7/27 Day at Diagon Alley (plus a little bit more)

hopemax

Note to Self:
Went yesterday with my Dad. No EE. We arrived at the parking garage about 7, front of the park about 7:20. They were letting people in, so no line at the gates. Non-EE people are directed to Hollywood, but we knew our first thing of the day was Minion Mayhem so we just checked out the front shop, and then hung out in front of Boulangerie. At 7:50 they removed the EE check, so we scurried over to become a minion.

Very cute show, the pre-show is just as good as a lot of other attractions, very funny. Finished with that, we headed over to Transformers. No wait, but since it was my first time we watched the different screens in the queue line first. Another excellent upgrade to the park. Then we rode the Mummy with no wait. We decided to walk back to London and see if a return time ticket was needed. It wasn't, so we hopped the Hogwarts Express to Hogsmeade. At 9:23 we were standing outside Three Broomsticks, determining if we wanted breakfast. Decided to split an English Breakfast, and afterwards headed for Forbidden Journey, Posted wait was 45 min. But from the time we entered the pre-locker part of the queue, to when we retrieved our stuff from the locker was 40 min. Hopped the train back to London with no wait.

Still no outside queue for Diagon Alley, so in we went. Visited Knockturn Alley first, and so came out back by the bathrooms. At about 11:30 we stuck our head into Florean Fortescue's and the line was extremely short. So we decided to honor our good friend, who loved Harry Potter and ice cream. He passed away last year, but had a motto "dessert first." I bought a sundae with Sticky Toffee and Earl Grey and Lavender. It was good, but the problem was they were so similar in flavor that it was hard to tell them apart. My Dad got the butterbeer and that was wonderful.

Strolled the shops, and then watched Celestina Warbeck. I knew about how they bring a guy from the audience on stage, but I had thought they pre-selected the guy. Which, later in the day, I did see them ask someone. But I guess we were at an early enough show, that there wasn't a pre-selection. My Dad was standing a foot in front of the rest of the audience, by the railing, wearing a Hogwarts shirt, so I knew what would happen. But he didn't. So I recorded a video in one hand with my iPhone, while taking pictures with my camera in the other hand. After the show, we wanted to wait for Tales of Beedle the Bard, but it started raining. Thankfully, not too long, but we decided to head for lunch at the Leaky Cauldron while they were drying off the stage.

Waited probably 15 min to order. I got the Fisherman's Pie, my Dad got the Stew. We also got a Fishy Green Ale, and a chocolate potted cream. They seat you, and bring you your food. We think we liked the feel and decor of the Three Broomsticks better. Being as full as it was, it was hard to look around. So we'll have to see what it's like when things die down. Our entrees were both fabulous. The potted cream has a slightly different texture than what we're used to, so it was different but good. I don't know how to describe the Fishy Green Ale. I liked it, a little sweet, and it was a fairly large cup so I did get tired of it when I got to the end. Tons of "fish eggs" in the bottom. It's one of those things like, butterbeer, that couldn't be anything else that what it is.

While waiting for our food, I noticed that the app said Gringott's wait was down to 90 min. We tried to eat fairly quickly so that we could scurry over there. It was up to 120 by the time we made it, but that was still loads better than the 240 and 220 it was showing when we first arrived in DA, so we got in line. The first 20 min, we moved very quickly. Then the ride needed a reset, so we stopped. It took 1 hour to do the queue before the bag check. One party gets a yellow, WWoHP ticket, leaves the line, puts the bags away, and then gives the TM the ticket and goes in a empty part of the bank lobby so they can spot their party and rejoin the regular line.

After the point where they take your picture, the ride needed resetting again. After that, we were able to move quickly to the boarding area. We were in the front row, of the 2nd car. They were loading both sides of the platform. We had no problems while we were on the ride, everything worked like it was supposed to. The ride is another winner. We did prefer FJ, just because there is so much going on, and the ride mechanism. But this is a solid addition. It's more family friendly. The simulated thrills, are exciting enough for people comfortable with thrill rides, but still tame enough for people or kids who are still "working up" to the bigger stuff. Even with the 2 ride resets, our wait time was 2 hours almost exactly, as posted.

Dumps you into Scribbulus / Wiseacre's Wizarding Supplies. Which was actually where we wanted to be. We didn't want to buy stuff before the ride, so now that was done I bought some parchment, stamp, postcards, and Hogwarts Express ticket. My Dad also bought a Butterbeer shirt. The TM was very knowledgable. We had talked to the woman who checked us out earlier in the day, and she was able to answer the questions my Dad had about the trains for sale (he's a train buff.) Unlike Disney where the CM's selling higher end stuff seem to have no clue about it at all, and can't even tell you the price without looking it up.

We still needed to watch Tales of Beedle the Bard, but I messed up the times, so we ended up doing Ollivanders, and then trying a Fizzy Orange Juice. Loved that. Cinnamon and sugar around the top of the cup, and very refreshing. Tales is fabulous, puppets are wonderful. With that done, we headed out of DA to take pictures of the facade, and with the Knight Bus before heading out of the park. Grabbed some sandwiches at Boulangerie and ate right before we left. That's the thing about Universal food. We find the quality so much better, and not too outrageously priced that even though we knew "home" was only 45 min away, we still choose to eat in the theme park.

So that's our day. Didn't want to be too spoilerish, but give everyone an idea on wait times and what you could accomplish. Get your ice cream early, later there was a much longer queue for Florean's. Otherwise, it's a great area to just hang out.

Sounds like an AMAZING day! Thanks for sharing.

We're going to wait until next August to activate our APs and we're hoping some of the crowds die down a bit before then. :thumbsup2

We'll be there next week. Your post made me feel so much better! We can/will have a good day even if it's crowded.

Great report! Glad to know wait times seem to be down from the crazy 4-6 hour waits the first week!

That sounds like a great day. It really seems now that you can spend a whole day just doing Harry Potter stuff. That will make a lot of people very happy.

My husband and son were there this weekend and were at the gate by 6:45 for early admission. By 8:15 am they had ridden Gringotts three times and had taken Hogwarts Express and were in line for FJ. I was impressed.

quick question:

At 7:50 they removed the EE check, so we scurried over to become a minion.

Does this mean that without the early entry benefit (hotel stay correct?) You can still sometimes get in earlier than posted?

Now that said, i think I saw that the parks are opening earlier this summer, at 8am instead of 9am. Is that separate from the early entry benefit?

When I go in Oct I believe our travel day the times are 9a-8p. If we are in line for 830, is there a chance we are already too late? (that the park is already open)

quick question:

Does this mean that without the early entry benefit (hotel stay correct?) You can still sometimes get in earlier than posted?

Now that said, i think I saw that the parks are opening earlier this summer, at 8am instead of 9am. Is that separate from the early entry benefit?

When I go in Oct I believe our travel day the times are 9a-8p. If we are in line for 830, is there a chance we are already too late? (that the park is already open)

They generally start letting people in about 10 minutes early. Early admission starts an hour earlier that the opening time stated on the calendar.

Thanks for the great post! It supports a theory I think I'm developing around the many things I've read and that is w/o EE, the rest of us should just enjoy the day and the full parks, even DA, but not Gringotts, until later in the afternoon.
It seems that EE is great, but then when the rest come in we see 220, 240 and worse for the one ride. Then it seems to fall back to 150 or less around 1 or 2.
Does that make sense to you guys?

What does the picture look like that like take before getting on the ride? I thought for sure there would be more trip reports with photos , etc but have not seen any.

What an awesome day! We are heading here mid September and we want to do those exact same attractions, so it does sound possible!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Thanks for the great post! It supports a theory I think I'm developing around the many things I've read and that is w/o EE, the rest of us should just enjoy the day and the full parks, even DA, but not Gringotts, until later in the afternoon.
It seems that EE is great, but then when the rest come in we see 220, 240 and worse for the one ride. Then it seems to fall back to 150 or less around 1 or 2.
Does that make sense to you guys?

Exactly. And if we didn't have the rain about 12:30, we would have been able to accomplish the Tales of Beedle the Bard earlier in the day, which would have saved us a lot of time in the afternoon, since after lunch I messed up which one happened on the hour and half hour. Otherwise, we would have been finished with DA about 4:30, which would have left ample time to have gone back out in the Studios to do MIB, Simpsons, ET and Terminator before leaving. Or we could have stayed in IOA a bit longer in the morning, and done Dueling Dragons and even Spiderman, if we were up for the walk before crowds got too big.

If we needed to push to do both parks in one day, I would have started exactly the same: MM, Transformers, Mummy, hop the train to IOA, but skip breakfast and head for FJ or Spiderman and then whatever we wanted to accomplish over in IOA. Train back, grab lunch, watch the shows and shop in DA, then either do Gringotts if the line was good, or go out and do MIB, Simpsons, before returning to do Gringotts even later.

What an awesome day! We are heading here mid September and we want to do those exact same attractions, so it does sound possible!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Heading there around the same time! Hoping for lighter crowds, but not counting on it

My husband and son were there this weekend and were at the gate by 6:45 for early admission. By 8:15 am they had ridden Gringotts three times and had taken Hogwarts Express and were in line for FJ. I was impressed.

They arrived only 15 minutes before early admission and still were able to do that? Did they use singe rider or go through the entire queue?

I don't know how to highlight someone's question but a question was asked about the picture in Gringotts....I thought it was lame. They stand your party against a paneled wall and take the picture. When we looked at our pic that's all it was was us up against a paneled wall. If they would have dubbed in a scene or something that would have been great but they didn't. After that when we rode that ride we told them we didn't want to do the picture

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter