• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

9/27/14, Returning to the Southern Caribbean

A cavern you ride through

This is a bit blurry due to the movement but it was in a cavern and it changed colors. It was huge

I forgot to say it is a constant 32 degrees the entire time.

Vehicles you ride in. They hold 6 at a time. This is where you get off an walk up next to the penguins. One area the glass is so low that you can tough them. Of course that isn't allowed. But that is how close you get to the penguins.

Me entering the gift shop.

This is a large outside wall with carvings of all breeds of penguins. Each is numbered. Then on the floor is a round plaque the represents the part of the globe they are from. If the number is in red it means they are endangered.

As we looked back as we left the area the big black rock suddenly looked like a penguin from the distance.

Is anyone has a specific questions about this new exhibit, please ask,

Kathy

Howdy everyone,

I have been watching the travel network today.
They are showing Caribbean islands, including a couple we are going to on this cruise!!!:thumbsup2
Plus many we have been to many times.

Catch you later,

Kathy

Hi
We just booked the cruise! We're only 2 days into our first cruise and booked the second!

There will be 4 of us traveling. Myself, husband and 2 children ages 4 and 3.

Hope to get FB invite.
Thanks!

Hi
We just booked the cruise! We're only 2 days into our first cruise and booked the second!

There will be 4 of us traveling. Myself, husband and 2 children ages 4 and 3.

Hope to get FB invite.
Thanks!

WELCOME!!!!:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

I have added you to FB :thumbsup2
May I ask your name? I am Kathy and DH is Greg.

We did the same thing on our first cruise. It is addictive, so you'll probably book your 3rd cruise on this one :lmao:

If you want to o the FE just let me know. I am keeping the list for this cruise.

Kathy

Update on DW (Donna):

As some of you may know, Donna aggravated a heal spur in a low speed 2007 auto accident. The spur was never an issue, until the accident. There is SMALL litigation STILL ongoing from the 2007 accident (mostly, to cover medical bills, and damages to our car).

FAST FORWARD 6-7 years: Donna fell walking down the basement stairs, as a result of the heal spur. She sustained abrasions and contusions on her elbow, as well as her shin. Within minutes after falling, her leg swelled up to about 2x the normal size. She was taken to the local ER by ambulance, as she was in extreme pain (screaming LOUDER than child birth). X-rays were negative, but we were told the excessive swelling did not shown the bone (swelling was too large). Within a day or so, a hematoma started to develop on her shin ... which eventually grew to about 2" x 4". After about one week, the family Doctor removed the skin, which (essentially) turned the hematoma into a 2nd degree burn (no skin) ... which fosters bacteria growth. Family Doctor prescribed a Fracture Boot to help he walk ... but the sides of the boot caused too much pressure on the sides of her leg. At this point, I was driving DW to, and from work every day.

The swelling was still excessive ... an MRI was ordered. Insurance company denied the MRI request, citing she should first obtain an X-ray (DUH, they could not read). Because of this delay, DW was forced to go back to the ER, due to intense swelling and pain. ER could not order an MRI, but ordered an UltraSound ... which proved to be negative. MRI was re-ordered ... which was negative for a fracture.

After the family doctor looked at the MRI, she saw points of internal pooling of liquids (blood or puss), and this past Wednesday, ordered her to an Orthoaedist immediately. Due to personal contacts, I was able to contact an Orthopaedic Surgeon acquaintance of mine, who was able to get her in to his office within 24 hours. Upon seeing her leg and the MRI, he said she needed EMERGENCY SURGERY ... the NEXT DAY. He would not wait until after Labor Day ... not would he wait until the weekend.

We were fortunate enough to have recently had bloodwork tests performed ... left an overnight message for family doctor to make copies, and submit referral to the hospital. We arrived at the hospital at 1PM this past Friday ... went through intake ... and went under the knife a few hours later.

The Orthopaedic Surgeon put his scalpel on the heavily inflamed area ... and it literally POPPED ... like an over-sized ZIT on a young teen (surgeon was thankful for wearing a full face shield). The Ortho Surgeon was able to have a Vascular Surgeon observed the surgery, to check on possible internal damage. Luckily, there were no obvious signs of internal damage. Her leg was wrapped up, and ordered to return for follow-up visit to Orthopaedist on Tuesday, and Vascular Surgeon on Friday (remember, most everything was now closed, until Tuesday AM). Interesting enough, the surgery lasted a whopping TWELVE minutes!

Mind you, the surgery was completed after hours, Friday night. Two prescriptions were ordered (controlled substances) .. which would need to be filled on Saturday. We went to Costco on Saturday morning ... they refused to fill the prescriptions, unless Donna was there in person (not going to happen). To add insult to injury, PA law requires pharmacists to verify controlled substance prescriptions, and the local Costco received answering machines of the two Doctors who wrote the prescriptions. For some reason, they did not press "0" to reach a Doctor (who would have been able to confirm the scripts). To make a long story short, I made 4 trips to Costco, after having called the Pharmacist Manager an A%%hole, and complained to the Store Manager. A discussion ensured between the Pharmacists MGR and Store MGR ... and the Pharmacist agree to fill two of the prescriptions, after being able to confirm one script with one Doctor (but still refused to call the 2nd Doctor).

The Vascular Surgeon was leaving the state on Saturday, and would not be returning until Friday AM. He ordered DW to schedule an appointment for Friday ... regardless of whether there was an opening. Because of there the damage is located on the skin, there is very little fatty tissue ... very little blood vessels, and almost no possibility for blood flow to regenerate a scab and or new skin. This means, skin grafts are iminent!

Had DW broken her leg, it would have healed in 6-10 weeks, with moderate pain. Since this was actually a DEEP MUSCLE/TISSUE injury, recovery time is 8-12 weeks ... not sure hoe much time for the skin graft to take hold.

DW and I feel like a one-armed paper hanger ... so much to do ... but almost impossible to get stuff done, because of issues with not being ambulatory.

We were fortunate to have recently acquired a reclining, cushioned chair, which has the ability to elevate the feet, and recline almost flat. That helps DW *enormously* since she has to keep her leg elevated above her heart.

We are spending out time looking at cruises ... hoping to keep our minds off of issues at hand. :sad2:

We've been handed a bushel of lemons ... and are trying to make a boatload of lemonade. Can't wait for our next cruise! :dance3:

Steven

I have not been able to log on as frequently and just read this today. I am sending all my blessings and prayers. I hope she gets better soon! :grouphug:

Happy Saturday everyone,

I hope everyone's weekend is going great!!!

You realize it's just slightly over 1 year before we cruise!!! :thumbsup2

This weekend will be a quiet one here. No plans here accept for a couple of football games to watch. Still too hot to enjoy going out and then the afternoons have nasty thunderstorms.

Who has plans this weekend, anyone??

Kathy

Happy Monday everyone,

I hope your week is off to a good start.

I just heard from Steven and he will be off line for a few days.

So this is a good time to talk about him behind his back while he is gone. :lmao: Of course he will get even when he is able to get on line again, so be on guard.

Donna is healing up nicely too.

Tomorrow we will head to WDW for a few hours. Not sure which park we will go to yet. The peak of the tourist season is over so no long lines to wait in and the humidity is lower lately so we shouldn't roast too bad, at least not in the morning.:thumbsup2

Kathy

I can't believe this week is over already. Boy that went by fast!!

No big plans here this weekend. May go to a theme park on Sunday since that is a quiet day. We went to MK earlier this week and there was NO crowds at all. At noon you could still walk right on any ride you wanted to.:goodvibes

I hope it is that way on Sunday where ever we go.:thumbsup2

Kathy

I am new to this DIS board and try to navigate my way around the best I can. I am sorry if I repeat things or ask questions that have already been answered!

We (my DH Eddie, children Joseph and Natalie) just completed our first Disney cruise and it was amazing. We were on the Wonder Sept 2-9 to Alaska. While on board we booked this new cruise. So excited because it is a different itinerary. We've never been anywhere in the Caribbean/Bahamas or anywhere like that!

On this last cruise we participated in FE. We had a lot of fun - the kids especially. I enjoyed making the FE gifts- too much. (I posted a pic on FB and not every one was happy about the spoiler-- oops!)

I am trying to figure out what I want to do or can do for this cruise. I will take any suggestions. Pirates? Halloween?

There will be 2 adults and 2 children. Joseph will be 4 years (2 months shy of 5 years!) and Natalie will be 3 1/2.

We will be in room 8602.

Looking forward to having a magical time with everyone!

Hi We are looking forward to a magical time on this cruise.

We are excited about the new changes they made to the Magic.

Thanks for posting all of the information about the various ports. It is helpful for us to have such a resource in once place!

Maybe after a few cruises we will have our act together.

Hi We are looking forward to a magical time on this cruise.

We are excited about the new changes they made to the Magic.

I just sent you a letter with a few ideas for the FE. If you don't get it let me know.
I am also EXTREMELY excited about the changes to the Magic. They sound great but I was also looking forward to seeing her the way she was the other times I cruised on her. It feels like we are going home. With the changes it won't feel that way.
But I'm sure it will be like cruising on a new ship and that is always exciting!!!

Kathy

Good morning,

Off to check on the progress of the house this morning then to stop at the store for a couple things and get the oil changed in the truck and tires rotated.
Not sure if we will do anything after that because with the heat index today it will be 100 this afternoon. :scared1:

Back later to see if anyone has posted anything else today,

Kathy

Howdy all,

been very quiet here lately.

I hope everyone is well and having a good start back to fall.
It's only 1 year and 7 days until we will all be meeting on the ship. :cool1:

Kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter