5 night disney vs 7 night royal Caribbean

What I mean by significant differences is that it is more a water ride than a water slide. Those who ride it don't get wet and stay dry inside the tube. The waterslides and flow-riders involve getting wet, soaked and enjoying the elements. There to me is a significant difference in riding a water protected vehicle and swimming, riding or getting dunked on the water slides and flow-riders. Do those tubes have air conditioning? I have some time and will probably try to look them up on the internet to see what they are. It really seems more like a ride you would find in the parks.

I actually rode the flow-rider for about 10 seconds. After that I vowed to lose weight and try again next year. I was fun.

I just found this link, a virtual ride on the aquaduck.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2009/10/disney-cruise-line-ride-the-aquaduck/

The review I read from somebody that rode it said they got pretty wet. The person in back a bit more than the person in front only because the person in front was protected from the water jets.

Otherwise, they are two very different types of rides. I had no desire to go on the flow rider where the aqua duck, based on experience from going on rides similar, looks pretty inviting to me.

What I mean by significant differences is that it is more a water ride than a water slide. Those who ride it don't get wet and stay dry inside the tube.
See, that's a big plus. One could get dressed for dinner and then go get in a quick ride on the Aquaduck because they stay dry inside the tube!!! :lmao:

The waterslides and flow-riders involve getting wet, soaked and enjoying the elements. There to me is a significant difference in riding a water protected vehicle and swimming, riding or getting dunked on the water slides and flow-riders. Do those tubes have air conditioning?
Yes Edd...they have air conditioning, basic cable and Wifi access.

I have some time and will probably try to look them up on the internet to see what they are. It really seems more like a ride you would find in the parks.
Might be a good idea to do so before you go around saying how much better the Flow-rider is. After all, you criticize others for making comments about things that they've never experienced.

They also appear to be on a ship that is FAR from full.... I am more curious as to what the general public gets then "special guests Disney is trying to impress" ;)

Yes, I agree. But I have also seen pictures of the Freedom taken during a normal cruise that showed it to be far from full, when in fact, it was anything but. I will have to go back and read the posts again. Thanks.

What I mean by significant differences is that it is more a water ride than a water slide. Those who ride it don't get wet and stay dry inside the tube. The waterslides and flow-riders involve getting wet, soaked and enjoying the elements. There to me is a significant difference in riding a water protected vehicle and swimming, riding or getting dunked on the water slides and flow-riders. Do those tubes have air conditioning? I have some time and will probably try to look them up on the internet to see what they are. It really seems more like a ride you would find in the parks.

I actually rode the flow-rider for about 10 seconds. After that I vowed to lose weight and try again. I just found this link, a virtual ride on the aquaduck. The water slides and the flow-riders are much more of an intense ride. There will be more passengers who will go on this ride, but I don't think it will blow-away the flow-riders experience.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2009/10/disney-cruise-line-ride-the-aquaduck/

The vehicle is an intertube... "water protected vehicle" :confused3. Did DCL change what you ride in?

I wouldn't be so sure that the aquaduck can blow away any flow-rider ride. The only report I have seen on the aquaduck is that it took 45 minutes to get back on the ride. There is nothing to do on the aquaduck but ride as far as I can see. The flow-rider involves constant improvement in positioning and riding the boogie board and learning to stand up on the larger boards. The waiting time is about 10 - 20 minutes depending on the number up there to ride. There is big challenge in riding the flow-rider which kids and young adults seem to find fun in.

I find it very hard to believe that on a ship with 4-6000 people that the wait time is only 10 minutes?

How long do you ride 10 seconds?

Or is that it is so bad no one wants to go on it a second time?

These girls seemed to enjoy the DUCK!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rptOXSYY0Bc

I find it very hard to believe that on a ship with 4-6000 people that the wait time is only 10 minutes?

I loved the Flowrider. My 3 oldest kids (13, 12 and 10 at the time of our last RCI cruise) also loved the Flowrider. We even rented it out for a 1 hr private lesson...a true highlight of our cruise.

That being said, it can build up longer lines than what Edd is posting. We found less of a wait on the Oasis than on Independence/Liberty...because Oasis has 2 Flowriders. During busy time periods on Independence/Liberty, there was easily a 30 minute wait between rides. On the Oasis the wait was usually between 10 and 20 minutes....not bad at all.

As for how long people are on the Flowrider, that depends on how good they are. Some people wipe out in 30 seconds. Others ride for a few minutes. The staff does a great job of encouraging riders to try new things/tricks and therefore wipe out..to keep them for being on for too long.

I am looking forward to trying the Aquaduck.

Jess

We have been on the Liberty of the Seas twice now...once at Christmas with a full ship...and we never waited more than 10 minutes. It's just like at WDW...you have to stay ahead of the crowds...and that's what we did. Yes, if you go to the FlowRider at 3PM in the afternoon...it is going to be crowded. If you go at 8AM or a port day...it is not crowded. My crew loves the FlowRider...we have even been to the huge one on Grand Cayman. And no, we do not have anything like this near us...so using it on a cruise-ship works best for our family. We do, however; have a water park close by...and it offers the tube-like experience that the AquaDuck is going to provide...also...doesn't Typhoon Lagoon have the same type of water coaster called "Crush n Gusher?" In all honesty, my family will probably do the coaster one time...it appears to be a simple ride around the top of the ship with about two small drops and the coaster effect to bring you back up. Is the AquaDuck unique...yes...but it is definitely not challenging...and there is no learning curve associated with it. With the FlowRider...there is definitely a learning curve...and it is awesome to see so many kids and adults master their skills on the FlowRider throughout the week!

I just think that the whole debate about the AquaDuck vs. the FlowRider is like comparing apples to oranges. They aren't the same.

I usually don't get into this debate...but I do have experience with what is being discussed...and I do truly enjoy both cruiselines. We are cruising the Dream this April...and I am looking into the Allure of the Seas for Spring Break of 2012!

princess: Crystal

The first and only time I rode the flow-rider I wiped out in 10 or 15 seconds. That was a wild ride for me. I didn't go back on because I figured I would either get private lessons or find another time to get on it. I didn't find any extra time. To many other things to do and maybe I couldn't build up the nerve to try it again.

The lines probably could get longer, but remember the whole cruise ship is not wanting to do the flow-rider. I timed the intervals between my GS's rides, while I was watching him, and there wasn't anything over 15 minutes. Of course a lot depends on what is in front of you. If you get wiped out faster the line goes faster.

The previous poster said it right. The learning curve is what keeps the flow-rider interesting and fun. Also the wipe-outs are usually major dunkings in nice cool water. The aquaduck seems like just a nice ride through a water tube and nothing is wrong with that. A lot more will get to enjoy it. My GS started out with short wipe-outs and by the end of the cruise was on the board a long time doing tricks and being encouraged by the staff to do more so he would wipe-out.

Like someone else posted. These are two completely different rides so no comparison.

I would sail on the dream. The level of service on Disney is better than royal and NCL. I have cruised them all.
I second this!! Except I have only cruised Carnival and Royal Caribbean to compare to Disney. My girls are 10, 12, and 14. We recently cruised RCCL Freedom of the Seas and I thought my older two would have enjoyed RCCL--but no--they are wanting to return to DCL and of course want to go on the latest/greatest DREAM!!

The first and only time I rode the flow-rider I wiped out in 10 or 15 seconds. That was a wild ride for me. I didn't go back on because I figured I would either get private lessons or find another time to get on it. I didn't find any extra time. To many other things to do and maybe I couldn't build up the nerve to try it again.

The lines probably could get longer, but remember the whole cruise ship is not wanting to do the flow-rider. I timed the intervals between my GS's rides, while I was watching him, and there wasn't anything over 15 minutes. Of course a lot depends on what is in front of you. If you get wiped out faster the line goes faster.

The previous poster said it right. The learning curve is what keeps the flow-rider interesting and fun. Also the wipe-outs are usually major dunkings in nice cool water. The aquaduck seems like just a nice ride through a water tube and nothing is wrong with that. A lot more will get to enjoy it. My GS started out with short wipe-outs and by the end of the cruise was on the board a long time doing tricks and being encouraged by the staff to do more so he would wipe-out.

Like someone else posted. These are two completely different rides so no comparison.

Well, for some at least. I have much more interest in the aqua duck (can't wait to try it :worship:) than the flow rider. We went and spent some time watching others on the flow rider (on the Freedom) and never did I once have any desire to try it. But that is why there are different cruise line's out there! :)

From vids I have seen I would think the flow rider on RCL would require considerable more skill than riding something like the Aquaduck. Hence, there are many adults male and female and many young kids (like 3 - 5 years old) that may not be outgoing enough to try a ride like Flow Rider vs. the Aquaduck which just requires that you sit down and do almost nothing. So the target market would seem to be much broader for Aquaduck. Isn't this typical of Disney to make a ride that more would enjoy at least trying?

On the other hand, due to a learning curve, many kids, tweens and teenagers would be attracted to RCL's Flow Rider for the challenge/fun factor. My gut feeling, more adults would be willing to try the Aqua Duck than something like the RCL Flow Rider.

Maybe its a good thing that RCL and DCL are not cookie cutter similar to each other, life would be boring then.

FWIW
Luvstocruise

From vids I have seen I would think the flow rider on RCL would require considerable more skill than riding something like the Aquaduck. Hence, there are many adults male and female and many young kids (like 3 - 5 years old) that may not be outgoing enough to try a ride like Flow Rider vs. the Aquaduck which just requires that you sit down and do almost nothing. So the target market would seem to be much broader for Aquaduck. Isn't this typical of Disney to make a ride that more would enjoy at least trying?

On the other hand, due to a learning curve, many kids, tweens and teenagers would be attracted to RCL's Flow Rider for the challenge/fun factor. My gut feeling, more adults would be willing to try the Aqua Duck than something like the RCL Flow Rider.

Maybe its a good thing that RCL and DCL are not cookie cutter similar to each other, life would be boring then.

FWIW
Luvstocruise

:thumbsup2

You are probably right and I agree with you. DCL's problem is that they may have too many that will want to ride it or just ride it once. Than the most exciting ride on the ship becomes a ride you are going to be able to enjoy onbly once or a few times due to its popularity. Before it is over you may have to have some form of the DCL Express pass to get on it.

The other problem is how old does a child usually get to be 48 inches in heigth. You know how strict Disney is in enforcing its height limits. That ride should require no height restriction.

You are probably right and I agree with you. DCL's problem is that they may have too many that will want to ride it or just ride it once. Than the most exciting ride on the ship becomes a ride you are going to be able to enjoy onbly once or a few times due to its popularity. Before it is over you may have to have some form of the DCL Express pass to get on it.

The other problem is how old does a child usually get to be 48 inches in heigth. You know how strict Disney is in enforcing its height limits. That ride should require no height restriction.

Disney would not put a height restriction on the ride if it was not needed. The Flowrider has a minimum height of 52 inches for boogie boarding and 58 inches for surfing. I know my 3rd child missed the 52" at 8 but made it at 9 yrs old. At almost 11, she still cannot surf. She made 48" at 7 yrs old (I know that because she needed to be that tall to ride Rock n Rollercoaster).

Jess

My daughter is eleven (and will be twelve) when we sail the Dream in June. My husband and I considered the Oasis, but our daughter wanted to do the Dream. And now she wants to do the Fantasy when she is fourteen so she can go to Vibe.:cool2:

Problem must be even worse on RCCL where you need to be 52" tall just to belly surf on the Flow Rider. Kids on the Dream can ride the Aquaduck at 48" and if they fall short there, they have the Mickey Slide. RCCL doesn't have pool slides do they?

Also, according to the CDC, on average, a child will reach 48" at 7 years old and won't reach 52" until they are nearly 9. That's a pretty large group of kids who will be able to enjoy the Aquaduck, but not the Flowrider.

I, for one, am not worried!

Problem must be even worse on RCCL where you need to be 52" tall just to belly surf on the Flow Rider. Kids on the Dream can ride the Aquaduck at 48" and if they fall short there, they have the Mickey Slide. RCCL doesn't have pool slides do they?

Also, according to the CDC, on average, a child will reach 48" at 7 years old and won't reach 52" until they are nearly 9. That's a pretty large group of kids who will be able to enjoy the Aquaduck, but not the Flowrider.

Good point!

No pool slides, but a very large H2O area...and many different swimming pools. From talking with the FlowRider crew...the height limits are set by the company that makes the FlowRider...and legal makes the cruise ship implement them. My son, who barely made the height requirement...had a hard time staying in the wave. The force of the wave requires a person to be larger than a small child. I just believe the height requirements are for safety...not to disadvantage the shorter kid's group.

princess: Crystal

YES!!!! :banana: after reading comments I am liking disney more. but the only thing im worried about is that will kids think disney cruise is too ''kiddish''? children are in their teens. but dream looks awesome!

P.S. Its strange how it says Mouseketeer under my name but I havent been on a disney vacation in 5 years! ahahah! i guess that has something to do with the # of post u have on here

This is a tough decision. I would try to balance cost per day and at this late in the game for DCL, I'm sure that Freedom will be less expensive per day. Had you booked far in advance, the cost difference wouldn't have been as significant.

If you really like Disney, then DCL will have an intagible that RCCL doesn't. If that's not a big deal, then I'd say this decision is a toss-up.

If you've never been on a cruise, a 5-night will be slightly shorter in case anyone gets seasick. That said, we prefer longer cruises.

If your family is really into Disney, you will probably enjoy it. On our cruise this past March, we had extended family join us and our niece acted like she was too "big" for DCL. She didn't seem to enjoy herself as much, but she did enjoy CC! Also, she didn't really get a chance to try out the clubs as her grandparents who live out of state were on the cruise and I think she felt obligated to spend time with them so that could have been a contributing factor. Regardless, it's always a chance when a teen goes on DCL for the first time that they may think they are too big for it. If they are frequent WDW visitors, that shouldn't be an issue though IMO. Out two teens love DCL and can't wait to try out the new ships and the additional areas for teens.

We have friends who prefer RCL because they like to try the different ports. They don't cruise for the ship, but the itinerary. They say their teens are bored on Sea Days though as well. Could just be a teen thing.. :confused3

And only you know your family for which decision is right for you. Hopefully, you can read through the clutter of "Aquaduck" vs "Flowrider" (I doubt too many people use that as their exclusive decision making issue when choosing between the two lines) to see the pros and cons of both itineraries and lines to help with your decision.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter