• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

7" Android Tablet - anyone?

lucigo

DIS Veteran
I've seen 7" android tablets on ebay for around $100, wondered if anyone has one or has experience with one? Could I expect it to perform like an android phone? Could you read Nook books on it? Does the video camera work well?

Hope someone out there will have an answer for me! :thumbsup2

I don't have experience with any tablet, but DW and I have spent A LOT of time looking into them. I have yet to see any decent tablet (IMHO) for less than an iPAD, or without a 2 year cell contract (no thanks). I believe any Android device can get the apps for the Nook and Kindle, etc.

I read an article recently about "rooting" a Nook, and basically making it a very good Android tablet, but it voids the warranty, can be tricky, etc. I am an IT support tech, and I don't even want to mess with that.

I am holding off until Viso comes out with their 8" Android tablet. They debuted it at the Consumer Electronics Show in Jan, and is supposed to be out in "summer". I think it's going to be called the Via, along with the phone version with the same name.

Sorry, I didn't answer your actual question about experience with tablets on eBay. Don't hate me...

I don't have experience with any tablet, but DW and I have spent A LOT of time looking into them. I have yet to see any decent tablet (IMHO) for less than an iPAD, or without a 2 year cell contract (no thanks). I believe any Android device can get the apps for the Nook and Kindle, etc.

I read an article recently about "rooting" a Nook, and basically making it a very good Android tablet, but it voids the warranty, can be tricky, etc. I am an IT support tech, and I don't even want to mess with that.

I am holding off until Viso comes out with their 8" Android tablet. They debuted it at the Consumer Electronics Show in Jan, and is supposed to be out in "summer". I think it's going to be called the Via, along with the phone version with the same name.

Sorry, I didn't answer your actual question about experience with tablets on eBay. Don't hate me...

Not at all thank you for your answer! So...does this mean that even the $100 android tablets have to have a phone contract? I was hoping to get one with just wifi, like an ipod touch but bigger.

The main thing I would like it for it to run apps and take video clips that you can watch on the tablet. My son is constantly stealing my phone to take videos. (I have a Samsung Captivate.)

The saying goes you get what you pay for. The price of $100 is far less than the retail price of any smartphone/tablet (Andriod or iOS); the pricing can run from $400-$600 or more without some sort of contract that subsidizes the price of the device.

Here are a few articles about cheap tablets:
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/itdojo/are-100-tablets-a-waste-of-money/2389
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2010/10/27/100-tablet-from-maylong-now-at-walgreens/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UvGk_yApiI

Basically these articles say that the $100 tablets are laggy, use old technology, and will be frustrating to use.

NOT the sylvania tablet!
I bought it on Black Friday, because the ad said WITH flash. Which is a BIG FAT LIE! I emailed the company and was told that an upgrade coming in January would allow Flash. Its now April and I am still waiting. The tablet is good for basic web surfing, that is it. It doesn't have access to the google market, instead it uses the slide app market. I feel so cheated. If I was not told the upgrade was coming, i woud have returned it when I could. Now that it is too late I sit here with a $150 paper weight.

I use an iPad but my DD8 uses a Nook Color that is "rooted". While of course, Barnes and Noble says that it will void the warranty, it takes literally less than a minute to restore a Nook to its standard software.

While I love my iPad, the Nook Color is smaller but has an amazingly clear screen. It is the perfect size for a tablet.

I also have a rooted nook color and it wasn't difficult at all to root it. It was around $190 shipped in the recent sale. It does make a very decent WiFi Android tablet.

No video camera though so it doesn't sound like it would meet your needs.

Before I broke down and bought my iPad, I tried one of the 7" Android aPads from ebay. I found the touchscreen to be laggy, and wasn't able to type on it effectively (I was wanting to use it for email and web surfing). This was last year and the one I bought ran about $175. I had to buy a new $30 charger for it within about 2 weeks b/c the one it came with just stopped working. I wouldn't recommend buying one of these through eBay.

First gen iPads have come down in price, so I would just go with one of those if I were in your shoes.

I use an iPad but my DD8 uses a Nook Color that is "rooted". While of course, Barnes and Noble says that it will void the warranty, it takes literally less than a minute to restore a Nook to its standard software.

While I love my iPad, the Nook Color is smaller but has an amazingly clear screen. It is the perfect size for a tablet.

Is that Android 2.2?

It is a nitch device that is very much in its early stages. It does depend on what you want to use it for. The android pads are for the most part multimedia devices. They do not replace a computer but are more in tune to replace an ipod... The software is actually the same software you get on an android phone so sometimes it will do something funky but for the most part it is actually very much worth the money. It is not an ipad and if that is what is expected then spend the big bucks and get an ipad. But if you want something to carry around and watch movies on and read a book on then the android pads are very good for this. Also remember the ipad is a captive screen and multi touch, the android pads are much cheaper and use resistive screens so they are only single touch. You can use a stylus but i just use my finger. I don't have a 7inch, i have a 10.2 inch unit which is the same internals just a larger case. I got the one that had the pad and case w/ keyboard as a set. It wasn't cheap, i paid nearly $200 for it but I do like it. I use it as a multimedia player (movies and books) and it does this well but you also have to remember... And this is a huge caveat... Android is a pretty version of Linux and by nature never really works perfectly (it is in a constant state of maturation). It does what is expected. On the other side of the fence, if you are a gadget freak you can get different OSs, different software and you can do so much with the pad because since it is an open source system the owners have control if they want. You can even write your own version of Android if you want... So you have to decide what you are going to use it for, videos and books then i would go for it. If you want to use it as a computer then maybe not so much. Although it does a nice job at email... They are WiFi only, no 3G built in so you need to be in an open WiFi environment if you want to surf the web. Also remember you need to buy a fairly large micro sd card. It does not really have any internal memory so this is a must. I got a 16gig card from J&R for $25 and it will take up to any size you can find. Do some more research and make sure you know what you are getting into but i do like mine. You may also consider getting a 10in it is the same size as the ipad2 and can actually use the same cases... It is the same size as a hard cover novel and w/o the case about half inch (maybe slightly more) thick. With the keyboard case it is about an inch thick. It gets about 4 hrs of battery life. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. I like mine and would do it again.

I want to thank everyone for your replies, I knew there had to be things I wouldn't find just looking online. I'm leaning toward upgrading the ipod to a 4th gen for my son, but haven't decided for sure. Either way I'm sure we will get what we pay for!

It is a nitch device that is very much in its early stages. It does depend on what you want to use it for. The android pads are for the most part multimedia devices. They do not replace a computer but are more in tune to replace an ipod... The software is actually the same software you get on an android phone so sometimes it will do something funky but for the most part it is actually very much worth the money. It is not an ipad and if that is what is expected then spend the big bucks and get an ipad. But if you want something to carry around and watch movies on and read a book on then the android pads are very good for this. Also remember the ipad is a captive screen and multi touch, the android pads are much cheaper and use resistive screens so they are only single touch. You can use a stylus but i just use my finger. I don't have a 7inch, i have a 10.2 inch unit which is the same internals just a larger case. I got the one that had the pad and case w/ keyboard as a set. It wasn't cheap, i paid nearly $200 for it but I do like it. I use it as a multimedia player (movies and books) and it does this well but you also have to remember... And this is a huge caveat... Android is a pretty version of Linux and by nature never really works perfectly (it is in a constant state of maturation). It does what is expected. On the other side of the fence, if you are a gadget freak you can get different OSs, different software and you can do so much with the pad because since it is an open source system the owners have control if they want. You can even write your own version of Android if you want... So you have to decide what you are going to use it for, videos and books then i would go for it. If you want to use it as a computer then maybe not so much. Although it does a nice job at email... They are WiFi only, no 3G built in so you need to be in an open WiFi environment if you want to surf the web. Also remember you need to buy a fairly large micro sd card. It does not really have any internal memory so this is a must. I got a 16gig card from J&R for $25 and it will take up to any size you can find. Do some more research and make sure you know what you are getting into but i do like mine. You may also consider getting a 10in it is the same size as the ipad2 and can actually use the same cases... It is the same size as a hard cover novel and w/o the case about half inch (maybe slightly more) thick. With the keyboard case it is about an inch thick. It gets about 4 hrs of battery life. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. I like mine and would do it again.

Great job explaining it to tee. That is andriod tablets in nutshell. But the Anus transformer looks like it be awesome. What I like about the andriod tablets to is that don't have get one from a carrier too. That was my main problem with ipad. I need want a carreir just for internet for a tablet.

<snip> ...the Anus transformer looks like it be awesome. <snip>
:scared1:

Gee i don't remember that Transformer from my childhood...

I really like my SuperPad and it works very will. I also have a Toshiba netbook so i use the netbook when i need a small computer and the pad when i want to watch movies.

I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab and I love it. I can read books, check Facebook, check email, use apps. I don't know everything about it yet, but so far so good.

DH has a nook color that he rooted. It's very simple to do, so with you being in IT, you would have no problems rooting it to become an andriod tablet which would then function just like an iPad. More people are rooting their Nooks than aren't these days -- and no monthly fees to pay.

We recently just each got our own iPads, too. Verizon was unloading theirs (original iPads) when the new ones came out. We got them for $299 each which was a bargain! Haven't seen them go anywhere else that cheap. They aren't 3G, so there's no monthly fees attached.

:scared1:

Gee i don't remember that Transformer from my childhood...

I really like my SuperPad and it works very will. I also have a Toshiba netbook so i use the netbook when i need a small computer and the pad when i want to watch movies.

Darn it that was get for typing a respond on my phone at work LOL. I meant was Asus transformer that coming this summer.

I have a rooted nook, and it takes no time at all to unroot and BN would never know. It was extremely easy to use. They are suppose to be upgrading them this month, well worth the money.

I have a rooted nook, and it takes no time at all to unroot and BN would never know. It was extremely easy to use. They are suppose to be upgrading them this month, well worth the money.

Can you tell me what a rooted nook is? What does it do and what are the advantages?

I am looking at the Nook and the Samsung Galaxy Tab. It looks like I can get the Galaxy for $199 with a 2-year contract with Verizon.

I was trying to find a phone that I could read books on as well as access Gmail and the web. I was looking at the Nook when I stumbled upon the Samsung.

I purchased an Android 2.2 with camera 3g and WiFi for $34 at Meritline a couple of weeks ago.

Once I installed an upgrade to the OS, it works great!

I still want an iPad2, but just don't want to give up the money yet.

I can surf the web, check email, Facebook games, Angry Birds, download songs, the works.

I have an Android phone, the Droid X, which this is very similar too. The tablet just doesn't have a telephone number.

You can get Pay As You Go service through Verizon to use the tablet away from the a WiFi connection and the rates aren't too bad.

Can you tell me what a rooted nook is? What does it do and what are the advantages?

I am looking at the Nook and the Samsung Galaxy Tab. It looks like I can get the Galaxy for $199 with a 2-year contract with Verizon.

I was trying to find a phone that I could read books on as well as access Gmail and the web. I was looking at the Nook when I stumbled upon the Samsung.

On facebook there is a page/group Customizing your Nook, they give tons of information. Also YouTube has videos on it.

Rooting a nook opens it's to the complete Android market and opens the capability of the NC with it rooted you can use BN, kobo and kindle app on it to read books, you can also read magazines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter