• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

6 days to go & freaking about germs

camdensmom

DIS Veteran
I am so very excited to surprise our kids on Thursday night with the news that we are going to Disney next weekend. But, now that we are in close proximity I am beyond nervous about somebody getting sick.

We went to wdw a few years ago in April and all 5 of us had a stomach virus and it was awful!!! I wasn't expecting it in the spring. I am a teacher and there is so much going around school. A friend is down there now and just posted on FB that they got a bug on day 2.

Ugh!

I always travel with antibacterial wipes and clean the phone, remote, faucets, doorknobs, etc as soon as we get to the hotel and then use tons of antibacterial gel, wipes and good old soap and water.

Disney brings out the germaphobe in me because I swear I'm usually very relaxed about those types of things.

My perspective is a little different from yours because I'm not a germaphobe. The best suggestion for you is basic handwashing and keeping yourself healthy-eat a good diet, get enough rest etc. As for the antibacterial onslaught, it won't do any good against a stomach virus, antibacterials don't kill viruses. And a virus is usually what gets most people sick. Simple good hygiene and handwashing, with plain soap, is enough for most folks. If someone in your household has a lowered immune system, then more may be necessary. Overuse of antibacterial products can increase the odds of resistant bacteria also. I think a lot of folks get sick at Disney due to lack of sleep, exposures to new bugs and crazy different schedule. If you can, just relax about it, stress makes you more likely to get sick too! And yes, I get a bug every 2 or 3 trips to Disney, and so does my husband. And we do nothing but handwash appropriately. It's the lack of sleep and wacky schedule that does us in every time, along with exposure to different bugs then at home. Good luck with not getting sick, and pack a few meds to limit the duration of anything you do get.
Mary

I totally understand the anxiety over getting sick. I'm never a germaphobe in normal life, but the week before a vacation I start to stress about someone getting sick too. So far my son has been sick every trip, but it has somehow never ruined the vacation. I'm sure I should just relax, but it's easier said than done.

We leave in a week and I too am starting to freak a little:( I went and bought zinc and echinacea for everyone to take before we leave. There's six of us, so if we got a bug it definitely would be a bummer:(

We leave Wednesday evening and I know how you feel. I am drinking plenty of water, OJ, taking a multivitamin. I have DD doing the same except she is taking kids vitamin c instead of the multivitamin. I plan on washing (soap and water) our hands before we eat anything in the park and I have antibacterial wipes in case we can not get to a bathroom and DD wants a snack (like in a line).

Just relax...Stressing over it is far more likely to make you sick and lower your immune system..I am an RN so I don't stress about germs, I run into far nastier stuff each and every time I go to work..I have found that getting plenty of rest, good ,nutritious food and simple washing washing your hands this time of year works well

Our DD (2.5) is sick now and we leave on Friday. This ALWAYS happens to us. No matter how hard I try to keep things clean, she always manages to get sick right before a trip. Hoping she gets better before we go!!!

I am the same way! And we leave Thursday!!! Aahhhhhhh!!!! We had a nasty virus back in March but we weren't in Disney. We got it from a Dr.'s appt. We have been preparing out immune systems for a few weeks now. And we take probitics. I am not sure if this works or not but I figured it is worth a try. I will do everything I can and if it is not good enough then I knew that was meant to be. I actually had to see help after the last virus because it mentally messed me up. I was in the hospital for dehydration and my worst fear in life is throwing up or my kids throwing up. I know I am OCD but we all have our quirks, lol. Actually, 3 years ago my husband got the H1N1 there. So there are all kinds of nastiness there. :sick:

You might check into Standard Process products, usually found at a chiropractor's. I personally buy mine from Amazon now, but I am not recommending without you talking to someone about using it first. It is all made from whole food. We have been using one of their products specifically for boosting the immune system for about 2 years now and have had great results. Been to Disney 3 times at least while using this and stayed pretty healthy. My kids used to get ear infections and strep really bad every year. Good for protection from viruses as well. Since being on this product we have not had to use an antibiotic for a very long time. That is saying something for us with bad asthmatics in the household. Not saying it is a cure all by any means. They have other products we keep on hand to use at the first sign of coming down with something.

You still need all the great advice given already....hand washing being the best, and definitely rest and hydration. But this does definitely help boost your system.
I do use Emergen-C for the plane trips. We used to use Airborne but for some reason we all seem to actually get sick after taking that.
Enjoy your trip!!! pixiedust:

Ugh! Just one more ting to worry about! I have antibactirial gel and wipes, and clorox wipes for the airplane trays and such. I am a total gem freak.

We leave in three days, and I have been nutso for about a week. I'm a substitute teacher, and last week I subbed in a preschool classroom, only to find out that a stomach bug was going around. One kid was sent home that morning, another kid had issues at the very end of the day, and the next day three kids were out with it. I Lysoled the heck out of that room before I left for the day--nap mats, tables, chairs, door handles, and bathroom!
I tell my own kids everyday before they go to school not to touch their face, put their hands in their mouth, or kiss anybody (lol--they're 6 and 10--that's still gross to them). I also remind them to wash their hands after bathroom trips and before eating!

I can understand being nervous since you got sick before.

I can tell you this.... we were there from Sept 30-Oct 10. 12 entire days. The kids touched walls, railings, etc. We didn't use wipes or hand sanitizer. They washed their hands when they went to the bathroom. None of us got sick at all.

Don't let being paranoid about getting sick put a damper on having fun. :goodvibes

Just relax...Stressing over it is far more likely to make you sick and lower your immune system..I am an RN so I don't stress about germs, I run into far nastier stuff each and every time I go to work..I have found that getting plenty of rest, good ,nutritious food and simple washing washing your hands this time of year works well

This...don't stress out...just relax and be healthy :thumbsup2

You might check into Standard Process products, usually found at a chiropractor's. I personally buy mine from Amazon now, but I am not recommending without you talking to someone about using it first. It is all made from whole food. We have been using one of their products specifically for boosting the immune system for about 2 years now and have had great results. Been to Disney 3 times at least while using this and stayed pretty healthy. My kids used to get ear infections and strep really bad every year. Good for protection from viruses as well. Since being on this product we have not had to use an antibiotic for a very long time. That is saying something for us with bad asthmatics in the household. Not saying it is a cure all by any means. They have other products we keep on hand to use at the first sign of coming down with something.

You still need all the great advice given already....hand washing being the best, and definitely rest and hydration. But this does definitely help boost your system.
I do use Emergen-C for the plane trips. We used to use Airborne but for some reason we all seem to actually get sick after taking that.

Big FAT DITTO! We used Standard Process supplements as suggested by my acupuncturist & I've not had a flu or virus in almost 2 years for more than a day of very mild, very quick symptoms... if at all. That's when everyone around us is out for 3-5 days battling the bug. DD & I use them all the time, but I upped our intake of probiotics & echinacea in the 3 weeks before our Oct trip. (Everyone was posting about coming home sick from Disney & I wanted to do everything I could to avolid it!) Otherwise we just stuck to handwashing, making sure to get our fruits & veggies in around all the junk food ;), lots of water and getting decent sleep whenever possible. For the kids echinacea, I use the liquid one at herbdoc.com, they're all organic.

Please tell me more. what do you mean you use Emergen-C for the plane trips???? I saw some at trader joes and should of picked some up. what do you use? aren't there quite a few different ones?

Some tips I read before my last trip:
Hand sanitizer is useless against the stomach flu. If you have no access to water/soap, use wipes as they will mechanically remove some of the germs.

Avoid buffets. I'm sure that Disney keeps an eye on the food temps and safety. But... Everyone is touching the same tongs, you go back to your table and eat. If you really must do buffet, then use silverware for everything or wash your hands after you go up and before you eat.

We got in the habit of ordering and getting our food, then sitting down and rotating boys and girls to the bathroom to wash up. I'm not that diligent at home (should be).

Don't touch your face. That's easier said than done, especially by kids.

There's a lot of people in a space, so things are bound to go around. But the vast majority of people do not get sick at WDW, and you probably won't either.

Have fun!

We just got back from our trip and we managed to stay well. I started 14 strain probiotics and echinacea the week before for our trip as well as EmergenC/vitamin C. We take vitamins and Apple Cider Vinegar regularly at home. We washed hands frequently during this trip and used lots of hand sanitizer. The one buffet we had (Chef Mickey's) we washed hands when we got there (we were the first people there that day) and used sanitizer or washed after getting a plate of food. For our family, I also bring charcoal capsule supplements on our trips in case of food poisoning/stomach flu (I am not a doctor). A woman in the laundry room this trip told me she was washing clothes because they (8 of them)had the stomach flu and had been up all night. They were going to head out on a cruise the same day. She said the people in the room next to her had it as well (not with her group). I used a drop or two of tea tree oil in my load to disinfect. I am wondering if mousekeeping cleans from one room to the next and spreads germs that way(no debate intended)?

I'm feeling your pain, we leave on Saturday and both of my kids are home sick from school today with the stomach virus. Here's hoping it passes quickly and that my husband and I don't get it.

My family and I just came back last night and my son was sick during our entire trip home with a stomach virus. We met another family on the magical express bus to the airport and their son was running back and forth on the bus to the bathroom to vomit. The mother annoyed me because she let her son wipe his moth on the seat on front of them after being sick in the bathroom because there were no paper towels in the bathroom, nor did she have anything for him. Gross! I pity the family who sat in that seat on the bus next. Also met at least 2 other families at the airport yesterday saying they were all sick with the same thing during their trip. It was awful! I'm traumatized by the experience with my son. We let housekeeping know he was ill before we left and asked them to take precaution when cleaning for the next guest. Don't know if they will, but I hope so. The front desk at Bay Lake Tower was no help. We asked if they could send up some plastic bags for the bus ride, and until we got to the airport. They told us no, that they "don't do that, that we would have to stop into the gift shop" and get bags. I really didn't want to drag the kid anywhere and around anyone else that he could get sick. I found a person from housekeeping and they were nice enough to give us some plastic laundry bags... Awful! I wish you all good vibes and germ free trips ahead of you!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter