• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

50 MB of free internet?

One thing to do, if you have a phone and are not sure what to do to ensure things are set up correctly, is to go see the CM on board that helps with the Connect at Sea. I signed up for one of the packages, and did something wrong the 1st day and it used up my data within a few minutes and when I went to see him, he showed me all the things that had to be turned off. He was wonderful and actually gave me back the MB's that had used up with some of the auto stuff I didn't realize I needed to turn off. Once he helped me set up the phone, it worked, and the MB's I had covered me for the rest of the trip.

Where can I find rates for Internet packages? We'll definitely sign up on day 1 for the free MB's but was curious in case we need to add more. Thanks.

I really only have experience with another cruise line's Internet and was wondering how it works for Disney. When you have used up your allowed amount, does it kick you off and tell you to buy more (this was how the other cruise line I went on worked), or does it let you stay on and charge your usage to your room?

I really only have experience with another cruise line's Internet and was wondering how it works for Disney. When you have used up your allowed amount, does it kick you off and tell you to buy more (this was how the other cruise line I went on worked), or does it let you stay on and charge your usage to your room?
When you run out, I believe it will ask you if you wish to purchase additional packages/time. You have to buy internet packages in advance of using them. There no way to just charge it to your room as you use it. Well, except if you buy the Pay-as-you-go $.25 per MB package.

When you run out, I believe it will ask you if you wish to purchase additional packages/time. You have to buy internet packages in advance of using them. There no way to just charge it to your room as you use it. Well, except if you buy the Pay-as-you-go $.25 per MB package.
It stops automatically. In order to continue to use it you must buy one of the internet packages.

Yeah, I don't think a 4 day dream cruise in the royal is worth 15k just for free unlimited internet. LOL.
True although I did use $450 worth of internet services last time we were in the Royal. So, the unlimited aspect does have some value for those that need it.

DWF

True although I did use $450 worth of internet services last time we were in the Royal. So, the unlimited aspect does have some value for those that need it.

DWF
Oh i could probably use more than that if i had unlimited. but i don't think i could use 10k worth of it which is the price diff between our room and a royal LOL

yes, if you sign up on the first day of your cruise. Look at the navigator upon boarding and go to guest services to sign up. 100mb are free to concierge guests.

Actually we did not need to check the Navigator nor did we need to go to Guest Services.

Connect to DCL-GUEST wifi. Then we just started our browser, and up came the sign up page. 50MB at no charge, sign up in seconds, then you're on your way surfing.

Be sure to read various posts about turning off all app updates, photo synching, cloud update/backup, etc. or you'll see your 50MB vanish in short order! There is a great internet help desk (at least on the Fantasy) on the 4th deck near future cruises, the guy there is friendly and knowledgeable if you want someone to help check that you've turned off everything to keep from using your bandwidth. But we never needed his or anyone's help, nor did we need to read any literature (Navigator or otherwise).

It works, the browser page is nice/easy/informative.

Last edited:

I think that we were probably close to that the last time too. If you asked our kids who don't actually have to earn the money, they'd say that the extra $15k for the cabin (ummm....really more than that) is definitely worth it just for the unlimited internet. They would want MORE unlimited internet if it were possible (my son uses so much 'unlimited' data on his cell that he gets throttled).

Realistically, my sister and I pay the extra not for the unlimited internet, but to keep us from getting unlimited prison time for throwing one or more children overboard.

I know you didn't ask, but just for those reading this thread about the internet access...if you connect to the ship wifi and never sign on, you will be able to use the GREAT app for onboard information, and you'll never be charged a cent.

If you do sign up for the wifi internet access package, just be SURE to sign off the paid access in your browser when you're finished, the continue to stay connected to the wifi for their app.

I am working on my Masters, and will be taking one class online at the time of my cruise in Sept. I will need to check and write a paper and homework. How much internet do you think I might need? I'm staying concierge so I get the 100 MB, I know I'll probaly need more..? Is there free wifi in the concierge lounge?

Wifi is not free in the concierge lounge, you may still need a package. You won't have to be online while writing the paper or homework, just for submitting it? is that correct? You should be fine. Photos take much larger bandwidth than documents. try to send in a text document, instead of a larger Word document, if you can.

Also, we find the 50mb free to be per person, rather than per stateroom. I have the kids sign up. Used to be per email address, but Disney got wise to that trick. ;-)

Getting ready to leave Port Canaveral in a few hours! Noticed they are giving 50 MB of free internet per cabin to use throughout the week if you sign up before midnight. I rarely seem to see Disney giving away freebies that the usually charge. Is this something that has been going on a while.

DWF
We had it on the Wonder last June. It was great. It was engough time to check emails, FB, etc at their internet cafe. We had 2 rooms, so we were able to use 100MB worth.

MUN

I think I posted this before, but I encourage folks to also check with their cell phone carriers when it comes to roaming, data, etc. There are sometimes partner carriers that they work with where the per minute rates are reasonable, or there is free texting still, etc. We have T-Mobile and with our plan, pretty much other than at Grand Cayman we still have free texting and something like 20 cents per minute voice...which is perfectly reasonable for quick calls.

I can prepurchase "roaming" internet to add on to my plan if I want to do emails and the like...but frankly this will be the first time that we're all going to be "untethered", so other than texting folks back home to reassure everyone's fine and all we don't plan to email or do long calls :)

But yeah, check with your cell carriers. Sometimes they may have better rates than Disney :)

Actually per account name, as of the time we used it on the Fantasy last month. You sign up, and anyone you tell the username/password to can use it. Share away!
so I could create an account on my phone, DH on his and DD on her iPad and each get 50mb?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter