8/9-8/16/03 Eastern Trip Report

dis4u2love

Earning My Ears
Hey, I just got back from my 7-Night Eastern Cruise aboard the Magic on yesterday.

The Cruise was WONDERFUL!! It was my first cruise and I wasn't ready to come back at all. Next year I'm going to do a double back cruise. The Western first, then sail the Eastern againg. That way I can determine which one I like best. The following year maybe I'll do a triple cruise.

We got to Port C, at 11am. boy was the lines to check in long. By the time we got to the wait line to board the ship it was about 11:55. They had announced that the wasn't going to let anyone board until 1:30, but at 12:00 noon the let everyone that was cheked in board. They asked us not to go to our cabins, but I had to, and I did without any problems. Had to drop off my heavy carry on's that had my drinks in it.

It started to rain so the Sail-A-Way Party was held in the main lobby.

For dinner we had APLAPLA dinning roation. Our servers was GREAT!

My friend won bingo on Sunday for $242.00. We played again on Thursday evening for the final jackpot but no winnings here for us. A couple won the jackpot for $9,500.00.

I didn't care for PALO's for dinner, but the champain brunch was to die for.

Once, out of Port C. we had beautiful weather all throught the cruise. I loved the days at sea.

Sopping in St. Maarteen and St. Thomas really didn't impress me. The clothing looked really cheaply made. Every store has like the same clothes. And since my best friend is a jewerly freak we went into every jewerly store on both islands. Really didn't see a savings here either than being duty free. I think prices in the states during a sale is better priced that what we say in the islands.

Didn't do any of the Excursions, but did do a taxi tour of St. Thomas. They charged us $20.00 per person. A lot of the drivers wouldn't take us cause it was only two of us, and they wanted at leat 3 people to even drive for a tour, but we ran accross this really nice taxie drive name "King" and he took us. Stop and explaing the island, let us out to take pictures, dropped us off for shoppings, and waited for us. Took us up to the highest point in the mountins to look down at St. John, and Megan's Bay.

The tip for the shoe bag holder was great. Thanks!

I don't think next cruise I would take any water or soft drinks though. Just too much of a pain to have to hold getting on. And out of my 12 pk. I only drunk 2 sodas during the entire cruise. They walk around with drinks all day and that's what I wanted. I found that the drinks the serve and not really full stregnth drinks, I had 6 one day and didn't feel a buzz at all. While in St. Maarten I picked up my own liquor. St. Maarten had the best prices too. A liter of Absolute Vodka was $5.95, in St. Thomas it was $9.95 and aborad the ship it was $9.00.

Hope this helps. Please feel to ask any additional info that you may need.

I'm glad you had a nice week! How was the sea when you traveled to St. Maarten (second day at sea). Last year at this time it was quite rough and windy.

We had a great time as well. A few things:

I won't get my daughter the drink package next time. We don't let her drink enough soda to justify it.

The prices for adult beverages weren't as bad as I was afraid they might be. Would be great if they put a few more beers on tap. I can see where the logistics might make that hard, and at the end of the day it wasn't that big a deal.

If I had it to do over, I'd try to get my activities scheduled for earlier in the day. I was on the last rotation to parasail at Castaway Cay, and they cancelled it due to lightning in the area. Thus, I had no wiggle room to do the thing I was most interested in as far as activities go. If I go again, and get a late parasail time, I'll hang out and try to get worked in on an earlier rotation.

We did the See and Sea tour on StM, and the Atlantis Submarine tour on StT. Both were spectacular. Word of warning: on the See and Sea tour, when we left the beach, there were topless sunbathers in the area. Might consider a plan to avert the attention of your kids if you plan to do this excursion. Another thing: make SURE you're locked in for the Atlantis Submarine tour! They turned back about 20 people on the ship because of some scheduling gaff, and then we got to the submarine, and left half empty!

Dining was brilliant. Thought I'd have to buy a second seat to get on the plane coming home! :) Servers were excellent, but, on the last night, they got a standing ovation (which was more or less fished for), and I thought that was over the top.

We had to be off the ship by 0900 on Saturday morning, because they start boarding the next cruise at 1100! How in the world do they do that!!! As we were departing the ship, they actually had already prepared a significant number of rooms for the next cruise! I would LOVE to see the logistics plan that makes all that happen.

All in all, a brilliant trip. I don't have any other cruise experience with which to compare, but I can't imagine anyone being able to get it much more right.

I thought the sea was really calm. This was my first curise. I took the patches but didn't have to use them.

I felt a few dips while dinning at Palos, but that was about it for me.

Wow the weather sounds like a big improvement over last year.

We did the Sea and See in May and also liked it very much!!!

Rae

Really glad to hear you had a great time. I was on the same cruise, and had a great time also. Wish I would had bumped into you. We should have planned a meeting. Where did your cabin end up being at.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter