• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

7th Annual Christmas Thread

Unless you really can't afford the WiiU don't by a regular Wii. The system is 10 years old, isn't very well supported anymore and virtually no new games are made for it. Wait for Black Friday and I bet you can get a decent deal on a WiiU.

And see, I would tell you to get a refurbed one from Gamestop so you can to even see if it's something your family will use. My DD is not and never has been a gamer either, but we thought she and her friends would like all the dance and sports games so we bought a Wii as a family gift 3 or 4 years ago. I bet it hasn't been turned on 50 times. Just wasn't a good investment for our family at all. Tough decision you have there.

I need some advice
I really want to get the family a Wii for Christmas. I am not a gamer and DD8 is not all that electronic, but last winter was so cold and I really want something to do besides movies and Crazy 8's for those cold winter days!
So since this is our first gaming experience do I fork over big bucks for a Wii U ($300) or get a Wii ($125 or $80 for a refurbished one at Gamestop)?
What accessories are necessary? Can I just buy a truck load of Wii games since I understand WiiU games won't work on Wii? $300 bucks plus games seems a lot to spend before we know if it will get used. On the other hand if Wii is being phased out, should I just buy the Wii U?
any guidance appreciated. Way too much thought going into this!!!

We had a Wii up until last year when we upgraded and got the WiiU for Christmas. My girls love the WiiU and they can still play their Wii games on it. I can't remember exactly how much I spent on it, but I did get it at Target, during the sale and using my Target red card and it was closer to $220...and that included a Mario Bros. game that the girls wanted. Closer to Christmas you should be able to find some pretty good deals. :goodvibes

Need some advice. I really want to get something at Disney for my friend's son. He is 18, but has some mental handicaps that make him act a bit younger. He loves video games, sci fi, fantasy, and the like. Normally, I would just ask my friend but I don't have a way to get in touch with her right this moment (long story).

So I was thinking about a lego set of some sort from the lego store. What do you all think? Any other ideas that I may be over looking?

Hi Guys!!! went to the Disney store and they had a ton of Frozen stuff, all the dolls, costumes, shirts everything! I was able to snag the last 2 anna and Elsa playset, so I can officially say I bought my first Christmas gifts :cool1: just wanted to let you guys know to check your Disney stores.

Need some advice. I really want to get something at Disney for my friend's son. He is 18, but has some mental handicaps that make him act a bit younger. He loves video games, sci fi, fantasy, and the like. Normally, I would just ask my friend but I don't have a way to get in touch with her right this moment (long story).

So I was thinking about a lego set of some sort from the lego store. What do you all think? Any other ideas that I may be over looking?

Do you know what he likes? I think it depends on his functioning. My BIL has DS and is very low functioning.....he loves action figures and comic books (looks at the pictures). He would never be able to do Legos. But if your friends son acts just a bit younger....then maybe something a middle schooler would like and Legos would fit the bill. Maybe those vinylmation things?

Do you know what he likes? I think it depends on his functioning. My BIL has DS and is very low functioning.....he loves action figures and comic books (looks at the pictures). He would never be able to do Legos. But if your friends son acts just a bit younger....then maybe something a middle schooler would like and Legos would fit the bill. Maybe those vinylmation things?

He actually has a pretty good grasp on things in general. He is on track to graduate High School (some regular classes and some special classes). After he graduates he will go to a special program/house where they will help him get a job. He'll never live alone, cook for himself, or anything like that. But he can function pretty decently WITH help.

Maybe something like a vinylmation would be good. Then I don't have to worry too much about getting something he is able to do. I don't know what his ability with doing things like the legos would be as he also has other medical issues like CF that may impact that. I don't want to spend too much as it is simply the idea that I don't want to get his mom (my friend) a gift and not get him anything.

He actually has a pretty good grasp on things in general. He is on track to graduate High School (some regular classes and some special classes). After he graduates he will go to a special program/house where they will help him get a job. He'll never live alone, cook for himself, or anything like that. But he can function pretty decently WITH help.

Maybe something like a vinylmation would be good. Then I don't have to worry too much about getting something he is able to do. I don't know what his ability with doing things like the legos would be as he also has other medical issues like CF that may impact that. I don't want to spend too much as it is simply the idea that I don't want to get his mom (my friend) a gift and not get him anything.

Hopefully something will jump out you in the shops :) have a great trip!

LEGOs may be iffy~if you aren't sure what all his condition includes…that said…my middle one is a LEGO dude and I have had grown men talk about LEGOs with him at Target…and saying its something you never outgrow:rotfl: So, it may be a good thing as long as it isn't one that is too complicated…maybe get one that is for age 14+…..they have the Architecture ones now that are more streamlined and are from famous landmarks
If not LEGOs, maybe a coffee/hot choc cup with his name or just a character and put a hot choc package or something like that together for him. Also, we have friends that we just brought back a big bag of diff "Disney" candy and they LOVED it!

Redeemed points today for Panera gift card for DH. So I have officially got him 1 item. :rotfl: We aren't getting each other much this year as we have 2 cruises booked for next year but I want him to have something. I also have Xmas Eve Pj's for both boys and ornament for DD and DS13. I found them in my stash last night. DD says she wants Vera Bradley Mickey Mini Hipster so I hope they go on sale. I know they had a sale this past weekend for 10% off but we are going to WDW in 17 days and I wanted DD to actually look at it and try it on before she decides. Those things are not cheap.

DD says she wants Vera Bradley Mickey Mini Hipster so I hope they go on sale. I know they had a sale this past weekend for 10% off but we are going to WDW in 17 days and I wanted DD to actually look at it and try it on before she decides. Those things are not cheap.

You might also want to have her look at the Vera Bradley website, to see if she likes any of the patterns there. You can often pick up Mini Hipsters in the $20-$30 range there. DD14 saw one of the Mickey Mini Hipsters when we were at DLR this summer and said she wanted it, but after questioning her more, it was that she liked the style and the colors in the Mickey print, she didn't actually care one way or the other about the actual Mickey heads. When she looked at the VB website, there were lots of other patterns she liked - so I picked up one of those for Christmas for her, for just $22 during a sale :thumbsup2

If you're getting video game systems, I highly recommend looking into GameFly. It's like Netflix DVD for gaming.

They have a huge selection for pretty much every platform, super fast turn around times, and if you decide to keep a game, it's heavily discounted. Plus they give you coupons every couple of months and run ridiculous sales fairly often.

I think it's perfect because if we just don't like a game, we're not out 60 bucks. We just send it back and get the next one on our list.

Yay!!!! I found you! :goodvibes
Thanks Shawna for sharing the link to the thread ;)

I have officially started my Christmas shopping!

DD7 is a huge Frozen fan so I ordered Frozen pajamas and slippers for her to open Christmas Eve. (It's our tradition to open Christmas Eve PJ's). I also ordered her a Frozen Tshirt and sweatshirt. They'll be perfect for our trip in January.

I was a little sad to not order anything for DS10. I miss the days of Lightning McQueen and Toy Story. He's not into the superheroes that much so I guess I'll have to find his Christmas Eve PJ's elsewhere.

We're going to take it easy buying gifts for my parent's and my sister's family this Christmas since we're all going to Disney together in January.

Yay!!!! I found you! :goodvibes
Thanks Shawna for sharing the link to the thread ;)

I have officially started my Christmas shopping!

DD7 is a huge Frozen fan so I ordered Frozen pajamas and slippers for her to open Christmas Eve. (It's our tradition to open Christmas Eve PJ's). I also ordered her a Frozen Tshirt and sweatshirt. They'll be perfect for our trip in January.

I was a little sad to not order anything for DS10. I miss the days of Lightning McQueen and Toy Story. He's not into the superheroes that much so I guess I'll have to find his Christmas Eve PJ's elsewhere.

We're going to take it easy buying gifts for my parent's and my sister's family this Christmas since we're all going to Disney together in January.

yay!! Glad you are here!!! And I am glad you are all going together!!

I can officially say I have started my Christmas shopping. Although I only picked up a couple stocking stuffers today it makes me feel better knowing I have started! I also moved some pictures around on the computer today and am making a calendar for my parents with pictures of the fur grand babies! So I will be ordering that and the rest of the stocking stuffers from Walmart in the next week or so. Mostly after that it will be a few gift cards and that is it.

Such a good deal today!

Kohls has the Keurig Mini for $99, down from $125 http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-645688/keurig-k10-b31-mini-plus-personal-coffee-brewer.jsp

Throw in a 30% discount, and it's down to $70.

Then the $10 manufacturer's rebate, and it's down to $60.

Then $10 in Kohls cash it earned me, and it's costing me $50.

Then the $10 birthday coupon from Kohls, and it's $40.

Then the $5 in points for spending $100, and that $125 coffee maker cost me $35 out of pocket.

Merry Christmas Mom!!!

Such a good deal today! Kohls has the Keurig Mini for $99, down from $125 http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-645688/keurig-k10-b31-mini-plus-personal-coffee-brewer.jsp Throw in a 30% discount, and it's down to $70. Then the $10 manufacturer's rebate, and it's down to $60. Then $10 in Kohls cash it earned me, and it's costing me $50. Then the $10 birthday coupon from Kohls, and it's $40. Then the $5 in points for spending $100, and that $125 coffee maker cost me $35 out of pocket. Merry Christmas Mom!!!

Wow, you really did get a bargain today!! Way to go!

Y

Oh, my heavens! Someone stop me! I made a list this year and still I have gone overboard ---UGH! I blame it on single child syndrome. Either way this is what I have done so far.....

DS (14)
Stocking Stuffers: Pop Rocks, Wallet, and Pajama Bottoms
Presents: The Twilight Zone Collections 1, 2 & 3...Backyard Blacksmith Book, Alligator Guillotine Tool (blacksmith tool), Railroad Spikes, Atomic Bomb Alarm Clock, Classic Radio Shows on CD: Suspense, War of the Worlds, Black Museum, Mysterious Traveler, The Shadow, and The Whistler, and Classic 1950s Monster Movies on DVD: Attack of Crab Monsters, War of the Satellites, Not of this World, The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, Them, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Destination Moon, The First Men in the Moon, Earth vs the Flying Saucers, Mysterious Island, It Came from Beneath the Sea, and 20 Million Miles to Earth, and finally a punching bag with stand and gloves.

(We don't have tv so we spend our nights listening to the radio or watching old movies; both of which he loves. So I tried to get shows and movies he hasn't heard or seen yet.)

I have got to be done with his Christmas or we will be forever watching him open gifts on Christmas day. :)

Oh, my heavens! Someone stop me! I made a list this year and still I have gone overboard ---UGH! I blame it on single child syndrome. Either way this is what I have done so far.....
I have single child sydrome as well. I used to feel really guilty about it, but I've learned not to anymore. I don't go into debt doing it because I tend to shop all year. I like a big pile for Christmas, we don't go crazy with stuff all year long and I do a mix of fun and practical. I like the morning opening to go on and on on Cmas morning and DD just oohs and ahhhs over everything. She's so easily pleased, always has been. I lost my mom rather suddenly last December so Christmas 2013 is kind of a blur so this year, while I'm not really feeling it yet, is going to be a lot more fun for us all....I hope!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter