5'3 & over 300lbs...CA Screamin & Space Mountain off limits?

charlene74

Earning My Ears
I know I'm fat and big chested/butted/stomach. I've been doing weight watchers and have lost 40lbs, was 340 and now at 300. I was really hoping to be way smaller by now, but it just didn't happen for a variety of reasons. Anyways, now that our trip is here and we leave tomorrow, I'm starting to have some panic issues regarding rides and my weight.

I know Screamin is a shoulder bar...like I said, I am big chested and have a big stomach. Should I just not even attempt this ride?

what about space mountain? Is that more doable or something to avoid?

I am starting to get very nervous and now my excitement is starting to turn to nerves that I get there and just won't have any fun in terms of rides. I'll have fun with the characters but I am just starting to feel I won't have fun on the rides.

If anyone has any advice about the rides that really should be avoided, I'd absolutely appreciate it.

Thanks everyone!
Charlene:scared:

First of all, congratulations on the 40 lbs lost!!! You're on your way, girl! Keep up the good work! The battle of weight loss isn't an easy one. I've recently lost weight myself.

And second, stop worrying and panicking. You are going to Disneyland and even if there are a few rides that might be uncomfortable or hard for you to fit in, there are SO MANY MORE that you will have NO PROBLEM with!

One of my cousins is about your size, a little taller, and doesn't ride Screamin because of the over the shoulders restraints but she does ride Space. Just take it slow getting in and make sure you pull the seatbelt out before you sit down.

There are a lot of threads on here about big people at DLR. Do a search and I'm sure you'll find a lot of info and encouragement.

Most important! Ride Pirates, Haunted, Small World, gee there are so many you will be fine in...have fun!!!!!!

I know I'm fat and big chested/butted/stomach. I've been doing weight watchers and have lost 40lbs, was 340 and now at 300. I was really hoping to be way smaller by now, but it just didn't happen for a variety of reasons. Anyways, now that our trip is here and we leave tomorrow, I'm starting to have some panic issues regarding rides and my weight.

I know Screamin is a shoulder bar...like I said, I am big chested and have a big stomach. Should I just not even attempt this ride?

what about space mountain? Is that more doable or something to avoid?

I am starting to get very nervous and now my excitement is starting to turn to nerves that I get there and just won't have any fun in terms of rides. I'll have fun with the characters but I am just starting to feel I won't have fun on the rides.

If anyone has any advice about the rides that really should be avoided, I'd absolutely appreciate it.

Thanks everyone!
Charlene:scared:

You should be fine with either. The shoulder bar will adjust to any size.

Thank you all so much! Just been so nervous today about it. My DH said, once we get there and I see someone my size riding the rides, I'll probably relax. But I will now just go and try to have the best vacation ever. It's gonna be me, DH and our cute dog, who will be at the kennel.

We leave in less than 12 hours!!!!

Just be warned that on Space they rush you to get in and out quickly. Big or not, that can be hard to do for some. Just take your time and try not to let it bother you.

I always feel rushed too on Space Mountain!

I am not the smallest person either but the only attraction I have ever really had a problem with "fit" is the Silly Symphony Swings. I thought my butt wasn't going to come out of that swing :scared:

I find that the Astro Orbiter is the hardest attraction to get out of with the way it is kind of tipped over!

You will be fine! Don't worry about it and have fun!

You should be fine with either. The shoulder bar will adjust to any size.

Any size? Hmm. DH is taller and bigger, and can ride, but it is difficult. He has gotten stuck with an arm in the air twice and the attendant has to release the restraints for everyone so DH can start over.

Space is a really tight squeeze.

Only thing DH absolutely can't ride is Sky School and the former Maliboomer.

Your height is going to make the proportions different, and try to not compare yourself to a taller person because of that.

The only ride I had issues with was the turnstyle thing at Snow White...it was a tight sqeeze to get through. Also, the very back seat in Splash Mountain is the best place to sit:) its like a bench seat..very roomy and easy to get in and out of. I think someone mentioned pulling out the seatbelt before you sit down on rides that have belts..I got that advice from this boards before our trip to WDW and I am so glad I did..it worked like a charm! HAVE FUN!!!! We leave in 3 days:cheer2:

Oh you'll be just fine! The main issue on Space is the leg room, so if you are not reeeeally long legged, you'll be a-ok, and as far as screamin goes, my hubs is a big guy and he has no problems with screamin at all. The shoulder bar will just click down as much as it will go and you are good! :thumbsup2 Have a BLAST and congrats on the 40lbs lost! GO YOU!!

Just be warned that on Space they rush you to get in and out quickly. Big or not, that can be hard to do for some. Just take your time and try not to let it bother you.

Space Mountain is run on a 30 second turn around for each car. This means that the people in the car have basically 15 seconds to get out, and the people coming in have the other 15..and yes it is fast. If it is delayed, unfortunately, the whole system shuts down and has to be reset which takes on average about 10-15 min. So, if you do need extra time to get into the ride, for whatever limitation you may have, try talking to City Hall about getting a GAC for needing more time to transfer into rides. This is why DL has the extra car that can be pushed off and on the track for slower transfers. :goodvibes

And for the OP, there are a couple of main threads on the DIS board about tips for 'Pooh Sized People'. Check those out for hints and which rides are able to accomodate your specific needs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter