6 Year old in Remission from Leukemia

mommyintn

DIS Veteran
My cousins daughter is in remission from Leukemia but she is still battling mobility issues since she was diagnosed while she was in the toddler stage. She has a hard time walking long distances and is currently being treated to strengthen her bones.

They are taking a trip to Florida the end of this month and they asked me what kind of accomodations she could get while in the park and if they needed a letter from the Dr. etc. This is something I'm not really experienced with so wanted to come to the experts. Thanks!

As for mobility/stamina concerns for a 6-year-old, they definitely want to use a stroller. If she doesn't have one at home, they can rent one - recommend an off-site rental so they will have use of it at the resort and outside the parks as well. If she is small for her age, she may still fit in a standard umbrella stroller, or there are larger strollers available for rent. My 7-year-old uses a Maclaren Major Elite, which is essentially an umbrella stroller made for bigger children. Very convenient. Also, they should check at Guest Relations about using the stroller as a wheelchair.

Other accomodations - the family should think about what they want to do at the part, what the child's abilities/limitations are, and what may/may not help her participate. They can discuss these needs with Guest Relations at the first park to see what might be offered. A doctor's note is not necessary, and likely would not be looked at even if offered. They want to indicate what NEEDS the child has, rather that diagnosis or condition. Guest Assistance Cards are only valid for park attractions only, not restaurants or transportation or resorts or any other areas outside the 4 parks.

Hoping she has a long remission and regains her strength!

My cousins daughter is in remission from Leukemia but she is still battling mobility issues since she was diagnosed while she was in the toddler stage. She has a hard time walking long distances and is currently being treated to strengthen her bones.

They are taking a trip to Florida the end of this month and they asked me what kind of accomodations she could get while in the park and if they needed a letter from the Dr. etc. This is something I'm not really experienced with so wanted to come to the experts. Thanks!

Sue has a sticky at the top of this forum with a ton of information. You might want to have your cousin review that, especially the post regarding Guest Assistance Cards (GAC). I think it's post #6 in that sticky.

I'd highly recommend using a stroller and getting a "stroller as a wheelchair" GAC from Guest Relations. They will put a red tag on the stroller that allows it to be used in lines the same way a wheelchair would be used.

A doctor's note is not needed, and the castmembers won't even look at it if one is presented. What your cousin will need to do is explain to the castmembers what her DD's limitations and needs are. They can then tailor the GAC to best fit her needs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter