6th Annual Christmas Thread

I just have to vent for a moment. I have a son who LOVES the Octonauts. Last Christmas, I ended up ordering from the UK (via Amazon) 2 items so he would have something because they launched the show and FP didn't bring any merchandise over to the US until spring of this year. So now we have some merchandise but the US is still way behind the UK in terms of merchandise. I want to get a certain puzzle (65 pieces -- he's great at puzzles so needs a challenge) -- yeah, UK again. Card game? UK. Gup X? UK. ARGH! I am AMAZED that the merchandising in the US is just not keeping up. The stuff seems to disappear from the store shelves fast enough.

Anyway, on other non-venting fronts, debating something and I'd like your opinion. DD just got into dance and loves it. She also is keen to play music but we are waiting so she's not (and we're not) overwhelmed with activities (she is also in swimming -- safety thing). She is particularly interested in the flute. I thought a nice compromise might be getting her a recorder (a whopping $5!!!) and a little book to self-teach if she is interested. MIL thinks that might be too much for DD and says to just let the main gift be a tablet and that's it, to save the recorder for Easter or her summer bday. I'm not so sure as she is interested in music and I'd like to foster that. Plus the price is right to be an easy sub-gift but look big. Her main gift will be a DS or tablet and right now we just have a couple books, PJs, ball popper and small box of kinetic sand. Thoughts?

We are a family that loves music so I never need a special occasion to do something for that. I say go ahead and give her the recorder for Christmas, I don't think that is something that needs to wait.

Nobody shop over the weekend?

I did, I got my dd finished! I ordered her an iphone and a case, so that combined with the few other things I already got will be her Christmas gifts.

I have been window shopping for my dses to get an idea of prices on riding gear, so they'll get that and I'm going to get them each a camera for their helmets. That stuff will be their "big" gifts. I'm going to take them to a place this week to get their sizes and I'll just order the stuff online because it will be much cheaper. Then, I'm just waiting for the 12 months Xbox Live card deals, and TRU's video game sale and they will be done.
I can't believe that this year neither of them asked for any Lego sets. I did get the newest Minecraft ones, but they weren't something that was asked for.

I decided I'm going to get dh a nice Carhartt jacket because he doesn't really have something to wear when he works outside in cold weather.

Even though I didn't get alot, I feel like I am making progress. Usually by this time I'm halfway done and I'm not even close. :(

I did, I got my dd finished! I ordered her an iphone and a case, so that combined with the few other things I already got will be her Christmas gifts.

I have been window shopping for my dses to get an idea of prices on riding gear, so they'll get that and I'm going to get them each a camera for their helmets. That stuff will be their "big" gifts. I'm going to take them to a place this week to get their sizes and I'll just order the stuff online because it will be much cheaper. Then, I'm just waiting for the 12 months Xbox Live card deals, and TRU's video game sale and they will be done.
I can't believe that this year neither of them asked for any Lego sets. I did get the newest Minecraft ones, but they weren't something that was asked for.

I decided I'm going to get dh a nice Carhartt jacket because he doesn't really have something to wear when he works outside in cold weather.

Even though I didn't get alot, I feel like I am making progress. Usually by this time I'm halfway done and I'm not even close. :(

Good for you!! I didn't shop~but I priced things!:rotfl2: We are getting serious about the NYC trip for Christmas~I did some pricing for hotels and airfare yesterday.... I will still get them a few things to open that will be under the tree when we get home~~but I need to narrow down $$$$ for the trip to get an idea and see if this is what we do...I am usually completely finished and things are all wrapped by now, waiting on a tree to live under:crazy2: And what is so nuts, is it isnt even bothering me this time! How weird!

I bought DNiece the Little People dollhouse yesterday. I planned on getting her the barn, but decided she might like the dollhouse better. It was $5 cheaper than I'd seen it before. Not a great deal, but better than regular price.

TRUS video sale buy 1 get one 40% started today. I ordered the two I needed. One I will but back for my DS birthday.

Good for you!! I didn't shop~but I priced things!:rotfl2: We are getting serious about the NYC trip for Christmas~I did some pricing for hotels and airfare yesterday.... I will still get them a few things to open that will be under the tree when we get home~~but I need to narrow down $$$$ for the trip to get an idea and see if this is what we do...I am usually completely finished and things are all wrapped by now, waiting on a tree to live under:crazy2: And what is so nuts, is it isnt even bothering me this time! How weird!

I'm not a big NYC person but I do love it at Christmas time! Its really kind of magical there, you guys will love it! I can't help with prices since we usually just take the train down for the day. We once stayed at the New York Palace hotel and had a beautiful view of St. Patrick's Cathedral. It was on the pricey side but it was an American Girl package for dd's birthday so we did that instead of a big party.
Have you tried Groupon getaways, Living Social and sites like that? I've seen specials for hotels in NYC on them before.

TRUS video sale buy 1 get one 40% started today. I ordered the two I needed. One I will but back for my DS birthday.

Thanks so much for the info, I'm going to check the website to see if the games my dses want are on there. The more shopping I can get done in my PJs the better :thumbsup2

I did pick up a copy of the Official Walt Disney World Guide 2014 for my aunt. I may send it now though instead of waiting for Christmas. Not sure yet.

so for all of you shopping now....what r the return policys on the items you are getting? i am afraid to buy something and have it not work and it not be returnable.

I preordered DD an Ever After doll-- the Evil Queen's daughter. I also found a cheaper kids tablet than an nabi2, and I'm seriously considering getting them each one of those.

I also decided on the home and garden brand "scentsy" candles for my aunt. I got a pack of the wax to try, and I love the smell better than my scentsy!

I picked up a tv stand for my Brother at Target today. Regular price $179.99, on clearance 70% off for $53!!! I also had a $5 coupon and my bonus pharmacy extra 5% off. This will be for his Birthday and Christmas, so he is done!!

My Target has lots of great clearance right now! I also picked up some bath toys for 50% off, but the kids might get them before Christmas :)

My sister-in-law gave me ideas for 3 of nephews so I now need to pick up tractors, pj's, jeans, and a DS or refurbished iPod. I tend to buy my neices and nephews a lot at Christmas since I don't buy them a birthday gift. I have too many and can't remember all of their birthday's along with my kids'. I know that sounds bad. I love them all dearly but they all live in several different states and I haven't seen them in a few years. So it is easier for me to send gifts one time a year.

I still need to figure out what to buy for the rest of them along with my siblings, parents, and grand parents. I am so far behind this year. The older my kids get the more busy we seem to be. I took Friday off and I hope to get some shopping done then.

I preordered DD an Ever After doll-- the Evil Queen's daughter. I also found a cheaper kids tablet than an nabi2, and I'm seriously considering getting them each one of those. I also decided on the home and garden brand "scentsy" candles for my aunt. I got a pack of the wax to try, and I love the smell better than my scentsy!

We bought the Nabi jr. It is a great little tablet, and I think the Nabi 2 is even better. It is compatible with the amazon App Store, works like a charm. It is very sturdy, And the price is great. I would recommend it to anyone.

so for all of you shopping now....what r the return policys on the items you are getting? i am afraid to buy something and have it not work and it not be returnable.

Stuff like that I hold off on. But a stuffed animal or craft book as a Santa gift, I don't have to worry about returns.

Disney Infinity starter kit for PS3 is $12.96 ($13.83 after tax, in store pickup) at Walmart.com today. Great time to pick it up. Also, Macy's has leaked their Black Friday ad.

The Little Tikes easel is on sale right now. This is totally a Grandma type gift but she is weird when it comes to me knowing what she's getting the kids. I want to get it.... but then no way to return it later if she gets them one. So, I won't, but I want to!

Disney Infinity starter kit for PS3 is $12.96 ($13.83 after tax, in store pickup) at Walmart.com today. Great time to pick it up. Also, Macy's has leaked their Black Friday ad.

I got this at WalMart even though it was not on DS's list. It was a glitch in the system. He loved Skylanders. Love that you can continue to play even after you beat the game. Scored 2 characters at Best Buy, they priced matched TRUS sale of buy 1 get 1 40% off. Paid total of $36 and change for everything. Good shopping day.

I am DONE!!!! I ordered my last two gifts last night online. Now I need to find a day to wrap! I was trying to get done by Halloween so I could focus on paying for our January Disney trip. Success! :cool1:

Question! Anyone have a Lego Friends Advent set? Wondering if it's worth the money?

If your DD is familiar with the brand and you both understand that Legos are small (but $$) I say YES! My kids get one each (one Friends and one City) and they wake up early each day to see what they will receive that day. They LOVED them. It is so cute and festive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter