50's Prime Time...how is it, really?

BlondeAlligator

DIS Veteran
I'm thinking about trying it this November...we'll be on a 5night/6day trip & I'd love to try a new restaurant. Opinions please...

Thanks!

The food is good and the atmosphere is fun. What more could one ask for? :goodvibes
My family would take Prime Time over Sci Fi any day.

I would say food is so-so and atmosphere is hit or miss.
The first time I went was fun and interactive.
The next two times it was like eating at a regular place. No antics whatsoever. We always went with larger groups, so it was pretty disappointing.

We did Prime time and nothing happened like you here with all the interaction. Theming was fun and the food was okay.

My family of 4 ate at Prime Time last November, and we all loved it! The food was actually really good, but the atmosphere and service is what made it really special. I think your experience totally depends on your waiter/waitress and how willing you are to participate. We're going again in September!

We thought the food was pretty good too and the restaurant was a lot of fun. I would go back next time but we are trying to just do different restaurants. We really enjoyed it.

It's a fun place to try. The atmosphere is nice and the food is okay. At MGM (Excuse me, Hollywood Studios :rolleyes:) there are two '50's themed restaurants; 50's Prime Time Cafe and Sci-Fi Dine In Theater. I think the food is pretty comparable between the two but for me the atmosphere at Sci-Fi wins hands down.

I would say food is so-so and atmosphere is hit or miss.
The first time I went was fun and interactive.
The next two times it was like eating at a regular place. No antics whatsoever. We always went with larger groups, so it was pretty disappointing.

I agree~ I think the larger the group the bigger the disappointment. I went years ago with just my hubby and we had a a blast...I went in November with my family 2A and 3C (9, 7 and 6), MIL and brother and sister in law with their 2 kids (2 and infant). 10 people total..WOW what a disappointment! First of all the service was horrible..very long wait times from getting a table with a reservation... to ordering... to actually getting our food which took an hour and a half...I kid you not!!! The food was dry and overcooked..it was definitely under a heating lamp for quite sometime :eek: My kids thought the antics were cute at first but after an hour with cranky/hungry kids the antics got old and annoying.. We waisted to much of our day at HS in The Primetime. Hopefully, if you try it your experience will be better :)

We have eaten at Prime Time twice and had fun both times. The nostalgia the place evokes is lost on small children who don't remember the 1950s or never saw Leave It To Beaver or Donna Reed. The food is okay, but is very similar to the stuff I was fed as a child. The place is a throw back in time!

This restaurant is meant to bring back memories of a bygone era - an era of butter being a health food, formica tables and black and white CRT TV sets.

If you don't take it too seriously, it can be a fun stop during your visit to DHS.

My husband and I had lunch there a couple of weeks ago and had a great time. We didn't realize the servers interacted with you, so it was a fun surprise when our server started in with no elbows on the table and the other fun things they do.

Food was very good, I had a sandwich and DH had soup & salad. Two of the people seated next to us had pot roast that looked wonderful and we would definitely go back for that.

We made our reservation at the kiosk in front of the Brown Derby when we first walked in to Hollywood Studios that morning and had no trouble getting the time we wanted. It's nice to know that you don't have to make reservations 180 days in advance if you want to eat somewhere good in WDW. We are locals and can't plan ahead that far.

Thanks for posting the question. It's one of our ADRs for our October trip. For those of you who've eaten there before, do you think it's worth asking for an "interactive" server when you check in??

Your dining experience will depend greatly on your server.The give and take between you and your server (who is your cousin or that is role server is playing) if you are shy and reserved this might not be your favorite place.If you like to joke around you will have a great time.Sometimes you get a server that is not into playing the role and that for us is no fun.This is like eating a meal on stage and interacting with the CM.:goodvibes :goodvibes Danny

I really enjoy 50's: I like the food, the theming and the antics. I think the food is good: it's not great or gourmet, but it's good, simple food. The 50's theming is really neat and our servers have always been alot of fun. We skipped 50's on last year's trip & I really missed it - can't wait to eat there this year!

I seem to remember waiting well over 30 mins. for our table but other than that we enjoyed both our meal and the atmosphere. :thumbsup2

I've been twice, once with my mom, sis and nephew, we thought the food was great, but our server could have been better.

the 2nd time I went, was with a larger group. 3 adults and 2 kids 16 & 6ish

We had the BEST time! our server Cousin Mikey was too funny and we had so much fun. Other friends of ours were at a table near us and between the 2 tables we had a dinner none of us will ever forget.

There were stolen cell phones:rotfl: (of course they were given back)
he made the other table come over and set our table:lmao:
he kept making the 16 year old at our table take everyones menus to the front and even made her wear a bib:rotfl2:
I finised my drink, and before he even asked me if I wanted more, he brought me like 5 more at one time lol

it was so much fun, I wouldn't hesitate to go back again

That is one of our favorite places. I love the meatloaf! They also had a peanut butter and jelly shake, which i was hesitant to try but i turned out to be amazingly delicious! I would get it again for sure! It was considered a drink on the dining plan too. The decor is fun, i like watching the old shows on their black and white tv. Their waiting room is fun too, it's like a 50s living room. Last time we went right when they opened so we could actually sit in there. The desserts are really good too. We had the brownie which had half drizzled in hot fudge and the other in caramel. It was topped with whipped cream, m&m like candies, caramel corn and it was wonderful! Our server didnt do any "acting" but the table next to us had kids and their server did, it was fun to watch. The time before last, the server did act and made us eat our vegetables or no dessert. The dessert menu is on a cute toy, i forget the name of it, but you look through it.. i had one when i was a kid...what's the name of it... Anyway, it's a great restaurant.

We went there last month and loved it!! Good food and a really funny server!!

If you want any pictures there are loads in my food review!

Make sure you put you elbows on the table.. :hyper:
Don't eat your vegetables... :hyper:
Have fun.

We have been twice and love it. We also tried SciFi and it was just OK. I would do 50's over SciFi any day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter