• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

50mm @ WDW?

LovelyMouse22

Mouseketeer
My cousin just let me borrow his 50m f/1.8, and i'm in love :lovestruc (I have a canon t2i btw) So i'm wondering how practical it is to use a 50mm at WDW. I know, it's not going to be an ideal walk around lens, but will I get any use out of it? I will also have my 18-55 kit and 75-300mm with me.

If you have taken your 50mm to WDW, please share pics! :) I have 104 days until Disney,and I need a fix. :)

I took my 35mm (1:8) to WDW a couple of weeks ago. I have to say, I really liked it for shows (no flash), parades and evening/nighttime shots. Sometimes, I wish I had more zoom, but the pictures wouldn't have come out as well due to the faster lens. So you give and take. Mostly I used my 18-55 lens. My 55-300 came in very handy at Animal Kingdom.

You can use it as a walk around lens. It will give you a different perspective. It is also great for indoor rides. Up the ISO on your camera and use Aperture priority and set the f/stop to f/1.8 and you'll get shots on the indoor rides you haven't been able to get in the past. It won't work on every scene on every ride, but you'll do pretty well.

Its also great for the night parades if there happen to be any when you go.

Its definitely a great lens to use (at one time before zooms were the norm back in the film days, the 50mm was the "kit" lens than came with a film SLR).

On a digital crop SLR its a tad long, but not bad for candids and most general purpose stuff.

Its also a great lens for portraits.

You can totally use it the whole time if you want. My first 35mm SLR only had a 55mm f/1.4 lens on it. I used it that way for three years. It worked fine as a walk around. And even though now I use a 28-105 as my walk around during the day, when I go out at night my 50mm stays on the camera.

Thanks for the replies! Maybe I will try it as a walk around, and just have one other as a back up. This is our first trip, and I've been planning for over a year! So i want to get good pics! We are doing MK our first night since we aren't getting in until around 5pm. MSEP and Wishes so i'm excited to try out the lens! Hopefully I can get some good dark ride shots! Thanks for the tips! :)

There were all taken with the 50mm f/1.8 on a Canon T1i. The T2i has even higher ISO capabilities (mine only goes to 3200) which would allow for potentially sharper images (albeit with some more noise, but much of that can be reduced via software).

I kept the 50 on my 7D last year about this time. The only time I was disappointed was with long shots (with three of us). You couldn't really see us when it was far away....
Have fun! the 50 is a great lens!

I may try to do the 50 some days and my kit others. Just to have good variety. We are pre ordering the photopass cd too, so hopefully we will end up with a bunch of great photos. I took 500 photos at the pumpkin patch/corn maze alone, sooo I'm guessing i'll have at least 2k pics at WDW. :)

This is from my Nikon 50mm f/1.4

DIS_2555.jpg

That is awesome! I wont ride that, but i'm going to have DH take my camera on it to get a picture! That is super neat!

Pentax Kr with Pentax FA 50mm f1.4

I can't remember the settings but heres a few with my 50. I tended to only use it indoors and havent really looked at many of my pics that I took with it yet...

IMGP0596.jpg

IMGP1231.jpg

IMGP1170.jpg

IMGP3719.jpg

IMGP3711.jpg

These were taken with the 50 mm, f/1.8 on a T2i in October last year. I had just gotten the lens about 1 week before I headed over to the World. I highly recommend that you test it out at home before heading over so that you have some feel for what the lens is capable of.

For the dark rides, most of the shots below would have been taken at either ISO 1600 or 3200. I tried to keep shutter speed at least at 1/40 sec or 1/50 sec minimum (following the inverse of focal length rule ... I'm sure one of the prosumers can explain it better). Some of these may have gone as low as 1/30 sec. I think the f/stops range from 1.8 - 2.5 for the dark rides.

I used AV, TV and manual modes on this trip depending on how 'brave' I was feeling... it was a new lens and I didn't want to miss some shots.

Have fun with the lens and have a great trip! I hope you'll share your shots when you return.

USAHolidayOct2010142.jpg

USAHolidayOct2010135.jpg

USAHolidayOct2010WDW129.jpg

USAHolidayOct2010WDW134.jpg

USAHolidayOct2010172.jpg

USAHolidayOct2010173.jpg

USAHolidayOct2010175.jpg

USAHolidayOct2010194.jpg

USAHolidayOct2010235.jpg

USAHolidayOct2010237.jpg

USAHolidayOct2010294.jpg

USAHolidayOct2010240.jpg

USAHolidayOct2010298.jpg

USAHolidayOct2010300.jpg

USAHolidayOct2010306.jpg

USAHolidayOct2010312.jpg

USAHolidayOct2010320.jpg

princess::upsidedow

Love the one of the canon! Using a prime lens is certainly different. I'm hoping that by the time February comes around, I'll have it mastered. I guess if my first shots don't turn out, i'll just ride again. :) It's february, there should have low crowds!

These are from a Pentax 50mm f/1.4

IMGP0531-dis.jpg

IMGP6231.jpg

I am going to use my new 35mm at WDW over the holidays! :banana: :woohoo:

I use the 35mm f1.8 as my walk around lens. It allows/forces me to be more creative when it comes to composition. Anyway, I've also shot with an older 50mm f1.8 lens at Disney. I found that it was sometimes too tight, but still a great lens.

Here are some pics taken with the 50mm and the 35mm well most of my flickr photostream is shot using that lens.

I love the 50mm f/1.8, it's a great lens for the money. But on the T2i it's a little tight, especially when you are indoors due the 1.6 crop factor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter