5 months in the Most Magical Place on Earth...my College Program TR

Great posts - so excited to hear more!! Especially about the living arrangements and proximity to the parks :cool1:

Welcome! I have a post lined about about the housing so I hope you will enjoy! And we were very close to the parks...made me a happy girl :cool1:

So it was my first night in Orlando and my mom was getting ready to go to sleep. I decided to meet up with Mickey and Belle (two people I had been talking to on Facebook before the program). Mickey had moved down earlier than us because he was starting his Professional Internship and had to find his own housing. He ended up in the apartment complex that is directly across the street from Chatham and Patterson (two of the CP apartment complexes). He took me to his apartment, I met his roommates, he showed me where Chatham and Patterson were and then we headed back to the POP to meet Belle. She had just gotten back from running errands with her parents and it was pretty late so the three of us stayed in the POP food court and just talked for a while. Eventually, I got pretty tired so I called it a night.

On our first full day in Orlando, my mom and I really wanted to go to a park. Mickey was very generous and offered to let us into the park using his Maingate pass since he had some leftover from the holiday pack that needed to be used up so we took him up on that offer and decided to go to EPCOT! :cool1:

We woke up pretty early and headed to the food court for some breakfast. Boy was it COLD. This California girl thought she was prepared for winter but quickly found out how wrong she was. Here are some pictures of us heading to the food court…

iUocT.jpg

4TmK5.jpg

ICOAu.jpg

mtc9e.jpg

I don’t know about you, but I LOVE the smell of that food court :) When it comes to breakfast at the POP there is no standing around, looking at the menus for me. I head straight to the oatmeal section, no hesitation. I never see it pop up in people’s trip reports but I am here to tell you…you NEED to get it next time! My mom usually gets a Mickey waffle kids meal and a side of eggs and lets me have the chocolate milk {what a good madre :goodvibes}

After breakfast we met up with Mickey and headed to EPCOT! Since I was going to be there for five months, I let my mom choose what park we went to that day :) Epcot is definitely her favorite and for good reason! Before leaving for this trip, we had read about La Cava de Tequila and decided we needed to get in there and try their margaritas. Of course, it wasn’t our first stop since it was only about 9AM! :rotfl:

The marathon was taking place that morning so we stopped and cheered on some of the runners for a little while. Watching the runners was pretty inspiring and I told myself that someday I would come to at least run the half marathon…key word “someday” as I really hate running :lmao:

Ze9wg.jpg

Mommy at about mile 13 :rotfl2:

We made our way around World Showcase...

H0nXT.jpg

SJjl2.jpg

...and when we hit Mexico I was an acceptable time to stop and get our margarita on :thumbsup2 The three of us went inside and grabbed a table. This place is SO cozy. If you haven’t been there, definitely make it a stop on your next trip! We each ordered a different margarita…I got the blood orange, Mickey got the avocado and mommy got the jalapeño. They were all good but the avocado was by far the best. I’m not even a huge avocado fan {big sin in so cal} but that margarita was delicious and became a favorite of mine :cool1:

QmeoH.jpg

zGkLj.jpg

jNGLV.jpg

DC0iV.jpg

LLg2a.jpg

We made it to future world and rode a few rides but unfortunately had to cut the day short because I had a CP meet up to go to!

enISe.jpg

TClld.jpg

bY3nD.jpg

Following! After doing the CP myself, I love reading reports about others who did the CP

I met Belle on the Facebook group as well. She was always really sweet when we talked and since we had the same arrival/departure dates we decided to room together. She was accepted for a role in Attractions and ended up working the Great Movie Ride (her number one choice). During our program, she applied for a few professional internships so she could stay in Orlando when our program was complete and she was offered one in Guest Relations – Downtown Disney. Unfortunately, in person we did not mesh as well as we had online so we did not keep in touch after the program.

I know who this is. I worked with her at GMR

It was decided on the Facebook group for all January 10th arrivals that we would meet up at Downtown Disney the night before check-in and have dinner at T-Rex. I had never been there before so I was excited to try it but I was also really nervous/anxious to meet everyone!

Mommy and I showed up a little bit early and saw a group of people huddled outside of T-Rex and figured they must be part of our group (and trying to keep warm!:lmao:) We introduced ourselves and made small talk while we waited for more people to show up. It is SO weird to meet people in person after you have stalked them on Facebook (you know you do this too :rotfl:) It was blowing my mind to see all these people that I had talked to for a few months online in person!

I eventually found Belle and her parents and we all met up with Katie’s family and Lisa with her mommy. As I’m writing this I have a huge smile on my face…it’s funny to think about our first meeting and how differently things turned out than how I expected them to on that first night.

After standing outside and freezing our butts off for what seemed like forever, we were finally seated :) I sat next to Lisa at the dinner and we talked pretty much the whole time. Both of our moms work for Delta so they hit it off as well :thumbsup2 Again, bad diser didn’t take ANY photos at the meetup :sad2: but I promise there will be lots of photos to come!

Lisa, Katie, Belle and I decided to meet in line the next morning a little before check-in was scheduled to start so we could make sure to get the housing arrangement that we wanted. After dinner, we parted ways and my mom and I headed back to the POP. On the way back, I remember my mom telling me that she really liked Lisa and thought I would get along better with her than Belle…mommy’s know best :rotfl2:

Meanwhile, my mommy was saying the SAME thing about you :) Reading this post makes me smile so much :goodvibes

Hey, I was at Epcot the same day as you! I ran the half marathon the day before, and everyone I was with met up for lunch at San Angel Inn on Sunday for lunch. We were probably right around the corner from each other at some point... freaky right?

Hey, I was at Epcot the same day as you! I ran the half marathon the day before, and everyone I was with met up for lunch at San Angel Inn on Sunday for lunch. We were probably right around the corner from each other at some point... freaky right?

Wow, that is totally freaky! I love when you can make connections like that :)

The morning of January 10th we woke up bright and early and got ready to head to Vista Way for check-in. I was so excited! And even though I was super anxious to get there, I of course had to stop in the food court and get my oatmeal :rotfl:
After a quick breakfast, mommy and I drove to Vista Way and she dropped me off while she went to find a parking spot. The line was pretty long by the time that I got there but I quickly found the girls and jumped in line with them {last one there…whoops!} Pretty soon after I got there, they opened the gates and we were herded to the check-in area.

fnOL1.jpg

Right as we walked in, we were handed a program guide. The program guide was my lifeline for the first few days and I was excited to receive it because it felt like the first day of school in elementary school when you would get your agendas {school supply nerd here!}. We waited in line for a while they called groups up to small tables {about 5 at a time}. I honestly don’t remember what they told us at that table :confused3, I just know we signed some papers and were then told to proceed onto housing.
The housing section was fast, and a tiny bit stressful. The four of us really decided we wanted to room together ahead of time but it wasn’t guaranteed. Before you arrive, you are given the option to sign up with one roommate so Belle and I signed up together and Lisa and Katie signed up together. Other than that one roommate, you are not guaranteed a spot with your other pairs. To better your chances on getting placed together, you need to be on the same page about what complex you are requesting and how many bedrooms.
There are three housing complexes for CP participants… Chatham Square, Patterson Court and Vista Way...

L5Or2.jpg

Vista Way is the oldest of the three complexes. I knew that I definitely did not want to live here. Has a reputation as the "party complex". Has it's own bus stop and is within walking distance to various stores and restaurants.

FVkaB.jpg

Chatham Square is where I wanted to live. Not the oldest, but not the newest. Apartments ranged from 1 bedroom to 4 bedrooms. Shares a bus stop with Patterson Court. Within walking distance to Mickey's Retreat. Has terrible green carpet (eww...you will see this later :lmao:)

nwOo1.jpg

Patterson Court is definitely the prettiest complex (and it is the newest). It is the most expensive of the three. Shares a bus stop with Chatham Square (but is farther away from it). Has a reputation of being "too quiet".

The all have their pluses and minuses but we all felt that Chatham was a good common ground. We wanted a two bedroom so it would just be the four of us but decided that we would do a three bedroom if it meant the 4 of us could get together…we weren’t down for the four bedroom though…wayyy too many girls in one space.
At the door to the housing section, we were asked if we had already done roommate matching. We answered yes and they sent one representative from each pair up to the housing desk. I went up for Belle and myself and gave my preferences.
When you tell them your preferences, they enter that information into the computer and the first apartment that matches is where you are placed…there is no time to tell them that you want to live with another pair. Luckily, Katie and/or Lisa (I don’t remember who went up!) was right behind me in line so our apartment was open when they gave their preferences. Once you are placed, your roommate can meet up with you and they write your apartment number on your program guide and give you your keys. I was really anxious to find out what apartment Lisa and Katie got but when they came over we saw that we were in the same and were very excited! We were placed in a two bedroom, non-wellness (meaning we are all over 21) in Chatham, building 23 :) Tink must have sprinkled extra pixie dust on us that morning because a lot of girls in line with us did not get exactly what we wanted :tinker:
After we got our keys, we headed outside and saw our parents! They had all been talking in the parent area and decided to head over to the check-in tent and wait for us :thumbsup2 The next step was taking the bus to casting. I gave mommy my key to the apartment so she could move my bags from the POP while I was at casting since we had an ADR that evening :cool1:
We hopped on the bus to casting and were on our way!

L2CYg.jpg

teyb1.jpg

That was such a fun and exciting day!! :lovestruc Will you be posting pics of the casting building?? It's so pretty in there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter