*8/7 Chp.7* The Incredible Shrinking Woman Turns 40...TWO trip reports in one!

shannn

If I spend my kids' college funds on DVC, can I ha
Hello everyone. I'm back on the DIS after a long self-imposed banishment. For those of you who might have known me when, last July I had a duodenal switch (a form of gastric bypass) and then in September I lost my beloved mother to metastasized breast cancer. I floundered with the idea that the world was going on without me as normal as I went through these profound changes. I even had a difficult time feeling guilty that I was having such successful weight loss and I was completely unable to bring myself to visit things that were "indulgences" like the DIS. After months of therapy and almost a year of trying to live without mom, I'm gradually feeling more like myself and able to recognize the joy in life again. Deep subject for an introductory post, but I felt an explanation was needed for my writing a trip report that covers two trips that took place 9 and 4 months ago.

That's right... Sam (my dh) and I went to WDW to celebrate my 40th birthday in October and then our whole family (plus my "baby" brother) went to WDW & Universal in March. I'm inviting you along on both these trips! Along the way, you'll get to also see what it looks like when you lose 150+ pounds in a year!!

As a start, some introductions:
Image060.jpg

This is our whole family at DHS in October 2009. Left to right: There's Morgan, my now 9 year old son (I have NO idea what kind of face he's making in this picture!) Mary Alice, my amazing mother-in-law also known as "Granmouse." My mom (sitting on the ECV) aka "Grammie." My now 7 year old daughter Lily sitting in her lap. Me. Sam, my wonderful DH of almost 19 years.

Just to get the visual, here's a current picture:
beach148.jpg

So, come along to watch me shrink before your very eyes, celebrate my birthday in style with a dear DISer friend thrown in, get some restaurant reviews from lots of TIW and F&W Festival eating, and even visit Harry Potter and the Portofino Bay Hotel! How's that for an epic Orlando year? :thumbsup2

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 12
1: In the Beginning
2: The Take Off

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 13
3: I'm HOW OLD?
4: Epcot's just for Me? Part 1
4: Epcot's just for Me? Part 2
5: Turning 40 in Style Part 1
5: Turning 40 in Style Part 2

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 14
6: Practically Perfect Part 1
6: Practically Perfect Part 2
7: Artist's Point and Mickey's party~ for ME! Part 1
7: Artist's Point and Mickey's party~ for ME! Part 2

So happy to have you back Shann!! :hug: You look fabulous!!! You go girl!!! :cheer2:
I celebrated my 40th last year at Disney....no better place!! :goodvibes

Tracy

Oh, for once I have good timing!!!
Happy to join you Shann!!!

OH my gosh - what a beautiful family and your "transformation" is amazing! You look wonderful!

I remember hearing/reading about you and your mom through your prior TRs and through DizneyDawn. I happy you're back on the DIS! We've missed you! I hope writing the TR can be therapeutic for you!

I'm subbing!!

Just read the intro and I'm all teary (again) thinking about what it was like when you lost your mom... Hugs again.

WOOT WOOT Don't you look AHHHHHMAZING darling!!! SO happy for you!!!! What a motivation you are to me!!!

Thank you so much for the pm can't wait to read all about this!!!

Celebrating my 50th at the F&WF this Oct. Looking forward to your report.

F&W Festival is my favorite time to visit WDW!! Between it and MNSSHP, October is the very best month...of course I've known that for 40 years! ;)

So happy to have you back Shann!! :hug: You look fabulous!!! You go girl!!! :cheer2:
I celebrated my 40th last year at Disney....no better place!! :goodvibes

Tracy

Hey Tracy! I'm so glad that everyone has been so welcoming. It's been a tough year but I'm gradually trying to figure things out. Thanks for the compliments.... it's so surreal to have people not recognize me!

Yay for turning 40 last year! It was so cool to be at Disney while WDW was celebrating 40 as well. It was all I could do not to grab up everything that had a 40 on it! :thumbsup2

Oh, for once I have good timing!!!
Happy to join you Shann!!!

OH my gosh - what a beautiful family and your "transformation" is amazing! You look wonderful!

I remember hearing/reading about you and your mom through your prior TRs and through DizneyDawn. I happy you're back on the DIS! We've missed you! I hope writing the TR can be therapeutic for you!

I'm subbing!!

Hi Sheree! I'm so glad you're here. I think writing the TR will be good for me. I hope everyone can handle my stories...I'm sure mom will pop up in lots of them.

It was amazing to go to the beach this summer and not be afraid of the camera. In fact, we have a photo shoot set up with a very chi-chi photographer for the first week in August. I'm so excited to get new pictures of our family. That picture was actually taken at Isle of Palms where we went to attend DizneyDawn's wedding. It was amazing!

Oh Shannon, I'm here!!! Thanks for the PM I can't wait to read along....

Just read the intro and I'm all teary (again) thinking about what it was like when you lost your mom... Hugs again.

Anita, I'm so very glad! Your friendship is special to me, and I'm thrilled that we have gotten to continue it through facebook at least! Thanks for being here. :hug: You know your support has meant so much to me.

WOOT WOOT Don't you look AHHHHHMAZING darling!!! SO happy for you!!!! What a motivation you are to me!!!

Thank you so much for the pm can't wait to read all about this!!!

Thanks Jen! I'm so glad you're here. The two trips were about as different as any two could be, so it will be fun to write about them.

Oh my goodness, you look AMAZING!!! :banana::banana::banana: Wow Oh Wow!! I'm so happy for you!!!!

It's nice to see you back on the DIS. :hug:

Signing up! Can't wait to hear about your trips. I haven't read any of your past TRs, but what an introduction! Sounds like you have had a difficult time while you were away from the Dis. So sorry to hear about your mom!:hug:

Congrats as well on your weight loss!!!:banana::banana::banana: That is absolutely incredible!!!

OMG! Look at your weight loss! My goodness, you've done amazing!!!! :hug:

I can't believe I get to read about not one, but two trips. Thank you for starting to write. I am so happy you are here. :goodvibes

Oh my goodness, you look AMAZING!!! :banana::banana::banana: Wow Oh Wow!! I'm so happy for you!!!!

It's nice to see you back on the DIS. :hug:

Thanks honey! It's surreal to look in the mirror and not really recognize yourself in the person looking back.

Joining in!
You look fabulous!:goodvibes

Thanks Jennifer. So glad you're here.

Signing up! Can't wait to hear about your trips. I haven't read any of your past TRs, but what an introduction! Sounds like you have had a difficult time while you were away from the Dis. So sorry to hear about your mom!:hug:

Congrats as well on your weight loss!!!:banana::banana::banana: That is absolutely incredible!!!

Thanks! I've read your first Disney resistant report and loved it! I'm excited to see in your signature that you have another one. :)

WOW...you look amazing! Congratulations!! I can't wait for your TR!

Thanks! I'm glad you're here.

joining in the fun

Yay! I'll be glad to any extra Vera Bradley packages that happen to come your way. :lmao:

Joining in!

Welcome! :goodvibes

OMG! Look at your weight loss! My goodness, you've done amazing!!!! :hug:

I can't believe I get to read about not one, but two trips. Thank you for starting to write. I am so happy you are here. :goodvibes

Thank you friend. You know you were/are a major inspiration to me. I hope I can hang on to the good feelings like you have. :hug:

You look fantastic, thanks for sharing your journey with us!

Welcome! I hope I don't get too sappy for y'all :)

Wow you look great! Sorry about your Mom. I just lost my Mom to cancer also in May. I'm taking my Dad to Orlando in Oct. He really wants to go to Universal for Harry Potter. And we'll also do Disney. Can't wait. And looking forward to your TR.

I know this is all about Disney, but I have to share with y'all my mindset as we took off on my 40th birthday celebration. In 1997, we lost my dad to a massive coronary on the golf course at age 52. Here one moment. Gone the next. As the world was mourning Princess Diana (on the same day), we were mourning the head of our family...the one who kept us laughing... However, my mom's gift was *always* the one of looking at the bright side of life. In 1985 my dad played Brer Bear in a local production of "An Evening with Uncle Remus" but in reality, my mom was the Zippa de doo dah person. No matter what troubles life threw at her she could just be strong and be happy. She got an amazing job opportunity soon after Daddy died and spent her last years in education as a mentor to teachers in failing rural schools.

IMG_0010.jpg

Mama & Daddy

In 2001, my son Morgan was born. He immediately became very special to mom (of course) and she made many trips to Tennessee (she lived in SC) to visit us.

IMG_0032.jpg

But little did we know that she had been feeling "off" for some months and hadn't told anyone that she had a rash on her breast. In March of 2003, mom was diagnosed with Stage 4 inflammatory breast cancer and immediately began very aggressive chemotherapy. I actually took a pregnancy test and found out I was pregnant with my daughter in a chemotherapy room in May of 2003.

In fall of 2005 after a few rounds of chemo and a mastectomy, mom decided to move to Tennessee to live with us. We were thrilled and immediately began building a house with a motherinlaw suite above the garage. I was so excited for the opportunity to share my home with my amazing best friend, who just happened to be my mom!

She was incredible to us. She helped create a home for all of us, went to the beach many many times, took her grandchildren to preschool/gymnastics/soccer/kindergarten, went to WDW twice, and absolutely showed her love to us every minute. She made our house a home, did our laundry, cooked our meals and thoroughly enjoyed getting to be our very own June Cleaver. My kids were the loves of the second part of her life and the reason she fought for so long.

portraitinn001.jpg

DSC_0916.jpg

She lived with us until she died this past September. She was very sick in her last months and I was able to take care of her in her last days. She was strong up until the end and it was only in her last week that she was really not with us mentally. Mom died in her sleep on September 11. We were supposed to be going to Disney World on October 12. I truly considered canceling, but she loved birthdays and had loved that Sam & I had planned a couple's trip for this one. I set my shoulders and determined that I would celebrate my life and in doing so celebrate the woman who gave it to me.

DSC_0632.jpg

I promise that this whole report won't be so full of my sorrow. I didn't see how I could tell this story without starting with where my mind and heart truly were.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter