• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

5th Wheel or Class A...and why?

We found our on e-bay, but the dealer was Sun Coast RV in Valdosta, GA. I e-mailed the dealer, told them I didn't like the bidding thing and what was the "best" price they would take. It was thousands less than the blue book so I e-mailed them back and told them we wanted it. Through several e-mails we ordered the hitch, etc. They had a KOA on the same property and we stayed there for two days working with their service dept to get the little things (drawer slides, etc.) fixed. They are a great bunch of people to work with and we were very happy to make the trip. They aren't a Titanium dealer, just had one in on trade. Don't think I'd have done the e-bay thing had it been a person, but with a dealer (I did some research on the dealership online also) I felt pretty good about doing it, but, again, I was working with them through e-mail long before we left to pick it up. If it's a dealer, go ahead and contact them, ask questions.

I am pretty sure that we drive past Sun Coast RV on our way to WDW. I'll have to check out their website and see what they have. They are only about a 3 1/2 hour drive from here. I agree with you about the whole bidding thing. I don't like it either. The one that I kept watching yesterday ended up going without anyone bidding on it, and I think it was because of the lack of feedback on the seller.

The reason that we are not considering a TT, is because we have a good friend that has a TT and he recommended that we don't go that route. He said that he has difficulty towing his TT with his Ford F-250. He said that his next RV will be a 5th wheel. The reason we can't decide between the two is because we have seen a lot of MHs that we liked and we currently don't have a big truck like we will need to tow the 5th wheel. We're still trying to decide!

Most will tell you that a 5er will tow better than a TT, like others have said the weight and length are distributed differently and each have a different feel. I will say that with the right truck AND the right hitch properly adjusted a travel trailer is not the white knuckle ride some people portray it to be. The trick is to do your homework and know what you need before you need it.
My trailer is rated as 32 ft, the body alone is 32, add on the back bumper and the tongue and its well over 35ft. My entire truck and trailer are about 57 ft long. I have experience driving large trucks and have been doing it since I was in my teens (a long time ago) so a lot will depend on your comfort level and amount of experience.
5ers are not without their pitfalls either, my Aunt and Uncle bought a new ext cab SB GMC pickup and a 5er last year and managed to jacknife it trying to turn around at my Moms house, this is a man that drove large trucks and had a class 1 CDL with a hazmat rating so he wasnt a newbie either, just wasnt used to the 5er.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter