50's Prime Time for Dinner?

Mom2JoeyandBen

Mouseketeer
We aren't really thrilled with any of the TS meals at MGM. However due to our desire to see the Osborne lights at night, and wanting to eat dinner there simply due to convienence, we are considering 50's PT. We did H&V and each year are less and less thrilled. Sci-Fi we tried for lunch, and just didn't care for the whole "car seating". (Hard to see and talk to the people behind you). Brown Derby is a little pricey, so that leaves us with 50's Prime Time and Mama Melrose. Mama Melrose's consensus seems to be "ok" nothing great, nothing horrible. But how about 50's Prime Time? I've read about the decor being nice and the interaction with the wait staff, but how was the food??

We usually always go to PTC each year. The food is pretty good. My favorite is the herb cheese appetizer and the pot roast for an entree. My DH enjoyed the fried chicken as well. I think it is the best bet for a reasonable dinner at the Studios. Have fun!:goodvibes

Welllllllll I think it is OK but nothing great.
DH loves the comfort food and wants to go there everytime we are at MGM
Cousin says she thinks the food is the best. (the fried chicken)
A friend who I have gone with did not like the selections at all and said she didn't like the food.

OK.... I know this was not helpful:confused3 but for some reason this place gets this a lot I think. There are so many different opinions about it.

BUT.... We all did think it was fun.:)

I prefer mama melrose to prime time cafe.

The pot roast is good at PT but it made me sick because I didn't know that the sauce is made with Mushrooms. Mushrooms make me sick, I am not allergic, but they don't agree with me.:sick:

Penne a la Vodka is my favorite at Mama Melrose along with the Tomato and Mozarella salad.

There are only two table service places that we will go to at MGM. Sci Fi and 50s Prime Time. Sci Fi for the atmosphere and burgers. 50s more for the food. It's basically meat and potatoes and that's fine with us. Typical "American" fare. Nothing fancy but then again, it's not supposed to be. Since you've never been there, it would be a good choice and you can form your own opinion. You definitely won't be bored there.

We have only gone to PT for lunch but the menu is basically the same. We love it as it is comfort food. Dh loves the chicken and I love the pot pie. Sure we can make it at home and there are certainly many more high end meals but we just enjoy the total package Food, service, atmosphere etc. HTH :)

I go back to 50's Prime Time anytime I'm there. It's decent comfort food, and it's certainly a dining experience, not just dinner. Your question is specifically about the food though...so let me say don't expect over-the-top quality, and you won't be disappointed. It's a nice change from dinners found throughout MGM and many of the other parks.

I'd say the food is pretty good. About the same quality-wise as Mama Melrose. We ate at both on our last trip. The service was better at PrimeTime. How about The Brown Derby though if you're looking for good food?

Oh sorry, The Brown Derby is a little pricier. I didn't see your comment the first time I read it. We usually order vegatarian options anyway which has a side benefit of also keeping the price down in most cases.

We have eaten there many times and love the fried chicken ( you can get it with all white meat ), the pot roast and meat loaf. Smores is a must!

We ate there last week and really enjoyed the food. Their mashed potatoes were really good. Plus their sundays are awesome. We enjoyed it much better than last years trip to MM. Noone in our party wants to go back to MM.

I think the food at PT is good. Comfort food is not usually my thing, but I enjoyed the pot roast and would go back for it. I have not tried Mama Melrose, so can't compare. If you go, I hope you enjoy it!

I wasn't a fan of the food at all. I wasn't impressed with the menu, and I was less impressed with my food! I got the meatloaf and it just wasn't very good at all. I was very disappointed. We won't be going back on our next trip. We'd rather go to Sci Fi than 50's PTC!

We enjoy 50's PT. The food is actually a nice change from all the upscale stuff we tend to eat while there (we like to get maximum value from the dining plan) and the atmosphere is great. It's fun to explain the decor, TV clips, etc. to our kids who have never seen such things. Kind of a sentimental journey for us. With GREAT desserts.

Great you are planning to see the Osborne lights - I am lime green with envy!

If you've never been to PTC, it's definitely worth a trip. It's an inventive setting and, I think, one of Disney's best-themed restaurants. That said - you asked about the food, did you???;) - over the past few years, at least since we've been visiting, the food has gone down in quality.

DD had really stringy pot roast last August, and while my pork was "okay", it just wasn't the quality overall that we'd remembered. DS's shake however, was the best he'd ever had - or so he proclaimed!

Mama Melrose was good, just okay - I would say that if you've never been, PTC will make you happy just for the theming and "okay" food.

We absolutely LOVE 50's PTD! :thumbsup2 We went there twice last trip and are going to book it twice on our upcoming trip! My son and hubby LOVE the pot roast and PB&J shakes, my choice is the steak and vanilla flavored cola!

I am not sure. :confused3 It is listed as a side (like for my steak) and on our first trip there I ask our "Auntie" what it was. She laughed and replied "gross" and told me to substitute it. They had yummy mashed potatoes and gravy! Feel free to ask your server (Aunt, Mom, or Cousin) for a description and just know that if it is not something you would like, you can substitute another side for it! Also, some people have said they chose the shakes for dessert, however, if you want those as a drink they are allowed! I do not like milkshakes so I did not choose this but my husband (a traditional vanilla shake guy) and teenage son both got the PB&J shakes and thought they were yummy! :thumbsup2

We eat at PTC every trip. We go for the atmosphere. The food is average and that is o.k. w/ us. We don't expect upscale food at PTC. My favorites are herb cheese and grilled chicken w/ a chocolate shake :goodvibes This place is tradition for us :)

For fun I think 50's is amazing. It was our 'funnest' meal of the trip by far. We had Cousin Mikey and he was WONDERFUL!!

I hate, hate, hated my food. I had the steak and it was flavorless leather. Absolutely horrible! The Vegetable Root Hash was also nothing to write home about.

That said, we'll go again. Just not for the food.

We LOVE Mama Melrose for the food. The Gorgonzola Steak is delicious and the pasta is a step above fine. Not great, but better than fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter