the Strand area. We always stay on the seawall and then shuttle/drive to the port.

Finally got our GTY room assignment: room 2144. Was hoping for a surprise upgrade, but happy that the wait is over at least. Quite a bit further aft than I was hoping, but it's our first cruise so I'm sure it'll be fine.

Almost time! Note to self: must get DS's passport ordered next week. Have dawdled far too long on that one!

Finally got our GTY room assignment: room 2144. Was hoping for a surprise upgrade, but happy that the wait is over at least. Quite a bit further aft than I was hoping, but it's our first cruise so I'm sure it'll be fine.

Almost time! Note to self: must get DS's passport ordered next week. Have dawdled far too long on that one!

Did you book a GTY 9D room? If so, it looks like you got a small upgrade. I'm hoping for at least a small upgrade from deck 1 with 2 small port holes. Of course, I will be happy no matter what! :-)

tlynk said:
Did you book a GTY 9D room? If so, it looks like you got a small upgrade. I'm hoping for at least a small upgrade from deck 1 with 2 small port holes. Of course, I will be happy no matter what! :-)

Come to think of it, we were 9D, so yes that is an upgrade and the big porthole will definitely be nice. We may still ask about a verandah upgrade in port just for yucks.

It is cool finally knowing our room number, makes it feel much more real now!

Come to think of it, we were 9D, so yes that is an upgrade and the big porthole will definitely be nice. We may still ask about a verandah upgrade in port just for yucks.

It is cool finally knowing our room number, makes it feel much more real now!

I've stayed on Deck 2 in an OV and enjoyed it. Have a wonderful cruise! :-)

Well, we went to Star today. Here's the info I can provide to everyone. It is on 23rd street. Harbor House is on 21st, so go over 2 blocks to 23rd and down 23rd for four blocks. It's not a long walk, and there is pretty much always a breeze in Galveston. Yes, it will be humid in September.....it's ALWAYS humid here. Star is an old fashioned soda fountain with just what you would expect to find. We had breakfast and like one comment said, it's pretty hard to mess up eggs. DH had a pretty standard plate and was happy with his. I put them to the test with eggs Benedict. Probably wont order that again, I prefer poached eggs and these had been kept warm so long that they were pretty much hard boiled. Prices were reasonable, plenty of variety. Lots of jewelry, purses, tees, etc. to purchase. If you have your car, or don't mind a LONG walk, try Sunflower bakery on 14th street, a couple of blocks from Harborside. We've been there many times for breakfast, great food, casual atmosphere, and a bakery just in case you need to get a head start on your cruise weight!

Well, we went to Star today. Here's the info I can provide to everyone. It is on 23rd street. Harbor House is on 21st, so go over 2 blocks to 23rd and down 23rd for four blocks. It's not a long walk, and there is pretty much always a breeze in Galveston. Yes, it will be humid in September.....it's ALWAYS humid here. Star is an old fashioned soda fountain with just what you would expect to find. We had breakfast and like one comment said, it's pretty hard to mess up eggs. DH had a pretty standard plate and was happy with his. I put them to the test with eggs Benedict. Probably wont order that again, I prefer poached eggs and these had been kept warm so long that they were pretty much hard boiled. Prices were reasonable, plenty of variety. Lots of jewelry, purses, tees, etc. to purchase. If you have your car, or don't mind a LONG walk, try Sunflower bakery on 14th street, a couple of blocks from Harborside. We've been there many times for breakfast, great food, casual atmosphere, and a bakery just in case you need to get a head start on your cruise weight!

Thank you for taking the time to tell us all about Star. We have wanted to try Sunflower Bakery too, and we will have a car so we may have to give that a try.

I really need to try and shuck some pounds before this trip begins!! LOL

I've always been a "dress for dinner" kind of gal on a cruise. Not necc formal, but more Sunday best. I work from home, so I rarely get a chance to dress up, when I get the chance, I grab it! I still plan on dressing for dinner and I'm not going to let the new "shorts" rule affect me.
I also don't understand all of the drama. Everyone, Just do what you want and don't worry about everyone else. DH may decide to wear khaki shorts to dinner, I'm not going to let it bother me! I'll still look fab!

Hi Friends!
Who is staying at Harbor House? Seems like a lot of us are.
Anyone staying at Tremont House?
I, of course, haven't booked a room yet and can't decide between HH and Tremont House.
I may be sleeping in the rental car at the port if I don't get my act together soon.
Ugh DECISIONS! First world problems, I know!

Hi Friends!
I, of course, haven't booked a room yet and can't decide between HH and Tremont House.
I may be sleeping in the rental car at the port if I don't get my act together soon.

We are staying at HH but Tremont House was my DHs first choice. I am sure the TH is nicer than HH just from what I have read on TripAdvisor. But HH has views of the cruise terminal. :-)

I've always been a "dress for dinner" kind of gal on a cruise. Not necc formal, but more Sunday best. I work from home, so I rarely get a chance to dress up, when I get the chance, I grab it! I still plan on dressing for dinner and I'm not going to let the new "shorts" rule affect me.
I also don't understand all of the drama. Everyone, Just do what you want and don't worry about everyone else. DH may decide to wear khaki shorts to dinner, I'm not going to let it bother me! I'll still look fab!

I LOVE IT!!!:lovestruc: I couldn't have said it better! :)

Hi Friends!

We're there too! Only because I booked way back and got a better deal than the Tremont or Hotel Galvez, and we can park free at the Galvez!

We are staying at HH but Tremont House was my DHs first choice. I am sure the TH is nicer than HH just from what I have read on TripAdvisor. But HH has views of the cruise terminal. :-)

My first choice was Hotel Galvez...but after we booked the flying, the car, I had to 'scale down' :rotfl: a tad. I did read good reviews on HH, and hope to see the ship come in, so I'm excited!:goodvibes

Hello, all! I am so late to the game! We just finished booking our trip (last minute) and are so excited. My dad hasn't been in the best of health lately and we didn't know how things would go, but we are good to go and I can't think of a better way to celebrate my parents' 35th wedding anniversary than spending 7+ days with them enjoying their grandkids with Disney! :thumbsup2
We have all (besides the kiddos) cruised a bunch with many other cruiselines but this will be our first go with DCL. I'm anxious to get on the boat already! I filled out the forms for participating in the fe's but didn't know what else I need to do to prepare and participate. Any advice on details for jumping in full force this late in the game would be much appreciated. I've read up a bit on the past thread. Can't wait!
Jennifer:cheer2:

Hello, all! I am so late to the game! We just finished booking our trip (last minute) and are so excited. My dad hasn't been in the best of health lately and we didn't know how things would go, but we are good to go and I can't think of a better way to celebrate my parents' 35th wedding anniversary than spending 7+ days with them enjoying their grandkids with Disney! :thumbsup2
We have all (besides the kiddos) cruised a bunch with many other cruiselines but this will be our first go with DCL. I'm anxious to get on the boat already! I filled out the forms for participating in the fe's but didn't know what else I need to do to prepare and participate. Any advice on details for jumping in full force this late in the game would be much appreciated. I've read up a bit on the past thread. Can't wait!

Welcome! :cheer2: How exciting to book a last minute trip, and very glad to hear that your Dad is well enough to make it. :thumbsup2 I have taken my 85 year old Mum on 2 cruises since DCL came to Galveston - it's such a great vacation because there is something for all ages without anyone feeling left out. :goodvibes

I would suggest that you get some type of door magnet decorations - they are really easy to make yourself. :goodvibes my Mum LOVED them because it was easy for her to spot her door ;) and other friends we've sailed with were so happy to have their door decorated because the kids feel left out when they see so many doors decorated on DCL! :crazy2: Other than that, you can make yourself crazy by reading all the tips on these boards - good luck with that. :scared1: :rotfl2:

Welcome! In case you didn't know, "We" also have a group Facebook page. It's "Disney Wonder 9/28/13 7 night Bahamian out of Galveston."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter