• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

7 Dwarves Mine Train totally underwhelming

I liked 7DMT, but wished it was longer. I feel like it just gets going, and the n, boom, slows down. I also like that it's something I can ride, since I cannot ride my fav BMT or Space anymore. :(

Now, Test Track, I liked the first version, much better, but this one is ok, and I still ride. Figment, nope, horrible. Rode it once and that was enough.

Last edited:
We ride it once per trip, so not our favorite. We don't mind since so many seem to like it. It's not like it's Captain EO or Stitch.

We thought that it was OK but wouldn't use a FP+ for it again. However I adore Big Thunder Mountain.

We just went on it the other day and it was great fun. My granddaughter loved it.

--Tim

For me the best part of 7DMT is the lovely mine scene. When I went on Snow white dark ride as a child, I loved how the Diamond mine sparkled. As I got older, the magic wore off and I could see the tricks the Imagineers used. Now when I ride 7DMT, I love the "new" magic of that scene, and know that in the very same mine car are little ones totally believing those gems are real.
That's Disney magic.

I wish more people found it underwhelming. It's my 3 year old twins favorite and it's very hard to get FP+ and no way I'm standing in line for that.

As someone who hasn't seen it yet (in person) I'm interested in why you think night time is better? If we end up getting a BOG ADR it might fit in nicely if I can get a FP+ for it.

I haven't ridden at night yet, but I'll bet a lot of the difference is in not having the abrupt transitions from FL sunshine to dark ride and back again. Also, the cottage scene at the end seems like it would "pop" a lot better at night, with a clear view of lit characters inside the windows, than it does with the sun reflecting off of them.

We like 7DMT but I agree it probably could've used more story elements. Once when we were on we stopped at the cottage at the end for an unusually long amount of time, that was fun

We did FPs for this ride, and I'm very glad. It was totally underwhelming, just a slight variation on Thunder Mountain. Can't believe this is something they spent all that time on. Or that people wait 80 minutes to go on!

Also went on the new(ish) Figment ride. What another underwhelming ride! What has happened to the Imagineers?

On the plus side, there were few lines for rides. And they sure are in a building frenzy now. And the new Test Track is a big improvement.

We haven't been to WDW in a couple of years. We went to Universal last year, and WDW definitely feels like it got left behind in the technology race. I sure hope they turn things around with the new Star Wars and Toy Story lands.

We'll go again this year sometime to use our annual passes, but after that will take a break for a year or two. It's not that we aren't having fun -- we are -- but I thought the new rides would be a lot more spectacular, especially after being blown away at Universal.

I share your sentiments. I hope Toy Story land doesn't get a 7DmT ride (slinky the dog coaster) and Dino-Rama type ride.

Totally agree - we missed a fast pass because it was not working and then waited about 35 minutes prior to park closing to ride. DD who is 5 wanted to go back on Splash Mountain and BTMR but did not say a word about doing this ride again. We rode at night and still found it not as exciting as we had anticipated.

We are two adults, and we loved the ride. All the theming surrounding it is extemely charming, with the woods and the cute cottage. The games in the queue were great. The coaster portion was fun and smooth, and the mine scene is just beautiful. Sure it's short, but I'm all for quality over quantity, and this ride is quality all the way. Besides, all fantasyland rides are short. People wait forever for Peter Pan, and that ride is over in a blink.

By the way, that witch AA is impressive. Did you see how she moves? And she moved differently with different ride throughs.

Someone asked why it took so long to build...that's because it was added to the New Fantasyland plans after the initial announcement. They were starting from scratch, at the design phase. I'm just glad they added something that wasn't all about princesses.

Last edited:
Not that we didn't like it but I think because it has such a long wait, I expected more.

This describes mine, and my kid's feelings as well. We made the mad dash at rd for it (still had to wait 25 minutes as I am slowing down in my old age) and rode it sb. It was ok, but given all the hype, lack of FP's and gosh awful standby times we expected more.

I didn't think it was too short per se, but thought the theming was lacking.

I really like this ride, but it is just way too short. We rode it last year for the first time and when we were walking out I told my husband I would not be happy if I wanted 90 minutes for a 2 minute ride. Again,love the ride, hate the length.

We did FPs for this ride, and I'm very glad. It was totally underwhelming, just a slight variation on Thunder Mountain. Can't believe this is something they spent all that time on. Or that people wait 80 minutes to go on!

Also went on the new(ish) Figment ride. What another underwhelming ride! What has happened to the Imagineers?

On the plus side, there were few lines for rides. And they sure are in a building frenzy now. And the new Test Track is a big improvement.

We haven't been to WDW in a couple of years. We went to Universal last year, and WDW definitely feels like it got left behind in the technology race. I sure hope they turn things around with the new Star Wars and Toy Story lands.

We'll go again this year sometime to use our annual passes, but after that will take a break for a year or two. It's not that we aren't having fun -- we are -- but I thought the new rides would be a lot more spectacular, especially after being blown away at Universal.

As PP have stated, the Fantasyland aspect of 7DMT makes it very friendly towards younger, smaller guests.

Figment was rehabbed in 1999 and 2002. Not sure what you mean by newish? It was changed over a decade ago. I agree it needs to rethought and redone again, but it should stay as a Figment attraction, for all ages.

Test Track is about the same, with just different scenery. If you close your eyes, it's easy to imagine you are back in the old one. It's still fun, and we mastered the car design for high score this past trip.

We also went to Universal - was disappointed that there was just one ride in the new Harry Potter area, the shops are still overcrowded/tiny/poorly designed, and they did away with the toy shop in Hogmeade. Also disappointed that so many of the storefronts in Diagon Alley are just sets and not real shops. Hogwarts Express was brilliant, Gringotts was a nice, scaled back version of Hogwarts, but the mass=holding areas of the Universal queues are cheap in design.

7dmt is a kiddie coaster geared toward young kids. Hence it being in new Fantasyland. Idk why people go into it thinking its a big thrill ride.

If you go into it realizing it's made for young kids, you don't set your expectations too high and have fun. Riding it at night and in the back row is fun. I personally think they did a great job with the amount of space they had. I love huge coasters and loops, but I can appreciate what Disney did with 7dmt
It is geared toward FAMILIES. It is fun, albeit short, but no shorter then RnRC, and has some very nice scenes that are not seen on regular coasters. Please, if you people want heart in your throat thrills, please go to some other place, Six Flags maybe, and leave those of us that still like Disney to enjoy what we like without having to listen to the constant whining.

It is geared toward FAMILIES. It is fun, albeit short, but no shorter then RnRC, and has some very nice scenes that are not seen on regular coasters. Please, if you people want heart in your throat thrills, please go to some other place, Six Flags maybe, and leave those of us that still like Disney to enjoy what we like without having to listen to the constant whining.

If you find reading other posters' opinions tiresome or bothersome, there is an obvious solution......I was under the impression that an exchange of views was kinda the point here. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter