5 hours in the park??

KellaCat

Mouseketeer
I'll be in San Diego next month for a conference, and I'll be done the final day by 12:30. Am I crazy for wanting to make the 2 hour drive up to DL and spend 5 hours in the park (figuring I'd get there by 3:00, and it closes at 8:00)? Is it worth it? I'm from Ohio so I don't get out to CA much, and I feel like I just can't pass up the opportunity! Now I just need to convince my co-worker to either come with me or let me take the rental car for the day :)

I would do it if it was a weekday. Being February the crowds will be low and you'll be able to do a lot in 5 hours.

If you get your co-worker to go, you'll be able to use the carpool lanes and it should be less than a 2 hour drive - depending on where you coming from in SD. From Downtown SD to Disneyland it's 1-1/2 hours without traffic.

I'll be in San Diego next month for a conference, and I'll be done the final day by 12:30. Am I crazy for wanting to make the 2 hour drive up to DL and spend 5 hours in the park (figuring I'd get there by 3:00, and it closes at 8:00)? Is it worth it? I'm from Ohio so I don't get out to CA much, and I feel like I just can't pass up the opportunity! Now I just need to convince my co-worker to either come with me or let me take the rental car for the day :)

For the longest time I used to commute from Anaheim to San Diego every day long story short if border patrol decides to open up inspection (San Clemente) expect to add another 30-45 mins to your commute here is the yelp for them http://m.yelp.com/biz/border-patrol-san-clemente

Also if their is an accident expect another 30-45 min back up now assuming all goes good BP is closed and no back ups then yes you will get to the park by about 3 by the time you actually enter the park it will most likely be 4pm so if you don't mind spending the price of admission for only 4 hrs of park time then go for it.

We usually go to the park and only spend about 3-4hrs get on maybe 1-2 rides have dinner and always have a great time but then again we have a AP and come quite often

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

now assuming all goes good BP is closed and no back ups then yes you will get to the park by about 3 by the time you actually enter the park it will most likely be 4pm so if you don't mind spending the price of admission for only 4 hrs of park time then go for it.

This :thumbsup2 You have to be prepared for your entry into the park to be considerably later than you expect. It's not so simple as an hour and a half after leaving San Diego, you'll be in the parks. If you're ok with spending the money for a very limited time, I'd go for it. It's certainly do-able and would be a lot of fun, but be prepared to have less time and be ok with that.

Back when DL did shopping passes, I drove up from San Diego for an hour in the park. A friend and I bought ice cream and sat on Main Street for our hour and then checked out and went home. It was great!

If you do go, keep in mind that the stores on Main Street usually stay open an hour after the park closes, so save your shopping for last and you can eek another hour out of your visit.

If you decide that the price to go into the parks isn't worth the cost, you might still want to consider heading up and going to Downtown Disney and the hotels (you'd be able to feel some magic, buy treats and gifts you can't get a regular Disney store or online, and get a drink at Trader Sam's...and if you really want to see characters, you could always book a dinner at Goofy's Kitchen).

Well I did almost exactly that....except I was in Jacksonville FL and drove to Orlando :) went to Magic Kingdom from 4pm until 9:30pm :). So of course I say go for it!!!

Do it!! Its so worth it! Is there a possibility of buying a one way ticket home , changing dates for your trip home, or getting credit from the airline for the one you have? You'd be giving yourself an extra day or two. Weekends are definitely busier but give more entertainment options.

do remember that main st close is one hour after stated close, and you can slip into a queue 10 minutes prior to close (make it count like Space mountain) and you can then spend time at downtown Disney and end up at the bar in the grand Californian.

well, let's see. We have airline credits that are about to expire, and APs that are about to expire. So we are: driving 2 hours to get on an airport, spending about 2 hours between getting thru airport 1 and 2, and taxi to DLR. Double all that for a return trip home. All so we can spend about 6 hours in the park. -Cost in dollars will be fuel to airport, parking at airport and taxi. We have enough Disney rewards to pay for food. So, do I think your idea is crazy? Absolutely not. (but then again, maybe you shouldn't trust a lune like me :) )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter