A Pink Pixie Princess - Complete!

some encouragement (i hope) .... I'm a lurker sorry ... but I've become interested in running a Disney race now because of you and your trip reports. My son runs XC and distance track in college. After reading your and other run reports I've been getting back into running so he and I can run a race together at Disney. My younger son just started running XC in high school so maybe this can be a super cool father / son(s) thing we can share. Thanks for inspiring me!

Thank you for being honest and up front with your struggles and successes!

As John mentioned above ... I too mix up my cardio workouts. It keeps me sane and adds variety to my week :)

Last edited:
Breaks are good, do what you got to do! Sciatic pain sucks, mine came back with my piriformis injury last fall as I've mentioned. While my piriformis is mostly better as long as I don't sit long (band concerts on bleachers are killer), the sciatic pain loves to flare up. I can never pinpoint why, it just does. So, hang in there on it, my pain left before so I have hope for us both that the pain will leave.

Running is not natural for me either, so I mostly just run by feel, push myself if I can, if not oh well! I run an app on most runs now (just so I can remember to log my shoe mileage), but don't really pay attention to the splits unless I'm feeling really good and feel like pushing it for the fun of it, running blind to time is great. Also, I suck at following a training plan, because some days if I feel good I'll run farther, or if a pain pops up (like my right knee currently) I'll cut it short/slow down, so I run on the fly I suppose to maximize good feeling days, if that makes sense. ....That's the joy of running, it doesn't matter your speed (well, unless you are Olympic material!) as long as you get out because you want to and do it and can enjoy it in the long run.

I completely agree with everything that's been said re: taking a break. I have been running on and off for 15 years, the last 3 were really haphazard as my interest just wasn't there. Fast forward to today and I've fallen in love with it again, some of that is from finding runDisney and HRC, but most of it is because I took the mental break away to pursue other activities that made me happier, now those activities (power lifting) are taking a back seat to my runs, because I find genuine joy in being outside and chasing new race goals again. Am I significantly slower than I was, yes. Do some days initially suck? Totally! But each week I make progress and end my run smiling, when that stops, I'll know I'm do for another break. The great thing with running is that it's not a fad, it will always be there for you to return to. Take a break...the joy will return organically, in time.

Come to the dark side! If nothing else, the varied training keeps things more interesting than simply running all the time. And don't feel bad about not liking running right now or even at all. I don't like running. I like what running does for me, the friends it has brought me, and the places it's taken me. Keeping those things in mind makes it easier to get up in the morning and suffer through a treadmill or a parking lot.
That's a good point about the variety. Mostly I'd be worried about getting kicked in the face during the swim portion. I've never been a strong cyclist but maybe that's just because I never do it...

This is going to make me sound like a weirdo, but when I was doing my virtual 5K the other day I was hating doing the laps around my local park and I thought about how you said you do laps around a parking lot. It made me mentally whine a little less. :teeth:
Oh boy can I relate to this! I barely run these days. I go to CKO when I can drag myself there, but mostly I'm just lazy. I am so burnt out from training for 3 marathons including Dopey and another marathon in the same year :crazy2:. I'm so tired of schedules, and not sleeping in on weekends, and not getting to just go home after work and enjoy a nice evening with a drink ;)
Marathon burnout is REAL! I experienced it after Goofy and after Dopey. It's awful. I totally feel you with being tired of things!!
I'm still doing some races this year, but only doing the minimal amount of training needed to finish.
I've cut waayyyy back on races over the past couple of years. Lately it's just been Disney or what I need to get PoT for Disney. I just don't enjoy them!
This post is exactly why I love your TR so much. You are always honest about your feelings and they are always so relatable!
:) Thank you for saying that. I wasn't sure if it came off as dramatic or whiny, just how I was feeling!
The whole of 2015 was about reevaluating my running goals. I had a hard time when I realized I would never be as fast as I used to be. For me it was so exciting when I first got into running to break my records, get to new distances, etc. Once those goals were realized and I could not beat my PRs, I realized I am just happy to kind of jog along- not trying to go fast. I still got my boost in endorphins, a cardio workout, and yes, weight management.
OMG - this is so me!! Me exactly. Especially the bolded portion, I think that's what I'm going through right now, with comparing how I am now to how I was 1-2 years ago. That has been really hard for me, and I think it's been a mistake to do that. I think that's where I am right now and I'm trying to just not care about it anymore, and look at running as what keeps me healthy.
You have such a smart way of looking at it. Being active is being active, whether you are a running a 9 minute/mile or 14 minute/mile, your body is so happy for the health gains! I hope you really enjoy your most deserved week off and come back refreshed!
I had a good talk with my husband about all of this and he essentially said what you said. I'm trying to make that my new mindset! ::yes:: I think I'll be happier that way!
some encouragement (i hope) .... I'm a lurker sorry ... but I've become interested in running a Disney race now because of you and your trip reports. My son runs XC and distance track in college. After reading your and other run reports I've been getting back into running so he and I can run a race together at Disney. My younger son just started running XC in high school so maybe this can be a super cool father / son(s) thing we can share. Thanks for inspiring me!
Hi! :) Thank you for reading my reports, and for commenting here. Please let me know if you have any runDisney questions!! Have you picked/signed up for your first race yet?

I do appreciate any and all encouragement, so thank you!! :)
Thank you for being honest and up front with your struggles and successes!
Like I said above, I'm always worried that it comes off as whiny. :) I'm glad it doesn't seem to (or maybe it does but no one is saying so?! :scratchin)
As John mentioned above ... I too mix up my cardio workouts. It keeps me sane and adds variety to my week :)
That's definitely something I will consider going forward. I used to swim a couple of times a week and we do have a pool at work...:scratchin
Breaks are good, do what you got to do! Sciatic pain sucks, mine came back with my piriformis injury last fall as I've mentioned. While my piriformis is mostly better as long as I don't sit long (band concerts on bleachers are killer), the sciatic pain loves to flare up. I can never pinpoint why, it just does. So, hang in there on it, my pain left before so I have hope for us both that the pain will leave.
:( I'm sorry you're still having issues. For me, I'm still feeling weakness and nerve pain in my left calf, and I still have numbness on the outside of that foot. It is LIGHT YEARS better than it was, but I still have days where it's frustrating. Of course, a little under 5 months ago I couldn't make it across the street without taking a break due to the pain so at least it's not like that anymore!!
Running is not natural for me either, so I mostly just run by feel, push myself if I can, if not oh well! I run an app on most runs now (just so I can remember to log my shoe mileage), but don't really pay attention to the splits unless I'm feeling really good and feel like pushing it for the fun of it, running blind to time is great.
This is what I'm doing now! I think it's exactly what I need. :)

mostly I think I just need to chill out!! ::yes::
Also, I suck at following a training plan, because some days if I feel good I'll run farther, or if a pain pops up (like my right knee currently) I'll cut it short/slow down, so I run on the fly I suppose to maximize good feeling days, if that makes sense.
I've always been VERY good at following training plans. I'm such a rule follower! :rotfl2:
....That's the joy of running, it doesn't matter your speed (well, unless you are Olympic material!) as long as you get out because you want to and do it and can enjoy it in the long run.
I need to, like, print this out and hang it on my wall. I definitely lost the joy. :(
I completely agree with everything that's been said re: taking a break. I have been running on and off for 15 years,
DANG, go you!!!
the last 3 were really haphazard as my interest just wasn't there. Fast forward to today and I've fallen in love with it again, some of that is from finding runDisney and HRC, but most of it is because I took the mental break away to pursue other activities that made me happier, now those activities (power lifting) are taking a back seat to my runs, because I find genuine joy in being outside and chasing new race goals again.
I think this is something that I struggle with, with running - for some reason I have it ingrained in my head that it's NOT okay for me to take some time off and try something else for awhile. I'm a crazy person.

runDisney and Harry Potter, you have excellent taste!! ::yes::
Am I significantly slower than I was, yes. Do some days initially suck? Totally! But each week I make progress and end my run smiling, when that stops, I'll know I'm do for another break. The great thing with running is that it's not a fad, it will always be there for you to return to. Take a break...the joy will return organically, in time.
That is a great way to look at it. :) I think I've been putting unnecessary pressure on myself, and that has taken the joy away. I'm working on it!!

Thanks for all of the nice posts, everyone! I really appreciate each and every one of you. :) I'll try to whine less going forward.

39edaee9ebcdd75052c0e1054d834798.jpg

(from Pinterest)

So...I still have a couple of races coming up. Despite my little freakout last week, I'd like to complete them (I mean, I did pay for them after all). With a little help, I'm heading down a new path...

Running Blind - 10-miler Training

Maybe this plan will stick?

As I have mentioned, my runs early last week were not good. On Tuesday evening, I PM'd @DopeyBadger and asked for help with coming up with a different training plan (because, you know, he's generous enough to make training plans for practically every member of this message board :)). I thought maybe kicking things up a notch would help.

The next morning, I sort of reached my breaking point with how frustrated I've been with running lately (I feel like I have hinted at this here in the thread but maybe not come right out and said so until earlier this week?) and PM'd him again, this time saying that I wasn't ready for something more difficult.

He came back and said he could make something pretty basic for me, and suggested something that I have never tried before - "blind pacing." Basically, I run based on perceived effort only, and for a certain amount of time, not distance. The catch is that I never look at what pace I am running - not during the run, not after the run.

With the way I have been feeling about my pace lately (in a word: crappy), I think this is something that is definitely worth trying. I'm tired of feeling bad about myself for this (and let me be clear - when I say I am disappointed, I am only comparing my current self to my pre-injury self - which, MISTAKE!!! This should not be taken on commentary on anyone else's pace...if that makes sense :)).

So...effort levels:

Effort 1: Run slow enough that you barely notice your breathing. There may be brief moments where you notice your breathing on hills, but that's ok. This should be very relaxed and comfortable. You feel like you could run this pace forever.

Effort 2: Run slow enough that breathing becomes rhythmic but not difficult to maintain. Breathing should not be labored and difficult to maintain. You feel like you're trying, but you're still not trying hard. You feel like you could almost run this pace forever.

Effort 3: Run to where you feel like you could maintain this pace, but it's difficult to breathe, but not too bad. Just turn your mind off and run. This is still not overly fast, not a sprint. This is still a pace you’re very comfortable with and having fun. Just run.

Challenges for this...

1. Not looking at pace ever (spoiler - I have already accidentally failed at this). Remember how I was so excited that my new watch shows 4 data fields? Well, last night I changed it to only show 2: the main timer and time of day. So that should help me not look at pace during the run. But I'm a numbers dork - not looking at pace after I'm done will be tougher
  2. As Billy/DopeyBadger said: "I'd say the key for it to work is you being honest to yourself. Define what is effort 1, 2, and 3 in your mind and then just run that way." Again, I'm a numbers dork, so not having a pace to rely on or even a heart rate target may be tricky. But I think I really need this break from focusing so much on pace, so I'll just have to figure it out!
  3. I'm thinking this new plan will not work with treadmill runs, so I'll need to figure out something different for running before work. Right now I roll out of bed, get dressed and drive to work to use the treadmills there, which is nice because I get to beat rush hour traffic. Hmmmm...

Anyway, the blind plan. Special thanks for DopeyBadger for putting this together. He assures me I probably won't die in my races if I use this plan. :) As I stated earlier, I'm not going to be reporting my pace, and I likely won't report my mileage anymore either. I'm a weirdo!!

CURRENT

Week 9 (August 29 - September 4): 95 minutes of running + 10-mile race planned
Monday: 45 minutes @ Effort 1
Tuesday: rest
Wednesday: 30 minutes @ Effort 1/yoga
Thursday: rest
Friday: 20 minutes @ Effort 1/yoga
Saturday: rest
Sunday: 10-mile race

COMPLETE

Week 1 (July 4 - July 10): 195 minutes of running completed

Monday: 30 minutes @ Effort 1
Wednesday: 45 minutes - 10 minutes @ Effort 1, 25 minutes @ Effort 3, 10 minutes @ Effort 1/yoga
Friday: 45 minutes @ Effort 1/yoga
Saturday: 75 minutes @ Effort 2
Sunday: yoga

Week 2 (July 11 - July 17): 195 minutes of running completed
Monday: 30 minutes @ Effort 1
Wednesday: 45 minutes - 10 minutes @ Effort 1, 25 minutes @ Effort 3, 10 minutes @ Effort 1
Friday: 60 minutes @ Effort 1
Saturday: 60 minutes @ Effort 2

Week 3 (July 18 - July 24): 240 minutes of running planned, 210 minutes completed
Monday: yoga
Tuesday: 45 minutes @ Effort 1
Wednesday: yoga
Thursday: 45 minutes - 10 minutes @ Effort 1, 25 minutes @ Effort 3, 10 minutes @ Effort 1
Friday: 60 minutes @ Effort 1/yoga
Saturday: 90 minutes @ Effort 2 (60 minutes completed)

Week 4 (July 25 - July 31): 210 minutes of running completed
Wednesday: 45 minutes - 10 minutes @ Effort 1, 25 minutes @ Effort 3, 10 minutes @ Effort 1/yoga
Thursday: 60 minutes @ Effort 1
Friday: 60 minutes @ Effort 2/yoga
Saturday: rest
Sunday: rest

Week 5 (August 1 - August 7): 250 minutes of running completed
Friday: 60 minutes @ Effort 1/yoga
Saturday: 100 minutes @ Effort 2

Week 6 (August 8 - August 14): 110 minutes of running + 10K Race completed
Wednesday: 45 minutes - 10 minutes @ Effort 1, 25 minutes @ Effort 3, 10 minutes @ Effort 1
Friday: 20 minutes @ Effort 1
Saturday: 10K Race

Week 7 (August 15 - August 21): 280 minutes of running completed
Monday: 60 minutes @ Effort 1
Wednesday: 60 minutes - 15 minutes @ Effort 1, 25 minutes @ Effort 3, 20 minutes @ Effort 1
Thursday: yoga
Friday: 60 minutes @ Effort 1
Saturday: 100 minutes @ Effort 2

Week 8 (August 22 - August 28): 195 minutes of running planned, 135 minutes of running completed
Tuesday: 45 minutes - 10 minutes @ Effort 1, 25 minutes @ Effort 3, 10 minutes @ Effort 1
Wednesday: 45 minutes @ Effort 1
Thursday: DISNEY
Friday: DISNEY
Saturday: 60 minutes @ Effort 2 (DISNEY)
Sunday: DISNEY

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
Just did a huge bajillion page catch up! Too much to comment on-AHHH! I pulled three things that so resonated with me because I know you value my input on your life above all things so it would be downright rude to not share.

First- everything in this picture is like Megan jealousy bait. So very very awesome- shirt, purse, location, shiny hair- love it all! Srsly! And yes, if you want to PM the Facebook group for inkNburn that you are on- I NEEDS me a BB-8 shirt like yesterday.

DH and I have been talking about what we want to do for vacation 2017- we've realized we can take a Disney cruise out of Galveston with ourselves our four kids and a sitter for the same cost as taking ourselves and our two oldest over to Asia. On the one hand, turns out cruising is the exact vacation my husband wants- eating, drinking and napping. And everyone would get to go. On the other hand, my oldest sister is living in Japan and my two girls speak Mandarin and one of them also speaks Japanese and well, ALL of the Asian Disney theme parks! But I find it oddly intimidating to plan a trip for somewhere I know nothing about.

All week, I have seriously been debating pulling the plug on running altogether...suddenly it is making me miserable.

Right here is the last six months for me. I'm not going to be too dramatic but life has been kind of hard for me this last year and instead of being all Warrior Princess and taking all issues head on, I've kind of just gone into a depressed stupor and my running has suffered. Right now I hate running. there is no joy. I hate that I'm slow. I hate that I've gained weight. I hate that I am not where I was ability wise. To have such a backslide has sucked all joy out of it that I don't want to do it anymore. Which stinks because I have the frickin NYC marathon in November-this once in a lifetime opportunity to start training for next week and I just don't want to do it. I also did a 10k proof of time race a couple of weeks ago and I was so far off of where I used to be. I get it. I'm glad you shared your frustrations because I'm starting to be frustrated with my frustration. It's Newton's law- I should have just stayed in motion because the amount of energy it is taking to get me moving again is draining. Thank you for letting me know I'm not alone in this!

This picture is why I did the catch up. I saw it on instagram and had to get on the DIS to say HELLO- your bod in ON POINT in this shot. The clothes, the angle, the yoga, the running- whatever it is you are doing, you look great.

June 27 - July 3

Monday, June 27

2-mile run today on the treadmill. It was awful.

Tuesday, June 28
3-mile run today on the treamdill. It was awful.

Wednesday, June 29
Supposed to be speedwork...I had been dreading Monday's and Tuesday's runs, but I got them done. But I'd been dreading this run more...mentally I was done before I even started. I made it 0.65 miles before I quit. UGHH!!

I had a chat with Billy via PM about it (turns out in addition to making training plans, he is also a decent sports psychologist!). He sent me the new plan. I had a good talk with Mr. A as well...so helpful to have his support. :)

Thursday, June 30
REST DAY. YES, VERY MUCH NEEDED YES.

Friday, July 1 - 30 minute run @ Effort 1 + yoga
So, my running break did not last long! I had my new plan and I was ready! I did my 30 minute run at a very easy pace and I did a good job of not looking at my watch...except when it buzzed to let me know that I'd gone a mile. I'd forgotten to turn the auto-lap feature off! So I did see my pace for this run. But whatever. I think I did what I was supposed to - kept the pace nice and easy and didn't feel like I was putting in much effort. I still struggled a bit with wanting to quit, but I kept at it. It was nice, and a nice feeling to end the run and know that I did exactly what I was supposed to do, whatever the numbers said. :)

Mr. A has also been training!! I made a 10K training plan for him and he left for his run a little bit before I left for mine.

And then...and then...

We went to yoga.

Yes, WE. Mr. A came to yoga with me! A yoga date! :lovestruc

I have been bugging him to try a class for awhile. He is so not flexible that it's alarming to me sometimes, and he too suffers from back issues. He's also been a little stressed lately, so I thought maybe yoga would be good for him.

The verdict? He liked it! And he's been saying things like "next time we go," etc. Success! Namaste, y'all! :thumbsup2

Saturday, July 2 - 45 minute run @ Effort 2
Eek. 45 minutes is a long time to someone who is struggling to even get started these days. Might a new cute outfit help?!
27990064541_85e29bbf34_z.jpg

(Yes, new cute outfit helps.) :)

Nice weather for this run! I think the temperature was about 66 with overcast skies. A little humid due to some early-morning rain, but for July, this was heavenly.

This run was pretty good! Again, I struggled with how long it was and I sort of found it a challenge to settling into a pace that seemed not-too-fast, not-too-slow, but it did go well. I did look at my overall pace for this run, and it was actually way faster than I expected - and 1:20/mile faster than yesterday. :scratchin I reported in to Coach @DopeyBadger and he gave me the thumbs-up, so I'm just gonna go with it! I REFUSE to let this make me feel crappy any longer...it's just not worth it!!

Also...we did some yardwork today. I HATE yardwork, but our formerly empty front flower bed has shrubs in it! I mentioned earlier that we got some landscaping quotes as a romantic anniversary gift to one another - DO YOU KNOW HOW EXPENSIVE LANDSCAPING IS?! :faint: Seriously, they wanted like $3K to do our flowerbeds. I can go to Disney for that! NOPE.

Sunday, July 3 - yoga
So, I mention the yardwork because I was DRAINED today for yoga. Compared to Friday, I felt like such a weakling today! Ah well.

Something else I did today - make muesli! This is my favorite breakfast item in Cabanas on the Disney ships (it's similar to oatmeal, but it's cold, chewy and has a little more liquid), and I found the recipe about 2 months ago. Not exactly health food (1 cup of heavy cream! 1 cup of honey! :rotfl2:) But it's soooo good. I altered the recipe a bit to add fruits and nuts that I like, and it turned out sooooooo deliciously. I think I'll cut down the honey to 0.75 cups next time, but overall...YUM!
28067212215_8eec59cf0f_z.jpg

Getting back on track over here! Yay! :yay:

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:

Just did a huge bajillion page catch up! Too much to comment on-AHHH! I pulled three things that so resonated with me because I know you value my input on your life above all things so it would be downright rude to not share.
I mean, obviously. ::yes::
First- everything in this picture is like Megan jealousy bait. So very very awesome- shirt, purse, location, shiny hair- love it all! Srsly! And yes, if you want to PM the Facebook group for inkNburn that you are on- I NEEDS me a BB-8 shirt like yesterday.
I'll PM you!! :)
DH and I have been talking about what we want to do for vacation 2017- we've realized we can take a Disney cruise out of Galveston with ourselves our four kids and a sitter for the same cost as taking ourselves and our two oldest over to Asia. On the one hand, turns out cruising is the exact vacation my husband wants- eating, drinking and napping. And everyone would get to go. On the other hand, my oldest sister is living in Japan and my two girls speak Mandarin and one of them also speaks Japanese and well, ALL of the Asian Disney theme parks! But I find it oddly intimidating to plan a trip for somewhere I know nothing about.
Eating, drinking, napping could be the title of a trip report for the cruise we just took - if I was doing a trip report. It was suuuuper relaxing.

That's a tough call. Like, I'm sure you want to see your sister, and seeing the Asian Disney parks would be amazing, but so would getting to vacation with your whole family. It's a good choice to have to make, but a tough one!
Right here is the last six months for me. I'm not going to be too dramatic but life has been kind of hard for me this last year and instead of being all Warrior Princess and taking all issues head on, I've kind of just gone into a depressed stupor and my running has suffered.
Me too. The first few months of this year were awful for me (due to the injury and some other stuff). I get the depressed stupor...it sucks.
Right now I hate running. there is no joy. I hate that I'm slow. I hate that I've gained weight. I hate that I am not where I was ability wise. To have such a backslide has sucked all joy out of it that I don't want to do it anymore.
Also me. :(

But it's always been frustrating to me that running seems to come so easily to others, and yet I have had to work so hard at it. I think that that is what has made this slowdown so upsetting for me - like, I spent years doing all of this hard work to get faster and get to where running felt good and I wasn't sore afterward anymore...and now all of that is gone. It's a huge blow and I'm to the point where, while I wish I were back to where I was again, I'm not sure I want to do all of that work again. :confused3
Which stinks because I have the frickin NYC marathon in November-this once in a lifetime opportunity to start training for next week and I just don't want to do it.
I can understand that. Training for a marathon is no joke.
I also did a 10k proof of time race a couple of weeks ago and I was so far off of where I used to be. I get it. I'm glad you shared your frustrations because I'm starting to be frustrated with my frustration. It's Newton's law- I should have just stayed in motion because the amount of energy it is taking to get me moving again is draining. Thank you for letting me know I'm not alone in this!
Yep. I barely want to do the races that I'm signed up for (except for the Disney ones - because Disney).

You're definitely not alone. Coming back after a break is soooo hard. I almost feel like this is harder for me than it was when I first started, because I have this added pressure of "this is how I used to be, why am I not back there yet?" Where before I had nowhere to go but up distance-wise and down pace-wise.
This picture is why I did the catch up. I saw it on instagram and had to get on the DIS to say HELLO- your bod in ON POINT in this shot. The clothes, the angle, the yoga, the running- whatever it is you are doing, you look great.
:rotfl2: Can't you tell I'm contorting myself to look skinnier?!

But thanks for saying that. :lovestruc Made my day!!

Last edited:
In my opinion, you never sound whiney...I come back to your thread when I need some encouragement. Anybody trying to do something hard has troubles. Most people aren't brave or transparent enough to post about it. Thank u thank u thank u! You inspired me to run my first marathon back in 2015!

BTW @DopeyBadger cracks me up. When he first designed a plan, I said "I don't run 4 days a week. That's too much." So my plan had me running 3 days a week. Last weekend I glanced at my plan. I've been running 4 days a week for the last 4 weeks and didn't even notice. It just snuck up on me.

Have a good week!

I love the new plan. @DopeyBadger rocks! I can definitely see the benefit of running blind. It kind of reminds me of a book I liked called, "Women, Food, and God," where she basically says you should get in tune with your body and it's hunger cues and simply eat when you are hungry and stop when you are not, instead of counting calories, etc. Running blind seems similar that you are trying to get in tune with your body instead of what the numbers tell you.

And you look so cute in your "new cute outfit" Very pretty!

Hi! :) Thank you for reading my reports, and for commenting here. Please let me know if you have any runDisney questions!! Have you picked/signed up for your first race yet?

Not yet ... i'm trying to work out all three of our schedules ... it looks like so much fun! We are a Disney family and have plans for next June already so I'm trying to squeeze in another trip :)

That's definitely something I will consider going forward. I used to swim a couple of times a week and we do have a pool at work...:scratchin

We have a pool at work too. It's so awesome to walk over and work out ... I used to go three times a week to swim 2000 yards. Like other exercise routines it's easy to burn out on so running has been a nice diversion for me. Maybe I should start biking again and maybe do a tri? :)

I'm only a little responding because I'm in the car, but I wanted to comment on the blind running.
I do blind running, kinda. I don't really have different effort levels, I just kinda go out and run at whatever effort feels good on that particular day. I usually run by time, and when I do run by distance (which is something I started doing on my longest runs a few months back, but I'm suspending for the summer), I always "estimate" that it will take me significantly longer than I think it will so that I'm never pressuring myself to go fast. I also do look at my pace, but I do it because I'm curious, and I don't let it affect my pacing.

Honestly, I think blind running is the only reason I will make it through the summer. It's so much easier to go out there and know that I'll be done in an hour, whether I make it 4 miles or 5.
The only problem I have is that because I do an out and back route, sometimes I turn around in the wrong place because my pace does change during the run sometimes. But it's really not a big deal. I think that if you're worried about what focusing on pace could do to you, blind running is definitely the way to go.

Just wanted to share that. I'll read through the rest of your plan tomorrow and I'm sure I'll have something else to say :)

That's a good point about the variety. Mostly I'd be worried about getting kicked in the face during the swim portion. I've never been a strong cyclist but maybe that's just because I never do it...

While there are certainly plenty of horror stories about people getting kicked, punched, and elbowed during the swim, most of which are true, it's fairly easy to avoid this from happening. For a mass start or wave start from the shore, you simply wait 30-45 seconds for everyone else to get going before starting your swim. This gives you relatively clear water and a lot fewer people around you during the swim. For a wave start in the water, line up to the outside of everyone else and wait 30 seconds or so before beginning to swim. I'm a fairly strong swimmer, and I still use both of these approaches. Why should I plan on getting into the scrum when I can give up a very minor bit of time for clear water and less people around me? :)

This is going to make me sound like a weirdo, but when I was doing my virtual 5K the other day I was hating doing the laps around my local park and I thought about how you said you do laps around a parking lot. It made me mentally whine a little less. :teeth:

Laps are no fun regardless of how big or small they are. It's mentally challenging to keep going around and around the same loop knowing you've still got a lot more of them to do. I ran a 50k once that was 10 laps of 5k each. The first five were fine as we all felt fresh and excited, and the last one was great because it was the last one. Laps 6-8 were a real struggle.

And for what it's worth, I do nearly all of my run training without a set pace in mind. Everything is by level of effort and heart rate. It takes some getting used to, but I think you'll find it's a lot more enjoyable, especially as the weather heats up and you naturally slow down.

Basically, I run based on perceived effort only, and for a certain amount of time, not distance. The catch is that I never look at what pace I am running - not during the run, not after the run.
When I took one of my first running hiatuses, this was exactly how my Dad (who was a running coach) got me back into it. Although he took it one step further, and forbid me my watch. I was just to go run at the perceived exertion levels, for as long (or as little) an amount of time, as I wanted. Now obviously this isn't practical if you have races planned, but it did bring back my pure enjoyment for the sport, when the pressure to "perform" or stick to a plan was removed.

Yes, new cute outfit helps.)
Those colours look fantastic on you!!! I can not believe how fast you get your orders, so jealous! But I am even more excited to get my "cute outfit" too!!!

All week, I have seriously been debating pulling the plug on running altogether...suddenly it is making me miserable.

latest

I read this post last week and I related so much to how you were feeling. Putting all this pressure on ourselves to run at a certain pace or even just to run at all takes the fun out of it and when one of the big reasons we run is to have a blast at Disney races it just makes you want to throw the towel in!

I’ve been really frustrated that I’ve been feeling so fed up with running lately and even more so when I read every one else’s training journals and wonder if I’m the only one feeling like this! So to draw some positive from your post I felt kinda relieved that someone else felt the same way!

The catch is that I never look at what pace I am running - not during the run, not after the run.

This is a great idea!! There's nothing worse than completing a distance you've set yourself for training and still feeling like you've failed because you aren't happy with your time. I think with the frustrations you've had this could be a really good way to go!

Eek. 45 minutes is a long time to someone who is struggling to even get started these days. Might a new cute outfit help?!
27990064541_85e29bbf34_z.jpg

(Yes, new cute outfit helps.) :)

YES!!! Cute new outfits always help! :D

Getting back on track over here! Yay! :yay:

Continued in Next Post

YAH!!! party:
(I would've went for the banana but I think we've really over done it with the jokes)

pp,220x200-pad,220x200,ffffff.jpg

201508_2007_eeigf_sm.jpg

0971839cfb0ccd15b2cc68870222426d.jpg

:P

Oh also... if you are feeling a bit fed up do remember.... it could be worse... you could be this guy
10.gif

or worse still...

this guy
tumblr_mnhyhvvpZn1s7evpeo1_400.gif

In my opinion, you never sound whiney...I come back to your thread when I need some encouragement. Anybody trying to do something hard has troubles. Most people aren't brave or transparent enough to post about it. Thank u thank u thank u! You inspired me to run my first marathon back in 2015!
I'm glad that I don't sound whiney. I feel like I sound like such a drama queen sometimes! And thanks for your nice comment, that means a lot. :)
BTW @DopeyBadger cracks me up. When he first designed a plan, I said "I don't run 4 days a week. That's too much." So my plan had me running 3 days a week. Last weekend I glanced at my plan. I've been running 4 days a week for the last 4 weeks and didn't even notice. It just snuck up on me.

Have a good week!
Oh yeah, he's sneaky like that. :eek: You have a good week, too! :yay:
I love the new plan. @DopeyBadger rocks! I can definitely see the benefit of running blind. It kind of reminds me of a book I liked called, "Women, Food, and God," where she basically says you should get in tune with your body and it's hunger cues and simply eat when you are hungry and stop when you are not, instead of counting calories, etc. Running blind seems similar that you are trying to get in tune with your body instead of what the numbers tell you.
Me too! I honestly didn't know that he could make such a "basic" plan like that, so that was a nice surprise.

I think I need to check out that book of yours. My cruise weight is sticking around. :eek:
And you look so cute in your "new cute outfit" Very pretty!
Thank you!! :)
Not yet ... i'm trying to work out all three of our schedules ... it looks like so much fun! We are a Disney family and have plans for next June already so I'm trying to squeeze in another trip :)
Yeah, it's tough to find a time that works if you have to consider school schedules and whatnot. But more trips are always a good thing!
We have a pool at work too. It's so awesome to walk over and work out ... I used to go three times a week to swim 2000 yards. Like other exercise routines it's easy to burn out on so running has been a nice diversion for me. Maybe I should start biking again and maybe do a tri? :)
Maybe, I mean - you're 2/3 of the way there already! :scratchin
I'm only a little responding because I'm in the car, but I wanted to comment on the blind running.
I do blind running, kinda. I don't really have different effort levels, I just kinda go out and run at whatever effort feels good on that particular day. I usually run by time, and when I do run by distance (which is something I started doing on my longest runs a few months back, but I'm suspending for the summer), I always "estimate" that it will take me significantly longer than I think it will so that I'm never pressuring myself to go fast. I also do look at my pace, but I do it because I'm curious, and I don't let it affect my pacing.
I think this is what I need to be doing. I have been so locked into focusing on pace to try to beat PRs or get good PoT and it's just not enjoyable anymore!
Honestly, I think blind running is the only reason I will make it through the summer. It's so much easier to go out there and know that I'll be done in an hour, whether I make it 4 miles or 5.
YES!! I love this part of it! That is a benefit that I didn't think about before I started this but I have liked that a lot!
The only problem I have is that because I do an out and back route, sometimes I turn around in the wrong place because my pace does change during the run sometimes. But it's really not a big deal. I think that if you're worried about what focusing on pace could do to you, blind running is definitely the way to go.
Focusing on pace has made me feel like crap, like I'm failing or something if I am not doing the paces correctly. So I definitely want to not do it for awhile.
Just wanted to share that. I'll read through the rest of your plan tomorrow and I'm sure I'll have something else to say :)
Thanks!! I've seriously never heard of anyone else doing this but apparently it's more common than I thought??
While there are certainly plenty of horror stories about people getting kicked, punched, and elbowed during the swim, most of which are true, it's fairly easy to avoid this from happening. For a mass start or wave start from the shore, you simply wait 30-45 seconds for everyone else to get going before starting your swim. This gives you relatively clear water and a lot fewer people around you during the swim. For a wave start in the water, line up to the outside of everyone else and wait 30 seconds or so before beginning to swim. I'm a fairly strong swimmer, and I still use both of these approaches. Why should I plan on getting into the scrum when I can give up a very minor bit of time for clear water and less people around me? :)
So simple, I never would have thought of that. But it totally makes sense. If I ever do a tri, not getting kicked, elbowed, etc. will definitely be a goal of mine. :)
Laps are no fun regardless of how big or small they are. It's mentally challenging to keep going around and around the same loop knowing you've still got a lot more of them to do. I ran a 50k once that was 10 laps of 5k each. The first five were fine as we all felt fresh and excited, and the last one was great because it was the last one. Laps 6-8 were a real struggle.
That sounds awful! I think I would have gone insane. I really feel like running laps is the only thing that makes a treadmill not seem quite so bad. :faint:
And for what it's worth, I do nearly all of my run training without a set pace in mind. Everything is by level of effort and heart rate. It takes some getting used to, but I think you'll find it's a lot more enjoyable, especially as the weather heats up and you naturally slow down.
I was thinking about the heart rate thing...makes me wonder if I should have gotten the Garmin FR 235 and switched to training by HR. That is something that I have never tried before. :confused3
When I took one of my first running hiatuses, this was exactly how my Dad (who was a running coach) got me back into it. Although he took it one step further, and forbid me my watch. I was just to go run at the perceived exertion levels, for as long (or as little) an amount of time, as I wanted. Now obviously this isn't practical if you have races planned, but it did bring back my pure enjoyment for the sport, when the pressure to "perform" or stick to a plan was removed.
That makes a lot of sense - and if I let go of any kind of time goals I have for these upcoming local races, all I have on my calendar are Disney races - and I NEVER have time goals at those. So why am I putting this pressure on myself??

I thought about ditching the watch entirely or not keeping track of my mileage...but I'm pretty anal about keeping track of how many miles I have on my shoes. So I don't think I can let the watch go completely. :confused3
Those colours look fantastic on you!!! I can not believe how fast you get your orders, so jealous! But I am even more excited to get my "cute outfit" too!!!
Thank you!! I'm so glad that you were able to order, I couldn't believe how quickly that top sold out! Eeeeek I hope you get yours soon! :yay:

:hug:

I read this post last week and I related so much to how you were feeling. Putting all this pressure on ourselves to run at a certain pace or even just to run at all takes the fun out of it and when one of the big reasons we run is to have a blast at Disney races it just makes you want to throw the towel in!
Yes, exactly! It's not fun!
’ve been really frustrated that I’ve been feeling so fed up with running lately and even more so when I read every one else’s training journals and wonder if I’m the only one feeling like this! So to draw some positive from your post I felt kinda relieved that someone else felt the same way!
Yeah, I thought I was the only one feeling this way here on the DIS too, but apparently I'm not! It makes me feel a little better. :)
This is a great idea!! There's nothing worse than completing a distance you've set yourself for training and still feeling like you've failed because you aren't happy with your time. I think with the frustrations you've had this could be a really good way to go!
I'm trying to stick to it! I did look at my pace again today when I was done and it was slower than my last "effort 1" run - and for a second I was just like, "crap." So I'm really gonna try hard to not look at it, at all. Because really, who cares?!
YES!!! Cute new outfits always help! :D
YESSSSS, shopping eases the pain.
YAH!!! party:
(I would've went for the banana but I think we've really over done it with the jokes)

pp,220x200-pad,220x200,ffffff.jpg

201508_2007_eeigf_sm.jpg

0971839cfb0ccd15b2cc68870222426d.jpg

:P
201411_1054_fhafg_sm.png

HAHAHAHA this one was too perfect!!
Oh also... if you are feeling a bit fed up do remember.... it could be worse... you could be this guy
10.gif

or worse still...

this guy
tumblr_mnhyhvvpZn1s7evpeo1_400.gif
Oh man, and the guitar falling is just icing on the cake for the top guy.

Bottom guy - what even is that contraption?! I think it's for pilates but it looks like he was just doomed from the start!! :eek:

I'm trying to stick to it! I did look at my pace again today when I was done and it was slower than my last "effort 1" run - and for a second I was just like, "crap." So I'm really gonna try hard to not look at it, at all. Because really, who cares?!

Just going to jump in here, but this is an important point. Honestly, there is no such thing as comparing paces with this plan based on perceived effort. As long as you feel as though the effort was the same in each run then the pace is a function of that but not the definition of it. If you feel the need to keep an eye on pace = effort in post-runs maybe you could have Mr. A as the only one allowed to look. If he feels you're really deviating from one run to the next he can say so. But otherwise, it's best to continue to stay blind to the paces during and post-run. I do believe you will be pleasantly surprised by the results at the end of this session, but optimally you stay blind to everything for the next few weeks. You're doing great!

And yes, @dmross I have been known to be sneaky every once in a while... :D I think it comes from the standpoint that as an outsider I can see your guy's true potential. My goal is for you to see that true potential and meet that true potential as well. Whatever that may mean in life.

Mr. A has also been training!! I made a 10K training plan for him and he left for his run a little bit before I left for mine.

And then...and then...

We went to yoga.

Yes, WE. Mr. A came to yoga with me! A yoga date! :lovestruc

You're such a bad (good?) influence on him!

I have been waiting so long for this picture. As soon as I saw this outfit, I had to see if you were planning to get it. It really is super cute, and it looks awesome on you!
(Secret: I really thought about buying it because I love it so much. But since I don't wear sleeveless (ever) and the skirt is too short for me ... no point. But really, I wanted it so badly!)

Something else I did today - make muesli! This is my favorite breakfast item in Cabanas on the Disney ships (it's similar to oatmeal, but it's cold, chewy and has a little more liquid), and I found the recipe about 2 months ago. Not exactly health food (1 cup of heavy cream! 1 cup of honey! :rotfl2:) But it's soooo good. I altered the recipe a bit to add fruits and nuts that I like, and it turned out sooooooo deliciously. I think I'll cut down the honey to 0.75 cups next time, but overall...YUM!

So ... I've never tried muesli, but from what I've heard ... apparently you can actually make it into a really healthy meal. There are a ton of good recipes out there - may not be exactly the same as having it on the ship, but you can probably find something that's really healthy and really delicious if you're willing to research and experiment a bit.

But it's always been frustrating to me that running seems to come so easily to others, and yet I have had to work so hard at it. I think that that is what has made this slowdown so upsetting for me - like, I spent years doing all of this hard work to get faster and get to where running felt good and I wasn't sore afterward anymore...and now all of that is gone. It's a huge blow and I'm to the point where, while I wish I were back to where I was again, I'm not sure I want to do all of that work again. :confused3

Okay. This is something I need to respond to, because it's something I finally just understood recently.
Running doesn't come easily to anyone. If anyone tells you that running came easy to them, they're either lying to you or lying to themselves. It's hard for everyone at the beginning, it's just that some people don't really grasp how hard it is. And I think that it's also really hard for people to share how hard it is for them, and because the "running community" (which is a phrase I hate using, but that's a story for a different time) is one where sharing your struggles isn't always encouraged, people tend to act like it's easier than it is, which makes other people feel like it's wrong that they're struggling and really creates a bad cycle. But it's really important to remember that everyone struggles, and you're definitely not the only one who has a hard time with running sometimes.
I think that with time you can learn to make it easy for yourself. But you have to work really hard to make it easy.

I kinda both love and hate the fact that runners like to come together to talk about running.
I love that runners like to help each other and share information, because you never know when your experience can help someone else solve a problem or become a better runner.
However ... intentionally or not, it's easy to make someone else feel bad when you talk about your running accomplishments, and that's what I hate about it. This happens to me a lot with pace issues - a few months back I saw someone complaining about their time for a race, and while I understood that they were just upset because they know they can do better, the way it was being said kinda rubbed me the wrong way. Intentionally or not, it's easy to say things in a way that makes others feel bad, and while that's not a reason to stop talking about your accomplishments (or your failures), it is something that I think people need to be a bit more considerate of.

Anyway ... that was your Sarah rant for the week, you can now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

Just going to jump in here, but this is an important point. Honestly, there is no such thing as comparing paces with this plan based on perceived effort. As long as you feel as though the effort was the same in each run then the pace is a function of that but not the definition of it. If you feel the need to keep an eye on pace = effort in post-runs maybe you could have Mr. A as the only one allowed to look. If he feels you're really deviating from one run to the next he can say so. But otherwise, it's best to continue to stay blind to the paces during and post-run. I do believe you will be pleasantly surprised by the results at the end of this session, but optimally you stay blind to everything for the next few weeks. You're doing great!
That is a great idea for Mr. A to check on things for me...so simple. :) Thank you for checking in!!
You're such a bad (good?) influence on him!
Definitely bad in some ways but I'd like to think mostly good! :)
I have been waiting so long for this picture. As soon as I saw this outfit, I had to see if you were planning to get it. It really is super cute, and it looks awesome on you!
(Secret: I really thought about buying it because I love it so much. But since I don't wear sleeveless (ever) and the skirt is too short for me ... no point. But really, I wanted it so badly!)
Thank you! :) This was clearly a really popular design for them (the tops were gone in 2-3 hours!) so I'm hoping it'll come back with short sleeves or long sleeves. that would be awesome!
So ... I've never tried muesli, but from what I've heard ... apparently you can actually make it into a really healthy meal. There are a ton of good recipes out there - may not be exactly the same as having it on the ship, but you can probably find something that's really healthy and really delicious if you're willing to research and experiment a bit.
Ha, I really should do that! I'd be afraid to calculate the calories on the version that I made...it's funny because I was so proud of myself for eating a "healthy" breakfast on the cruise ships, and then I actually read the ingredients! Oops!!
Okay. This is something I need to respond to, because it's something I finally just understood recently.
Running doesn't come easily to anyone. If anyone tells you that running came easy to them, they're either lying to you or lying to themselves. It's hard for everyone at the beginning, it's just that some people don't really grasp how hard it is. And I think that it's also really hard for people to share how hard it is for them, and because the "running community" (which is a phrase I hate using, but that's a story for a different time) is one where sharing your struggles isn't always encouraged, people tend to act like it's easier than it is, which makes other people feel like it's wrong that they're struggling and really creates a bad cycle. But it's really important to remember that everyone struggles, and you're definitely not the only one who has a hard time with running sometimes.
I think that with time you can learn to make it easy for yourself. But you have to work really hard to make it easy.
I'm sure that you are right. The particular people I'm thinking of are active in other ways and seem to just be able to pick up running very easily. I guess just "being active" is enough for them, but it's not like they were just sitting on the couch and decided to run one day. :confused3

I do think you're right that people are reluctant to talk about when they struggle. That is definitely true.
I kinda both love and hate the fact that runners like to come together to talk about running.
Same! I blab here in this thread, but not much elsewhere. Maybe because I feel I can control the dialogue a little more, maybe because I'm an over-sharer...maybe both?
I love that runners like to help each other and share information, because you never know when your experience can help someone else solve a problem or become a better runner.
Also true. I have gotten lots of help and encouragement here! :)
However ... intentionally or not, it's easy to make someone else feel bad when you talk about your running accomplishments, and that's what I hate about it. This happens to me a lot with pace issues - a few months back I saw someone complaining about their time for a race, and while I understood that they were just upset because they know they can do better, the way it was being said kinda rubbed me the wrong way. Intentionally or not, it's easy to say things in a way that makes others feel bad, and while that's not a reason to stop talking about your accomplishments (or your failures), it is something that I think people need to be a bit more considerate of.
YES YES YES. I try really hard to talk carefully about pace and whatnot, and make it clear that I'm talking about relative to myself and myself only, but I totally get what you are saying. Reading things like that has made me feel awful in the past, and sometimes it still does.
Anyway ... that was your Sarah rant for the week, you can now return to your regularly scheduled programming.
I like your rants. I think you and I think the same on a lot of things, but you word it better than I do. :)

Hey again. I've just got to clarify something. It must seem weird for total internet strangers to tell you that you inspired them in one way or another. And I hate being weird, so here's the story.

Back in early 2012, I was in a running rut. It was worse than a rut, and I had many of the same thoughts we've all had during those down times. I found myself goofing off on the Disboards because I'm such a Disney fan. Thread after thread led me here and there until I found your Trip reports. And let me say you have a gift for journaling... that's what got me started on your TR's. They are just fun. There are dog pictures in all the right places, as well as shopping tips. Your photos are great as well.

Not everybody is gifted with journaling. Exhibit A:upload_2016-7-5_12-41-12.png

Not inspiring. Rather utilitarian, not even close to my training plan at that time, and scribbly.

At the right time back then, your TR's gave me just enough oomph to enjoy getting back out on the road. I just needed some time to relax and remember that running is for me... it always has been for me. Whether I'm walk/running or trying to better my times, it's something that adds depth to my life.

Finding a Disney fan forum with runDisney TR's is icing on the cake. I appreciate those of you on the Disboards who have this TR gift!!

Thanks for your TR's, and hang in there. Running, like life, is cyclical.

Attachments

• upload_2016-7-5_12-38-58.png
    upload_2016-7-5_12-38-58.png
    945.7 KB · Views: 1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter