• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

7 nights at the Poly....in August? Weather concerns...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, let's just drop it already, sorry I mentioned it. Just oftentimes it comes across as bragging when it's not necessary to mention as it usually makes no difference to the question. Although it's not usually in the thread title, it's often in the first post. I've noticed numerous examples of this throughout my months on here more recently. Again I don't care where people stay but it's annoying when it's mentioned unnecessarily. And yes, almost always otherwise I do read the entire first post.

Last edited:
Think the main reason she mentioned staying at the Poly, is because she was saying she doesn't want to spend a lot on a vacation (and we know how expensive the Poly is), if her family is going
to be miserable. Yes, I understand what she is saying, spending a lot on a vacation that may not be enjoyable would not be a good idea.

That's how I took it too

Ok, I didn't even read the first post in this case. But in MOST cases when people specifically mention the resort in the first post it's completely irrelevant to the question and seems like they just wanted to mention it
Told her to go to another board with her post without even reading it??:confused3

I actually read her post mainly because I'm staying at the Poly soon. :cool1:

We've gone the last five years in August, like many PP's say stay hydrated! The key to us to keep our energy up the entire time we are there (about 10 days total- 3 at USO & 7 WDW) we take afternoon breaks. Hit the parks in the morning, lounge by the pool, nap and swim, shower and head back out to dinner and the parks for the evening. Without the breaks in that heat, we'd be spent after a couple days. Oh and if you go for long enough, a rest day is great, no parks, just a really low key day around the resort. Last Aug, with the heat index, it felt like it was 105 everyday but we survived!

We've gone in August 4 times, including the last week. I love that last week. The parks were considerably less crowded as lots of kids return to school in August. ADRs and FP+ availability will probably be as good as you can get during any time your kids have off from school.
We don't mind the heat, so I can't determine how well you'll fair with that. Also, I love to hear where people are staying in their posts. It brings back to WDW a bit and also helps giving advice after considering cost, location, and resort amenities. I for one, would not like to pay a premium for a Deluxe if it was too hot for me to enjoy the grounds.

Breaks, breaks and more breaks! This is crucial for us even when we go in the Fall (and I went this past Nov, like you said and it was unusually HOT). We are going in September, and I know it going to be very hot/humid, but we are doing mornings at the parks, taking a break each day around 12:30-1pm and then going back on the evenings. We don't do the morning to night thing anymore. We love the breaks to enjoy the resort, nap, swim and just refresh for the evenings. It will make things much more bearable and enjoyable. Have a great trip!

A reminder to please keep it friendly.

The topic is August weather and if that makes it too miserable to book.

August/September are peak hurricane months. Hazy, hot, humid, repeat each day. Daily thunderstorm as well. It's a given.

Whether that weather is too miserable is up to you. The hottest time of day is late afternoon/early evening. That's a great time to plan dining and be in the air conditioning. Coolest time is first thing in am and night.

Most FL schools are back in session that last week. That should make it less crowded during the week days.

My philosophy is any day at Disney is a better day than anywhere else! :)

Wow, thanks for the backup guys! I come to check on maybe a few answers and get a whole 2 pages !

I was looking for others who have been in the same predicament as myself. Or really, any thoughts regarding my situation.

Staying at a monorail resort in the heat of the Summer makes it MUCH easier (IMO) to get back to your resort faster if you want/need that mid day break from the parks. That, the food and the pools combined with one hard to resist offer is why I specifically chose the Polynesian. I'm not "bragging", or trying to by any means. I have 3 kids and want to enjoy our time there, not be miserable.

I've noticed it a lot, people think up questions/topics just to get a mention of their resort in even though it's usually irrelevant to the question

OP's resort choice is actually completely relevant to this question IMHO. August is hot and if you are going to spend a lot of time hanging out at the resort to avoid the heat, resort choice is key.

That being said - we've gone to WDW the last week of August for the past 5 years (including Poly last August) and the Poly pool has very, very little shade. We got by because we mostly swam and didn't lounge at the pool, but if you were thinking of lounging, it's not pleasant. The umbrellas are few and far between.

Two summers ago, when the heat index reached upwards of 105 F (apparently a record for Orlando), I swore we wouldn't do August again, but I couldn't resist as we got a great price and the crowds are relatively low. Our game plan is always to go at RD, stay until about 1-2 pm, go back to the resort to relax, eat TS around 6 pm and then head back out to a park or other activity as the sun starts going down. It really works well for us. My DS8 also loves Lilo's Playhouse, so some evenings he would go there while I would wander around or go to MK by myself. We also did Blizzard Beach one day which was great for cooling off (just avoid the slides that have long, unshaded queues!).

It is doable. I would say, though, if you are worried that the cost of Poly won't be worth it because of the heat, I would encourage you to price out an EP resort (which is great due to walking distance to EP and DHS), or a mod like POR which has a shadier pool.

It's going to be hot. Sickening hot. But we go every August for at least two weeks and love it! You just have to expect the heat. Drink lots of water and try to stay out of the direct sunlight.

Oh yes, we will be expecting it for sure! Thanks!

Only you know how you and your family do in heat. We go every year that week and we are not heat people. We go to rope drop, we make sure we have good touring plans with forced AC breaks like at the shows etc, we do a lunch ADR in the park. We go back at night after the storms for a little bit. We are stuck in a traditional school calendar and its either that or Christmas or Easter break. We choose the heat over the crowds. I think the biggest thing we do is we accept that we can't get as much done as we could in the cooler weather and adjust for that. Good luck deciding! :)

Rope drop is for sure on the agenda, heck I think we will even visit the Hall of Presidents this time around finally LOL. Thats what it comes down to right now, heat OR Crowds(with heat sometimes just as bad).

I don't find it irrelevant here. The time spent at the resort factors into a question like this.

Why does it bother you that people mention where they are staying? It is a Disney vacation planning board. Is there something that makes it a sensitive subject for you?
I didn't think it was irrelevant either, thanks!!! :)

<-----DITTO

We go the end of August. Yes, it's sweltering. We stay for 10 nights and go every year, so don't have to go commando. We usually don't even head to the parks until the afternoon, after lunch. We spend time at the pool, have lunch and then go to the parks around 3pm. Do some rides, have a nice cool sit down dinner and do rides after dinner. Use our cooling towels when we leave and get free ice water at the CS at the parks. Works for us.

We usually go 1-2 a year as well, no commando stuff allowed from me anymore (I was ONE of those types for the longest time! WDW is much more pleasant when you actually take your time to enjoy it!

We were there for a week last August and the weather was surprisingly cooler than normal and it rained. Of course that's not what I'd expect when going in August, but you never know. The nice thing about August is you will get rain and sometimes that clears out the park. Is go early and come back to the poly to spend the hottest part of the day. IMO you can brag all you want on where you are staying!! Poly is the best and I'm guessing you probably got "the deal" since your staying there in late august, right???? We are staying at the poly in November and I'm so excited I could bust!!! Enjoy your trip!

Yes, we got "the deal" LOL. I think ;) That weather though....its so unpredictable no matter when but I'd gladly take "cooler than normal" for our week there! Hubby thinks hes going to melt, I fear!

I was just picturing the Poly and the possible places to find shade and keep cool. We go often in august and just lounge by the pool in the heat of the afternoon then back out in the evening. Oh did I tell you we stay in the Beach Club Villas? DVC members!!!!!!!:worship::worship::worship::worship:

There shall be plenty of POOL time on this trip for sure! We don't own, yet. Although we did take a DVC tour in November and are highly considering it!

We've gone in August 4 times, including the last week. I love that last week. The parks were considerably less crowded as lots of kids return to school in August. ADRs and FP+ availability will probably be as good as you can get during any time your kids have off from school.
We don't mind the heat, so I can't determine how well you'll fair with that. Also, I love to hear where people are staying in their posts. It brings back to WDW a bit and also helps giving advice after considering cost, location, and resort amenities. I for one, would not like to pay a premium for a Deluxe if it was too hot for me to enjoy the grounds.

This was one of the draws...less crowded parks. CRT availability galore, along with ample BOG Dinners definitely proves this. So, that would be nice. I love the heat, DH doesn't appreciate it very much.

We are not normally RD people but I would say do it with afternoon breaks for this trip.
That is the plan! :)

Breaks, breaks and more breaks! This is crucial for us even when we go in the Fall (and I went this past Nov, like you said and it was unusually HOT). We are going in September, and I know it going to be very hot/humid, but we are doing mornings at the parks, taking a break each day around 12:30-1pm and then going back on the evenings. We don't do the morning to night thing anymore. We love the breaks to enjoy the resort, nap, swim and just refresh for the evenings. It will make things much more bearable and enjoyable. Have a great trip!

Agree. We really enjoyed our visit, even though the heat was sickening at times. It made us slow down and enjoy our surroundings and have the chance to spend more time at the resort, etc...and NAP (even though it was just us 2 adults in November LOL).

A reminder to please keep it friendly.

The topic is August weather and if that makes it too miserable to book.

August/September are peak hurricane months. Hazy, hot, humid, repeat each day. Daily thunderstorm as well. It's a given.

Whether that weather is too miserable is up to you. The hottest time of day is late afternoon/early evening. That's a great time to plan dining and be in the air conditioning. Coolest time is first thing in am and night.

Most FL schools are back in session that last week. That should make it less crowded during the week days.

My philosophy is any day at Disney is a better day than anywhere else! :)

True! The breaks and slower pace seems to be the way to go!

OP's resort choice is actually completely relevant to this question IMHO. August is hot and if you are going to spend a lot of time hanging out at the resort to avoid the heat, resort choice is key.

That being said - we've gone to WDW the last week of August for the past 5 years (including Poly last August) and the Poly pool has very, very little shade. We got by because we mostly swam and didn't lounge at the pool, but if you were thinking of lounging, it's not pleasant. The umbrellas are few and far between.

Two summers ago, when the heat index reached upwards of 105 F (apparently a record for Orlando), I swore we wouldn't do August again, but I couldn't resist as we got a great price and the crowds are relatively low. Our game plan is always to go at RD, stay until about 1-2 pm, go back to the resort to relax, eat TS around 6 pm and then head back out to a park or other activity as the sun starts going down. It really works well for us. My DS8 also loves Lilo's Playhouse, so some evenings he would go there while I would wander around or go to MK by myself. We also did Blizzard Beach one day which was great for cooling off (just avoid the slides that have long, unshaded queues!).

It is doable. I would say, though, if you are worried that the cost of Poly won't be worth it because of the heat, I would encourage you to price out an EP resort (which is great due to walking distance to EP and DHS), or a mod like POR which has a shadier pool.

My girls LOVED it when it was still Neverland Club! I'm excited to have my youngest 2 try out the new "Lilo's Playhouse" while DH, Oldest DD and I try out Trader Sams :) For now, our plan is to get going before the parks open, stay till around 11/12, back to the resort for swimming/relax then back to the parks after 5 or so. Kind of an On/Off type of schedule, Park for a day, relax for a day, etc...etc... I think that will help too!

OP, just thought you were like the myriad of others who mention the resort just to mention it that I've seen a lot on the boards. Such hypocrisy on these boards. People here often are so snobby (even often saying they don't care how much anything there will cost because no matter what happens they can afford it and if that prices a lot of other people out that's all the better for them). And if you go against that you're accused of being jealous. Granted, probably most here have more money than the average Disney goer, but still

Ok, let's just drop it already, sorry I mentioned it. Just oftentimes it comes across as bragging when it's not necessary to mention as it usually makes no difference to the question. Although it's not usually in the thread title, it's often in the first post. I've noticed numerous examples of this throughout my months on here more recently. Again I don't care where people stay but it's annoying when it's mentioned unnecessarily. And yes, almost always otherwise I do read the entire first post.

You come off sounding like you have a huge chip on your shoulder

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter