5th Annual Christmas Shopping Thread

We've started the buying!

DD4 turn 5 in Dec, so we are buying for both her birthday and Christmas. For her bday, I ordered her a subscription to Kiwi Crates. Every month they send you a box with one or two projects and all of the supplies. I'm very excited to receive our first crate.

That looks really neat. I wonder if there's anything out there for slightly older kids? My DD would love getting her own crafts in the mail each month. :goodvibes

Just started shopping. DD4 is into Doc McStuffins so I stocked up on all the Doc stuff.

Other DD8, is harder this year. Last year it was the iPad and it seems that is a hard one to top.

That looks really neat. I wonder if there's anything out there for slightly older kids? My DD would love getting her own crafts in the mail each month. :goodvibes

Mine too. I just looked at their website and everything seems geared toward the younger kids. I did email them to ask though. My DD would LOVE something like this!

I know part of the Kiwi Crate fun is getting the box in the mail, but I've decided to make my DD5 a science kit. I found the idea on Pinterest, and it seems that I can find everything at the Dollar Tree. She loves science, and I think she'll enjoy it! You could adapt a kit to include anything you want, and it may cost less than Kiwi Crate. Just an idea! :)

Okay, everyone...62 days until Christmas! How's everyone doing?
I am in need of advice. My son is 7, and we have enough toys here to start our own toy store. I would like to buy him a mp3 player for his few CDs. I am not, however, willing to shell out $160 for an iPod because, quite frankly, he can't even keep track of his own shoes. Has anyone used any of the cheap mp3 players with any success? Which ones?

I know part of the Kiwi Crate fun is getting the box in the mail, but I've decided to make my DD5 a science kit. I found the idea on Pinterest, and it seems that I can find everything at the Dollar Tree. She loves science, and I think she'll enjoy it! You could adapt a kit to include anything you want, and it may cost less than Kiwi Crate. Just an idea! :)

What did you put in your kit?

I am in need of advice. My son is 7, and we have enough toys here to start our own toy store. I would like to buy him a mp3 player for his few CDs. I am not, however, willing to shell out $160 for an iPod because, quite frankly, he can't even keep track of his own shoes. Has anyone used any of the cheap mp3 players with any success? Which ones?

All four of my kids have cheap MP3 players. Different brands, sizes and have not had a single issue with any of them.

Why don't you get him the ipod shuffle. It's only 49 dollars. That way if he loses it you won't be out 200.00! I consider that cheap, don't know about you though. It's not a touch screen so that can't be cracked.

I've been following this thread from the beginning, and love all the ideas I'm getting for my DD5. Every year, I try to adhere to the "want,need,wear,read" concept from us, and 3 gifts from Santa. But boy, it's getting tough to stop shopping for her, I have so many wonderful ideas (or so I think). Thankfully, her birthday's in February, so I'll be able to split this stuff up between Christmas and her birthday.

So far, I have...
Baby Butterscotch
Friends Legos (the Horse stable and the Riding School)
Madagascar 3 BlueRay
Furby
and the big one, Nintendo 3DS XL...
plus little stuff to fill her stocking and round out the categories above.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend 3DS or DS games for a 5, almost 6 yo girl? We're going to disable the 3D feature in the beginning, so the 3D part isn't necessary for right now. She loves horses and Kindergarten. I just want to get 2 - 3 games for her to open up, so she can play right away. Then we will let her pick her own games after that. I've read that Mario Party is a good one? Any suggestions?? Are there any accessories we need to get right away, or can we live with the system as is?

Thanks - Brenda

There are some games that require very little reading which makes it easier for the kids to play by themselves. Can she read? What is she into?

There are I believe 3 different learning Games from Sesame Street
The Dora games are good also.
The games like Mario Bros etc are just traditional video games.
There are the cooking mama and baby mama games
There are also quite a few of nickelodeon game team umizoomi,
lalaloopsy pinkalicious silverlicious are
cute
squinkies littlest pet shop, and barbie are good for that age range.
There are a few Disney Games but they always seem to require reading and no voice instructions

Most of the games for that age are in the 19.99 section and go on sale for bogo for %40 off or sometimes 50% off. If they are new they will be about 29.99 but if you can wait they drop in price right after christmas.

For the past 2 years Tys R Us has released Christmas games that go with the old fashioned shows. Santa Clause is Coming to Town and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer were the last 2 years.

Good luck let us know what you pick:cheer2:

Also, if you have a Kohl's card, they sell DS games. I got Lalaloopsy and Plants vs Zombies (don't ask, my kids are really into zombies) from there- on sale for $21.95, used the code HARVEST30 for 30% off and then SHIP2MVC for free shipping. Got 2 for $30 that way and they had a pretty good selection. (If you don't have a card you won't get the free shipping, but you should be able to get 30%!).

There are some games that require very little reading which makes it easier for the kids to play by themselves. Can she read? What is she into?

There are I believe 3 different learning Games from Sesame Street
The Dora games are good also.
The games like Mario Bros etc are just traditional video games.
There are the cooking mama and baby mama games
There are also quite a few of nickelodeon game team umizoomi,
lalaloopsy pinkalicious silverlicious are
cute
squinkies littlest pet shop, and barbie are good for that age range.
There are a few Disney Games but they always seem to require reading and no voice instructions

Most of the games for that age are in the 19.99 section and go on sale for bogo for %40 off or sometimes 50% off. If they are new they will be about 29.99 but if you can wait they drop in price right after christmas.

For the past 2 years Tys R Us has released Christmas games that go with the old fashioned shows. Santa Clause is Coming to Town and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer were the last 2 years.

Good luck let us know what you pick:cheer2:

Thanks Figment41! You gave some great ideas, like Littlest Pet Shop, Barbie, Team Umizoomi... I think I'll keep an eye out for a few of these titles, and then let her pick her own after she gets the system. I'm really just trying to avoid spending 29.99 on a game she has no interest in, but finding these older titles on sale would be wonderful! ToysRUs has all video games on sale this week, so I might have to make a trip over there.

Thanks again - Brenda :santa:

Also, if you have a Kohl's card, they sell DS games. I got Lalaloopsy and Plants vs Zombies (don't ask, my kids are really into zombies) from there- on sale for $21.95, used the code HARVEST30 for 30% off and then SHIP2MVC for free shipping. Got 2 for $30 that way and they had a pretty good selection. (If you don't have a card you won't get the free shipping, but you should be able to get 30%!).

Thanks ehough! I forgot about Kohl's... I just got a 30% off in the mail, so need to head over there tonight... In the meantime, I can check out the website, and maybe save myself a trip!!

Thanks again - Brenda :goodvibes

All four of my kids have cheap MP3 players. Different brands, sizes and have not had a single issue with any of them.

My DD got a cheap one from Target last Christmas and we have had no problems. It was around $20.

I got some more shopping done today. My DD wanted an outfit from Gymboree and I try to wait for a good sale as there stuff is not cheap. Well they are having a sale plus I had an extra $20 off so I was able to get her the outfit she wanted and her Christmas PJ's. I also cashed in some points and got DH a Panera and Amazon Gift card.

I have everyone's lists so now I just need good sales. :goodvibes

Thanks, all. And I was looking more at the $20 price range. I wouldn't mind spending the $50 for the iPod shuffle if I thought he'd be able to find it two days after Christmas, but he has to show me he's responsible enough first. Then I may spend the money. That's how my parents did it, and well...I guess you can't take that out of a girl.

Thanks, all. And I was looking more at the $20 price range. I wouldn't mind spending the $50 for the iPod shuffle if I thought he'd be able to find it two days after Christmas, but he has to show me he's responsible enough first. Then I may spend the money. That's how my parents did it, and well...I guess you can't take that out of a girl.

That's exactly what we did with DD. She got a cheap iPod shuffle (refurbed) and when she proved she was responsible with that, we upgraded to the iPod touch when she asked for that for her birthday. You're not alone :)

I noticed Target had a lot of new toys out today. I didn't have time to look but I'm planning to take the kids back this weekend to hopefully get ideas for the grandparents.

PBK came out with a 15% off code so I called my mom and ordered the doll canopy bed my dd wants. Hoping I'll get more of my shopping done this week too!

Glad everyone's finding such great deals! I am officially done with everyone -- feels really good to say that :thumbsup2

My girls all love mocassins from Payless, they are on sale right now, $15.99 for children sizes and $16.99 for adults. Have them shipped to your local store for free, and use code 78443 for an extra 20% off. Just ordered 3 pair for $42.00 w/tax! Great deal!

Thank you!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter