7 Day or 4 Day...Decisions, Decisions

Cruisekids12

Earning My Ears
Our family(DD-9,DS-13, DH, and I) just got back from our first cruise ever. We went on a four day on the Dream. We thouroughly enjoyed it! Within minutes of being on board we knew we wanted to do it again! We are home now and are beginnning to look at our options for 2013. We went ahead and booked a four day cruise while we were on board to secure the discount but are seriously looking to change to a seven day.

Everyone in the family except for DH wants to go on a 7 day. DH certainly enjoyed our four day cruise but it is the money that is making him uneasy. He is also a little bit nervous about there not being enough to do with three days at sea. I am convinced there will be but I may be wrong. What I would love for you all to do is post your 7 day cruise highlights that I can use to convince DH that the money is worth it and there will be plenty to do. Also if there is anyone who strongly recommends a 4 day over a 7 day we would love to hear your reasoning.

Also we have to decide what itinerary(Eastern or Western Carribean) we want to chose if we book a 7 day. For those with more cruising experience is there any itinerary you recommend? If you recomend an itinerary we would love it if you told us what you did while in each port. I am leaning towards the Eastern Carribean but we are certainly open to the Western.

Alright, you have your task now convince us why(or why not) we should go on a seven day!

Thanks,
Cruisekids12

Before kids, we cruised both a 7-day and a 10-day. Those were glorious.

With kids (ages 7 and 5), a recent 5-day cruise on Disney was enough. The benefits of the shorter cruise for me:

- being able to do a pre-trip vacation in the Orlando area...visiting the parks, eating out and enjoying a land vacation.
- Cost...the 7-day cruises on the Fantasy (during the times in 2013 that we'd like to cruise) are prohibitive
- Limit the # of sea days. The ship are well-designed for the most part. However, you can feel the crowds on sea days...pools and restaurants are definitely more crowded and it's not enjoyable. Also, not a big fan of how the Dream handled her sea day: parking in the ocean with no movement is not my idea of a sea day.

The Fantasy's sea days will be more like traditional sea days: moving from one port to another. However, having to contend with 3 days of 4,000 guests on the ship does not sound enjoyable.

I live in the world of "longer is better." Never had any trouble filling 7 nights...with or without kids!

With kids (ages 7 and 5), a recent 5-day cruise on Disney was enough. The benefits of the shorter cruise for me:

- being able to do a pre-trip vacation in the Orlando area...visiting the parks, eating out and enjoying a land vacation.
- Cost...the 7-day cruises on the Fantasy (during the times in 2013 that we'd like to cruise) are prohibitive
- Limit the # of sea days. The ship are well-designed for the most part. However, you can feel the crowds on sea days...pools and restaurants are definitely more crowded and it's not enjoyable. Also, not a big fan of how the Dream handled her sea day: parking in the ocean with no movement is not my idea of a sea day.

The Fantasy's sea days will be more like traditional sea days: moving from one port to another. However, having to contend with 3 days of 4,000 guests on the ship does not sound enjoyable.

OMG! Is that what they do? Anchor? That is no fun. We've done 3 seven nights with Disney and 1 three nighter, so I had no idea. We are on a 5 nigher this April! They must do this to save fuel! This is a bummer!!

There is more entertainment and events going on for the longer cruises. There will be more family and adult caberets (magicians and such) and more movies. Actually in the end there is so much that it is hard to do it all. If you are worried about the sea days you can book the western carribbean and that only has two sea days.

About the pre(or post) trip vacation. We did a post trip vacation to Busch Gardens, Tampa and Discovery Cove, Orlando. While we loved the Discovery Cove and Busch Gardens plan we don't really want to do the same exact thing next year. We aren't really sure if we can do Disney World but we would love to hear how you guys did it. How many days were you at Disney? What parks did you visit? Also, if there is anywhere else in Florida you would recommend let us know.

Thanks,
Cruisekids12

Couple of follow-ups:

- Yes, for the sea day on a 5-day Dream cruise in January, we pretty much found an empty spot in the ocean (away from land) and parked. I remember viewing the stateroom "from the bridge" TV channel and noting that we were moving at less than 1 kt/hr that day

- For our 5-day, we only flew in the day before to Orlando so we didn't couple the cruise with a Disney park experience. However, for our January 2013 cruise, we'll be flying in 3 days before the cruise. We're staying at a non-Disney property (with an indoor pool) so the kids can enjoy swimming (we live in Illinois so swimming in January in a novelty). We'll likely only hit the parks on one of the 3 days and spend time elsewhere in Orlando during the pre-cruise: Downtown Disney, enjoying the hotel facilities, etc.

I would love to do a 7 day. We just did the 4 day dream and I loved it! I felt that there was TOO much to do, and I didn't want to miss anything, so I never had down time.

Last time we did 3 nights at disney before hand. If i can convince DH to do the 7 day, we will only fly in the day before. My kiddos are really young so the cruise is much more relaxing for us.

I think you will have a blast no matter what!

Check out the 2 Western trip reports at the bottom of my signature (although I don't have kids). Note that the first one listed turned into an 8 night!

I live in the world of "longer is better." Never had any trouble filling 7 nights...with or without kids!

I agree! :thumbsup2
There's still never enough time. When they 1st released the 2008 PC crossing cruise, I quick called dh at work and couldn't get him to budge. He said he couldn't be on a ship for 14 nts but suggested I go with my parents. They couldn't take that much time off work so I let it go.:sad1:

Dh still regrets it. It was an Aug cruise and since then all PC cruises have been in spring and fall during the school year. :headache: Now I know better. I book first and tell dh later. :lmao: He's generally pretty easy-going about it.

Thanks for all of input. We decided to take a seven day cruise in September of 2013. We are going to do the Eastern Carribean as I am dying to go to St. Johns. Thanks again.

Cruisekids12

OMG! Is that what they do? Anchor? That is no fun. We've done 3 seven nights with Disney and 1 three nighter, so I had no idea. We are on a 5 nigher this April! They must do this to save fuel! This is a bummer!!

not to go way off topic, but no, the ship doesn’t just anchor at sea on a sea day if this is what you are asking. usually you are going from one place to another, sometimes slowly, sometimes quickly. at times the ship might be doing (what feels like anyway!) large, lazy circles in the ocean, but you don’t just sit. HTH :thumbsup2

We just booked 7 day. We love it! Western Carribbean in 2013 only has 2 sea days! Very excited for this cruise. Longer is better:)

Thanks everyone for your advice. We have decided to book a 7 Day Eastern Carribean Cruise. Right now we are trying to figure out what we want to do on the islands. At St. Thomas we are going to do the All Day Sail and Snorkel. At St. Maarten we want to go to Loterie Farms however we are not sure the best way to get there. Shoulkd we take a taxi or rent a car? What is the best rental agency? We have looked at Arthur's Car Rental. Does anyone have any experience with them? Thanks for all your help.

We have a 7 year old and we think 7 days are too short LOL we are looking forward to a 15 day cruise in 2015. There is so much to do that you are not able to do it all and the sea days are the best, that is what we are looking foward to the most. However since money is an concern for your DH maybe you can plan a cruise the following year instead to save up so your DH won't be so stressed. Either way your on a cruise so it's all good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter