• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

$54,000 Vet bill, would you do it for your pet?

Jeafl

<font color=red>Has an emergency auto hammer & kno
My niece has had a new horse since February. The horse is a Thoroughbred, but does not race anymore. She is strictly for riding and jumping in horse shows now.

Back in March the horse got something called Colic. I guess it is where the horses's intestines get twisted up for no reason (as I understand it, I could be wrong). The horse needed surgery, which entailed cutting her open with about a 2 foot incision so the Equine vet could manually untwist the intestines. She had the surgery, then needed to be in an Equine hospital to the tune of $400 a day for about a month for partial recovery. Since then she has had various complications, including several infections, and had to be opened up once more. She is still not able to be ridden, and may not be for another couple of months or so.

So far the bills for the horse are $54,000. My sister only had insurance in case the horse died, not for medical. Don't ask me why, because I don't know. Now they are faced with huge bills which puts a huge strain on the household, as you can imagine.

Would you have had the surgery done? At what point do you just call it a day with a pet? I understand that a horse is not a pet like a cat or a dog, but still...

Personally? No, I wouldn't put that amount of money into vet bills. Your poor sister.

For me, it wouldn't even be a question as long as the money was readily available. My animals are like my kids to me and I'm one of "those" people who treats them like family.
That being said, if it started to interfere with being able to take care of my human family, I would have to make a really tough decision to set a limit.
I don't have an arbitrary amount, but if we had given up every luxury and were about to start cutting into the bare necessities for living, it would be time. :sad1:

Just took my dog to the vet last week for what I thought was a pulled muscle. It was a torn ACL. She had surgery on Monday and so far, with the surgery, vet visit, meds, ramp for the car, comfy cone, etc...it's cost me almost $3000. I went in with the mindset of meds or night night. Couldn't do it...so $3000 later, here I am. The worst part is that they think her other leg is torn too and want surgery on that in 6 weeks. I plan to hold out a bit and see how she does from this one, first.

Don't know that I'd do $54,000.

Would I pay $54,000 for vet care for my pet? In a word, NO. I love my dog. He is a sweet and wonderful pet, but $54,000? Nope. $5,400 would be stretching it. I don’t even know where I would come up with that kind of money – even if I refinanced my house. Wow. It’s sad to say, but they would have been better of putting the horse down. :(

Heck no. I'd put my pet down instead of paying that. it's ridiculous.

Or, if I had an animal like a horse, I probably would have gotten animal health insurance.

So far the bills for the horse are $54,000. My sister only had insurance in case the horse died, not for medical. Don't ask me why, because I don't know. Now they are faced with huge bills which puts a huge strain on the household, as you can imagine.

Would you have had the surgery done? At what point do you just call it a day with a pet? I understand that a horse is not a pet like a cat or a dog, but still...

When the cost of care for a pet is threatening to take food from my table and shoes off my children's feet, I have to call a halt to the care. There is no way in heaven and earth that i would spend $54,000 on a pet, horse or otherwise. I can't even imagine how much pain this horse has been in all these months. :sad2:

Curious to know...how old is your niece?

To answer your question, I would never spend that much.

No freaking way! The horse won't be capable of jumping when all is done. They may not be able to ride it again. They will have a large, expensive pet to feed.

No.

That's one reason we don't have pets right now. I'd feel horrible if money kept me from taking good care of my animals, but honestly I just couldn't justify spending that kind of money--not to mention I simply don't have $50,000 in spare cash right now.

Guess it depends on how old the horse is and if I had an extra 50k to burn.

One thing I do know is I should have been a large animal vet.

I will say that I wouldn't put any elderly or adult animal through chemo or any other painful options to only extend their live a year or so. Its hard but its harder on the animal.

Absolutly not, NO WAY! That's crazy, I agree the poor horse was probably in alot of pain and it would have been better off for the horse to be put down anyways.

No,but I honestly wonder who is your niece keeping the horse alive for her or the horse? I love my dog and he is the light of our life, but if he needed that kind of vet care, more than likely it would only be to extend his life. I have already been there and done that and Spike died anyway. I would never be selfish again with my dogs health. If it is his time to go, I will hold him and say goodbye and let him go to heaven. This horse sounds like it is in a lot of pain, and expensive care is a crapshoot, the outcome may still be euthanasia. Honestly, spending that kind of money and then having to say goodbye only makes things worse. I know as when my credit card bill came for Spikes final care, it only made the whole in my heart bigger.

I simply wouldn't have $54K to spend nor would I go into debt for it either.

I think my ceiling on pet medical expenses would be around $2K.

Even if I had $54,000 lying in a room full of millions, my answer would still be no.

It's heartbreaking to lose a beloved pet, but no I would not spend that much on vet bills. It would just be an irresponsible financial move for my family.
I feel bad for your niece.

I cannot justify spending more than I make in a year on an animal, even if they are like my babies.

That being said, I have been in a situation where the dog had torsion (which I guess is similar to colic, his insides were twisted in a knot). The surgery was several thousand dollars and we did it. Here's why:

1. I had that amount in savings.
2. The dog is very young.
3. The vet had every expectation of him surviving and continuing to thrive (and he has).

If at least two of those three had not been there, I would have chosen differently. That's my criteria for calling it a day. I am not going to allow my budget to be stretched to the breaking point or opt for a surgery that is iffy or might prolong my animal's pain. It's not a choice I envy and my thoughts are with your niece.

Well I always had insurance on my horses (for this reason! Vet care for them is insane!). If the horse had a good chance or survival, I'd probably pay it. I'd spend 10s of 1000s on my dog if she had a good chance of survival.

Only if I were a billionaire. Which I'm not. I like animals and all, a lot, but they aren't the same to me as people at all, not by a long shot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter