50's Prime Time VS Sci-Fi

MissKristinaLianne

... I wish I was in WDW> RIGHT NOWWW!
We are a couple in our 20s travelling to the world on July 29th... we have one HS day.

I've been to the World serveral times and Sci-Fi has always been a favourite. Last time I dined there was in 2007. Food wasn't great and neither was the selection... I think we shared two starter dishes and milkshakes. I have been hearing a lot about the 50's Prime Time (and the menu looks a lot better).

I know 50's Prime Time is supposed to be more of an "experience"... yet I've had seen conflicting reports on that. Can anyone shed some light on this? Suggestions and comments would be appreciated!

We like Sci Fi but LOVE 50's PT. We ate at 50's in May and the food was fantastic, the server was not into the fun and games as much as some other servers that were way over the top with it but we still had a great time.

Based on food we prefer 50's but atmosphere we prefer Sci Fi

We like Sci Fi but LOVE 50's PT. We ate at 50's in May and the food was fantastic, the server was not into the fun and games as much as some other servers that were way over the top with it but we still had a great time.

Based on food we prefer 50's but atmosphere we prefer Sci Fi

That's exactly my issue! I know (from the menu) food looks better @ 50's but I think my fiance would like the Sci-Fi. Hmmmm :confused:

We've been to 50s PT several times and have always enjoyed the food. Mind you I always love "home-style" cooking when I'm not the one doing the cooking.:rotfl:

We've had different experiences with each of the waitstaff. Sometimes they're REALLY into the role playing and sometimes not so much. They will usually take their cues from you, though. If they think that you just want a meal and nothing else, then that's probably what you'll get. If they think you want to play (I greet them with my elbows on the table and chewing gum;)) then they'll play along too.

We've been to 50s PT several times and have always enjoyed the food. Mind you I always love "home-style" cooking when I'm not the one doing the cooking.:rotfl:

We've had different experiences with each of the waitstaff. Sometimes they're REALLY into the role playing and sometimes not so much. They will usually take their cues from you, though. If they think that you just want a meal and nothing else, then that's probably what you'll get. If they think you want to play (I greet them with my elbows on the table and chewing gum;)) then they'll play along too.

Thats why I think I've always avoided that place... I dont mind some entertainment at Disney (we're at a theme park after all). Sometimes I just find its too over the top that it's cheesy LOL

with 50s it depends on your group (how involved are they in playing along) and your server (are they into their part or are they just plopping food on your table). the food is classic american comfort food. i had the fried chicken and it was what i expected by ordering fried chicken, i thought it was good. i went with my daughter, my sister, and her daughter. my sister and her daughter are the rebellious types and my sister never really taught my niece how to behave "traditionally" at the dining room table so they were picked on through the whole dinner...things like elbows on the table etc... my daughter and i thought it was flipping hysterical, they weren't as amused :laughing:.

Christmas 2010-we dined at the 50's PT and absolutely loved the food! The portions were HUGE! (really...too much food, even for a hungry dude!). The workers were a hoot...even though it was over the top most of the time.
:thumbsup2

Personally, I would choose 50s Prime Time Cafe because it holds fond memories for us. We've been there two times-the first time we had a great waiter who got into the "experience", but not overly so. At the time, our daughter was 4yo and he made it really special for her- he was gave her what was essentially a fast pass to the Little Mermaid show and also gave her a clip on Tinkerbell that lit up. Every table that our waiter was assigned to loved him...in addition to us, two of his other tables asked for a picture with him. Plus the food was great. Although it's nothing incredibly original, I love it. Also I had a Peanutbutter milkshake that was awesome.
We also went there in February, and much to our chagrin, was brutally disappointed. We had a different waiter who didn't get much into the whole thing and the service he provided was incredibly slow. The food was still good though.
We were also bitter because we saw our awesome waiter from our last visit still worked there but was in a different area. If we would've known that he was working that day, we would've tried to request his area again.
We haven't given up hope though that we'll have another great experience there.
The seating at Sci-Fi is bothersome to me...as a family of 5, we wouldn't face each other; we'd be facing a screen. Something about that separation really gets under my skin. To me, the food is just ok. I will admit the atmosphere is pretty cool and I want my kids to experience it at least once. But once is enough for me.

We love the 50's cafe. The food is GREAT. I was raised in the country and was taught very early about table manners so it really does not bother me but it keeps my kids on their toes which I love. :lmao: Country cooking is what I love. The roast beef is gooood but the fried chicken is very good. As for as the wait staff, they can be very good at picking up the signals that we the customers give off. A simple look and shake of the head is usually all it takes. At least for me that is. I had a DD get sick and not feeling to good and the waitress picked up on it real quick and was still a good waitress.

If your fiance has never been to Sci Fi, then I would definitely go there. The experience of it is much more memorable than 50's PT in my opinion. It's been since 2008 since we ate at SF, but our meal was very delicious.

We just returned from our June trip and ate lunch at 50's....had a ball there and the food was yummy, but I still think SF is the one you should pick. You can try 50's PT on your next trip!

For our family, 50's PT was a waste of time. We had the "rude waitress who makes you behave with 50's retro food experience" already at Ed Debevic's in Chicago--with cocktails and adults, that experience was fun:rotfl2:Hot, tired, and hungry at WDW, the experience was frustrating and required alot of energy. We have not been back. Sci Fi, on the other hand, has been on our annual trip dining list for decades;)and we are going back for lunch in December. I always encourage readers to try everything at least once. Could you do both in some way? If not, do one this trip and the other the next trip for sure:thumbsup2

we used to eat at sci fi every time we went down to disney, but we havent gone the last few times because we looked at the menu and there isnt much selection and nothing really interested us. We went down in april, and we walked into prime time, and it was so good! we are def going to go back there the next time we go down:goodvibes

:surfweb:Thanks to everyone for the replies!

I would love for him to see the sci-fi I think he would think it was really cool. Yet, the menu and decor at 50's look pretty good too.

Hmmm... Im going to try to fit in two ADR's. ;) Light lunch @ sci-fi then late dinner?

I.love.stitch - I'm so glad to hear that about 50's PTC. Can't wait to visit in August!

we recently tried 50's,, it was good food, our experience was in the middle I would say,, I say one waiter laying it on way too thick even when the family wasn't playing along, then I saw another not doing much of anything,, so like PP said it is kinda depending on you, but also depends on the server.

50's is one of those restaurants I have been to on just about every trip. Now we usually go there for lunch before we leave the park (we don't do too much there these days). 50's deffinately has the better food, IMO, but Sci-Fi has the better theming and more unique dining experience. If you are on one of the dining plans, don't use a credit on your lunch if you choose to go to Sci-Fi first. The dessert options aren't great there and 50's has awesome shakes and s'mores (my girlfriend usually split a shake and s'mores for dessert). :thumbsup2

If your fiance has never been to Sci Fi, then I would definitely go there. The experience of it is much more memorable than 50's PT in my opinion. It's been since 2008 since we ate at SF, but our meal was very delicious. >>>I agree, if he's never been, try this place. Their atmosphere is quite unique!

We just returned from our June trip and ate lunch at 50's....had a ball there and the food was yummy, but I still think SF is the one you should pick. You can try 50's PT on your next trip!

Sci Fi is definitely my fave!!! I LOVE the atmosphere. Very unique. I've always liked the food. Its simple drive-in food, nothing gourmet. But i've always liked the cheeseburgers, ribs (SOOO GOOD, not fatty at all), and shakes. very delish. This would be my pick!

I think 50's is a lot of fun...my server played the role a little. But I noticed other servers played it a lot more. I was so ready to play, but I think my server was just too busy to do more?? I've noticed its hit or miss with the servers....and i dont think its entirely based on the customers willingness to play. Some of the servers are too overwhelmed to do more. I've heard from many who left disappointed cause their servers didnt play the part. Anyway, the food was disappointing to be honest. I had the fried chicken and i found it VERY salty. It was too much after walking in the heat/sun all day. Maybe it was an off day because the table next to us complained about the same thing. who knows. But I would give 50's another chance thou. i'll just order something different.

50's has the best comfort food. If you don't feel like "playing along", you can always wait for a seat at the bar out front. Usually people don't stay there - as they're just getting a drink while waiting for their table.

DH and I always sit there and we order off the full menu. Both the Dave bartenders have provided EXCELLENT service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter