7 Day cruise or land/sea package?

cassidyprincess

Earning My Ears
Hi All!! We have 2 children who will be 3 and 6 at the time of our trip, and I am wondering whether we should do the 7 day cruise or the land/sea package. I LOVE cruising but have never been to WDW...is there a ton for little kids, considering the price of the tickets to the parks, or would it be better to just take them on a great cruise this time and go to WDW a few years later?? All opinions are appreciated, thanks!! :sunny:

Hi, CassidyPrincess and WELCOME! If you have never gone to WDW, I would have to place my vote for the land and sea. I know your children will enjoy the parks and there are lots of things for them to do! My DD's first trip was at the age of 4 and she had a ball! Anyway, that's my two cents... :goodvibes

We did the land/sea our first cruise but we went down a week earlier and did 10 days at Disney and 4 onl the cruise..after the first day on the cruise I was sorry I didn't do 7 at disney and 7 on the cruise...your kids are old enough to love the parks and the cruise too...its a hard decision!

Thanks for your response! I have been a "lurker" here for a few months now but finally decided to post. Planning a trip to WDW is not like planning any other kind of vacation, there is so much involved! Where to stay, what tickets to get and where, discounts, etc...its all so confusing! But this board has helped a lot already, and I can't wait to go!! :cheer2:

Honestly, you will be happy with either choice. My kids were 6 and 3 on their first visit, and they were so into the characters, the parades, etc. Now that they are older, we're kind of "been there, done that" (they're 13 and 10 now), so we're doing the 7 night cruise. The parks are a bit hectic; if you do Land and Sea definately do the Land part first, since the cruise is very relaxing. Good luck with your decision - either one will be right!

Lisa :cool1:

We did land/sea in January with our 6 year old DS. While I really enjoyed staying at the Poly, I was overwhelmed with disneyworld. It was hard to have to travel sometimes quite a ways to get to the different parks. By our 3rd day our son didn't even want to leave the resort, instead he was more interested in playing on the beach and swimming in the pool. Getting on the ship was a relief, it was really relaxing, and I felt 4 days was not long enough. I have to say, if I hadn't have gone to disneyworld, I would have wondered what I missed. I have fond memories of the Poly, but I really enjoyed the cruise more. In fact I have booked a 7 day cruise for next April. I'm addicted to Disney Cruise Line.

Strega7, that is exactly what I am worried about. Although I know the kids would enjoy WDW, I think it will be very overwhelming and exhausting for them. And for me. Can you tell me what specific things there are at WDW for ages 3 and 6? I think Animal Kingdom would be great, but I know they are too young for a lot of the rides, waterpark, etc. And part of me feels like a 4 day cruise is not long enough!!

I know we will have a great time either way...but since we are making this trip the "once in a lifetime" (getting the suite on the ship, deluxe hotel, etc) I want to make sure we are spending our money/time wisely. Not to say that we will never go back to WDW, but the next time we will probably be more budget conscious. Thanks everyone for your valuable insight! :thumbsup2

I am a OCVP (Obsessive Compulsive Vacation Planner). On our first trip to WDW, my youngest were the same ages as your kids. We brought a friend with us so we had three adults with three kids. We were on a Make A Wish trip, so we didn't have to stand in line AT ALL -- (Imagine WDW without lines). And the youngest still got overwhelmed/tired/wanted to go back to the resort and pool. DS4 was still too small to enjoy many of the rides (like Splash Mountain) and was scared by others.

The next trip we planned 8 days at WDW. We relaxed, spent part of the days in the park, more time at the resort, less time trying to see everything, Downtown DIsney one night, mini-golf, etc. It was more relaxing and the kids enjoyed it a lot. Even with lines. My wife reminded me that this is VACATION and that we want to come back relaxed and feeling like we had a break.

DCL means being able to move very easily at the children's pace. They can go to the clubs, swim -- my DS11 thought 11:00 PM swims in the Mickey pool by himself were great, eat when you want without worrying about the fact that they changed their minds and only wanted three fries because they just saw Mickey walk by, etc.

The parks have plenty to do for children. But you will have to be willing to give up going to things that you want to do (Haunted Mansion, Mountain rides, etc.), and work at their pace. I remember the revolt I had in my family because I wanted to see the fireworks after a long day in the park, ouch, that one still smarts.

Every family is different, but I would wait for your children to be older for WDW -- I think early elementary is ideal. And then enjoy the cruise and the relaxing on the ship now (the most stress I saw were the families standing in line for character meets).

Just my opinion,

-- JimV

Jim, I think I have the same disease! We are not going till Oct '07 and here I am planning...thanks so much for your detailed comments. I have still not made a decision. DH wants to do land/sea. :confused3 We would probably stay at the Nickelodeon Holiday Inn because mom in law is coming and we will need a suite. The kids would definitely have fun there! I'm sure whatever we decide, it will be great, and hopefully the lines will not be so long in Oct?? Anyway, thanks again for your reply!!

We did WDW for the first time over Christmas last year, and though we absolutely loved it we were so exhausted after 5 days that the idea of land/sea was born so we could relax on the cruise after the hectic Disney World pace. So we are doing land/sea in January. I vote for that!! (and I love cruising too!!) :love:

On the other hand, I am glad we waited for our first trip to WDW until we didn't need a stroller or have to worry about naps. I know others do it just fine, but for us personally I hate having my schedule dictated by naptime and couldn't imagine pushing a stroller around through the crowds. The stroller issue wouldn't be so bad during a slow time of year, but not during the holidays. I don't know what October crowds are though.

My kids (5.5 and 3) did the land/sea in March and loved both. I know we'll be back, but i can't imagine going to florida without going to WDW for a few days before or after the cruise with kids that age.

Hi just wanted to weigh in with my 2 cents. We did the land/sea last November. Our kids were a little older than yours though...9 1/2 and 13. While we enjoyed ourselves at WDW, everyone felt that 3 days was a bit rushed and WDW is just so big..........we didn't get to go to all the parks and we had sore feet from all the walking at the end of the 3 days. I couldn't imagaine doing 3 days with little ones!! We really enjoyed relaxing on the cruise...........I would definitely vote for a 7 night and leave WDW to another time if you can. Again just my 2 cents worth.

Briege :banana:

I was going to say CRUISE CRUISE CRUISE

Then I saw your children's ages. We did WDW for 8 nights with a 3 & 5 yr old GREAT planned downtime. THEN 8 WITH 7,5,&1; THEN 6 WITH 10,8,3,&1 THEN 8 with 12,10,6&3 THEN 10 with 13,11,7&4

FINALLY WE DID DCL 7 nights with 14,12,8 1/2, 6 (by one day). I'd save the whole cruise a few more years.

MY 2 CENTS!!

Last June we spent 5 days at WDW and did a 4-night Wonder cruise. As we were leaving the park the kids asked if we could do WDW again, even if it was without the cruise. However, after getting off the cruise they said "forget WDW, we just want the cruise." Well, this summer we're doing the 7-night Magic. I'd suggest the cruise.

We chose DCL over WDW because our son was 6. The rides he wanted to do, he wasn't tall enough for. He absolutely loved the cruise and can't wait to go back, of course after this year's trip to WDW. :teeth: :confused3

cassidyprincess said:
Jim, I think I have the same disease! We are not going till Oct '07 and here I am planning...thanks so much for your detailed comments. I have still not made a decision. DH wants to do land/sea. :confused3 We would probably stay at the Nickelodeon Holiday Inn because mom in law is coming and we will need a suite. The kids would definitely have fun there! I'm sure whatever we decide, it will be great, and hopefully the lines will not be so long in Oct?? Anyway, thanks again for your reply!!

Hey there, just wanted to give you my opinion on the parks (Since we are doing our first DCL cruise in Feb. I know you said you would probably stay at the Nick hotel, but I would seriously consider staying at one of the Disney hotels. I know a few of them have enough room to accomodate larger families. The reason I say this is because of the transit system there....Its GREAT! You just go to the bus stations (which are all over the place) and the buses come and take you to the parks and pick you up. You don't have to rent a car unless you wanted to see outside of WDW, but there is so much to do you really wouldn't have too! I have a 3 1/2 yr old and a 1 yr old and my 3 year old LOVES Magic Kingdom. Tons of things for them too do and most of them I can bring the baby on too! Its great staying on the property too because you can catch the bus back to your hotel, take a nap, and go back and see the shows later. We have stayed at Carribean Beach Resort, and Coronado Springs Resort. There is so much information on all the hotels online and there are hotels for most price ranges. Sorry for the lengthy response, but I think your kids would LOVE WDW and as long as you don't try to do everything and take breaks its a great vacation! :cool1:

Hi! Just wanted to say that we have been going to DW since our oldest was 13 months old (well dh and I before that) and love it!! It is that love that prompted us to book our first DCL on Wonder this summer. I would definitely do the parks with them. We are staying at the POP prior to our cruise and are doing our own land/sea package. DW is a truly magical place that the kids will love!!

FLmomof2 said:
Hey there, just wanted to give you my opinion on the parks (Since we are doing our first DCL cruise in Feb. I know you said you would probably stay at the Nick hotel, but I would seriously consider staying at one of the Disney hotels. I know a few of them have enough room to accomodate larger families. The reason I say this is because of the transit system there....Its GREAT! You just go to the bus stations (which are all over the place) and the buses come and take you to the parks and pick you up. You don't have to rent a car unless you wanted to see outside of WDW, but there is so much to do you really wouldn't have too! I have a 3 1/2 yr old and a 1 yr old and my 3 year old LOVES Magic Kingdom. Tons of things for them too do and most of them I can bring the baby on too! Its great staying on the property too because you can catch the bus back to your hotel, take a nap, and go back and see the shows later. We have stayed at Carribean Beach Resort, and Coronado Springs Resort. There is so much information on all the hotels online and there are hotels for most price ranges. Sorry for the lengthy response, but I think your kids would LOVE WDW and as long as you don't try to do everything and take breaks its a great vacation! :cool1:

Thanks for your reply! We were originally going to stay at WDW, but I was having trouble finding a place for 3 adults and 2 kids without getting 2 rooms. I originally fell in love with AKL, but thought the bunk bed room would be just too small for 3 adults and 2 kids. Anyone stayed in one? Some of the other properties that are advertised as Villas (Boardwalk, etc) have 1 bedroom suites but still say they only sleep 4. So that's why I thought the Nick Hotel would be good, but any on property suggestions would be greatly appreciated! This board is great!! :thumbsup2

In regard to staying at the Nick Hotel. We planned on doing the same on the day prior to our Land/Sea package. I went to TripAdvisor.com to read reviews of the hotel and though the kids would have a blast there, there were multiple comments about cleanliness and even bug problems in the rooms. We decided against staying there.

I'm just offering this as something to consider when making your choice.

We ended up reserving the Safari Sheraton on Lake Buena Vista. It is less than 1 mile from Downtown Disney and for a family of 4 the room came to $115 in May. It has a fancy python water slide and very nice pool, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter