8 days, two kids...best resort?

Tammy296

DIS Veteran
the title says it all...
family of 4 trying to decide where to stay. We have to take into consideration a dining plan, tickets, etc.
Probably the absolute best we can do is a moderate. I thought about a split stay but I don't know how to get the dining plan on entire length of stay....

Is Coronado and CBR really large resorts? We stayed at POR before but in the princess rooms so not a lot of walking there. We don't want to do a lot of walking just from point a to b at our own resort but would like a pool with a waterslide if possible. If we cannot do such a resort we will probably need waterpark tickets (for at least one day) but seems as though to add those onto a package is A LOT more...

thanks in advance.

Yes, they are large, they have internal transportation if you are on the other side and don't want to hike all the way over. Personally, I'd just get a preferred room at either location so that a location close to the central building and main pool is a guarantee!

In terms of mods, I've only stayed at POR and CBR and greatly prefer POR. I really only wanted to chime in to let you know you can do a split stay AND have dining on both reservations. What you would do is book a room, dining and ticket (for ENTIRE length of stay) package for your first resort and a "ticketless" package (room and dining, no tickets) for your second resort. You just need to book the "ticketless" package over the phone - they can't be booked online.

How old are your kids...?

If they are under five, I'd suggest CBR for the splash pad and zero entry pool. Get a preferred room (or, if not in the budget, request the building directly across the footbridge...I think they are Aruba/Jamaica).

I am a big fan of CSR and would recommend it for kids that love waterslides and swimming. CSR is also big, but I don't think it's as important to book preferred (compared to CBR). Splurge on Business Class if it's in the budget, or request Casitas 4/Cabanas depending on which area appeals to you.

The Port Orleans French Quarter is a smaller option when it comes to moderates. It is easy to walk from one end to the other and there is only one bus stop which makes bus transportation to the park a lot quicker. It has a really fun food court and a really nice pool with a waterslide. Added perk is that you can also use the pool at Riverside if you would like. There also is boat transportation to Disney Springs which could be a fun thing for the kids!

We arrived at the exactly what ChasingLeslie is recommending. We considered CBR because we really liked the pirate pool, but would definitely want a preferred room there. I think my older kids, 10 and 13 would prefer the larger slide at CSR and the food appeals to us Texans. Considered splurging for Business Class, but ultimately arrived at booking standard with plans to request Casitas 4 or Cabanas.

We stayed 8 nights at Coronado for Thanksgiving. My husband and me, 7-year-old daughter, and almost 3-year-old daughter in one room, BIL and his girlfriend in another, and MIL & her new hubs in a Business Class room. Booked a standard view, requested and got Cabanas 9A. It was PERFECT!

We like POFQ - we loved the compactness of the resort. Easy to get to the bus, love the boat to downtown, kids liked the pool.

If you want to stay in the value/budget range...I would try to get a room in the little mermaid section of AoA...if the kids are small

Since the pool with water slide is a priority, I would consider a water view at Coronado Springs. The water slide kept my DD busy for a long, long time when she was 8. I would do the water view to gets you either a lake view (the center ring) or pool view (not necessarily the main pool), and the chances are good that it will either be reasonably close to the pool or to the main building. My reason for water view is to get closer to the center of the resort - I felt kind of like I was in the middle of a maze, even in what was a preferred room, due to room location. I felt getting toward the center would help that.

If the water slide wasn't a priority, I would try out the pool at Art of Animation where you can hear the characters underwater.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter