8AM or 10:30AM @ Tusker House

Wes1stTrip2016

DIS Veteran
Any benefits to an early ADR at Tusker House?

Not sure if we should eat early and FP the Safari for about 10 OR do the safari first thing and wander before a 10:30am ADR. Park hours are 9-5pm. Can we make a 10:30am ADR if we do the safari as soon as we arrive?

The benefits of an early ADR is a practically empty AK and the fact that you aren't cutting into much of your park time. You should be able to get on KS very shortly after your ADR/park opening.

We do opposite and opt for 10:30 breakfast. We like to get to park at opening and ride a few things then head over to eat breakfast and FP the Safari afterwards. I know they say it's better to see animals in the morning but we've done it this way in the past and have always had an enjoyable ride

We did a late Boma breakfast 10:45 on our last trip, AK had EMH and opened at 8:00. We rode Safari once, EE 3-4 times, Dinosaur once and Primeval Whirl before we headed to breakfast.

Tusker House is a buffet/character meal - so if you select 8 am - you CAN be done by 9 am and head over to the safari right then. Now - if you are slow eaters/linger at a meal - maybe it will take 1.5 hours - and then a FP for safari would be useful. If you plan on hitting EVERYTHING at AK (all three shows, all rides) - I would do the early breakfast because park hours at AK are short and it's tough to do everything in one day. Now - if you don't plan on hitting every attraction, then the 10:30 option is a good choice. Hit a few things at rope drop, wander, then head to breakfast. Safari ride is about 15-20 minutes. With a FP+, I'd estimate 30 minutes for it. The FP line at 11am the other day was LONG - took like 10 minutes to get on the ride. And on occasion, an animal in the road can slow down that ride and back things up for a few minutes.

We've done both, and both have their benefits. Primary benefit to 10:30 is that you are likely to be able to grab a taste from the lunch buffet, too. They start putting it out at 11:00 (leaving breakfast out until 11:15, so there is overlap), so if you want "brunch," it can be a good way to do it. My wife is not a huge breakfast fan, whereas for me there's not much better than a breakfast buffet, so it worked out well for our family. But we also enjoyed our 8:00 option, as we were basically first up at the Safari with no line. AK has moved up on our favorites list over the last year or two, so we can easily fill a full day there. If we did TH again, it would likely be the 8:00 option.

Just to throw in my two cents...we loved our 8am breakfast. We were the second family through the tapstiles into the park for our early breakfast, and I'm not sure where the first family ended up because we were all alone. The Magic Kingdom is pretty first thing in the morning, but it never feels truly empty during early ADR time because there are more options for early entry meals. Animal Kingdom is a whole different story. We really felt like the park was open just for us.

We checked in, were one of the first groups seated, the characters came to our table first, and we were finished by 8:30am.

This allowed us to further explore the part of Africa around Tusker House and get some lovely pictures. We wandered slowly, talked to CMs, and just generally enjoyed our morning. We didn't rush to jump in line for the safari, and were in the second truck to go out onto the Savanna.

It was one of our best mornings at a park EVER, and we were so happy to be able to take the time to really SEE everything around us.

I hope you enjoy your vacation and your day at the Animal Kingdom :):)

Just to throw in my two cents...we loved our 8am breakfast. We were the second family through the tapstiles into the park for our early breakfast, and I'm not sure where the first family ended up because we were all alone. The Magic Kingdom is pretty first thing in the morning, but it never feels truly empty during early ADR time because there are more options for early entry meals. Animal Kingdom is a whole different story. We really felt like the park was open just for us.

We checked in, were one of the first groups seated, the characters came to our table first, and we were finished by 8:30am.

This allowed us to further explore the part of Africa around Tusker House and get some lovely pictures. We wandered slowly, talked to CMs, and just generally enjoyed our morning. We didn't rush to jump in line for the safari, and were in the second truck to go out onto the Savanna.

It was one of our best mornings at a park EVER, and we were so happy to be able to take the time to really SEE everything around us.

I hope you enjoy your vacation and your day at the Animal Kingdom :):)

Well I was already sold on the 8am, but your post confirms my decision! THANK YOU!!!!

We like the pre park opening ADRs whenever we can manage them. More park time, no rope drop herd to deal with, no need to eat at the resort first (no way will the kids wait til 1030 to eat!) and no wait to be seated!

The benefits of an early ADR is a practically empty AK and the fact that you aren't cutting into much of your park time. You should be able to get on KS very shortly after your ADR/park opening.
We were seated right at 8 and We finished breakfast at 9:05 and had a 10 minute wait for the safari!

You are so welcome! We LOVE Animal Kingdom :dogdance::dogdance:

Here's a link from my report that shows some of our empty park pictures and our meal at Tusker House: http://www.disboards.com/threads/yo...ort-updated-10-1.3431978/page-9#post-54246556

The AK stuff starts after the giant picture of a stuffed Fozzie bear, LOL!!

Hope you have an amazing trip!!

Off topic, but what did you FP+ that day, since you were in early and able to knock out the safari? My son will be 5 and I don't anticipate him riding EE or KRR. Thanks!!

If you aren't getting a FP for EE, with a 5 yo, I'd get FP for the Safari a second time and one for Nemo as I think FP seating for that is nice. For the third? Maybe Adventurers outpost to get a picture with Mickey and Minnie. I don't think a FP is needed for FOTLK.

Off topic, but what did you FP+ that day, since you were in early and able to knock out the safari? My son will be 5 and I don't anticipate him riding EE or KRR. Thanks!!

We had a FP for Dinosaur, EE, and Kali, but we only used the ones for Dinosaur and Everest. It started raining, so we skipped Kali and left the park. Depending on what he likes, you could do a second later FP for the safari, to see it early and then again later. Festival of the Lion King or Nemo might be a good choice too. Or even the Minnie/Mickey meet and greet. Fast Passes are more beneficial there staring around 11 or noon, depending on the ride. He might actually like Kali. It's not too rough or scary, and if he doesn't get wet he can wear a poncho (my 12 year old HATES getting wet on rides and always puts on a poncho!).

Aaaannnd I see the person above me just answered pretty much the same way :):)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter