6 mos old dining

disgirlha

Earning My Ears
I am going to disney in 3 weeks, my son will be 6 mos on the day we leave. I just heard that many of the restaurants that we have reservations for will not allow strollers. Where does a 6 mos old sit in a restaurant if not in a stroller? He does not yet sit up and I know my daughter wasn't able to sit in a restaurant high chair until about 8 mos.

I would greatly appreciate any ideas?

Thank you!

If the stroller being used has the removable carseat attachment I would suggest bringing that to wdw and using it at the restaurant. Some restaurants let us bring in the stroller and some simply did not have room to even consider allowing it. So we held him. Not the best choice, but it worked. We also asked for a booth when possible and could then lay him down beside us (on the bench seat) if he was sleepy.

Alot of them did allow us to bring in our strollers especially if they were sleeping. And when she was small enough we brought the travel system with the car seat and brought that in places that wouldn't allow the stroller. they would put a chair up for it to sit in so she wasn't on the floor.

Some also have infant seats on high chairs for little ones that can't sit up.

This is her in the chair at the Crystal Palace. We just put a receiving blanket over it before putting her in it.

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?...kin_id=406&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

I couldn't get photobucket to work this morning so I had to use this and just give you the link. Sorry.

If you're going to the Land, they don't even allow strollers into the pavilion. (Once you're in there you will see why, there is absolutely no room for them).

Our granddaughter was 3 months old last August and we were allowed to take her stroller in most of the restraurants. This included:

Whisperering Canyon
LeCellier
Concourse Steakhouse
The Plaza
Trails End
Coral Reef
Kona Cafe

Most places were very accommodating and it was never a problem. It was either we bring it or we pass her around the table as each of us take a bite (not of her, our food....you know what I mean):lmao:

If you're going to the Land, they don't even allow strollers into the pavilion. (Once you're in there you will see why, there is absolutely no room for them).

That is true, but you can take a stroller if you have a GAC. My DIL was allowed to take her stroller in last September since her 3 yo daughter is too little to use a wheelchair and strollers are tagged and allowed for this purpose. I think the reason for no strollers at the Land is because of the one small elevator too.

I am going to disney in 3 weeks, my son will be 6 mos on the day we leave. I just heard that many of the restaurants that we have reservations for will not allow strollers. Where does a 6 mos old sit in a restaurant if not in a stroller? He does not yet sit up and I know my daughter wasn't able to sit in a restaurant high chair until about 8 mos.

I would greatly appreciate any ideas?

Thank you!

What restaurants do you have booked?

When youngest DD was 3 months old on a WDW trip, we have used the infant high chairs at:

Chef Mickey's
Garden Grill

We also were able to bring her stroller into:

Marrakesh
Hoop Dee Doo
Le Cellier
Cape May
Ohana

If they have the wooden high chairs you turn them upside down and put the car seat right across the bottom and it works perfectly and is sturdy! I see this done alot and have done it myself when need be.:thumbsup2

Thanks for the information. I wasn't planning on bringing the infant carrier...but I am now realizing it might be my best bet. My 5 month old is on the larger side for his age (just about 20 lbs.) and I thought he may be uncomfortable and bored laying in the infant seat all day. We are staying at the polynesian and will be taking the monorail system so leaving it in the car is not an option. He def cannot sit in the regular high chairs provided by most restaurants for the length of an entire meal (we are part of a grand gathering and there are 12 in our party). I have never seen those infant seats. Does anyone know which restaurant provides those seats or a number I can call to find that out?

Here are the restaurants we have reservations for:

Ohana
Cinderella's Royal Table
Hoop De Doo
Kona
Brown Derby
Chef Mickey's
Artist Point
Le Cellier
Boma
California Grill

If they have the wooden high chairs you turn them upside down and put the car seat right across the bottom and it works perfectly and is sturdy! I see this done alot and have done it myself when need be.:thumbsup2

I DO NOT recommend doing this. I worked in the restaurant industry for over 15 years, and all those highchairs have warnings when ordering, in the boxes they are delivered in, and many right on the chair about how dangerous that is. The manufacturer does not want to be sued. Yes, they can be fine, but it's a lot like using a car seat properly. It is NOT as sturdy as many people think; I've seen a lot of near misses come from this.

Restaurants who allow this can open themselves up to HUGE lawsuits and, thankfully, many won't allow it anymore. High chairs that are made to hold car seats (the top flips over in most) are made for this reason, just some restaurants are too cheap to spend the money on them.

To the OP--We had the same issue back in 2004. I called each restaurant directly and they all told me the same thing: a sleeping child will not have to be removed from the stroller and a child you can not sit up will not need to be removed from the stroller when they can not provide an infant highchair. We didn't have any problems at all.

You say your son is already 20lbs at only 5 months, so have you tried him in a portable seat? Portable seats are good & solid - you could keep in a locker, your car if driving or bottom of stroller (depending upon your stroller). My 9 month old is 20lbs and can sit in a regular highchair and perhaps has more neck control than your son at this older age, but he has been able to sit in regular highchairs since a very young age, and restaurant highchairs at about 5 months. You could also pad the restaurant highchair with a towel, jacket or blanket to give him support. Maybe try it out before, just to be sure, as you never know, he might do just fine, and then you won't have to worry!

Good luck, Tiger

You really don't need to worry! We brought our baby last Thanksgiving at 2 months old, and this last Feb. at 5 months old. Like you we didn't want to use the infant seat in the stroller (it seems so confining to me, especially for a long day in the parks) so I just kept him in the regular stroller. Every single restaurant accomodated us, either to let us bring our stroller in, or to provide a special dining seat for infants (it's a sling thing, worked great). Just let them know when you check in that you have a baby who isn't able to sit up yet and they will help you out.

Places we ate: (with stroller)

Le Cellier
Kona
Mama Melrose
Teppanyaki (or whatever they call it now)
Boma
Biergarten
LTT
and at least one other TS rest. that I can't remember :confused:

At Crystal Palace they provided the other chair.

For hanging out in the Land, I highly recommend getting some sort of sling or pack that lets you carry your baby around easily.

HTH!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter