7 days on DxDP won't do it again

pmaurer74

DIS Veteran
We did regular DP and club level last year and liked it better. At first I was really on board with the DxDP we had 17 of our 21 meals reserved at TS and a plan. We were staying at the Poly so that made making to ADRS easy for MK and the resort monorails. We never expected that My husband would miss one day due to a back spasm, miss another day being in the hospital, miss yet another day due to DD being sick and another morning because Father-in-law ended up in the hospital. We ended up only canceling 4 of our ADRS but I think we broke even I will need to total it up to see. Using 42 snacks credits was very easy and we had no trouble with that. I felt bad that we missed our last reservation of Chef Mickeys because I know someone else would have wanted that but I did not know we were not going to make it until 7 minutes before our reservation (DH was coming back from the hospital).

I loved eating at all the restaurants and only gained 1 lb. but DH thought trying to make all the ADRs was too difficult. I really liked having the resort refillable mugs, we filled them up 3 times a day.

Sorry that some health issues and bad luck made it impossible to get the full benefit of the DxDP. Personally, I think 7 days is just too much on the DxDP because it really is (for most people) overeating. It's fun (and yummy) at first, but then gets to be too much. I did it for 4 days once and even then was a lot. I think my max would be 3 days and I would spread the credits out over 4.

This is a big reason we have never done the dining plan. In all my calculations, we might have broken even or come out slightly ahead with the plan. But get sick for even one day (or multiple, like in your example) and any savings are washed out!

Sorry to hear about all your troubles.

Maggie

WOW - that sounds extremely over-indulgent, especially staying at club level. That would have been enough food to turn me off. The regular dining plan should definitely suffice when at club level.

We did regular DP and club level last year and liked it better. At first I was really on board with the DxDP we had 17 of our 21 meals reserved at TS and a plan. We were staying at the Poly so that made making to ADRS easy for MK and the resort monorails. We never expected that My husband would miss one day due to a back spasm, miss another day being in the hospital, miss yet another day due to DD being sick and another morning because Father-in-law ended up in the hospital. We ended up only canceling 4 of our ADRS but I think we broke even I will need to total it up to see. Using 42 snacks credits was very easy and we had no trouble with that. I felt bad that we missed our last reservation of Chef Mickeys because I know someone else would have wanted that but I did not know we were not going to make it until 7 minutes before our reservation (DH was coming back from the hospital).

I loved eating at all the restaurants and only gained 1 lb. but DH thought trying to make all the ADRs was too difficult. I really liked having the resort refillable mugs, we filled them up 3 times a day.

We just spent 10 days at the poly on the dxdp. I never felt like it was too much food. I eat 2 meals a day at home I can certainely do it on vacation. We ate at a signature restaurant every night. I found the portions to be just the right size. We used every credit and I lost 5 lbs on the trip. I think with the dxdp you get a lot better quality of food. If I had been eating cs every meal I am sure I would have gained 5 pounds. Its unfortuanate thay you had to cancel 4 meals, but if you still broke even than nothing was lost. I know our dinners every night cost as much as the plan. Anything we ate for lunch or any snacks we got were bascically free. I would love to stay club plus dxdp if I could afford it. Not for the club food, but for great room location and the convenience. Our cheapest dinner was 221.00. We paid 245 a day for the plan. Our lunches usually ran around 100.00. For us it was a great savings.

WOW - that sounds extremely over-indulgent, especially staying at club level. That would have been enough food to turn me off. The regular dining plan should definitely suffice when at club level.

One of us mis-read. I read that last time they did CL and DDP (which they preferred) and this time they did Deluxe (no CL).

We too felt like there was way too much food involved with the Dxdp. We were fortunate enough to have been upgraded onto it FOC for our one week of our two week stay which is how we came to have it but there is no way we would do it again.
It was a great way of trying all the Siggies but we felt way too tied down wiht all the adr's. There was just way too much food involved we each left TS entitledments unused and we had 72 SC left at the end !!!!!
we just couldent eat that much !!

One of us mis-read. I read that last time they did CL and DDP (which they preferred) and this time they did Deluxe (no CL).

Looks like they mis-read b/c I understood what you understood. Along with that it would seem they are a bit judgemental...............

I really want to try the DxDDP, but my Dh says "no way". We did the basic plan last year, and never went hungry. We did do CRT oop, and split something at Rainforest. I would love to do it, but I don't think DD would like sitting down for over an hour several times a day. I think if we ever do an adults only long weekend, we will do it, but I think we would waste so much food on it. We are going to just do the basic plan next time, and if we want something extra, just pay for it.

I really want to try the DxDDP, but my Dh says "no way". We did the basic plan last year, and never went hungry. We did do CRT oop, and split something at Rainforest. I would love to do it, but I don't think DD would like sitting down for over an hour several times a day. I think if we ever do an adults only long weekend, we will do it, but I think we would waste so much food on it. We are going to just do the basic plan next time, and if we want something extra, just pay for it.

Actually, for us, this is probably the main reason we're doing it. I really feel like we'll all need about an hour's worth of downtime in the middle of the day, and then there's no reason not to have a sit-down meal before the park opens and then after a long day at the parks before heading back to our resort. I'm hoping that works for us!

I'm sorry to hear you had so many troubles come up on your trip. As far as dxdp, all I can say is we never go to Disney without it and wouldn't go without it. We just don't enjoy cs meals nearly as much. I know people say it's too much food, but we rarely eat more than 2 meals a day and save the extra credits for dinner shows and signatures. Sometimes we use a snack in the middle of the day for "lunch" and we cash in our unused snack credits on the last day for take-home treats. We have never left WDW with unused credits and I just don't see how eating 2 meals a day is too much food. We also don't resent the extra time for a sit-down meal because we see the dinner shows and character meals as an experience. I really think it depends on the family as to whether a dining plan is a waste or not.

I'm sorry to hear you had so many troubles come up on your trip. As far as dxdp, all I can say is we never go to Disney without it and wouldn't go without it. We just don't enjoy cs meals nearly as much. I know people say it's too much food, but we rarely eat more than 2 meals a day and save the extra credits for dinner shows and signatures. Sometimes we use a snack in the middle of the day for "lunch" and we cash in our unused snack credits on the last day for take-home treats. We have never left WDW with unused credits and I just don't see how eating 2 meals a day is too much food. We also don't resent the extra time for a sit-down meal because we see the dinner shows and character meals as an experience. I really think it depends on the family as to whether a dining plan is a waste or not.

I agree completely - most days on DxDP we have an early lunch and a later dinner at a signature restaurant or dinner show, with a character breakfast or 2 thrown in during the week to change things up a bit. It's so nice to have a sit down lunch as a break! Counter service always aggravates me - finding a place to sit, waiting on line, etc. We use snack credits to fill in for the missing meal - a pastry in the morning, etc. I would not recommend more than 2 meals a day! I also like the fact that DxDP adds the appetizer back in. DH loves appies, and I'm a dessert girl, so we're both happy!

We too only eat 2 meals a day and use snacks as needed during the day. I can't imagine eating 3 times a day at Disney. I just couldn't do it. We too saved lots of money on the plan even after paying the tip. It 's such a nice experience IMO. It's the only place where I eat what I want and not worry about prices.

We did the dxdp and the only time we felt it was too much food was last yr.
That was because we were determined to finish the whole food and wine passport, having a tasting at each booth.
If you are the type of people to not have to be in the parks every minute and like nice relaxing meals, I highly recommend it. We would do a breakfast or early lunch and a late signature dinner.
As a couple with no children, this was perfect for us.
We're staying DVC this yr so we are able to segment the plan so we can carry a meal over here and there. With going during food and wine this works for us. We can snack around WS during the day and have nice signature dinner.
Oh and by the way, we've always got our money's worth out of it. Depending on where you eat dinners for 2 can run well over $100 dollars.
I think it does require some thought and pre planning though. If you are not the type to enjoy nice leisurely meals or are lite eaters, it's probably not for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter