7 Lessons I learned about photography yesterday.

Quicklabs

DIS Veteran
It was a nice day and I had a choice between cleaning my house and going out and taking pictures. Wish all choices were that easy.

My goal was to find out if I really needed a wide angle lens at this point and to spend some quality time with my 18-200 and my 50 1.8. I wanted to give myself some lighting challenges to see what the lenses were capable of within my very limited range of skills.

1st lesson I learned:
I'm as blind as a bat without my glasses. I need to always bring my reading glasses! That little LCD camera is waaaaaaaaaaaay too small for me to see anything.

2nd lesson I learned:
Check the settings on the camera before shooting. Especially white balance! I was messing around with the WB on incandescent the night before and forgot to change it. DOH!!! Because I couldn't see what I was shooting (see lesson 1), about 30 or 40 shots were taken on the wrong WB. Blue is my favorite color, but I don't want it in my pictures.

Deskvignette.jpg

DSC_0401-1.jpg

3rd lesson: Sometimes, if the subject is right, some creative photoshopping comes in handy, but don't count on it.
Lesson 4 is, Buy a program that will handle raw and start to shoot in raw. Whatever it is will have to be user friendly (Nikon Capture NX?)

Desksepia.jpg

Spinnngwheel.jpg

Lesson 5: The VR on my 18-200 is a godsend. I can handhold occasionally at 1/13". There weren't a lot of those, but this shot is right out of the camera. Not perfect, by any means, but usable.
DSC_0777-1.jpg

Lesson 6: A portable little tripod will (like the Joby Gorillapod) will probably get some good use. I don't have any tripod right now, but I found lots of situations in which the Gorillapod could have easily done the trick for me (See lesson 5)

Lesson 7: My 50mm on my crop camera just is too darn close sometimes. So instead of buying the Tokina 11-16 that I thought I might need, I'm going to look into a 30 mm prime. I've been reviewing the Sigma 30 1.4.

Greetings from one of the Forbes' list 10 fastest dying cities in America!
Belltower.jpg

Thanks for reading! Have a great Sunday!

It was a nice day and I had a choice between cleaning my house and going out and taking pictures. Wish all choices were that easy.

Good for you!!

My goal was to find out if I really needed a wide angle lens at this point and oo spend some quality time with my 18-200 and my 50 1.8. I wanted to give myself some lighting challenges to see what the lenses were capable of...

Excellent idea. Sometimes you have to just give yourself the time to get out there and shoot just to shoot. :thumbsup2

Lesson 4 is, Buy a program that will handle raw and start to shoot in raw. Whatever it is will have to be user friendly (Nikon Capture NX?)

Nikon ViewNX is free and will do RAW conversions along with White Balance, Picture Control and Exposure Compensation. Much easier to start with this rather than spending the money on CNX or CNX2.

Oh, also re: the Sigma 30mm f/1.4. There are a few of us here that have this lens. I for one really like it. Excellent focal length and it is pretty sharp. Some copies have had back focus issues, but that is easily remedied by sending into Sigma for recalibration. My copy is fine. Its a great addition to my bag.

Is the Nikon View NX downloadable from somewhere? Where can I find it?
Thanks again!

Nikon ViewNX is free and will do RAW conversions along with White Balance, Picture Control and Exposure Compensation. Much easier to start with this rather than spending the money on CNX or CNX2.

Oh, also re: the Sigma 30mm f/1.4. There are a few of us here that have this lens. I for one really like it. Excellent focal length and it is pretty sharp. Some copies have had back focus issues, but that is easily remedied by sending into Sigma for recalibration. My copy is fine. Its a great addition to my bag.

Go to Nikon's site and go to software and follow the instructions.

My goal was to find out if I really needed a wide angle lens at this point and to spend some quality time with my 18-200 and my 50 1.8. I wanted to give myself some lighting challenges to see what the lenses were capable of within my very limited range of skills.

1st lesson I learned:
I'm as blind as a bat without my glasses. I need to always bring my reading glasses! That little LCD camera is waaaaaaaaaaaay too small for me to see anything.

2nd lesson I learned:
Check the settings on the camera before shooting. Especially white balance! I was messing around with the WB on incandescent the night before and forgot to change it. DOH!!! Because I couldn't see what I was shooting (see lesson 1), about 30 or 40 shots were taken on the wrong WB. Blue is my favorite color, but I don't want it in my pictures.

Deskvignette.jpg

DSC_0401-1.jpg

3rd lesson: Sometimes, if the subject is right, some creative photoshopping comes in handy, but don't count on it.

Desksepia.jpg

Spinnngwheel.jpg

Lesson 5: The VR on my 18-200 is a godsend. I can handhold occasionally at 1/13". There weren't a lot of those, but this shot is right out of the camera. Not perfect, by any means, but usable.
DSC_0777-1.jpg

Lesson 6: A portable little tripod will (like the Joby Gorillapod) will probably get some good use. I don't have any tripod right now, but I found lots of situations in which the Gorillapod could have easily done the trick for me (See lesson 5)

Lesson 7: My 50mm on my crop camera just is too darn close sometimes. So instead of buying the Tokina 11-16 that I thought I might need, I'm going to look into a 30 mm prime. I've been reviewing the Sigma 30 1.4.

Greetings from one of the Forbes' list 10 fastest dying cities in America!
Belltower.jpg

Thanks for reading! Have a great Sunday!

hmm i 'm trapped between 3,,,, canton to the southwest, cleveland and group to the north and youngstown to the seast....ne of us, ashtabula has been dead for ages so no mention of them ;):scared1: btw i like the spinning wheel in sepia

Great photos of Carillon Park! You had me guessing at the McGuffey's Readers and totally sure by the printing press. :) Between 2 kids, I've been to several field trips.
Dayton, dying! :eek: Say it isn't so!!

Handicap 18--thanks so much! I'm running Service Pack 3 on my Windows XP and the VIew NX says it is supports Service Pack 2. Do you think that will be a problem? (I guess that's a way of asking, do you think it would screw up my operating system if it doesn't say anything about SP 3?)

Handicap 18--thanks so much! I'm running Service Pack 3 on my Windows XP and the VIew NX says it is supports Service Pack 2. Do you think that will be a problem? (I guess that's a way of asking, do you think it would screw up my operating system if it doesn't say anything about SP 3?)

You should be fine.

To some extent, #4 takes care of #2... shooting in raw means not having to worry about white balance, or sharpness or most other image settings on the camera... you still need to watch that pesky ISO, aperture, and shutter speed though. :)

You forgot lesson number 8 that I learned last weekend shooting at one of the local aquariums. Take off the polarizer filter when using a flash indoors.

I totally sympathize with the reading glasses part, I am really getting tired of not seeing what I am eating...LOL

As far as camera shake, I am having more and more problems with that as I get older (always had slight tremble). Seems that the only thing helping me is IS...fast lenses can only do so much and I hate hauling tripods everywhere.

I recently got a circular polarizing filter. I finally figured out why I kept seeing "rainbow-y" arcs in the viewfinder when using it in the bright sunshine...

Apparently you can't wear polarized sunglasses and use a CP at the same time. :cool2: I guess too much polarization is not a good thing.

Quicklabs - very nice photos, btw

A CP should actually help at an aquarium, as it will cut down on the reflections in the glass.

On the other hand, it does make things darker and the aquariums can be pretty dark to begin with... as with so many other things, it's a trade-off.

I always keep my CP on at the aquarium. The reflections of the glass are killer in there. But, even with a f/1.4 lens, you need a tripod in most cases.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter