6th Annual Christmas Thread

..but I know people who make lists for their parents and they are grown with children! That always shocks me! LOL!! Maybe it's just because we werent raised that way... To each his own I guess!![/QUOTE]

Um, confession time. I am one of those grown ups that makes a list for her parents and I'm 40 and married with a kid! In my own defense, my mom asks for a list from us (my brother too). Now, the lists aren't huge and we don't always get what we ask for, but she knows I always want/need new workout clothes and she likes to know brand & sizes (same for my brother. He's military and always gets new sneakers for PT). This spring we plan to tear down our wrap around porch and redo the whole thing so DH and I will likely get a family gift of a Lowe's gift card for a couple hundred bucks :)

Well I finally started my Christmas shopping:santa:. The seal has been broken.;)
I bought Disney Infinity for ds9 this morning. I also bought him 3 of the character sets and a stand alone Jack Skellington that came out today. Grand total was over $200. However, I will be farming the character sets out to grandparents because they are always looking for ideas and would much rather I shopped and they just reimbursed me. So I really only spent $80 or so on the starter pack.
I still would like to get him the Wreck it Ralph characters when they come out as that is his favorite Disney movie.
I haven't ordered my parents Adirondack chairs yet but my sister and I decided on the ones from Costco, so that's at least in the works.

An update to this post. My lab puppy got my wallet off the end table (note to self.. lab puppy now tall enough to reach top of end table) and I found it by his food dish. Wallet and contents unharmed. However the receipt for the items I purchased the other day for grandparents to reimburse was chewed to tiny tiny pieces. :scared: . It was sticking out of the top of the wallet I guess.
This stinks because I had planned to return the items if they went on sale anywhere and because I bought the insurance on the game so we could replace it if it is scratched or anything. Gah. Pet ownership is bad for the budget. Puppy gets coal for Christmas. Actually he would chew that too.. he gets nothing.:rotfl2:

..but I know people who make lists for their parents and they are grown with children! That always shocks me! LOL!! Maybe it's just because we werent raised that way... To each his own I guess!!

Um, confession time. I am one of those grown ups that makes a list for her parents and I'm 40 and married with a kid! In my own defense, my mom asks for a list from us (my brother too). Now, the lists aren't huge and we don't always get what we ask for, but she knows I always want/need new workout clothes and she likes to know brand & sizes (same for my brother. He's military and always gets new sneakers for PT). This spring we plan to tear down our wrap around porch and redo the whole thing so DH and I will likely get a family gift of a Lowe's gift card for a couple hundred bucks :)[/QUOTE]

Well... I meant more of a list like a kid would do!:lmao: My mom asks us for what we want too..but I was talking about people who expect things from their parents like they would if they were still at home...not a list of 'what-do-yall-need',or what does your family want this year.... I thought what I was trying to say was clear, but I guess I didn't explain it! Hope I didn't offend you!:hug:

Confessing too. I do the same, at her request. I finally got a list out of her this year, for which I am very thankful!! I would much rather get her something she wants rather than guessing since I don't see her every day to know what she already has and the same for me.

Best of luck to you guys. You're right, you have to put your kids first and whoever doesn't understand can get over it. This is the part I dislike about the holidays - other people's expectations. Whether it's around gifts, how much you spent, where you are spending your holidays and with who or crazy traditions that people cannot let go of - some people will be offended no matter what.

Can you tell I have some frustrating relatives? :rotfl2:

Ugh, I understand. They'll expect us to host Thanksgiving AND Christmas dinner too. Last year we asked MIL to bring over some dish soap because I ran out and only had it for the dishwasher and she brought over a little container that she had poured enough soap into to wash one sink of dishes. We prepared an entire meal and she couldn't bring enough dish soap to wash the pans! We're going to cut that back this year, too, I think we'll only do Thanksgiving. In their defense, it's because our house is bigger and we have 5 kids, but I would be less upset about it if they could bring a side dish or help clean up or something! They seriously show up (usually late), eat, then leave.

Ugh, I understand. They'll expect us to host Thanksgiving AND Christmas dinner too. Last year we asked MIL to bring over some dish soap because I ran out and only had it for the dishwasher and she brought over a little container that she had poured enough soap into to wash one sink of dishes. We prepared an entire meal and she couldn't bring enough dish soap to wash the pans! We're going to cut that back this year, too, I think we'll only do Thanksgiving. In their defense, it's because our house is bigger and we have 5 kids, but I would be less upset about it if they could bring a side dish or help clean up or something! They seriously show up (usually late), eat, then leave.
That is rude! I would hope they would contribute.

Sometimes you just have to shake your head and wonder.

I always did lists for my mom because she wanted one. They also were not stuff that I "needed" but things I "wanted"... and I usually got most of what was on there. She would also use that list to tell my grandmother and father what I wanted.

So, I need some help. I need inexpensive (less then $10) small gift ideas for 2 of my nephews. I need to get the number of gifts a bit more even between 4 of them because they are siblings and live together. Better to keep the number of gifts even so that no one thinks I am playing favorites. Got to love family politics!

I would like them to be small games or puzzles. I got the oldest boy a pack of Uno cards. The other two are 5 and 8. Any suggestions?

I'm really having a hard time coming up with gifts for family and friends. Maybe some more experienced Christmas shoppers can help!

First where can I buy a nice set of queen sheets that will actually still be nice after after a year? This is for an adult couple (age 50)

What to get for a person who loves to cook besides a cook book? I'm thinking of getting that Ninja blender. Any other advice

Then I have several kids in the family ranging in age 8 months (Girl), 1.5 years (Boy), 8 years old(Girl), 12 years old (girl), 16/17 (girl)

First where can I buy a nice set of queen sheets that will actually still be nice after after a year? This is for an adult couple (age 50)

For the past 2 years I've purchased 600 tc sheets at Walmart on Black Friday for $19.99. I've given them as gifts as well. They usually come in several neutral tones.

I'm really having a hard time coming up with gifts for family and friends. Maybe some more experienced Christmas shoppers can help!

What to get for a person who loves to cook besides a cook book? I'm thinking of getting that Ninja blender. Any other advice

Then I have several kids in the family ranging in age 8 months (Girl), 1.5 years (Boy), 8 years old(Girl), 12 years old (girl), 16/17 (girl)

As the sheet question was answered (mental note for me as well!), I'll move on to the others. For the cook, the Ninja blender is great. A good crockpot is awesome, as is a nice Le Creuset dutch oven or nice Calphalon pans. You can also think of smaller things like a silicon turner, tumble trivets (awesome stocking stuffers and conversation piece), whisk and nice olive oils and vinegars.

For the 8 mos old: clothes for older (think 18 mos); books, particularly board books like Brown Bear, Dear Zoo, Where's Spot?, I am a Bunny, Goodnight Gorilla, Sandra Boynton ones; toys but she is likely getting some of those; needs like toddler silverware and bowls and plates (Ikea has these for dirt cheap).

1.5YO: books again (same as above and might go to things like regular ones -- Great one to start with is Mo Willems' Pigeon Wants a Puppy, which was a big hit with both of mine by 18 mos); Elmo, Caillou, etc. DVDs; clothes; toys like balls or ride-on toys

8YO girl: depends more on what she is into now. Books and movies that might pique her interest (Geronimo Stilton? Ivy & Bean?); craft stuff is always a good one like the Enchanted Storybook, make your own headbands or Rainbow Loom.

12YO girl: again going to be personal interest driven. Books and movies as well. Also consider something like a magazine subscription. Rolls of duct tape and a duct tape craft book. Rainbow Loom. GCs can also be good here.

16/17YO girl: I'd probably just stick with GCs of some sort unless you really know what she likes. iTunes, Amazon, Target or ones to favorite stores of hers.

I like to cook. I always have cookie sheets on my list.

So, I need some help. I need inexpensive (less then $10) small gift ideas for 2 of my nephews. I need to get the number of gifts a bit more even between 4 of them because they are siblings and live together. Better to keep the number of gifts even so that no one thinks I am playing favorites. Got to love family politics!

I would like them to be small games or puzzles. I got the oldest boy a pack of Uno cards. The other two are 5 and 8. Any suggestions?

Here are some of the small games we have my dses like
Uno
Pass The Pigs
travel connect 4
peg game from Cracker Barrel

Macy's

I love to cook and I love any gift that has to do with it. For me a Cookbook would be great, they are the only real books I have now that I use my Kindle and nook for reading. I love the boxed sets.
Other things that would be nice: gourmet spice blends, pepper mill, cedar planks, window herb garden, any neat gadget, apron, conversion magnet, nice casserole dish. My favorite kitchen gifts have been my Le Creuset pieces. They are expensive but they last forever and are worth the price. You can find their stoneware bakers at places like TJ Maxx or Marshalls reasonably priced. The French Ovens there are usually 2nds so you have to look to make sure there isn't a huge defect.

I always like to give babies books, even books that they aren't ready for but to be put away for their collection. I love the Kohls Cares ones because you can get a book for the future, and a stuffed animal for now. Each is only $5.
For the 8 and 12 year old girl, a craft kit. There are so many different types to choose from. Pretty much every tween/teen around here has an iphone or an ipod so an itunes card is always good. Maybe some BBW stuff.
For the 16/17- BBW stuff, a gas card if they have a car.
Its not super exciting but at that age cash is great.

Does anyone know what stores might have Christmas wrapping, boxes, and bags out already? Besides Sams and Costco (I have no access to them). Thanks!

Target had some Christmas stuff out but I am not positive that included wrapping stuff. The Dollar Tree almost always has their stuff out by now.

If anyone is doing DS games for Christmas, I stumbled upon gamestop.com's deal- buy 2 used DS games, get 1 free. I paid $30 shipped for 3 DS games for my almost 6 year old daughter. We have one DS but her brother uses it almost exclusively, so we're getting her her own DS plus some "girly" games. Used DS games don't bother me at all, they are hard to break!

Does anyone know what stores might have Christmas wrapping, boxes, and bags out already? Besides Sams and Costco (I have no access to them). Thanks!

I was at Walmart yesterday- everything out.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Hobby Lobby does! Especially bows and ribbon!

I just got back from the Dollar Tree and they do indeed have their xmas paper out. Instead of writing names on all the kids' gifts, I get them each their own paper so we know whose is whose without messing with gift tags. I just bought princesses for DD and Monsters U for DS.

Thank you all so much. Walmart was setting their shelves so I was in there picking stuff out as they were putting it up. Got everything I needed to get this done! It might be tomorrow before I get started because I have other things that need to be done today.

Hi! Joining the fun :) I work retail full time and the last two years hubby has been working a part time job that slows waaaayy down in November/December. So. I try to have all Christmas shopping done by end of October for my sanity.

I buy for our two girls first. We usually get gifts for my parents, grandparents and uncle, plus my mil/fil and SIL. With my two brothers and sister plus spouses, we usually just make a baked good and do a goodie swap. Hubby and I usually just do stockings for each other.

DD1 (9.5) & DD2 (7)

Santa:
A puzzle for each
Lil Miss Matched socks ( 3 in an ornament ball and 1 pair separate) Great deal at Tuesday Morning!
Hanna Andersson red/white striped dress ( to wear Christmas day with the Miss Matched knee socks with presents/reindeer in them)
A rug for each for their room ( need to get at Target)
A Nemo projector night light for DD7 and a constellation one for DD9.5 ( Target)
A shirt each--cheetah for DD1 and glitter cat for DD2
Disney Infinity Girl pack-- to purchase when it cones out with Venellope, Rapunzel and Violet
Need a few books/toy-ish things
From Mom and Dad: a red Gymboree cardigan and hairbow and tights, a book each, socks/underwear, ( something to wear, read, need) and for "want" probably a travel DVD player and a few new DVDs. Planning a Disney trip on the summer, and the girls love movies. We drive and are about 7/8 hours away. I know they'll also love having a "personal" player for their DVDs, because we only have a TV in my room and the living room.

For SIL I have a Vera Bradley lanyard ( she is a teacher) and a VIctoria's Secret gc.

For MIL/FIL, mom/dad, grandparents and uncle I am thinking a live wreath/ Omaha Steaks box ( if I can get a deal). If I can get both a wreath and steak box for under $70 per couple, that's what I'll do. For my uncle, only the box, because he lives with my grandparents. Thoughts? And recommendations on best wreaths? When to send? Parents/ grandparents/ uncle live in town, mil/ fil live about two hours away. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter