• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

7th Annual Christmas Thread

I'm waiting for a barnes and noble coupon (no black friday ad yet). Then I should be done with the kids.

The only ones left are distant relatives and our parents. I know what I'm doing for mine. I just need to finish up.

I'm debating contributing to the class gift in kindergarten or doing my own thing.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Amazon has started their "Black Friday" deals. At 2PM EST they will have the Disney Classics Box Set on sale. I have this set already and love it. It would make a great gift for any huge Disney fan (which I am sure we all know one of those!). Not sure what the price would be, but just wanted to let people know. The deals seem to be pretty good so far, though nothing I am looking for.

The only thing I am on the look out for it a PS4 for myself, but I refuse to deal with actually going to the stores lmao.

Did anyone face the crowds today? I went out around 3pm to return a few things I bought at Target that didn't work out. It was like any old Saturday at that point. I was in and out in 30 mins and I managed to get one of the infinity characters for $10. I thought for sure they would be all gone.

I did some online shopping on Thursday morning. I shopped at amazon, petsmart and shutterfly. Nothing too exciting but the deals were pretty decent.

What is a good book suggestion for a 12 year old girl who has a reading level a bit behind grade level? (I'd say she was at 5th or 6th grade level). Would the New Diary of a Wimpy Kid book work for her?

Also, I need a suggestion for a 10 year old girl at 7th grade reading level!

I'm completely stumped but we give the kids a book every year...I am so behind trying to figure this out...

I hit up our local Walmart looking for the $10 Play doh set and the $5 Monster High dolls. While there were plenty of TV's and other big doorbusters, no Play doh to be found. LOL. I found three MH dolls randomly discarded around the store. I picked up one of the 32" TV's for $98 for the bedroom. I would have liked to get the 40" for $115 last week, but they never got any more after the first day. Bought the Skylanders Trap Team figures for $9 on Amazon with free shipping with Prime. Went to BBW for Wallflowers (ended up getting the 2pk for 2.50 each after coupons), then on to Target for Christmas jammies for the kids. Started around 11pm, got home at 2am.

Did all this after leaving my husband's bedside. He was admitted to the hospital for pneumonia after working on Thanksgiving day. I was just running on adrenaline, and Starbucks!

I need to list out everything I have for my older 2, DS8 and DD5. I've been stashing things all over the place. The hard one this year is my 2yo DS. He does not want or need anything. at. all. The kid has so many toys, clothes, etc. I hate to just spend money for things he will likely never touch. The only things I have gotten him so far are

DS2-
Green Toys Rocket Ship and
Jake &TNLP play set with a telescope
Star Wars ABC's board book.
Jammies

Seriously, too many toys around here. UGH. I can't even think of anything to tell the family. I'm stumped.

Preliminary list for the other 2:

DS8-
Skylanders Trap Team Starter Set
2 extra Skylanders Trap Masters
Enormous Skylanders storage case
3 games for DS (Mario/Sonic Olympics, Pokémon, Mario Kart)
Disney Universe for Wii
Darth Vader Voice changer Helmet
Furry Chewbacca journal from Disney Store
Marshmallow shooter guns
Lego Minecraft The Farm
Rick Riordan Greek Gods book
Pajamas
*Still need stocking stuffers and contemplating one more Lego Set ad a B&N gc for his Nook content)

DD5-
Anna Dress (Target Deluxe 50% off!)
Elsa plush
Elsa Snowglobe Wand
Ever after High 2 pk (Ashlynn & Hunter)
Monster High Doll
2 Barbie Movies (The Nutcracker & Perfect Christmas)
2 CD's (Bridgit Mendler and Selena Gomez, paid less than $2 each!)
Pink DS Lite
3 games (Brave, Enchanted and Hello Kitty)
Frozen Case for DS
Pajamas
*Still need a gymnastics leotard, stocking stuffers and maybe a book?

Wow.. I just realized it's about even between the two of them! YAY! I may have missed a couple of small things, but I think that's a pretty comprehensive list. I have gotten a TON of things off our local FB garage sale sites. I only paid $25 for the DL Lite and most of the games, except the Skylanders, were about $5 each.

On another note, my husband may kill me.... he is of the mindset of less is more. I like to have a lot of smaller ($) things to open.

I ventured out around 9:00 on Thursday night after company left and I cleaned the kitchen. I went to Old Navy first and that place was a ZOO! I picked up some PJs for DD and myself and got in line. I was prepared to be in line for a long time. Well, an employee came around and said if you have an ON/Gap card, you can use the express lane. Well, my friend with me has a card so she paid the bill and I will get her a check :). We were outta there.

Headed to Kohl's next and it was DEAD. I was stunned. I picked up what I needed there and we were off to Target.

Target was a ghosttown! Again, shocked. I talked to a friend who works there, our DDs go to school together, and she said even when they opened it wasn't a sea of people like in years past. I just think 6:00 PM is too early for people. I still have company and needed to clean up at 6:00 even though we had eaten at 2:30. We all lingered around, talked, watched football, did dishes.

So, I was home by 11:30, which I found to be a bit of a letdown. I prefer the fun the getting up in the middle of night when the stores opened around 2:00 AM. I miss our traditional breakfast at Cracker Barrel after we finished shopping :(

I placed my Amazon, Aveda and Jamberry Nails orders yesterday and still have some gift cards, wine & Jack Daniels to pick up, but I'm pretty much done.

DH, DD and I are headed out this afternoon. We need to get our Angel Tree kids and do our shopping and we'll eat dinner out.

I got the house decorated yesterday and DH did the outside. I still need to put the wreathes on the windows and the candles on the window sills. DD needs to do her tree for her room. My dad brought me all of moms ornaments and I'm going to decorate my 4 ft. tree that I have in our front room (I usually just wrap it in ribbon). Right now I just can't bring myself to go through them yet though.

Hope everyone is well on their way to being finished :)

What is a good book suggestion for a 12 year old girl who has a reading level a bit behind grade level? (I'd say she was at 5th or 6th grade level). Would the New Diary of a Wimpy Kid book work for her?

Also, I need a suggestion for a 10 year old girl at 7th grade reading level!

I'm completely stumped but we give the kids a book every year...I am so behind trying to figure this out...

To answer your first question, the new diary of a wimpy kid would be perfect for her.

For the 10 year old with a higher reading level, it's more complex. The problem is the higher the reading level the more difficult it becomes to find appropriate content. I just finished reading the False Prince series and it is definitely for middle school aged kids. People die in the book, there is war but there is nothing beyond a crush between a girl and boy. I loved the series. I would say some violence (not hunger games violence by any means).

For the 10 year old, if she hasn't read it, Wonder is an amazing book. The reading level is probably 4-6th grade, but it is told from various points of view, making it more complex reading. And the message is a great one for going into middle school.

For the 10 year old, if she hasn't read it, Wonder is an amazing book. The reading level is probably 4-6th grade, but it is told from various points of view, making it more complex reading. And the message is a great one for going into middle school.

I second this!! Ds10 is a voracious reader. Wonder is the one they are doing in class right now and he LOVES it. He asked me to buy him his own copy for home.:)

I am creeping up on my shopping lists. According to my Santa's Bag App I am about two thirds done. The bulk of what is left is for dd17. She mostly wants clothes and we will be in Florida next week so we will hit the outlets and take advantage of our duty allowance after being away a week. It's not as fun as surprising her but she's at the age that I can't always predict her taste and she can't get a good idea if it fits or she likes something unless she tries it on.
We're also getting her quite a few gift cards for movies/shopping/eating out. So she will know most of her gifts.

DS10 is done except for two items that I need to order. Board game (Pandemic) and a basketball bag for games and practice.

I still need to get things for FIL, sisters boyfriend, and brothers girlfriend (names we drew in the family name draw).

So it still seems like a lot but I have ideas and lists for everyone. It's just a matter of finishing it all off.:)

Thanks to Thanksgiving and Black Friday deals I am finally getting close to done with the kids. Barely started DH.
Heres my lists with a star beside what I have already.
DD18
1. Gel memory foam topper (27.99 instead of 99.99 @Kohls)*
2. Candies Backpack Purse*
3. Good Scented Candle*
4. Owl Throw Blanket*
5. Dumb and Dumber DVD*
6. Headphones*
7. Adam Lambert Tresspassing CD*
8. Skull PJ pants*
9. Tank Top?

DD 17
1. Android phone*
2. Royals T*
3. Batman Wallet*
4. Olaf Watch and Frozen DVD*
5. Makeup set*
6. Divergent DVD*
7. Candies Back pack Purse*
8. Eiffel Tower pj pants*
9. Tank Top?

DD15
1. Beatles Book/DVD*
2. Tim Burtons Alice in Wonderland DVD*
3. Nightmare Before Christmas T*
4. Superman T*
5. Led Zepplin T*
6. Faux Fur Comforter*
7. Sleeping with Sirens Bracet and T
8. Minnie Mouse pj pants*
9.Tank Top?

DS14 (Functioning 7/8)
1. Cat in the Hat DVD set*
2. How to Train your Dragon 2 DVD *
3. Wubbulous World of Dr. SEUSS DVD set*
4. UFO RC*
5. Wii and Wii games (need to pickup out of layaway)
6. Glass Chess Set*
7. Rubber Ducky Robe, corduroy duck w/ugly duckling book*
8. Camo pj pants*
9. Plain T?
Star Wars Figures for stocking* (.20 cents each on BF)
Crawling Army Man for stocking* (.8 cents on BF)
Laser finger pointers for stocking*

DH:
Hobbit 1 and 2*
AMC GC
Book (#14 in a series he has been reading)*
Camo Coat for Service Dog
Google Play Card

Also shopped for my mothers gift to the kids (she sends me money) on BF and loaded up on DVDs from Malicifent and Lego Movie to Dolphin Tale, After Earth and Blindside and a couple others for a movie basket. I'll get popcorn and candy and print out a certificate good for the local indoor amusement park for after the holidays and they will be all set for way less than she used to spend. I try to save her money.

Tower Speaker for DH and I from Santa

HAPPY DECEMBER!!!! 24 DAYS UNTIL CHRISTMAS!!!

Hey ladies!! Good job keeping it going the last 2 weeks... I am home and finally better and getting things back to normal. We had a great trip~even though Tuesday was the worst weather I have ever seen at Disney World in all our trips!!! Our first 2 days (wed and thurs) were damp and cold...not good for a kid who has just recovered from strep. She felt awful the first 2 days and we were trying to push her through it and hope for sunshine....the rest of the trip was great~even had 2 days over 80* and tons of humidity...but that Tuesday!!!!! :scared1::scared1: it poured all day and the morning hours had tornado warnings off and on for hours...we only came out of the hotel around 4/5 o'clock to head to the MK for our BOG dinner ressies. that place is so great! I forgot how good it really was!!!
Then just as we were paying our bill, the bottom fell out again...it was awful...water was inches deep so guess who spent hours that night drying out shoes in the laundry! Me and countless others! LOL...so flight home was good and we miss it already!!
Thursday morning I get up to get ready to hit the road again~ we were going to spend it at my moms this year and it was her 60th bday....but as I got up, I knew it. I had that weird feeling...stomach bug!!! So, I was not in good shape, and if it hadn't been for her birthday and she had already had a really bad week, I would have stayed home. But, I made the almost 2 hour drive without having to stop. Also, our older son was home from college and had a sinus/allergy thing...so he and I were sooooo wasted all day!! We had a good day, but I was worse when we got back home and so he and I spent all day Friday in bed watching tv.
I think we are over all the crud we have been through in the last few weeks~~or so I hope. When It Rains It Pours, I guess!! But we still had a great trip, and a good time together as a family this week/weekend. So that's what I am thankful for this year! Things may not be perfect for each event, but if you have your family and everyone is healthy you have everything! I don't count sinus or stomach bugs!! LOL!! So, It's back to try and get a normal routine today!!
I see lots of you have made great progress in shopping...way to go!!! Hope all of you who are getting nasty weather stay safe and warm!

I ordered a couple things today. So far for my dad I got him some compression socks from cabelas, calendar from the dogs, shaving cream, pedicure sander. Still have to get his gift cards and razors and odd and ends. I ordered my mom 2 angel figurines tonight and still have some gift cards to get her. And she had a calendar from the dogs also. Not sure what else. And they will get scratch offs too!

Im getting there. I can't believe it's only 3 weeks until the big day!

I still need to order my oldest her North Face coat and a makeup mirror. I need to get some kind of container and fill with these tiny clear filler beads for her makeup brushes. I need a frame for the One Direction autographs (copies, not real) and j think she's done.

My 11 year old is asking for crazknitz and I kept putting off ordering from kohls. They had it for 24.99 plus 15% off or something like that and when I finally went to order, the were out of stock. So, we will see if she gets that or not. Other than that I think she is done.

My 5 year old is a few gifts behind everyone else so I have to find a few things for her. I know she would love the Meal Makin Kitchen from Playdoh and I need to find one more thing she will love.

The baby, who is 3, is done. Her list is Frozen heavy, so I hope she is happy. 50% of the things she is getting are Frozen! Lol

My monsters have the huge 3ft stockings. I know I know, I'm an idiot. Anyways, I have some things for them, but need to get more. I'm maybe 1/4 done with those. :(

My nephew is getting a kids size real tool kit, a Lego batman ds game, a Lego batman set, a kit to play school with. All I have left for him is a Home Depot kit that he can put together with my husband and use his new tools.

My sis has been wanting dishes so I bought her A set she has been wanting. Tonight I decided to take them back and get the comforter, pillow shams and pillows for her bedroom. She's been wanting to do her room over for awhile but never has the extra money to spend on herself. I think she will like this more.

My other sis and BIL are getting some board games, some soda that's sorta close to the Harry Potter butterbeer, and an an ice cream kit. Both sisters are getting those.

Hubby is getting a shop vac, a video game, a gps and maybe 2 graphic novels from the Game of Thrones storyline. He also will get his BBOL. Beef basket of love. I fill it with tons of different kinds of beef jerky and other snacks he loves. Mostly beef jerky. He loves that gift above all other I think! Lol

I ordered my dad a blanket with pictures of me and my sisters as kids and some as adults and our families now. At the bottom I had the title "Your Family, Your Legacy. We love you dad!" I hope he likes it. He has NO hobbies or anything so I thought he might enjoy that.

For Christmas Eve I am heavily considering ordering a meat and cheese tray from Walmart and making some crockpot meatballs, then having some pickles and olives, crackers, nuts, snacky things, and some frozen desserts. I dont want to spend the time cooking!

Hope everyone is enjoying the season. Time is FLYING!!!

I think I'm finished other than things for our dog and my dad's cat (who comes with my dad to spend Cmas with us :goodvibes). I got most of my wrapping done last Sunday and will finish up when I get my last delivery from Amazon which is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.:cool1:

I keep thinking I'm so close to being done shopping, then I realize I've barely started.

I've got a pretty good list going for my fiancé, but we're going to a hockey game together on the 23rd, so we agreed to keep the spending limits down this year. Which means he won't pay any attention to it, and go way overboard. And right after we paid the deposit for our photographer. :eek: weddings are expensive, y'all.

I ended up with a theme on accident but it's working out really well! I got him an awesome Walking Dead shirt off TeeFury, then found the two compendiums of all the comics on sale through Amazon + an extra 30% off! Ended up getting both books for the normal cost of one! I'm picking up some smaller walking dead/zombie things today, and I need to message my aunt in Georgia to see if she can send me some of the scratch offs!

Stocking stuffers are my favorite, and this year it'll be stuff for him for work/his daily bag, like hand sanitizer, a nice pen, business card holder, etc

The rest of his presents are "traditional" ones that he gets versions of every year...
The year's NHL ornament from Hallmark -- even if we don't like the player. My dad and I collected them when I was a kid, and we've continued it!

Crazy socks.

A co-op video game and a box of snacks like beef jerky, MnM's, Mt. Dew game fuel, pizza gift card for us to play all day together. It's one of our favorite "dates" every year!

We also hide a pickle in the tree, alternating who looks every year, and the gift is always a classic toy. Like wooden pop gun, or Rubix cube. This year I'm getting him classic candies!

Pulling secret Santa names this weekend with his siblings and significant others [there are ten of us, and we're the last to get married]

I don't know if anyone has kids/family that wear glasses, but I can't swear by Zenni Optical enough. I've used them for several years now, and the prices are unbeatable. Right now theyre having a buy two, get one sale so maybe for some unique frames just for fun? You just have to have the prescription!

Barely started with Christmas shopping.

2 of 5 grown kids done...3 to go.

The biggie is our gift to each other....our first DVC purchase and it just passed ROFR yesterday!!!!

I think I'm finished other than things for our dog and my dad's cat (who comes with my dad to spend Cmas with us :goodvibes). I got most of my wrapping done last Sunday and will finish up when I get my last delivery from Amazon which is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.:cool1:

Good to know we're not the only ones with presents under the tree for our animals :rotfl:. Oreo's parka arrived yesterday and her stuffed cow that moos. I just need to pick up some stinky bully sticks and I'm done with her!

As you probably can figure out..I am woefully behind in shopping!! LOL..My older son turns 19 tomorrow and I have to do that too...he has been iffy on his wish list, so I am just now getting a definite on what he wants...he's off at college, so we will go see him this weekend...that bought me an extra day of shopping for that! I do have most of my daughters, half for my younger son, and that's it! Hoping for more to be done this next week...

Good to know we're not the only ones with presents under the tree for our animals :rotfl:. Oreo's parka arrived yesterday and her stuffed cow that moos. I just need to pick up some stinky bully sticks and I'm done with her!

Can't forget the furbabies :). They each have a stocking hung up by the fireplace :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter