6th Annual Christmas Thread

Can anyone help me brainstorm some ideas for my dad's girlfriend? We are exchanging gifts at Thanksgiving so I need to get a move on. Here is what I know about her:

She's about 55-60ish. Likes photography and travel. Is very budget oriented and never buys anything without a coupon. Long story short she has kind of a Hoarders situation going on in her house (so I hesitate to get her candles or anything else I'd normally get someone I don't know very well).

Last year I got her a coffee table type book with pictures of travel places, kind of combining her loves of travel and photography. My only idea this year is maybe a nice coupon organizer from Etsy, but I am open for any suggestions!

Given the hoarding issue, Id be hesitant to get her any kind of "stuff".
Given the thriftiness, my suggestion would be for a gift certificate for some sort of pampering, maybe? a Mani/pedi, or a massage, a restaurant or even maybe for a groupon type site? This way she will be able to do something for herself that she might not otherwise spend money on, have a nice little experience, and not have any clutter as a result? That's my best advice. I am in general working towards experience gifts rather than stuff this year.

I finally got the Hollister stuff I ordered and some of it has to go back as it's the wrong size.

I put some puzzles, 2 Leappad games, 2 Dreamlites, and a Spirograph in layaway today.

Does anyone have the Leappad Ultra? I am thinking of getting it for my 4 year old. It's expensive at 150 bucks, but I have 2 kids that would use it.

We leave for Disney Saturday morning so I am trying not to spend anymore money right now. But..... American Girl has there free shipping, so..... Lol, I will probably place my order next week when we get back.

When does everyone decorate? I can't wait. I bought some of the 8.00 figurine sets from the disney store and I am turning them into ornaments. Cute Disney ornaments for about a buck a piece. I love bargains!!!

My 2 year old loves her baby dolls (which I love because my 6 year old has never cared for them). I think bitty babies and the bitty twins are adorable but what is so special about them? Are they worth that money, especially at 2? Lol

When does everyone decorate? I can't wait. I bought some of the 8.00 figurine sets from the disney store and I am turning them into ornaments. Cute Disney ornaments for about a buck a piece. I love bargains!!!

Since we leave on November 30th this year for WDW, I plan to start decorating as soon as Halloween is over. I do A LOT of decorating, so I'll have the inside done by the weekend before Thanksgiving (DD has a part in the holiday show for her dance school that weekend) and then on Thanksgiving Day, we will decorate the tree while we watch the Macy's parade and then head to my in-laws for dinner around 3:00. We will wait and put out the outside Cmas decorations when we get home from Disney the first weekend of Dec.

My 2 year old loves her baby dolls (which I love because my 6 year old has never cared for them). I think bitty babies and the bitty twins are adorable but what is so special about them? Are they worth that money, especially at 2? Lol

At 2, I would say no. My DD did not get (nor did she ever ask for) her first AG doll until she was 8. She takes very good care of them. I'd say at the age of 2, there are other babies out there that would be just fine. They won't know the difference and trust me, when they figure it out and want ONLY AG stuff, your wallet will be sad!

I finally got the Hollister stuff I ordered and some of it has to go back as it's the wrong size.

I put some puzzles, 2 Leappad games, 2 Dreamlites, and a Spirograph in layaway today.

Does anyone have the Leappad Ultra? I am thinking of getting it for my 4 year old. It's expensive at 150 bucks, but I have 2 kids that would use it.

We leave for Disney Saturday morning so I am trying not to spend anymore money right now. But..... American Girl has there free shipping, so..... Lol, I will probably place my order next week when we get back.

I hear ya! We are trying to watch money after our recent vacation but I HAVE to place our AG order soon. I'm almost done shopping for my dd11! She is always the most difficult to shop for and this year she is the easiest!

I don't start decorating until the day after Thanksgiving. My middle child has a November birthday so we're busy celebrating. My mom however starts right after Halloween. She loves decorating.

At 2, I would say no. My DD did not get (nor did she ever ask for) her first AG doll until she was 8. She takes very good care of them. I'd say at the age of 2, there are other babies out there that would be just fine. They won't know the difference and trust me, when they figure it out and want ONLY AG stuff, your wallet will be sad!

Thanks! That's how I feel! She has no clue where her babies are from. Her favorites are actually ones that were purchased for her sister.

We decorate the day after Thanksgiving usually. This year we will have out of town guests in for Thanksgiving and we are opening gifts while they're here, so I definitely want to get the tree up in time for that!

Next on my list is a Rainbow Loom for DD and Toy Story toys for DS. They've recently become obsessed with the Halloween special Toy Story of Terror and now all he wants is TS toys!

We used to decorate on Thanksgiving weekend...putting the lights up on the house the Saturday before Tday...but not turning them on, of course until Thanksgiving is 'over'. The last few years we have went to Disney the full week before Thanksgiving, so we have been decorating the inside of the house before we go...this year, we have so many weekends full of travel and other things that I may just put it up when we get home...

Jumping in to join y'all. I'm not nearly as organized as most of you. I'm hoping y'all will rub off on me and get me more motivated. I'm one that ends up completely stressed out the week before Christmas trying to buy stuff for in laws and stockings. The big stuff for kids I can handle. It's the little things and stuff for the older people that drives me crazy.

Jumping in to join y'all. I'm not nearly as organized as most of you. I'm hoping y'all will rub off on me and get me more motivated. I'm one that ends up completely stressed out the week before Christmas trying to buy stuff for in laws and stockings. The big stuff for kids I can handle. It's the little things and stuff for the older people that drives me crazy.

Amy I am the same way! This year we said no presents unless they are under 18! That means I am only shopping for 8 and 2 of those are my own kids. So much less stress and it makes my checking account happier :)

My youngest DD (she turns 2 Jan 25) will be getting the bitty twins for Christmas! She saw the catalog when her older sister was looking and and squealed and kept saying mine, mine peaze (please). Lol

My daughter will be 2 on Feb 15, I considered the itty bitty baby for her but decided to wait for next year. But now that I am looking for a cheaper doll (she's getting a crib) I can't find one I like. But, she's basically done so I still won't do the doll, since when I get it, I want to get matching outfits and the whole deal.

Amy I am the same way! This year we said no presents unless they are under 18! That means I am only shopping for 8 and 2 of those are my own kids. So much less stress and it makes my checking account happier :)

How did you do this? Did you tell the grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc? I'm so afraid they are going to think I'm being a Scrooge!

:welcome: Glad you are joining in!! And just FYI,...for those of you looking for Bitty Twins~I have a set ( and some bigger AG's)that my dd doesn't want anymore and we are looking for a new home for them! If you know anyone who would be interested in contacting me, PM me please!! I would love to know that they are moving on and to a home where a little girl would love them!

How did you do this? Did you tell the grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc? I'm so afraid they are going to think I'm being a Scrooge!

Actually my mom suggested it! My brother and his gf complain every year about no money, stress and no money. We have a trip planned for late January to Disney (with my parents) and we thought this would be a great way to help offset the cost of the trips. Below is the email I sent to my MIL and my husbands brothers family:

Hello Ladies,

Just wanted to run something by both of you for Christmas. Since everyone has such a hard time shopping for the adults how about we do kids only this year? This should allow everyone to spend more time enjoying the holiday season and less fighting crowds.

Let me know what you think.

Have a good day

Still haven't heard from my MIL(shocker!) but everyone else is onboard with the idea :)

Bought today DH 2 more pairs of jeans, DS underwear for his stocking and an accessory pack to go with his PS Vita he has asked for. Getting near the end. Mainly gift cards and DS' Vita. Do need to place an order with Amazon next week after I get paid. Tree going up next weekend because I am off Thursday and Friday.

I did the Furby deal at Target today so that took care of three gifts for my kids. Dragging my heels on placing my AG order. But I'm almost done with my kids. Now I just need to work on our parents. I'm on target to be done by Thanksgiving.

Regards to spending, we tried getting my in laws to spend less. We told them we were spending less on them and they said you do what you want and we will too. My dh feels guilty about how much they spend so we end up spending $300 on them. Seems kind of ridiculous to spend that much money on adults.

I've seen a lot of people mentioning buying the rainbow loom. I am thinking of getting this for my two nieces ages 6 and 9 to share. Is this a hot ticket item this year? My dd is only 2 so I have no idea!

I've seen a lot of people mentioning buying the rainbow loom. I am thinking of getting this for my two nieces ages 6 and 9 to share. Is this a hot ticket item this year? My dd is only 2 so I have no idea!

I personally would get them each their own. I don't see sharing it going over very well. My DD and all her friends each have their own and it keeps them busy for hours!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter