7/18/10 Mickey's Baltic Ballyhoo Part 6

;) Any thoughts on how much we are going to trash the USA by on Saturday.??

3-0 4-0???? :goodvibes

I think a dodgy 2-1 England, our friends across the pond are getting the hang of this football thing....if only they could call it by it's real name:confused3

Did you see the Ambassadors of US & UK have a wager on the match:thumbsup2

From the BBC website:

Diplomats in London and Washington have raised the stakes over Saturday's US-England World Cup clash by wagering a meal over the game's outcome.

The bet was brokered in cables between aides to US Ambassador Louis Susman and UK Ambassador Sir Nigel Sheinwald.

"We will understand if you decline, given the outcome of the last such encounter," a US aide wrote, referring to the US defeat of England in 1950.

A UK aide said Sir Nigel took his steak like that win - "somewhat rare".

'Generous nation'
"Even for such an exceptionally optimistic nation as the United States, I am struck by the confidence with which your ambassador proposes this wager," Martin Longden, press secretary to Sir Nigel, wrote to Philip Breeden of the US embassy in London in an exchange first reported by Politico.com.

"It is testament, I assume, to the generosity of your great nation, since the British ambassador does not anticipate paying out."

Mr Breeden replied: "It is true that our soccer (a fine English word we have kindly preserved for you) history is not as long and illustrious as yours.

"However, as your generals noted during World War II, we have a unique capability for quickly identifying and advancing talent."

British embassy staff, their families and some US acquaintances will be watching the game on a big-screen television at the embassy in Washington.

Roughly one quarter of the embassy staff are American nationals, "so it should make for a lively crowd", an embassy official told the BBC.

"We're not doing anything more grand," the official said. "We'll leave that to the final."

Who cares really as long as it is a good match and the beer is cold:cool1:
Must remember not to drink the scrumpy:scared1:

Paul

DH got his docs today.
Robert there's still hope for you. Maybe the pony is working his way up the coast. :lmao:

I think a dodgy 2-1 England, our friends across the pond are getting the hang of this football thing....if only they could call it by it's real name:confused3

From the BBC website:

Diplomats in London and Washington have raised the stakes over Saturday's US-England World Cup clash by wagering a meal over the game's outcome.

The bet was brokered in cables between aides to US Ambassador Louis Susman and UK Ambassador Sir Nigel Sheinwald.

"We will understand if you decline, given the outcome of the last such encounter," a US aide wrote, referring to the US defeat of England in 1950.

'Generous nation'
"Even for such an exceptionally optimistic nation as the United States, I am struck by the confidence with which your ambassador proposes this wager," Martin Longden, press secretary to Sir Nigel, wrote to Philip Breeden of the US embassy in London in an exchange first reported by Politico.com.

"It is testament, I assume, to the generosity of your great nation, since the British ambassador does not anticipate paying out."

Mr Breeden replied: "It is true that our soccer (a fine English word we have kindly preserved for you) history is not as long and illustrious as yours.

"However, as your generals noted during World War II, we have a unique capability for quickly identifying and advancing talent."

British embassy staff, their families and some US acquaintances will be watching the game on a big-screen television at the embassy in Washington.

Roughly one quarter of the embassy staff are American nationals, "so it should make for a lively crowd", an embassy official told the BBC.

"We're not doing anything more grand," the official said. "We'll leave that to the final."

Paul

Yes saw that in the Metro, We often have a shaky start but as its USA, we should walk it!!!:goodvibes

I seem to remember many of you are at Porters. Was that Friday night? We are booked there with our table mates from the EBPC on Friday at 5.30pm. We are doing the theatre meal before going to see Love Never Dies, so keep an eye out & give us a wave, or vice versa!!!

Have been quite busy and achieved much - currency obtained, FE gifts finished, water etc. bought. Booked eye & river cruise for our friends (although we're going too). Identified a walking tour around Windsor & a walk from Blenheim to Woodstock for lunch.
Party on Saturday for England v. USA, must get back to planning food - beer already bought!

Celestine

That might be something to consider doing on the 30th when we get back to London. :worship: I am giving slight consideration to a Hot Air balloon ride but with them being so weather related, it might not be the best thing to pre-book.:laughing:

In case we need something to do the day we get kicked off would Windsor be a good place to visit? We've never been there. I see you also mentioned Blenheim, would that be better to visit? Yes, we would like to see either Windsor Castle or Blenheim Palace.

Windsor is far easier on public transport as you either need to bus & walk or catch a taxi to get to Blenheim, but the station at Windsor & Eton is in the heart of the town (direct from Waterloo or from Paddington change at Slough). The station was opened in 1897 to mark Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee. As well as the castle there is changing the guard at 11am (daily in July except Sunday) and the walk we plan takes in Eton, the Guildhall, the Royal Mausoleum, Daniels (department store with very good cake selection) a walk through Windsor Great Park, the Thames and plenty of shops. If you have a car, Blenheim is a nice day out, but will be a greater travel from London.

Celestine

On the EBPC in 08 you only got them automatically if you had booked on points. The rep on the ship happened to be our guide when we bought in to DVC so we managed to snag some, but we'll be taking one with us this time

Celestine

On the Med and our last Eastern Carib we found the magnet on our door. Will probably bring them and if we get another, the more the merrier!

We got our docs on Tues. Who knows the logic of how they send them out.

Did anyone ever do the ice bar in London? We want to book it next week if we get good reviews from those that have been. It looks interesting. Just not sure about dinner there or elsewhere.

Anyone ever do the Absolut Ice Bar in London? Is it worth it?

Did anyone ever eat there? Is the food any good or should we eat elsewhere?

Will try to remember to post this question on my office discussion board tomorrow....remind me on Monday if I have not replied with an answer. We have never been and I only drink JD:thumbsup2

Paul

Maryann, we've only done an Icebar in Australia. We did like it and wouldn't mind seeing how another company does the decorating inside and such.
I have to admit, the warm clothing they gave us in Australia looked much better than what it looks on the website for London, Copenhagen or Stockholm. We were also given boots to wear, probably because it's located in a beach town.

I seem to remember many of you are at Porters. Was that Friday night? We are booked there with our table mates from the EBPC on Friday at 5.30pm. We are doing the theatre meal before going to see Love Never Dies, so keep an eye out & give us a wave, or vice versa!!!

Have been quite busy and achieved much - currency obtained, FE gifts finished, water etc. bought. Booked eye & river cruise for our friends (although we're going too). Identified a walking tour around Windsor & a walk from Blenheim to Woodstock for lunch.

Party on Saturday for England v. USA, must get back to planning food - beer already bought!

Celestine
Whoo Hoo:thumbsup2
We'll see you at Porters Friday night, although ours are a little later than yours (6-6:30).

;) Any thoughts on how much we are going to trash the USA by on Saturday.??

3-0 4-0???? :goodvibes

From the BBC website:

'Generous nation'

Paul
Umm, you guys mean soccer, right:confused3
I don't think I know anyone that follows professional soccer...this is professional soccer you're talking about??
I guess I would feel the same as you if it was baseball -that's the sport we follow. Right now everyone is obssessing over a rookie named Strasburg:laughing:
And why the Mets only seem to win at home:rolleyes:

Did anyone ever do the ice bar in London? We want to book it next week if we get good reviews from those that have been. It looks interesting. Just not sure about dinner there or elsewhere.

Never went to any of the ice bars, but we did go to the ice exhibit they had in Orlando (forget the name of the hotel that was next to it-The Palm???). It was huge with ice sculptures and an ice slide, we had fun.
I've read that the ice bars are fun for a short while and then once the novelty wears off people are ready to leave. Haven't heard anything about their food though:confused3

Usually the ice bars have a time limit of either 30 or 45 minutes, depending on local regulations.

Will try to remember to post this question on my office discussion board tomorrow....remind me on Monday if I have not replied with an answer. We have never been and I only drink JD:thumbsup2

Paul

Thanks!

question....
how do we know if our credit card has a chip in it? I've seen quite a bit of talk about it needing a chip if we want to use it in Europe.

question....
how do we know if our credit card has a chip in it? I've seen quite a bit of talk about it needing a chip if we want to use it in Europe.

More than likely US cards do not!

It would have a symbol like a WIFI.

Just double checking ------

I'm preparing fish extender gifts and I count 13 cabins (12 families) on the list. Is that the final count?

question....

More than likely US cards do not!

It would have a symbol like a WIFI.

I think this was in reference to the use of credit cards in the ticket machines in London:confused3

Never heard of anyone having a hard time using their cards in general:confused3
Probably check with my credit card company when I notify them of my trip.

Any one using public transport in Copenhagen or just relying on taxis:confused3

Planning on a trip to Rosenborg Castle after our segway tour and not sure if we should just go with a taxi or look for a local bus schedule.

So, are we the only dumb lugs who didn't realize that our passports needed to be valid 6 months after our sailing has ended? And of course the husband an I have passports that expire about 4 and a half months after we leave the ship!

While I am more than happy to be getting a new photo on my passport, I cannot believe that I overlooked this. And to find out just 4 short weeks before we leave the country is adding more stress on top of stress! I will be finding out later today if this will be a problem for the private excursion in St. Petersburg.

The worst thing is that my husband asked me something about this MONTHS ago, and we checked the passport requirements for all of the countries we are visiting and the most they required was 3 months valid passport after the visit. He doesn't involve himself much in the planning, but I guess when he chimes in with a question or interest in the planning I should just let him go with it!

So, are we the only dumb lugs who didn't realize that our passports needed to be valid 6 months after our sailing has ended? And of course the husband an I have passports that expire about 4 and a half months after we leave the ship!

While I am more than happy to be getting a new photo on my passport, I cannot believe that I overlooked this. And to find out just 4 short weeks before we leave the country is adding more stress on top of stress! I will be finding out later today if this will be a problem for the private excursion in St. Petersburg.

The worst thing is that my husband asked me something about this MONTHS ago, and we checked the passport requirements for all of the countries we are visiting and the most they required was 3 months valid passport after the visit. He doesn't involve himself much in the planning, but I guess when he chimes in with a question or interest in the planning I should just let him go with it!

Well if it makes you feel any better this is a common oversight from what I heard.
Last summer my friend was taking my son and hers to Italy and was surprised when I told her that she needed to make sure her son's passport was far enough from the expiration date to not cause a problem. His was fine, but I guess she had just been lucky in the past as she never checked before and traveled frequently:confused3

Are you putting a rush on the passport? They come quicker now than they used to, but I don't think you want to risk it:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter