• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

85 in April vs. 91 in July?

ALA3Princesses

Earning My Ears
The last 2 years we have gone in April and it's been hot...often up to 85. This year we are going over the July 4th week for my birthday and I'm a bit nervous about the heat. At 85 for us it's hot, but manageable. How much hotter will it feel in July really?

There will be quite a bit more humidity, so it'll definitely feel hotter. It won't be too much of an extreme difference, but it may feel about 10 degrees hotter

There will be quite a bit more humidity, so it'll definitely feel hotter. It won't be too much of an extreme difference, but it may feel about 10 degrees hotter

Depending on the difference in temperature and humidity, it will/can make a difference of about 20 degrees.

Yeah, humidity is the thing that makes the difference. 85 and low humidity is a dream come true compared to 90+ with high humidity. I live in Eastern NC, and it gets absolutely brutal here in the summer. And unlike spring weather when it still cools down overnight, it stays muggy and miserable pretty much around the clock. The only difference is the sun isn't frying you at night.
BUT, you'll be at Disney. Swimming pools, water parks and rides, and plenty of air-conditioned attractions and restaurants. It's not like you'll be out there doing yard work all day. You've got plenty of options for getting cooled down. And there will most likely be a thunderstorm every afternoon/evening to at least cool it down temporarily. Sometimes when the sun comes back out after a storm, it's downright steamy.
Just know it's a different kind of hot. Like a hot, wet towel is wrapped around you all the time (including your face).

A lot more humidity in July. I felt like I was roasting. Even the backs of my knees were sweating, haha.

If you do go during July, I would go to the park at rope drop, stay for awhile, then come back later in the evening.

Where are you from? I'm from central Texas, and it's hotter here than at Disney in the summer, so we have no problem going in July. The key to enjoying Disney in summer is to take breaks in the afternoon at your resort (get one with a good pool), wear water-friendly shoes for those late afternoon showers (it cools off a lot after those), wear loose-fitting clothes (avoid denim, which tightens when wet), sunglasses, and a wide-brimmed hat or a UV umbrella/parasol. Drink plenty of water.

Preparing for summer in the South is just like preparing for winter in the North. You wouldn't visit Aspen over Christmas wearing open-toed sandals and no coat, or expect to sit outside in the snow for eight hours straight. Likewise, for an Orlando summer, you should bring summer-appropriate clothing, and also plan your days to include break times indoors or in pools during the hottest time of the day, rather than forcing yourself to push through the heat all day.

If you're prepared, summer at Disney is great. The warm nights are lovely, and the swimming is awesome. It will get hot mid-day, but it isn't Kuwait or the Sahara Desert. You'll enjoy yourself.

Last edited:
This week it's been hot and humid and in the 90's at Disney. Feels like July. And the crowds have felt like July too. Stay hydrated. All parks have air conditioned buildings. Pick meals where you can eat indoors to cool off. Typically, summer months have increased hours.

wear water-friendly shoes for those late afternoon showers (it cools off a lot after those)

Several people said this on here, "Oh wait for the showers, it'll be better after the showers!" So we were "looking forward" to the storms :) But, they didn't help at all. Not even close. The showers came, temps dropped a max of 4-5 degrees (we watched specifically), but the humidity was even higher after the shower than before, which means it felt just as warm as before, and even stickier. :(

Hopefully OP will experience what you did, but I know after our experience, I certainly wouldn't tell someone to plan on it! (Though I agree water-friendly shoes are a must in summer).

Lolol anyone who says "it'll be better after the showers" has never experienced rain in Florida when it's the summer and it's hot. It's cool during the rain, then once the rain stops you feel the humidity even more and it feels hotter than it did before the rain

The last 2 years we have gone in April and it's been hot...often up to 85. This year we are going over the July 4th week for my birthday and I'm a bit nervous about the heat. At 85 for us it's hot, but manageable. How much hotter will it feel in July really?
It will most definitely be in the low to mid 90's and will probably feel like low 100's. Hydrate and go early with breaks in the middle of the day.

The worst of it for me, and I've never gotten used to it even after decades in Orlando, is the fact it's often in the high eighties, humid, and totally still at 11pm and after.

Right now at Disney at 8:30pm it's 81 but feels like 84, with 60% humidity

We went last year in April and again in July. I am not a fan of the heat and humidity at all so I was nervous about July but it was fine. I didn't find it that much hotter than April (I realize the temperatures can vary and maybe it wasn't as hot as it could have been in July). I found the worst part to be that it never really cooled off much at night in July. We sat on our balcony most nights but not for as long as I would have liked because I was still sweating even though we were just sitting.

Lolol anyone who says "it'll be better after the showers" has never experienced rain in Florida when it's the summer and it's hot. It's cool during the rain, then once the rain stops you feel the humidity even more and it feels hotter than it did before the rain
You know I was about to say that. I have rarely experienced a cool down after t-storms in FL. It does happen for sure at times but not too often in my experience. Usually it's a steam/sauna bath afterwards and even worse if the sun is out.

Here in KC we get the yucky humidity as well. I remember for my 21st b-day I went to Vegas it was 103-106 every day I was there (I went in early June even though my b-day is early May)..yeah it was hot but boy I came back home and it was mid-80s and it felt terrible so much worse than Vegas IMO: dry heat versus humid heat big difference.

That being said when I've gone in the past in the summer to WDW and in September to WDW (when it still is pretty hot) I usually find a ride or two during the day (shoutout to yes the kinda boring Ellen's Energy Adventure or a fav of my husband Carosel of Progress) to use to cool down and sometimes all it takes is to sit down in a place that is cool enough for a while to help out especially (well for me at least) if it's stormed and now it's a sauna my body seems to be able to handle that better than being in the humidity recently enough then storms roll through and then it's even more humid.

Been to WDW once in June, twice in September, once in October and twice in November. Im from Chicago where it is HUMID in summer (midwest corn crops and massive Great Lakes=moistness). June was like a new level of hell. I have family in Texas and have been there a ton: hot, but dry. Florida is thick. We drink gallons of water and use mister fans. Ice on pulsepoints work.

At least in April you have the chance of it cooling off somewhat at night. In July, it is hot all day with a slight cooling after the sun goes down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter