• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

5 in a cabin on Disney Wonder

smithmac

Earning My Ears
Looking to travel with my family of 5, kids ages are 14,12 and 9. Would you do one room on the Disney Wonder to two adjoining? We typically stay at the Beach Club at Disney. How does the cabin size compare to a hotel in Disney?

The cabins are smaller than a hotel room and some of the cabins do not have a split bath. It does not cost much more to do two cabins. We usually book a balcony cabin and put the kids across the hall.

My kids are 13, 12, and 9. We sailed 5 to a room on a 4 night Kids Sail Free offer and again on a 5 night. It was tight, but worth it for the price. Because of the recommendations on this board, we booked two connecting porthole rooms for our most recent 7 night cruise. It was wonderful. Plenty of drawers and closet space. Two bathrooms! Thanks DISers!!:thumbsup2

I would sail 5 to a room again with a KSO, but my preference from now on is to get two rooms.

:rotfl2:I would say the size of our TWO rooms was about the size of a deluxe room at WDW.

The cabins are smaller than a hotel room and some of the cabins do not have a split bath. It does not cost much more to do two cabins. We usually book a balcony cabin and put the kids across the hall.

The cabins that hold 5 on the Wonder would be cat 4 or better. They all have split baths, no?

I would personally prefer 2 cabins vs 1 cat 4. This also gives you 2 TVs, 2 closets, and double the drawer space.

We have always done one cat. 4 with our 3 kids and will be doing one cat 4A on the Fantasy in July 2013 (2A, 3K:17, 15, 12). We really like the midship location with the verandah. :)

When we travel with 5, we like to do a veranda and an inside--right across the hall. Lots more space this way and much less expensive than 2 adjoining verandas or portholes.

We booked a cat R on the Wonder for my sister and I and our three kids (12 yo boy, 12 yo girl, and 16 yo girl). I guess we're a little unique because of our family situation. I want to be in the same cabin as my sister and as my son. And the same with my sister and her girls. At the same time, we don't want to be on top of each other either. And, we want enough bathrooms so that 4 women can get ready at the same time. That pops us up to at the very least a 1 BR suite.

I chose the R over the 1 or 2BR because we feel that its important that none of our kids feel like they're in steerage by having to sleep on the sofa. Perhaps that would be a different story if we were sailing as a cohesive family with all the money coming out of the same pot instead of a 'blended' one: "What? Why does my kid have to sleep on the sofa? Do I get to pay less then?" The increased expense of the cabin can save a lot of family grief.

Plus, unlike a whole hoard of people who only use their room to sleep and take a shower, I'm a 'hang around in the hotel room reading a book and looking at the view' kinda person. We're sailing to Alaska, so there will be a lot of view sailing by -- and I can open the curtains and look at it without someone yelling at me (since there's a living room with no one sleeping in it)!

We did two rooms, one verandah and one inside across the hall, with our three girls on the Wonder in August. I didn't like this situation because our girls are only 10, 7 and 5. DH and I ended up splitting up with myself and two girls in the verandah room and DH and the other daughter in the inside room. It worked okay, but wasn't ideal. I would have much rather had two connecting rooms or all of us in one larger room.

Unless you're getting a kids sail free deal or can afford one of the multi-bedroom suites, book two lower category rooms with a connecting door.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter