6 year old suspended for sexual harassment

This is ridiculous it really sounds like these teachers and school hate this kid because of discipline reasons and can finally have something they can stretch into something they can suspend him for. Unfortunately it's making them look foolish.

cjbcam said:
This is ridiculous it really sounds like these teachers and school hate this kid because of discipline reasons and can finally have something they can stretch into something they can suspend him for. Unfortunately it's making them look foolish.

Someone from the school district (maybe Superintendent? I can't remember) explained that this case falls under their sexual harassment policy because "unwanted touching" is part of that policy. He said it's a case where you have to look at the needs of both kids.

The mothers says the little girl was ok with the kiss. We don't know that's true. Most little girls I know don't want boys kissing them, certainly not in reading class. Even if the girl didn't mind, maybe her parents did.

Really, you think the teachers and school hate this 6 year old?
Maybe they are fed up with his constant discipline issue and his mother's excuses for them, sure. I don't think that equates to hate though.

Someone from the school district (maybe Superintendent? I can't remember) explained that this case falls under their sexual harassment policy because "unwanted touching" is part of that policy. He said it's a case where you have to look at the needs of both kids.

The mothers says the little girl was ok with the kiss. We don't know that's true. Most little girls I know don't want boys kissing them, certainly not in reading class. Even if the girl didn't mind, maybe her parents did.

I have to agree with you. Since the superintendent was bold enough to mention unwanted touching, the little girl's parents are probably pitching a fit that this boy is harassing their daughter.

How many times do we see threads here that say that a school will not do anything to kids that harass (bullying) others? This boy has been suspended for this same offense on a previous occasion, without the label. The second offense, and the little girl's right to a safe classroom, most likely warrant the label.

Again, we are not hearing the school's side of the story. It could very well be that the parents received many warnings that if the behavior continued, the label would be applied.

From what both the boy and his mother said in the article, I'm guessing there is a big listening problem with this boy. This incident was probably just one of many with this kid and the school had enough so they used sexual harassment to suspend his and send a message to his parents.

The mother makes a comment in the article about her son now asking questions about sex. Seriously? He wouldn't be doing that if she appropriately explained to him why he was suspended.

The boy said something like "I have a lot of energy but 6 year olds are supposed to have a lot of energy". Sounds like something he hears from his parents to excuse his bad behavior.

Yeah, from what I read, this was one thing piled on top of others. This kid has issues with boundaries and listening.

I have to agree with you. Since the superintendent was bold enough to mention unwanted touching, the little girl's parents are probably pitching a fit that this boy is harassing their daughter.

How many times do we see threads here that say that a school will not do anything to kids that harass (bullying) others? This boy has been suspended for this same offense on a previous occasion, without the label. The second offense, and the little girl's right to a safe classroom, most likely warrant the label.

Again, we are not hearing the school's side of the story. It could very well be that the parents received many warnings that if the behavior continued, the label would be applied.

Exactly. And until I hear a direct quote from the mother of the little girl saying she's ok with it, then I'm not going to believe she was.

Also despite his tender age, this would fall under the sexual harassment policy, which, schools do need to have.

And I saw the clip of the kid saying "6 year olds have a lot of energy," and IMO, he was coached by his parents.

From CNN

She said Hunter had problems at school before, getting suspended for rough-housing and for kissing the same girl on the cheek. The family has been working with him on "class disruptions" by grounding him and giving him "big restrictions," Saunders said.

Robin Gooldy, the superintendent of Cañon City Schools, told KRDO that Hunter's record will remain within the district and that his behavior fits the school policy description of sexual harassment, which includes unwanted touching.

"Our main interest in this is having the behavior stop because the story is not just about the student that was disciplined, it is also about the student receiving the unwanted advances," Gooldy told HLN. "We have to think about both students in the situation."

Typically, if a parent admits their kid has problems at school, you know it is a much bigger issue.

DD5 started kindergarten this year, her first two days she was kissed by three different boys. I know this is going to sound like I think she is perfect but whatever, she is innocent. Before her first few days in school she would have never she would have never considered anything about a BF, she came home her first day and said two different boys said she was their GF and kissed her. I was floored, I talked to her and explained that it was not allowed and if the boys would not stop after she asked then they were not her friends at all. I spoke with her teacher and it seems it has stopped. If she came home and said it happened again it would expect the school to take real action, and if it kept happening whether with my DD or someone else's it should be dealt with according to what it is. Which is sexual harassment.

I must have glanced right over the unwanted advances part. I'm totally with the school on this one. If this kid was pinching or slapping this girl and it was left to continue there would be outrage. While kissing isn't physically going to hurt someone, its is definitely harassment when it is unwanted by the recipient. This kid isn't a sexual predator or anything, but IMO if he can't keep his lips off of this girl after already being punished for it, he's got some issues that need dealing with.

From CNN

Typically, if a parent admits their kid has problems at school, you know it is a much bigger issue.

:thumbsup2

And before the special needs argument crops up, if the child was on an IEP, you know the parents would have brought this up in their interviews. Because, what brings sympathy more than a school picking on a child with special needs and behavior issues?

Also, we have no idea of the context of the kiss. Did the little boy forcibly grab her hand to kiss it? Did the girl "use her words" and tell him to stop, yet he continued? There is a difference between an innocent 6 year old kiss and one that used force. Per the superintendent's words, this was unwanted touching, indicating that the little girl did use some means to express that she did not want to be kissed.

We will never know unless the other mother comes forward to corroborate the snowflake's mother's version.

Maybe that's what they had to label it as in order to have a reason to suspend him.

I'm not saying 6 year olds don't have a lot of energy or that they shouldn't . It's just interesting that the boy is the one that made that comment.

If the mother is admitting to some discipline problems then he probably has major discipline problems.

Oh if his major disciple problem is kissing this girl or acting out in class, why hasn't the school ask for behavior program, suspension is a reward in most cases.

Kids act out in school, if we put a poll up for all the teachers on the disboard, I bet you more boys would be on the list.

IMO school system is failing boys in general, by making active boys conform to a system that doesn't work for them.

I truly besides the money factor don't understand why we try to shove boys into the triangle hole when they are circles!

Oh if his major disciple problem is kissing this girl or acting out in class, why hasn't the school ask for behavior program, suspension is a reward in most cases.

Kids act out in school, if we put a poll up for all the teachers on the disboard, I bet you more boys would be on the list.

IMO school system is failing boys in general, by making active boys conform to a system that doesn't work for them.

I truly besides the money factor don't understand why we try to shove boys into the triangle hole when they are circles!

I have active boys, but they are still taught and expected to behave appropriately when in school. In that sense, everyone should conform ;)
Now, if you are using the term active to mean something else then that is what an IEP is for, is it not?

How do you know that the school has not asked for a behavior mod program?

This sounds like the quintessential "Boys will be boys" thought process by the parents to excuse very, very poor behavior.

Yes, 6 year old boys are active and sometimes have discipline problems. But the mother has already admitted that her child has been suspended twice due to behavior. Twice. At 6. That is some pretty bad behavior to be suspended twice by kindergarten/1st grade.

Before we make judgments, one needs to know if the school is suspension happy. We need to know what modifications were put in place and if the parents followed them. But we will never know because the boy has a right to privacy. Frankly, I am floored the mother has gone public in this, shaming her child. Especially since she has admitted he is a behavior problem.

I have seen lots of active kindergartners that get in the normal amount of trouble as they are learning the rules. However, I have never encountered a 6 year old who has already been suspended twice. If the parents will not agree to the behavior mod program set up by the school, which it sounds like as the Mom said she is handling things at home, then the school's hands are tied to enforce whatever consequences they can.

This is freakin ridiculous. I don't care if he is in trouble often. You don't label a 6 year old with sexual harassment. Especially for kissing a hand. Common sense seems to be a thing of the past.

This!! I don't care if the kid is the worst kid in the world and has behavioral issues and everything else. I don't care if the kiss was wanted or unwanted. You don't use the words sexual harassment with a freaking six year old!!!!!! That is disgusting. The kid doesn't know any better.

Kids around here are kicked out of school even at that age for not listening repeatedly. Do that if you have too. Don't suspend and call it freaking sexual harassment!!!

Seriously folks. This is ridiculous. If I was that mom I'd pull my kid from that school. Send him to another one and put him in therapy for the behavioral issues.

I would never ever list it as sexual harassment. I mean seriously. I can't wrap my mind around how dumb that is!!!

But shocking it is not. There was something going around Facebook of all these 5, 6, and 7-year-olds being arrested for stupid things.

:confused3

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

:thumbsup2

And before the special needs argument crops up, if the child was on an IEP, you know the parents would have brought this up in their interviews. Because, what brings sympathy more than a school picking on a child with special needs and behavior issues?

Also, we have no idea of the context of the kiss. Did the little boy forcibly grab her hand to kiss it? Did the girl "use her words" and tell him to stop, yet he continued? There is a difference between an innocent 6 year old kiss and one that used force. Per the superintendent's words, this was unwanted touching, indicating that the little girl did use some means to express that she did not want to be kissed.

We will never know unless the other mother comes forward to corroborate the snowflake's mother's version.

"Use her words"

I see this as the real problem, in school with the dinosaurs if someone kissed you and it wasn't a wanted kiss you told teacher and said don't do that.

If that person did it again you hauled off and smacked them silly:) but now it's "use her words" lol

Guess I would have gotten suspended right alone with the kisser. So I guess kids aren't allowed to use self defense in school anymore?

How do you know that the school has not asked for a behavior mod program?

This sounds like the quintessential "Boys will be boys" thought process by the parents to excuse very, very poor behavior.

Yes, 6 year old boys are active and sometimes have discipline problems. But the mother has already admitted that her child has been suspended twice due to behavior. Twice. At 6. That is some pretty bad behavior to be suspended twice by kindergarten/1st grade.

Before we make judgments, one needs to know if the school is suspension happy. We need to know what modifications were put in place and if the parents followed them. But we will never know because the boy has a right to privacy. Frankly, I am floored the mother has gone public in this, shaming her child. Especially since she has admitted he is a behavior problem.

I have seen lots of active kindergartners that get in the normal amount of trouble as they are learning the rules. However, I have never encountered a 6 year old who has already been suspended twice. If the parents will not agree to the behavior mod program set up by the school, which it sounds like as the Mom said she is handling things at home, then the school's hands are tied to enforce whatever consequences they can.

Not a boys will be boys, some boys don't fit the school sit down listen mold.

It's just plain crazy suspended twice something is really wrong with this boy/parent or the school system. Really hope the mom gets him out of there, gets behavior program minus the drugs. Mom threw privacy out the window. Maybe she will sue for lost of life enjoyment.

lauradis said:

None of us know what the school has done ( other than a few suspensions) or asked for.
Active boys need to learn appropriate behavior. Conform to a system that doesn't work for them? Yeah ok.
I'm so sick of the idea that is ok for kids to misbehave. Sit down and listen is part of life and kids need to learn how to do it.

Ever parent at that school should feel secure in the fact that their elementary school aged child is in school learning and interacting with friends, not worrying that their child has a "boyfriend" and is being kissed during class.

Really, you think the teachers and school hate this 6 year old?
Maybe they are fed up with his constant discipline issue and his mother's excuses for them, sure. I don't think that equates to hate though.

{OT}
luvmy3 ~ your tag is the funniest one I've seen. Tag fairy? :rotfl:

Right. We should just let boys run around disturbing others no matter where they are because "some boys will be boys". Sorry, BS. Kids need to learn how to behave appropriately. Will they have trouble doing it all the time? Yes. But by 6, all kids should be able to sit through the school day, listening to and obeying their teacher.

IMO, even saying SOME kids "don't fit in the slot" is what parents who let their kids run around restaurants, movie theaters, and stores say. Their child is just "being a kid". ummm, no.

I'm sorry but if dd came home complaining that a boy kissed her HAND, I would probably laugh. And if she said that she didn't want him doing that, I certainly would tell her that if he did it again to smack him with that hand.

C'mon the boy didn't attack the girl, he didn't touch her anywhere inappropriate. He kissed her hand.

DD had a wedding on the playground in 3rd grade. He kissed her on the cheek. :scared1: It just isn't that big of a deal.

I do think its likely that this is something the school is using to be able to punish him for past problems. I don't think they hate him, maybe they just don't want to deal with him.

I had that kid. And when you are constantly having to be there for your child, trying to work on their behavior AND make sure they are treated fairly sometimes you come off as sounding like you think your child is special. I didn't. I just was going to make sure he was treated fairly and not blamed for everything that happened and if it involved more than just him, he would get the same punishment as everyone else. That doesn't make this kid a "snowflake", it makes him somebody's child.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter