9/16/2017 Magic Transatlantic from Barcelona

We are booked as well, celebrating 20th anniversary with our kiddos! We are in a Family Oceanview with Verandah, first DCL cruise for us! Cruised before but never for a trip of this length. Always wanted to visit Spain and I'm so excited to be doing it like this... Barcelona makes me nervous though. Are the pickpocket stories blown way out of proportion? Anyway - happy I found this thread, looking forward to a positive interchange of information!

Welcome -- and congrats. And this is your first Disney cruise you will have a blast! We are repeating our WBTA on the Magic that we did in 2007 -- can't wait. I will add you to the first page. If you want to give more details about kids' ages and how many, etc., let me know.

Just got a great airfare from Newark to Barcelona on Norwegian Air!! Tuesday 9/12/17 least expense one way $239. We booked the $329 fare which included seat assignment, meals and 1 checked bag. We are from Boston, but since the flight doesn't leave Newark until 11pm (arrives at 12:25pm on Wednesday-no layover) we have plenty of time to get there!

Karen: Are you on this cruise? Do you want me to add your information to the first page?

I also jumped in -- we changed our travel date from Sunday to Monday 9/11 and it came in at $219/pp. We paid $309 for the upgrade to Low Fare+ and saved about $45/pp by getting the luggage, meal and seat assignments. We picked exit row -- never done it before, but after the horrific claustrophobic experience on British Air last year, we needed room LOL. I am beyond happy with the final price -- save more than $700 over what we paid in 2007 on Aer Lingus for one-way!

Grateful it is non-stop, but never flown that late, so eating the provided meal at Midnight should be interesting! At least it also includes breakfast!

And yes, having booked the non-refundable airfare (I bought the insurance for illness), looks like my decision to retire next year is pretty much made :thumbsup2

Welcome -- and congrats. And this is your first Disney cruise you will have a blast! We are repeating our WBTA on the Magic that we did in 2007 -- can't wait. I will add you to the first page. If you want to give more details about kids' ages and how many, etc., let me know.
Thank you! Kids will be: DD 15, DS 12, DS 7

We are booked as well, celebrating 20th anniversary with our kiddos! We are in a Family Oceanview with Verandah, first DCL cruise for us! Cruised before but never for a trip of this length. Always wanted to visit Spain and I'm so excited to be doing it like this... Barcelona makes me nervous though. Are the pickpocket stories blown way out of proportion? Anyway - happy I found this thread, looking forward to a positive interchange of information!

Welcome! I am sure you will love it!

Barcelona is like any major city crime wise. You just have to be careful. They also have a lot of con artist too - so like someone will come over and ask you to donate to a charity and while they are talking to you someone else will try to swipe something. Just don't go flashing money around or anything and you will be fine I'm sure. It does have the highest number per year so it is something you need to be aware of. Just be extra careful if you are in a crowd of people and don't put wallets in back pockets etc. Prague is number 2 on the list and I went there last year and felt no more wary than I do when I go to London. It just about being sensible and there are lots of tips on various websites for things to watch for like -> http://www.barcelonayellow.com/bcn-tourist/115-safety-barcelona-top-tips-pickpockets

Barcelona is like any major city crime wise. You just have to be careful. They also have a lot of con artist too - so like someone will come over and ask you to donate to a charity and while they are talking to you someone else will try to swipe something. Just don't go flashing money around or anything and you will be fine I'm sure. It does have the highest number per year so it is something you need to be aware of. Just be extra careful if you are in a crowd of people and don't put wallets in back pockets etc. Prague is number 2 on the list and I went there last year and felt no more wary than I do when I go to London. It just about being sensible and there are lots of tips on various websites for things to watch for like -> http://www.barcelonayellow.com/bcn-tourist/115-safety-barcelona-top-tips-pickpockets

We got all the same lectures and warnings on our Med cruise in 2007 about Rome. We just stayed alert, kept our stuff hands on and didn't have any problems. Hey, even around here you have to be alert anymore. It's the world we live in, but it won't stop me from traveling or having a good time. It certainly cannot be any worse than the packs that were knocking people over and robbing them in Rio during the Olympics.

Congratulations and what a great way to celebrate (to you too, RedSox68)!

I treat all major cities the same--with street smarts. I do not hang a bag on the back of my chair unless I am in a corner seat surrounded by walls, I don't wear flashy jewelry (engagement ring, while not flashy, stays in the safe), I purchased a camera bag that looks like a crossbody purse for my dSLR (have a smaller point & shoot now), I don't carry a lot of cash while in port, and I tell my husband to just take his ID, insurance card, a credit card, and some cash in his front pocket (small bi-fold wallet). If you know where you are going, walk with a purpose. If you need assistance, ask someone working in a store or restaurant. I used to work in NYC (was also born there) and take the bus on occasion to see a show or shop because we live close, probably closer than those in the outer boros. I know how to bob and weave through city crowds and how to ignore scammers.

Be aware of your surroundings and rely on your peripheral vision. Don't walk with blinders on your eyes. Don't be nervous. Make sure you enjoy your time there. We are planning to arrive in Barcelona a couple of days before the cruise because the last time we arrived the day before our 2014 Med cruise and saw nothing of the city.

One additional tip not having to do with safety -- be sure to wear shirts/blouses with sleeves while in port. My daughter was denied access to a couple of churches on our Med cruise because her shoulders were showing.

Congratulations and what a great way to celebrate (to you too, RedSox68)!

I treat all major cities the same--with street smarts. I do not hang a bag on the back of my chair unless I am in a corner seat surrounded by walls, I don't wear flashy jewelry (engagement ring, while not flashy, stays in the safe), I purchased a camera bag that looks like a crossbody purse for my dSLR (have a smaller point & shoot now), I don't carry a lot of cash while in port, and I tell my husband to just take his ID, insurance card, a credit card, and some cash in his front pocket (small bi-fold wallet). If you know where you are going, walk with a purpose. If you need assistance, ask someone working in a store or restaurant. I used to work in NYC (was also born there) and take the bus on occasion to see a show or shop because we live close, probably closer than those in the outer boros. I know how to bob and weave through city crowds and how to ignore scammers.

Be aware of your surroundings and rely on your peripheral vision. Don't walk with blinders on your eyes. Don't be nervous. Make sure you enjoy your time there. We are planning to arrive in Barcelona a couple of days before the cruise because the last time we arrived the day before our 2014 Med cruise and saw nothing of the city.
Thanks so much for your thoughtful response! I plan on following your advice and having a great time. Hope you do too!

One additional tip not having to do with safety -- be sure to wear shirts/blouses with sleeves while in port. My daughter was denied access to a couple of churches on our Med cruise because her shoulders were showing.
Great tip! Thanks :-)

Thanks!

Donna and Roger will be on this our third WBTA after 2010 and 2015. Rm 2644. Fifth cruise on the Magic! We will be in England and Spain for a few weeks before arriving in Barcelona. Staying at the W hotel on the pier.

Oh yes! A shall works too for this as you can pop it over your shoulders.

We're on this cruise - me, wife and (to be 5 years old) son. this will be our 3rd Disney Cruise, however wife and I did a transatlantic on Queen Mary 2 eastbound in 2009

Only issue I'm having is that my dinner sitting was changed by Disney to late sitting - this might force us off the cruise. I'm hoping to resolve but I was informed that early sitting was way overbooked and that there are many toddler/babies on this cruise. Hopefully something gives.

Very much looking forward to it - have never been to Spain or Portugal, St John's - well I've spent a few nights on George Street in my youth (being a Bluenoser)

We're on this cruise - me, wife and (to be 5 years old) son. this will be our 3rd Disney Cruise, however wife and I did a transatlantic on Queen Mary 2 eastbound in 2009

Only issue I'm having is that my dinner sitting was changed by Disney to late sitting - this might force us off the cruise. I'm hoping to resolve but I was informed that early sitting was way overbooked and that there are many toddler/babies on this cruise. Hopefully something gives.

Very much looking forward to it - have never been to Spain or Portugal, St John's - well I've spent a few nights on George Street in my youth (being a Bluenoser)

Interesting! I think at Paid in Full things will change. Currently I'm still down as main seating but wont help anyone me changing as theres only me lol

Karen: Are you on this cruise? Do you want me to add your information to the first page?

I also jumped in -- we changed our travel date from Sunday to Monday 9/11 and it came in at $219/pp. We paid $309 for the upgrade to Low Fare+ and saved about $45/pp by getting the luggage, meal and seat assignments. We picked exit row -- never done it before, but after the horrific claustrophobic experience on British Air last year, we needed room LOL. I am beyond happy with the final price -- save more than $700 over what we paid in 2007 on Aer Lingus for one-way!

Grateful it is non-stop, but never flown that late, so eating the provided meal at Midnight should be interesting! At least it also includes breakfast!

And yes, having booked the non-refundable airfare (I bought the insurance for illness), looks like my decision to retire next year is pretty much made :thumbsup2

Yes, we will be joining everyone on this cruise, celebrating our 30th Anniversary! Karen and Michael, room 7032.

There is a large FB group.... I don't know if this is linked or not. But lots of great sign ups, FE, meets, exchanges, etc... However, I'm not on this roll call and would love to be. Rachael (38), Caleb (13), Kyla (12) room 6069.

Last edited:
If someone wants to start one, please feel free. I think it might be better to make a separate thread for it though, with a link to it from here, so that this thread can be just trip information and details and doesn't fill up too quickly.

You are on the same deck as we are -- love deck 7. I have added your stateroom number.

Last edited:
There is a large FB group.... I don't know if this is linked or not. But lots of great sign ups, FE, meets, exchanges, etc... However, I'm not on this roll call and would love to be. Rachael (38), Caleb (13), Kyla (12) room 6069.
FB group- Disney Magic 2017 WBTA (9/16/17 Westbound Transatlantic)

Hi, welcome to the cruise meet thread! You might not be aware but guiding DIS members to other social media sites is against Disboard policy: http://www.disboards.com/threads/important-disney-cruise-meet-threads-please-read.3298909/

Last edited:
Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter