7 year old boy drowns at Hojo's on 192

I was at a HOJO several years ago and it was fairly late. A man comes out of his room looking for his young daughter at the pool. My heart stopped since there was NO ONE swimming in that pool. Luckily the daughter had gone to a different pool, but I really wanted to grab this man and hit him! He had let his small child (under middle school age) go to the pool ALONE! First there are WAY too many idiots in this world and two what if she got into trouble swimming!

I feel so sorry for this family, this is a horrid lesson to learn the hard way. No matter how good a swimmer your child is they should never swim unattended.

:( :( :(

How incredibly sad! I have two 7 year old sons and a 6 year old son. I'm going to hug them tight!

I'll keep this family in my prayers.

What blows my mind about this is how he was not noticed sooner (as another poster said). The water must have been very murky/cloudy not to have seen him. There were many people in the pool too! I have a pool & even when we have algee, I can still see a large object in the deepend at the bottom. The hotel chain should be answering to the police and family on why the pool was like that.

I think the police have some responding to do... Nothing I have read indicates that the pool was ever emptied to look. Having been a lifeguard if there are LOTS of people in the pool swimming around with the water moving etc... it can be hard to realize someone is either in distress or on the bottom. If they interviewed 30 people I would bet that even more then that were in the pool. I think I have seen this pool and it is VERY busy.

The pool should have been emptied as soon as the kid was missing, but it really does not sound like that basic step was ever performed. Instead they asked untrained folks if they had seen the kid.... An "extensive serach" would have involved getting everyone out and LOOKING at the bottom wouldn't you think?

What a tragic story! :sad1:

There is definately a lot of explaining that is going to have to be done by the mangement of the facility as well as the police (as Carol said)

Our prayers and thoughts are with the family.....

I just thank God, that every time my kids have asked to go in a pool (our own, a hotel's, etc.) without adult supervision, i have said "no way, no how." And there have been many times, especially on vacation, when everyone is so happy and having a great time, that I have been tempted to say "Sure, go ahead, I'll be right behind you." Something always stopped me from saying this.

What a tragic loss.

so sorry for this lost!

Disney has lifeguards only at the slides at most of their pools - except - the value resorts. there are one or two lifeguards at these all the time when the pool is offically opened.

what I think was silly some ADULTS were fusing because they almost fell in the pool (because the pool has 4 steps one on each side). and they expected the lifeguard to tell them.

these lifeguards aren't aware of adults - they are looking at the kids only!!!!
:smooth: :umbrella:

I just cant even imagine this! how horrible!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter