• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

8mm, VHS, etc conversion to DVD

I am so sorry about your dd.
I have the same problem. Nog good ideas, but I am going to borrow or buy it off Craigslist to get them onto DVD.
I still have MiniDV now, so I will have the same issue again.
Good luck.

TY Mickey, :littleangel:

How many hours rec time on your mini DVD?
I need something for invesitgative work. Good zoom, and transfer to DVD & copy. Some will be just accident scenes, the longer would be fires, building collasps, lightening damage to golf courses etc.

All I have is my camera I have been using but I need more zoom and time. I have been offered more work and need the video now. Just don't want to spend $$$ but want to have convience for family and work.
Gosh they are so small. I remember our first was almost $1,000 and took VHS tapes.

di

Hello y'all. I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this topic but I figured since it was photography, you of all people would be able to lead me in the right direction. I have come across about 8 VHS tapes of family events from the 80's and would like to transfer them from VHS to DVD. There's a catch though. These videos were stored in my father's damp, garage in a box and some of them do not play. Perhaps mold damage or some other type of damage from the environment. I do not believe they have gotten wet, as in wet I mean rain damage but I'm sure the Southern humidity has done a number on them and since I am ignorant to video restoration, I do not want to try and open them myself and damage the only video evidence I have of my mother's memory. My brother and father said a few of them played but some did not. I know there are places that you can send the tapes to to be converted and restored. I am wondering if any of you here have used any and may be able to direct me in the right direction? I have search online and found a few but most either want to know what each video is of and which are damaged. I am unable to tell as I do not want to try and play them and ruin them completely. Also, if anyone has used the mail in service of one of these video archiving places, how do you go about mailing them as to not have them damaged or erased from being x-rayed?

Sorry for the questions, I would just like some guidance on this subject so that I can have copies of the memories of yesteryear.

Thank you in advance.

Have you checked out digitalFAQ.com? They have some good articles on the subject.

No I have not, but I will take a look at it. Thank you.

Anyone else have any experience with this type of thing? Personal stories/suggestions?

If the oxide coating on the tape has flaked off in spots or stuck to the back of the previous layer of tape, then restoring the tape is much more difficult. Along one edge of the tape is something called the timing track, and a VCR won't hold a steady picture if this is missing in spots.

The most careful method of restoring a tape starts with removing the spools from the cassette, putting them on a test jig, and carefully "fast" forwarding the tape manually while gently peeling off each layer. After getting to the end, the tape is rewound and a special pad is used to capture minute oxide particles and dust. Should significant oxide flake off even this carefully, chances are the tape is too far gone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter