7DMT and toddlers

lovethesun12

DIS Veteran
My daughter is only 2 but really tall for her age (apparently). With sneakers on she is over the 38" height requirement for 7DMT.

I really would love to bring her on it because she has such an outgoing personality and I'm sure she would love it; but she just seems so tiny!

Not trying to circumvent rules at all - but I'm wondering is it ok she just meets the requirement with sneakers on?

Also, has anyone brought a two year old on before? How did it go?

TIA!

We went when my older son was two, and he was 42 inches. He went on all the rides he could, including 7DMT and Tower of Terror. He had a blast.

Is your trip far enough away that she may grow tall enough by then?

We took DS when he was 3 and met the height requirement. He enjoyed it, though it’s not his favorite (he prefers BTRR). The measurement is designed to take into account wearing shoes; no one is expected to be barefoot to be measured.

My daughter also went on when she was 2, and she loved it! She did meet the height requirement.

My 2nd DD loves any/all rides. She was 42” at 3.5 and rode everything possible and loved it. (Tot, 7D, Thunder, splash, soarin, TT, etc.)

At 6 she still loves rides. This recent trip she rode RNRC and it’s her new favorite ride along with EE. Some kids are just wired that way.

Last edited:
My son was just shy of 3 and tall enough the first year we went. We have ride pictures of his little head between raised arms grinning from ear to ear. He loved Barnstormer too.

When my daughter was 2 she also met the 38" mark and back then there was no 7DMT but she LOVED Barnstormer, which is think is similar, thrill-wise. If they meet the requirement in shoes they are good to go!

We went when my older son was two, and he was 42 inches. He went on all the rides he could, including 7DMT and Tower of Terror. He had a blast.

Is your trip far enough away that she may grow tall enough by then?
Our trip is 3.5 months away! She is 2 years 4 months :)

My twins were 2 when they first rode and just hit the bar with sandals on. And they loved it! She'll be fine.

I would take a 2 year old that was tall enough. I think 7DMT is more tame than Barnstormer. DD loved Barnstormer when she was 2.

My son was 2.5, and he, uh, hated it. He was terrified. I was surprised since he’s kind of a daredevil. I thought he’d enjoy it but he got pretty upset and I still hear about it now and again almost three years later.

We took our 2.5 yo tall daughter on it, she loved it! As long as they meet the height requirement they are fine.

My oldest daughter and I were coming off Space mountain, she was also tall but young, and these ladies made some comment to me that she was to young or small to go on it. I just shrugged and said it wasn't her first time on the ride and the cast members were ok with it.

One of my two-year-olds liked it, one hated it. Both look terrified in the pictures. At least it was short?!?!

in 3.5 months at that age you could get another full inch or 2! If they meet the requirement they can ride.
You could always take him on Barnstormer first, its slightly milder (and for sure shorter) to see how he feels about rollercoasters. He'll be fine even though he's so small. My son rode legit adult upside-down loop rollercoasters at 6 flags when he was 3 because he was already 42", and i held onto him the whole time because while he's tall he's super thin and light and i was so convinced he'd fly right out!

My daughter is only 2 but really tall for her age (apparently). With sneakers on she is over the 38" height requirement for 7DMT.

I really would love to bring her on it because she has such an outgoing personality and I'm sure she would love it; but she just seems so tiny!

Not trying to circumvent rules at all - but I'm wondering is it ok she just meets the requirement with sneakers on?

Also, has anyone brought a two year old on before? How did it go?

TIA!
If she meets the height requirement, it's safe for her to go on. I wouldn't hesitate to bring my child on if she was tall enough.

in 3.5 months at that age you could get another full inch or 2! If they meet the requirement they can ride.
You could always take him on Barnstormer first, its slightly milder (and for sure shorter) to see how he feels about rollercoasters. He'll be fine even though he's so small. My son rode legit adult upside-down loop rollercoasters at 6 flags when he was 3 because he was already 42", and i held onto him the whole time because while he's tall he's super thin and light and i was so convinced he'd fly right out!
And I just realized your little one is a she not a he :) Sorry about that! Obviously was thinking about my goofy little boy when I responded!

Truth is, outside of emergency stops, or other odd happenings, the vast majority of coasters don't even need restraints. The first modern looping coaster had none and most wooden coaters didn't even have real lap bars until the 80s, many still don't.

All looping coasters pull positive G's throughout the loop, so you are always pulled into the seat. Without restraints I would worry about the ones that had an open train design and also had a lot of lateral G's/jerk, though.

Any ways, long way of saying, if your kid meets the height requirements, and the restraint is used properly, they aren't going anywhere, except possibly in an accident.

I don't like to play devil's advocate, but I would be a little hesitant with a true coaster for a young 2 year old. Their bone structure isn't quite developed enough for all of the jerky movement. Think about it as the same argument for a rear facing car seat, the neck isn't structurally ready for that type of movement that young.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter