• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

8 hour layover at Toronto airport.

npoon

Mouseketeer
I have an 8 hour layover at Toronto airport awaiting my Florida flight..any suggestions as to how to pass the time away quickly?
Is there a spa in the airport?

8 hours in YYZ is nasty. I've had it happen twice because of weather delays.

The good news is that if the weather is fine, you can actually get out and enjoy a bit of the city. Spend a few hours at the Hockey Hall of Fame or do a tour of the Steamwhistle Brewery. Assuming that you're already checked in for your 2nd flight, I would allow 2 hours travel time, plus 30 minutes for security and 20 minutes to walk to your gate. Typical travel from downtown to the airport is only 1 hour, but an accident in the wrong place or a power failure at a set of traffic lights downtown can really ruin your day. (Summer lightening storms were the worst because they would knock out power downtown, doubling or tripling commute times to the airport.)

For spa treatment, the most convenient spa that I'm aware of is in the Sheraton Gateway Hotel (a convention hotel attached to T3). The hotel was nice a few years ago, but I suspect that it isn't as nice since Air Canada stopped using T3. Since YYZ installed a train system (replacing buses) to connect T1 and T3, it's very fast and efficient to get around. If the spa at this hotel is appealing, you should have plenty of time for a treatment. You would only have to leave enough time to get from the hotel to the terminal (2 min walking), train to T1 (5 min max), security screening (5-30 minutes), and walking to you gate (YYZ T1 is huge, allow at least 20 minutes).

8 hours.. that a long time. i had a 3 hour layover on our way back home 2 weeks ago and i went stir crazy

if you can leave the airport i would say do that because besides a few places to eat and a few shops not a whole lot to do there for 8 hours

I'd get a room at the adjoining Sheridan. It's pretty comfy. I"d have a nap or watch some tv in the privacy of my own room.

I live near YYZ and have for most of my life.

I certainly would not advise going downtown. You would end up with about 2 or 3 hours to spend down there. It will take a lot longer than an hour to get there from the airport via public transit....a cab could cost around $40-$50 each way. There are just too many things that could happen that would prevent you from getting back in time.....our highways can have total grid lock at any time of the day without reason. Just this morning one side of the main highway into the downtown core was closed by police for an investigation....the traffic delay was over 2 hours for those that were caught in it.

The closest place that you could go to kill time would be a mall. Sherway Gardens is very close....approx 10 minute cab ride. There is a movie theatre across the street from there as well.

Another option would be to book a room at one of the airport hotels and go for a swim and just relax for the day.

I live near YYZ and have for most of my life.

The closest place that you could go to kill time would be a mall. Sherway Gardens is very close....approx 10 minute cab ride. There is a movie theatre across the street from there as well.

There is no movie theatre across the street from Sherway Gardens. That movie theatre closed years ago and is now a Home Sense, Sears Furniture Store and a Home Outfitters. Their is a movie theatre down the Queensway at the corner of Islington. That would require a bus or a cab. It isn't walking distance from Sherway.

I second the day rate at the Sheraton (attached to terminal 3). Just go to the reception area to see if there is a room available. I do also love the 10 minute manicure (I've always had great service and add the extra hand massage!).

If you are flying air canada, you could purchase a pass to Air Canada's Maple Leaf lounge ($30). You have access to computers, a shower, tvs and magazines. You also have food and drinks!

Have fun!

There is no movie theatre across the street from Sherway Gardens. That movie theatre closed years ago and is now a Home Sense, Sears Furniture Store and a Home Outfitters. Their is a movie theatre down the Queensway at the corner of Islington. That would require a bus or a cab. It isn't walking distance from Sherway.

So right...sorry I forgot. I avoid that side of the mall.... I stick to the Evans side.

I would get a day use rate at one of the airport hotels in the area and go lay down or take a shower or watch TV.

So right...sorry I forgot. I avoid that side of the mall.... I stick to the Evans side.

Ha, it is time then to come around the corner to the dark side and see what is new! There is a Marshalls, Bouclair and a variety of other stores and dining venues. The Queensway has a lot to offer now in that pocket across the way from Sherway :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter