7 Month window is a scam

Here is what I did last week. Just an example that you can book inside 7 months.

Last week made the decision to book DVC week of 10/18 (6+ months)

Looked for a studio for for 10/18-10/24 No place I wanted had full availability ( I think SSR and Kidanin were avail). I don't care for either one for different reasons, but I do like Jambo House.

I booked 10/19-10/21 and 10/22-10/24 at Jambo House Wait listed 10/22. Also wait listed another resort for the full time frame. I did not waitlist 1st day I figured I would just keep an eye on it and adjust my plans accordingly.

Booked 1 night 10/21 at another resort just as a back-up, so I wouldn't be homeless for a night.

Checked Availability a few times.
10/18 became available and I booked. Called MS to tie 1st night with the next couple nights. While on the phone was informed waitlist for 10/22 came through. MS tied all pieces together. Added 2nd waitlist for a second location.

It doesn't always work that quick but I had options.
1- I could have booked SSR or Kidani from the beginning.
2- I could have done a split stay by watching avail and or changing waitlist.

When I bought my BWV points in 2004, my guide was really trying a hard sell of SSR for me. She told me I would have no problem getting any of the other resorts (then just BCV, VWL, OKW, and BWV plus HH and VB) at the 7 month window. Right off the bat, that didn't make sense to me. When I looked at the size and location of SSR and compared it to the sizes and locations of the other resorts, supply and demand made me believe that there would likely be more people who owned at SSR who would be interested in booking into the smaller resorts than people in the smaller resorts would want to book into SSR. She continued to tell me over and over that SSR was the way to go, but it wasn't until I flat out told her I had no interest in staying at SSR because it was too spread out for me, and that I would purchase either BCV or BWV sight unseen that she finally offered me points at BWV.

So owning where you want to stay is definitely necessary if you want to guarantee a room at the smaller resorts, particularly during the more popular times like December. I have been able to book full weeks at BCV and WLV at the 7 month window in May, August, and September, but know that if I want to stay there in December it would be highly unlikely I could get a room.

When I bought my BWV points in 2004, my guide was really trying a hard sell of SSR for me. She told me I would have no problem getting any of the other resorts (then just BCV, VWL, OKW, and BWV plus HH and VB) at the 7 month window. Right off the bat, that didn't make sense to me. When I looked at the size and location of SSR and compared it to the sizes and locations of the other resorts, supply and demand made me believe that there would likely be more people who owned at SSR who would be interested in booking into the smaller resorts than people in the smaller resorts would want to book into SSR. She continued to tell me over and over that SSR was the way to go, but it wasn't until I flat out told her I had no interest in staying at SSR because it was too spread out for me, and that I would purchase either BCV or BWV sight unseen that she finally offered me points at BWV.

So owning where you want to stay is definitely necessary if you want to guarantee a room at the smaller resorts, particularly during the more popular times like December. I have been able to book full weeks at BCV and WLV at the 7 month window in May, August, and September, but know that if I want to stay there in December it would be highly unlikely I could get a room.
We also had the SSR hard-sell in 2004 when buying our first contract, direct. We wanted BWV, tried being firm ... but after months of negotiating and rounds of paperwork, we caved while hearing songs of assurances, "You'll have no trouble booking your intended BWV travel using SSR points." Yes, I considered our buying process both a hard-sell and a rather unpleasant experience.

However, now 11 years later, we've been fine using our SSR points. We've booked our typical BWV 1BR unit for 7-10 nights every January (our original plan and a low demand season) and have enjoyed visits to Grand Cal, Aulani, Vero, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom, OKW, etc. Looking forward to trying a Poly studio "just for fun" to end our year of DVC PAPs.

In addition to being part of Jersey week, 11/6 & 7 is Disney's Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend. That's a VERY POPULAR event and the reason even SSR isn't available. According to drushba, a DIS poster who tracks historical DVC availability, the Friday of that race weekend sells out at about the same pace as NYE.

Hope it works out for her.
We have to worry about Jersey week too? So we should just know better than to expect to get what we want during any school vacation week, Christmas week, fall, jersey week, Pop Warner week, marathon week, soup week, Icelandic sweater week, ice cream sundae week, epcotized week or any other week that includes a Tuesday. Other than that...
  • :)

Last edited:
We have to worry about Jersey week too? So we should just know better than to expect to get what we want during any school vacation week, Christmas week, fall, jersey week, Pop Warner week, marathon week, soup week, Icelandic sweater week, ice cream sundae week, epcotized week or any other week that includes a Tuesday. Other than that...
I know you are using sarcasm, but you are way overdoing it. All of those times will be available at your home resort if you use the 11 month window. You certainly will have options other than your home resort at 7 months for virtually all of the summer weeks. Some members have had luck at 7 months for every time you have mentioned.

If you do not want the stress of having to book at 7 months, you must buy where you want to stay, pay the higher price/dues if necessary and use the home resort booking priority. That's the system.

That about sums it up.

Remember you own at X resort(s) that happen to be a member of the Disney Vacation Club. A common misperception and important technicality is that we don't actually own DVC generically even though I know many look at it that way. Even for the home resort all you really have a right to (absent fixed week ownership) attempt a reservation. DVC has been getting more difficult to reserve the last few years, IMO almost completely due to SSR even to the point of affecting other resorts somewhat inside their home resort window likely all the way back to the 11 month timeframe in some cases. The 7 month window is still viable for many, esp if they use the wait list, but some options are not likely unless you just get lucky and catch a cancelation and this list is growing though should be maxed out pretty soon for current resorts. At the end of the day it really doesn't matter what the assumptions were or sales rhetoric was at the time of purchase, it truly is irrelevant now. The one thing that's a constant with timeshares is that things change over time and almost never for the better.

If you do not want the stress of having to book at 7 months, you must buy where you want to stay, pay the higher price/dues if necessary and use the home resort booking priority. That's the system.
For some this means that DVC is not a viable option even when DVC would otherwise be perfect for them. Maybe a DVC fixed week will work for some when they have specific needs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter