7 night western caribbean excursion ideas

wosmack

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone!
We have an upcoming western Caribbean Disney cruise. I was just wondering if I could get some feedback on excursions. I already have a good idea of what we will be doing on Grand Cayman, but I was wondering if you guys would be kind enough to give ideas regarding the other ports.

We were trying to not book through Disney b/c of the cost and were wondering if there was easy access to nice beaches at Jamaica and Cozumel. I've heard good things about a park on the beach at Cozumel called Chankanas because we were wanting to swim with dolphins and snorkel but were wondering if anyone knew how easy it was to get to from the port and any feedback regarding this outing? Also,

Any ideas for access to nice beaches in Jamaica and safe way to get there? We are interested in snorkeling here as well.
Also, does these need to be paid for in advance or can we wait till we get there when not going through DCL?
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Chad

Well in Jamaica I would suggest ONLY booking through Disney(or whatever cruise line you are on). That is not a place you want to be out on your own. One wrong turn etc...that said I would do the tubing if they have it available.

Cozumel I have always felt pretty safe to take a cab or walk around and drink some cheap beers. I've actually never done an excursion in Cozumel, always just find stuff to do on my own. But I'm sure some other people will chime in on excursions that fit your goals. Have fun!

We're doing the 7 day Western cruise in October and we're first time cruisers. I've done a lot of research and decided on an excursion in Cozumel on the Fury Catamaran, which includes snorkeling and a small beach park. At Grand Cayman, we're going to the Marriott on Seven Mile Beach by taxi (so on our own).

I was looking at the bob sled mini-coaster and Dunn's River Falls in Jamaica, but the price turned me off...$450!!! I've read numerous posts here that it's best not to venture far from the port on your own in Jamaica. I'd like to get off the boat and walk around, but we're probably not going to do much. I'm sure Jamaica is a beautiful place, but they don't seem to have the best reputation online.

I did the Western Caribbean, and found many excursions in Jamaica take some time to get to. Everything was booked through Disney, and travel alone took a solid 2+ hours. I wouldn't want to risk not getting back in time or adventuring into unknown places.
The excursions I did was the Horseback riding and Dunns River Falls. I'd highly recommend the falls! Not so much the horseback. I've been horseback riding a good part of my life and now mainly do trail rides at different destinations. I was saddened to see the horses and the condition they were in, it broke my heart and I couldn't truly enjoy the excursion seeing that. The falls are gorgeous and it really is a team effort to climb up the falls. It was full of adventure and making new friends along the way.
There are other excursions available for beach trips and snorkeling, but I say book through Disney to ensure that you get back in time and for overall peace of mind.

Here is what we have done and enjoyed in each port. We almost always arrange our own excursions. That's personal preference, but we've never had a problem in a dozen or so cruises.
Cozumel: taxi to Paradise Beach. Done this multiple times. Easy and inexpensive. Lots of fun. Check out their website. Maybe 15 minute ride from cruise port.
Grand Cayman: Sting Ray City through Captain Marvin's. you can walk to Theo office right at the cruise/tender drop-off. Great fun and they will drop you off afterward on 7-mile beach if you prefer.
Falmouth: we took a cab to Margaritaville in Montego Bay. Swam on the beach there, actually had some pretty decent snorkeling. Then ate at the restaurant and enjoyed a few times down their slide.

Cozumel is easy to catch a cab, but hold on to your hats, they drive pretty crazy and the roads are narrow. LOL We have done Chankannab and the Dolphin swim there. The park is nice and there is a small beach there. Would recommend Nachi Cochum or Mr Sanchos, or even Paradise over that if you want a beach and snorkeling. We have done the Fury Catamaran as well as and they have you snorkle not too far off Paradise beach. Can get pretty churned up later in the day especially if numerous ships are in port, so go early if doing on your own.

Here is what we have done and enjoyed in each port. We almost always arrange our own excursions. That's personal preference, but we've never had a problem in a dozen or so cruises.
Cozumel: taxi to Paradise Beach. Done this multiple times. Easy and inexpensive. Lots of fun. Check out their website. Maybe 15 minute ride from cruise port.
Grand Cayman: Sting Ray City through Captain Marvin's. you can walk to Theo office right at the cruise/tender drop-off. Great fun and they will drop you off afterward on 7-mile beach if you prefer.
Falmouth: we took a cab to Margaritaville in Montego Bay. Swam on the beach there, actually had some pretty decent snorkeling. Then ate at the restaurant and enjoyed a few times down their slide.
Thx so much for feedback!! Did the beach at Montego Bay provide the snorkeling supplies or did you bring your own? Are the cab prices negotiable or are the taxis based on mileage/time...just getting ideas of prices.
Thx sgain

Cozumel is easy to catch a cab, but hold on to your hats, they drive pretty crazy and the roads are narrow. LOL We have done Chankannab and the Dolphin swim there. The park is nice and there is a small beach there. Would recommend Nachi Cochum or Mr Sanchos, or even Paradise over that if you want a beach and snorkeling. We have done the Fury Catamaran as well as and they have you snorkle not too far off Paradise beach. Can get pretty churned up later in the day especially if numerous ships are in port, so go early if doing on your own.
Did you guys book Chankanaab through cruiselinenor just go there and pay for it? My sister and niece are the ones really wanting the dolphin swim....is that the best place for the dolphins? Just trying to figure out the best fun without breaking the bank!! Thx again!

Thx so much for feedback!! Did the beach at Montego Bay provide the snorkeling supplies or did you bring your own? Are the cab prices negotiable or are the taxis based on mileage/time...just getting ideas of prices.
Thx sgain
We rented snorkeling supplies at Doctor's Cave Beach. Wear the life vests and go into the deeper water for better snorkeling. It seems that the taxi price was negotiable and reasonable. I do remember our driver offered to pick us up for the return trip, and he was there at the time we agreed. I know Jamaica makes some folks nervous, but we had no issues. My parents, on the other hand, stayed at the port in Falmouth and walked around a little "outside the fence." They hated the aggressiveness of the vendors and didn't feel completely safe.

Last edited:
I agree with Nachi Cocum in Cozumel. I'm so disappointed that they are closed for a private function when we will be there in November.

In Jamaica we take a cab to the Rose Hall Hilton. I agree do not go outside of the port to wander around. We call the first taxi guy we had and he picks us up, takes us there, and comes back to get us at the end of the day. It is about 30 minutes and $50 each way but worth it to get to that amazing place! Plus you get a little tour of the countryside.

We have only gotten off once in Grand Cayman and we did the turtle farm. It was okay. We are hoping to do a dolphin encounter somewhere.

I agree with Nachi Cocum in Cozumel. I'm so disappointed that they are closed for a private function when we will be there in November.

In Jamaica we take a cab to the Rose Hall Hilton. I agree do not go outside of the port to wander around. We call the first taxi guy we had and he picks us up, takes us there, and comes back to get us at the end of the day. It is about 30 minutes and $50 each way but worth it to get to that amazing place! Plus you get a little tour of the countryside.

We have only gotten off once in Grand Cayman and we did the turtle farm. It was okay. We are hoping to do a dolphin encounter somewhere.
What is the price and process for visiting the Rose Hall Hilton? Did you get a day pass or a room?

Did you guys book Chankanaab through cruiselinenor just go there and pay for it? My sister and niece are the ones really wanting the dolphin swim....is that the best place for the dolphins? Just trying to figure out the best fun without breaking the bank!! Thx again!
We did book through cruise line, but it would be easy enough to do on your own, and less expensive. I am not sure if this is the best place for dolphins, it is the only one I have done. You can check out their website for prices: http://www.cozumelparks.com/eng/chankanaab.cfm

We did the dolphin swim at Dolphinaris in Cozumel. It was very touristy, but that is to be expected. It was an awesome first experience for DD (age 9). DH and I swam with the dolphins in Freeport many years ago----we had our own dolphin and actually had time to swim and play with him. This excursion is more of a photo op.---be we are glad we did it with DD. In Grand Cayman we did the Sea Trek helmet dive----AWESOME experience! Highlight of our trip. Falmouth----got off the ship for a little shopping, went to Margaritaville and back on the ship in time for lunch. Enjoy your cruise!

We're doing the 7 day Western cruise in October and we're first time cruisers. I've done a lot of research and decided on an excursion in Cozumel on the Fury Catamaran, which includes snorkeling and a small beach park. At Grand Cayman, we're going to the Marriott on Seven Mile Beach by taxi (so on our own).

I was looking at the bob sled mini-coaster and Dunn's River Falls in Jamaica, but the price turned me off...$450!!! I've read numerous posts here that it's best not to venture far from the port on your own in Jamaica. I'd like to get off the boat and walk around, but we're probably not going to do much. I'm sure Jamaica is a beautiful place, but they don't seem to have the best reputation online.

We did this excursion in Cozumel on our first cruise so just a warning about it....the place they took us to snorkel was extremely difficult to swim in and my boys would not get off the boat because they were not strong enough swimmers to snorkel. My daughter and husband spent some time out there but it was very difficult for them also. The beach park was cool but also too difficult for my kids so they just hung out at the beach. I think Cozumel for our next cruise will only be walking around at the port and then getting back on the ship. I hope you enjoy your excursions. :duck:

We did this excursion in Cozumel on our first cruise so just a warning about it....the place they took us to snorkel was extremely difficult to swim in and my boys would not get off the boat because they were not strong enough swimmers to snorkel. My daughter and husband spent some time out there but it was very difficult for them also. The beach park was cool but also too difficult for my kids so they just hung out at the beach. I think Cozumel for our next cruise will only be walking around at the port and then getting back on the ship. I hope you enjoy your excursions. :duck:

We are considering the Fury Catamaran with our kids but now am not sure if the water is rough. Curious as to what time of year you went and also what were the ages of your kids?

In Cozumel - Walk down to the MEGA store, the beer is super cheap. 3 six-packs and a bag of chips: $12. There where 3 of us, so we each took a six-pack back on the ship!

This is a great idea! I hadn't even thought of it. How do the day passes work? Is it facilities only? Or is there an option to get a room as well? (And can I use Marriott points to pay for it?)

A relaxing day on the beach in Grand Cayman, complete with hotel facilities, sounds perfect.

This is a great idea! I hadn't even thought of it. How do the day passes work? Is it facilities only? Or is there an option to get a room as well? (And can I use Marriott points to pay for it?)

A relaxing day on the beach in Grand Cayman, complete with hotel facilities, sounds perfect.

I actually don't have all of the details (sorry!)...I found a post here last week when I was searching for what to do in Grand Cayman. Trip Advisor has several reviews where people got day passes there ($15-30) and enjoyed it.
We are Marriott Rewards members too, so I was planning on calling them to get the details sometime this week. I can update here when I do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter