7 in a cabin?

myob1

Earning My Ears
I posted this on another board as well. What are the chances of sneaking seven of us into a cabin (stated max is 6)? Our five kids are ages five to fifteen, with the five-year-old pretty much sleeping wherever he wants to. Are there bed checks?

thanks

The whole 'sneaking' thing notwithstanding, you would have problems if you wanted to take advantage of any EMH days at parks (Extra Magic Hours) because everyone with a park ticket also would need resort ID.

Additionally, it would be VERY VERY cosy. Double bed and bunkbeds in the back bedroom, and a double pull down Murphy bed in the LR. With only 1 bathroom for 7 people.

I would look into maybe 2 rooms at a Value Resort.

You'd certainly be more comfortable with two rooms at a value...you'd also have 2 bathrooms, and resort ID for everyone.

We stayed in the cabins with our five kids. Disney never asked us any questions. I think if you choose the two rooms at a value resort, you will end up paying more for food. With our five, eating almost every meal in the cabin saved us tons of money. Call and talk to a disney rep, have fun!

Our family of 4 fills the cabin nicely during a 1-week stay. I can't imagine squeezing 7 people into the cabin unless you're used to doing that sort of thing normally. I think it would be difficult to find space for luggage, etc. for 7 people.

mrsgus06, some of the other very helpful posters have mentioned the lack of a resort id as a problem. I can see that being a problem in terms of arriving early or staying late. How did you handle it?

I guess another possibility would be to bring a tent and rent a cabin and split the tribe between the two. Anybody ever give that a try?

I like the location and price of Ft. Wilderness, as well as the ability to cook our own meals.

myob1 said:
I guess another possibility would be to bring a tent and rent a cabin and split the tribe between the two. Anybody ever give that a try?
They won't let you put the tent on the cabin property (there isn't room anyway) but you could get a campsite in a loop near a cabin loop. That would cost more than 2 value rooms, but would solve the problem of being short one resort ID.

There is a map of the campground in this website http://www.disneycampers.com That will help you figure out which cabin loop is near a camping loop & bathhouse. I think it's 2100. You may want easy access to another bathroom.

6 of us went over Thanksgiving. We stayed part of the week in 2 rooms at the value and part of the week in the cabins. We could not get the cabins for the entire week. While having two bathrooms was nice, our vote is for the cabins. Having the kitchen and a full size bathroom is well worth it. Everytime someone got up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night they would hit their knee on the toilet at the value. My youngest son is 6 and preferred to sleep on the regular sofa because his father and I were on the murphy bed. So yes 7 is possible.

Myob1, with 5 kids under the age of 9 to get up, get fed and get to the parks, we never seemed to make it to any early hours :rolleyes: . I have, however, bought E ride night tickets, and they have never asked any of my kids for a resort ID. We now own our own camper and we were there all last week. They gave us ID tags for all. I put one in our truck and kept one on our golf cart and the rest stayed in the camper. I can't imaging them wanting you to carry 7 tickets plus 7 ID cards with you at all times?

We have stayed at the Ft. W cabins for two years in a row. We have 5 children, under age 10, with the youngest being 2 this year(so technically we were okay as per number in cabin).

There was plenty of room for us. We drove down a night early and stayed at POP. While POP was very nice, two rooms felt cramped. In the cabin we had plenty of room to spread out.

I high recommend the cabins. It is so easy to throw a waffle in the toaster and feed the kiddies while Mommy is in the shower.

I have never stayed in the cabins, and we only have 4 in our family, but it does seem like you could put the youngest on the couch (maybe bring a sleeping bag).

You may want to look through these pictures to see what you think:

http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/g_ftw.htm

I don't know how strict Disney is about the number in a room. Since we are a family of 4 we never have to check on that issue.

Good Luck!
DJ

We've stayed in cabins 3 times.
The last time the kids had the back bedroom and DH and I had the double murphy in the living room. One night DH was tossing around so much I jumped onto the couch. Although I was uncomfortable in the bed and on the couch because I am tall and big, a child would be fine on the couch.

I would think it would be fine. We only have 5 in our family, but I would have no problem if we had 2 more staying in a cabin. One bathroom is no problem because you have the kitchen. While the bathroom is in use I have some kids still sleeping & others eating. Works great!! :cloud9:

Also, you don't have to worry about the noise level in the cabins, where in a value resort you would have people on either side of you & my 3 kids alone can make enough noise coming "home" from the parks to wake the dead.

I would so go for it..... :rolleyes1

Even if you were worried about needing more than one bathroom (sometimes stomachs can get sensitive on vacation and all) are there comfort stations close enough by?

If you decide on a cabin, FYI: one cabin loop is adjacent to a "regular" camping look and therefore close to a Comfort Station. We stayed in a cabin a few years back with my parents, so we were a group of 6. I requested "Loop 2100, Bobcat Bend" and added "close to Comfort Station as we are a large group." They accomodated us and every morning my Dad would head to the Comfort Station to shower. It was less than a minute's walk, and there is also a laundry room in these stations. These are spotless and very nice. So it your group winds up in a cabin, requst #2100. Also, the Murphy bed does pull down adjacent to the couch, so if WDW OK's your "extra" person, your littlest one could easily sleep on that couch.

We had a CM who worked at FW tell us that often there are families of 7 people who stay at FW in the cabins. He acted like it was something to which they turn a blind eye. (Of course, this is NOT the official word...) Your trouble would come if you need I.D. for everyone. We stayed in the cabins when we were a family of 6 and I must say I hated the murphy bed! Otherwise, it is a great way to vacation.

I've always wanted to stay in one of the cabins but haven't yet. In my opinion, you'd be better off in the cabin. I used to work at All Star Music and I was never impressed with it. I've visited FW many times and love the atmosphere there- I guess it depends on what you're looking for in a resort. Plus who cares if you sneak an extra person in-IMO to a certain extent, Disney forces families with more than 2 kids to do that in all of their resorts because the average family can't afford 2 rooms at a moderate or deluxe resort and not everyone wants to stay at the value resorts!

Just ask Disney if you can have 7 since they are young. I have never had to show my resort key for early entry. Then again, maybe I never actually made it to early entry. There is always next time.

Tigger

Don't ask, don't tell, you'll be fine--just be prepared to skip early entry/late nights if you can't all get in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter