50's Prime Time and DDP

rammh

Mouseketeer
On the DDP, can you get a milkshake as your drink at 50's Prime Time Cafe? Seems like I have heard that somewhere for other places like Sci Fi, but not sure about PTC.
Thanks!

From what I have read on the DIS boards...

Adults on the dining plan can order a milkshake as a non-alcoholic beverage, but children on the dining plan can not order it as a beverage.

Oh boo, wish I had asked that here! Our waitress told us we could only order one as a dessert (pb&j one, amazing!) on the DDP. Such is life, regardless I got one (in a to go cup to boot haha).

Oh boo, wish I had asked that here! Our waitress told us we could only order one as a dessert (pb&j one, amazing!) on the DDP. Such is life, regardless I got one (in a to go cup to boot haha).

I'd trust the waitress over a fan forum.

Back in 2011 we were able to have it as our drink. I only know this because I also had the brownie sundae for dessert. My daughter got some kind of smoothie as her drink

Yes, we got shakes and smoothies are our drinks at both Sci-Fi and 50's. At 50's we were stuffed after our shake and meal and they were still trying to talk us into getting a dessert too since that was part of the dining plan, but we already had to be rolled out of the restaurant.

Last year was my first time on DDP. My Mom and I each ordered a shake (pb&j..nom nom!) We were so full after dinner we didn't have dessert. Our milkshakes were included. Not sure if it was considered a beverage or they considered it the dessert but we are going back again. This time pb&j shake with chocolate ice cream! Mmm can't wait!

Back in 2011 we did the DxDP, and after eating at a lot of TS restaurants it became very obvious the servers had a lot of latitude with what the dining plan can cover. For example, we were able to order extra drinks or specialty drinks, sub an appetizer for desert, etc at some restaurants and then when we got our card back everything was 0.00 and we did not owe for the extras. We had 2 kids under 3 with us and would order them a kids meal to share at some places and even those would disappear sometimes.

At other restaurants, we did pay for them.

If we paid for extras, they always had to be on a separate ticket. So, (I do not KNOW this is how it works,) but it seemed that the dining plan zeroes out the ticket regardless of what is on there. So if your server doesn't put it on a separate ticket then you don't pay for it.

The result, if your server is okay with the swap the system will allow it. Some servers are good with whatever, others follow the rules. According to the official literature from Disney specialty drinks are not included, and a milkshake is a specialty drink. However, some servers let you get it for a drink, some let you get it for a dessert. It never hurts to ask. Just be willing to take no for an answer.

Back in 2011 we did the DxDP, and after eating at a lot of TS restaurants it became very obvious the servers had a lot of latitude with what the dining plan can cover. For example, we were able to order extra drinks or specialty drinks, sub an appetizer for desert, etc at some restaurants and then when we got our card back everything was 0.00 and we did not owe for the extras. We had 2 kids under 3 with us and would order them a kids meal to share at some places and even those would disappear sometimes.

At other restaurants, we did pay for them.

If we paid for extras, they always had to be on a separate ticket. So, (I do not KNOW this is how it works,) but it seemed that the dining plan zeroes out the ticket regardless of what is on there. So if your server doesn't put it on a separate ticket then you don't pay for it.

The result, if your server is okay with the swap the system will allow it. Some servers are good with whatever, others follow the rules. According to the official literature from Disney specialty drinks are not included, and a milkshake is a specialty drink. However, some servers let you get it for a drink, some let you get it for a dessert. It never hurts to ask. Just be willing to take no for an answer.

I'm confused by your point. On the DxDDP you are entitled to appetizer, entree, dessert and non alcoholic drink. I get the specialties drink thought, but what are you "swapping" when you are entitled to both the appetizer and the dessert?

Thanks for the replies. My DD and I are going to split a meal there so I thought she could have the shake for her drink and I would get the dessert since I LOVE the boston cream pie parfait and she doesnt :) If we cant, we cant, no big deal, but I will certainly ask!

When we went in December we were able to get the milkshake as a drink on the dining plan.

I'd trust the waitress over a fan forum.

Still doesn't hurt to ask again, wasn't going to until I read this here. Especially now since my oldest will be an adult and would enjoy the milkshake as a drink. Our waitress was cranky and not the normal fun type anyway.

DisMama3 said:
Still doesn't hurt to ask again, wasn't going to until I read this here. Especially now since my oldest will be an adult and would enjoy the milkshake as a drink. Our waitress was cranky and not the normal fun type anyway.

Was it cousin Sarah? The last couple times we had her so has been completely off. We even went as far as to play with our phones and put our elbows on the table and got nothing, was very disappointing

Was it cousin Sarah? The last couple times we had her so has been completely off. We even went as far as to play with our phones and put our elbows on the table and got nothing, was very disappointing

Is she a younger, pretty girl with blonde hair? If so yes. She wasn't mean cranky but just bad day, couldn't pull off getting into character cranky. I had no hard feelings about the milkshake as I always assumed it was a specialty drink ;).

DisMama3 said:
Is she a younger, pretty girl with blonde hair? If so yes. She wasn't mean cranky but just bad day, couldn't pull off getting into character cranky. I had no hard feelings about the milkshake as I always assumed it was a specialty drink ;).

That would be her! I've had her 3 times and have only gotten her to play along once kinda. I didn't finish my food and she said I had to eat 2 more spoonfuls, but she walked away and never made me actually do it.

That would be her! I've had her 3 times and have only gotten her to play along once kinda. I didn't finish my food and she said I had to eat 2 more spoonfuls, but she walked away and never made me actually do it.

Haha too funny! She really took to our little guy, said she had a daughter or niece the same age. Thankfully the food was good so we didn't mind the lack of acting. Can't wait to go back!!

DisMama3 said:
Haha too funny! She really took to our little guy, said she had a daughter or niece the same age. Thankfully the food was good so we didn't mind the lack of acting. Can't wait to go back!!

We are looking forward to our next visit, just hoping we get someone different lol we like Sarah but what were the chances the last 3 trips we would get her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter