7/13 - 7/20/02 Eastern Magic

GoodStepMom

Earning My Ears
Wow! What a great trip we had! Thanks to all the advice we received from DISers, we felt like pros!!

Just a few notes regarding some frequently asked questions to hopefully return the favor of all the advice we were given:

Embarkation: We drove into the port around 10:15am, luggage drop off and parking was a breeze! I waited in line with tickets while DH, DD11, and DD6 walked around terminal. (DD11 found a friend from WVa that she had been emailing within the first 5 min and has formed a lasting relationship with now!) Line took only about 20 min and I was then holding space in line for boarding which began at 12:15 while kids looked at model, watched videos, and watched Donald's antics! Note: we were among the first 20 families in line but by 11:15 the line to board was wrapped all the way around the inside of the terminal.

We ate inside at Topsiders and DH went upstairs at 1:00 to book Palo brunch and I went to spa at 1:15 to book surial. There were no lines at all as we were 15-30 min ahead of time on navigators.

Sail away party is not to be missed! Out of 8 other DISers I "spoke" to here on DIS boards, I only got to meet one since we had left it very informal as to how to "hook" up.

Sea Days: Are the best!!! No shortage of food, kids activities, character signings! DD11 loved "hanging out" with new friends at the lab and had sign out privileges. We managed to keep track of her by imposing 30 min check ins and through pages from the lab when she checked out. DD6 liked the club but preferred their "main events" to their free times. She loved Vivian, one of the Counselors in the club. At the end of the week, DD11 got a hat from the lab and DD6 got a lunch tote with drink holder from the club. Both DDs got a shirt for being part of the "show" on Friday. DD6 brought home Flubber she made, picture frame with complimentary picture of her and Minnie and lots of art from club.

Both girls had their hair braided Mon. am on the ship so that they weren't braided for Sun night's formal pictures. Sign up is on Sun. am and all the times went very fast, be there to sign up at least 15 min early but if you miss them, check back as we only used 45 min. of the 3 hours they allotted for headband cornrows for one and 8 braids on top for the other. Cost $1 a braid or $2 a cornrow.

St. Martin: We got a taxi ($20 one way) to the butterfly farm where we spent about an hour (we should've had the taxi return for us but instead walked/hiked to family side of Orient Beach). We only passed one fully nude man on the walk but the girls didn't notice. We walked all the way to a section called "Bikini Beach" where we rented 2 chairs and an umbrella ($15) and there was a trampoline/slide/float in the water you can buy a pass to use ($10 hr/$15 day) on which an hour was plenty for us as the current was very strong--no snorkeling today. There was also a bunji/trampoline on land ($5/5min) that DD6 loved! There was an outdoor shower and changing rooms there at the bar and taxis qued up to whisk you back to the ship.

St. Thomas: By far our favorite so far (out of Nassau, Freeport, St. Martin, St. Thomas)!! Took a taxi ($30 one way) to Coral World (about $40 entry for entire day in/out) where we spent 2 hours--petted sharks, starfish, beautiful aquariums! Rented a locker and used indoor showers and changing rooms before walking down to Coki Beach (it's RIGHT there this time). Snorkeling here was the best--no current, netted bay, beautiful fish! Rented 2 chairs and umbrella for $15, had our own snorkel gear. Did see a local man spear fish a 3 foot Barricuda here but the local police came to talk to him as it's illegal to spear fish here. Showered and changed back inside Coral World where taxis are qued again to take you back to ship. Note: don't waste money on the cable car excursion as it no longer goes to top of hill just a view back down at the ship. We loved this day and wished it could've been longer!

Castaway Cay: living on deck 1, we were among the first 20 families to disembark and were able to get a hammock under a palm tree where we relaxed and enjoyed watching the view for a few hours. DD6 and I snorkeled out to hidden Mickey which took about an hour (she's a very strong swimmer but fins would've helped!) DD11 and DH went parasailing ($140) which we booked last minute on the island. They had only prebooked one boat for the day and were taking appts as we got off the ship for a second boat. DDs mailed postcards they had bought on the Magic.

Food: We had APL rotation, late seating (7:45) and Godwin and Prudence were our servers (DD6 loved them!!) We were seated at a table for 8 with another family from FL with DDs around our DDs ages. First night was the Animator's Palate "show", Sun morning was our character breakfast, we skipped Parrot Cay on Wed and did pizza and burgers on deck during the sail away from St. Thomas, AP also lit up for us again on the last night. Favorite meal: Palo's Brunch on Thursday (sea day), Salvatore was our server and this was the only time I ate until I was uncomfortable--it was all soooo good! DDs loved room service and the kids mac n cheese and pbj's at dinner, oh yeah - and Scoops where we averaged about 3 visits a day. Godwin found out DD6 loved seafood and did bring her out unseasoned shrimp (same as at Palo's buffet) which wasn't on the menu.

Room: 1060 and our host was Edy, he was quiet but very quick and efficient. Port holes in the room were very close to water and took awhile to get used to. Towel animals were amazing to DDs. Plenty of storage in bathrooms and in room for all four of us. "Fridge" worked fine for cans we brought on if we left them in overnight. We made some of our own drinks in the room but never used our collapsible cooler-Edy provided ice morning, noon, and night. Room service spoiled DDs forever!!

Shows: Loved the first comedian at the Welcome Show and Disney Dreams. DDs liked Hercules and it was neat seeing the pictures of them during the week during their final show. Also saw Lilo and Stitch on board for the first time.

Pools: Very nice between 8 and 10 in the morning before the crowds. Late night party and buffet were great here!

Spa: booked Surial for Mon am. Loved it so much we went back Thurs am after brunch and booked again for that afternoon. Staff remembered our names and room number from the 1st time (I hope that doesn't mean we stood out or did something unusual!!) Loved the chairs in the RainForest room where they let you wait before going in to private steam room. This "treatment" is everything everyone has said so I'll leave it there...

Favorite spot on board: Deck 4 lounge chairs.

Souvenirs: Out of all the money we spent on them, DDs favorite are the postcards from the room they got signed by Capt Henry, servers, host, and counselors!! (Go figure!) They also loved that all the characters on board signed their shirts we bought and then turned in to guest services (I took multi colored Sharpies for this). My favorite souvenir is the blue and white striped DCL bag from Treasure's Ketch that saved me poolside on board and on each island! Also loved the straw hat that kept control of my humidity puffed hair!!

Disembarkation: Magical! This far surpassed our experience on RCCL! Just showed KTTW and picture id and we were done. The porter took all of our bags AND our carryons right to the car (tipped him $20 for 8 bags)!!

We met relatives at the Tiki Bar at Port B for breakfast and waved a final, tearful (on my part) farewell to the ship!

This was the best vacation I have ever been on with or without kids and I can't wait to return!! (Next time we'll get a verandah and try some of the adult tours onboard-something to look forward to!)

GoodStepMom,

This is a great review. We leave on 8/24 for the 7 day Eastern and I can't wait. It will be me, DH and DS9. It sounds like the kids had a good time too! My son is a social person so I think he will have no problems in the clubs.

Thanks for the great post.

Patti:Pinkbounc

Hey Goodstepmom!

Sorry we didn't get to meet. I did meet Stacey and Gina. I was supposed to meet Lisa in the ESPN Skybox after the sail away but I guess we got our singlas messed up.

We all had a great time also. You probably saw one or another of us in our "Look Out" t shirts!

We ate in Palo's on Tuesday night, Vlado was our server and everything was divine!!!

All of the kids in our group loved absolutely everything. Most of us were on deck 2. My cousin had one of the "noisy" rooms, but she said it wasn't bad at all!

Rich Purpura, the comedian you mentioned is a blast. I actually saw him several times on NCL. We went over to talk to him after the show, he signed a video for me after the last NCL trip. He was with them 23 years, and now he is with Disney exclusively from what I gathered. Went to see him at the "adult" evening show also.

I have some really great pictures and lots of stories and if I can ever figure out how to attach them, maybe I will get some on here!

Lin

Hi Lin! I'm glad your "crew" had a great time!! I actually saw you twice, once taking a group picture the first day and later at a "private" party. I tried to get your attention but you guys were having a blast!

I'd love to see your pictures and read your trip report when you get them ready!!

I met Stacey at the sail away party (she spotted our leis!) but couldn't find anyone else! Tiffany and new husband didn't wear their "ears" so I never found them!

Well, back to finishing the laundry....

Gina

It sounds like you had a wonderful time -just a quick question.... you said you had late seating at 7:45... did the time for late seating change? We were on the 7 day Eastern in April and had late seating at 8:30 p.m. which was a little late for ds.....

DANDD-Disney changed the dining times for some Magic cruises this summer as a test. We were pleased with 7:45 dining but 6:00 show was still rushed to get to (missed a couple--too much to do all the time, what a hard life!!!) Not sure what people thought of early dining at 5:30 though...

Lin-Got your PM. It's okay, I knew what you meant! I saw you guys posing on deck 3 for your group picture...looked great!

Hi Gina!

I have to agree....the 7/13/02 Eastern cruise had to have been the vacation of our lifetime! For those of you who do not know me from the various boards, I happen to be the mother of Gina's daughter's internet friend. Gina & I "met" on the boards, and our girls hooked up online before the cruise, and spent every possible moment together on the cruise and are now "talking" almost daily thanks to modern technology.....thank goodnes the net doesn't have long distance charges!! :Pinkbounc

Hubby & I are still having a hard time putting into words how we truly feel about our cruise experience. It was just so awesome! I would have to say one of our very favorite things we did while on the cruise was our "Snuba" excursion on St. Thomas. This wasn't a Disney sponsored excursion, but we feel it should be. With this excursion was also a pass to Coral World included in the very reasonable fee.

We were quite disappointed in St. Maarten, but from what we've been told....people either love it or hate it. Next time, we'll definitely skip it, and maybe just hang out close to the port.

Hubby and I definitely got to spend some much needed quality time together since the kids are always on the run doing their "club things". Hubby says the Surial Bath was a definite highlight for him! :p

Not much of a detailed report, but if anyone has any questions, feel free to let me know! I'd be more than happy to answer them.:cool:

Reading your report took me back to our June 15th cruise. We also had Godwin for our server. He was great with the kids (we were a party of 13 with 5 kids). I wish I was on the Magic now. Oh well, April 27 is coming for the Wonder. Nasi

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter